As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Design Direction

DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
So I've been working on learning game design through Java and I've kind of hit a wall. I did all The New Boston's tutorials on YouTube along with a few others and while I understand, or at least I think I understand, most of the basic concepts, I'm having trouble making my own projects from the ground up and implementing what I learned in the tutorials. I'm just trying to learn make simple ball games, or text-games for right now but I'm finding it difficult to get started (not motivation wise, more not sure what to do).

What would you guys/girls recommend I do to get better at working on my own projects? Alternatively, what would you recommend in general to learn more about game programming in java. Should I start with working in a game engine (something like Unity) or continue working from the ground up?

Dekabal on