Options

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Melding wrote:
    I'm just going by the x-com wiki, where they claimed they fixed that.

Well, as much as I respect the wiki, they're wrong. I tried a superhuman run on UFO defense.

First (night) mission, one sectoid tore my troops apart.

Every other mission was easy. Then I ran the numbers for kills, and confirmed that it had shifted back to beginner.

Hex editing can fix it, though. Just remember Superhuman will be much, much worse.

Is it just super human or all of them? cause so far the numbers seem right, but i could just be getting large beginner crafts.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Flay wrote:
    So who owns the rights to the XCOM franchise now? I assumed 2K had bought them out.

Yup.

And 2K owns Firaxis, so...

Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    I'm just going by the x-com wiki, where they claimed they fixed that.

Well, as much as I respect the wiki, they're wrong. I tried a superhuman run on UFO defense.

First (night) mission, one sectoid tore my troops apart.

Every other mission was easy. Then I ran the numbers for kills, and confirmed that it had shifted back to beginner.

Hex editing can fix it, though. Just remember Superhuman will be much, much worse.

Is it just super human or all of them? cause so far the numbers seem right, but i could just be getting large beginner crafts.

All of them. Probably just large beginner.

Unless you're running mods. That would fix things, probably.

Oh, and I'm curious. What difficulty you play TFTD on, and how much reloading did you do?

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Flay wrote: »
    So who owns the rights to the XCOM franchise now? I assumed 2K had bought them out.

2k does. They do not however, have rights to the source code, and therefore can not patch the original games.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:

2k does. They do not however, have rights to the source code, and therefore can not patch the original games.

If I remember right, the source code is lost. Which is a pity.

They found the beta code for Alliance, though. Good time to be an X-Com fan.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    They have the rights to the code, but the code doesn't exist anymore.

Which is tragic.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Flay wrote:

Yup.

And 2K owns Firaxis, so...

Oh that makes sense.

In any case this is pretty cool news. I wonder if it'll tie-in with the FPS adaptation.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Alright, time to figure out how to use this thing to fix difficulty.

also RE:armour. it's less "Don't use armour until you have good tactics" It's more I prioritize armour lower then say, laser weapons and plasma beams, so by the time i am getting into armour personal armour is functionally useless and power armour is getting to the point where i will sometimes question its purpose. I still throw it on important people because a 40% chance of my best sniper pulling through a hit is better then 0. But that unproven rookie? He can die, i don't even care.

I had an officer in Tftd, 115% accuracy. First guy i put in meg. Ion armour. he mathmatically could not miss with a snap shot. i would perch him on the top of the sub and kill everyone.

He died in the final mission, i was heart broken.

Melding on
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

also RE:armour. it's less "Don't use armour until you have good tactics" It's more I prioritize armour lower then say, laser weapons and plasma beams, so by the time i am getting into armour personal armour is functionally useless and power armour is getting to the point where i will sometimes question its purpose. I still throw it on important people because a 40% chance of my best sniper pulling through a hit is better then 0. But that unproven rookie? He can die, i don't even care.

I had an officer in Tftd, 115% accuracy. First guy i put in meg. Ion armour. he mathmatically could not miss with a snap shot. i would perch him on the top of the sub and kill everyone.

Well, he would have died anyway from the alien city exploding.

For me, the priority is armor after lasers, assuming there's no psi on the table. Armor increases survivability by a healthy percent, while plasma (excluding the heavy) doesn't do much better than the laser except against mutons and 'lids.

Rushing armor also gives a chance to have flying suits before 'lids show up.

I know what you mean about cherished officers. Had one in my successful Ironman run of the original. Of course, she was only a mediocre sniper. Mediocre psi.

Her primary virtue was shared with Senor Chang and cockroaches. She wouldn't die. Too tough, too stubborn, and in a borderline unique trait for X-com, too damn lucky.

Survived from first contact to mission accomplished, in the first spot in the Skyranger all the while.

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Can I sign up for the Let's Play right now?

Cause that would be awesome

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I was thinking, and despite playing quite a lot of the original X-Com, I have never beaten more than three or four missions. Every time I fight, I get wiped out. I think I'm just terrible at turn-based strategy games, I can't ever win at them even on the easiest difficulty even though I loved X-Com and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and such.

I hope this one has an easy difficulty that is actually easy so I can see what it's like to win sometimes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

For me, the priority is armor after lasers, assuming there's no psi on the table. Armor increases survivability by a healthy percent, while plasma (excluding the heavy) doesn't do much better than the laser except against mutons and 'lids.

I know what you mean about cherished officers. Had one in my successful Ironman run of the original. Of course, she was only a mediocre sniper. Mediocre psi.

Her primary virtue was shared with Senor Chang and cockroaches. She wouldn't die. Too tough, too stubborn, and in a borderline unique trait for X-com, too damn lucky.

Survived from first contact to mission accomplished, in the first spot in the Skyranger all the while.

Well, yeah, but That guy was with me from day 4. (first wave of recruits) He and the McLoud brothers.

Oh man the McLouds.

Also, how does X-com util work? I can't get it to run properly. hitting 1 does nothing.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Darmak wrote:
    I was thinking, and despite playing quite a lot of the original X-Com, I have never beaten more than three or four missions. Every time I fight, I get wiped out. I think I'm just terrible at turn-based strategy games, I can't ever win at them even on the easiest difficulty even though I loved X-Com and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and such.

I hope this one has an easy difficulty that is actually easy so I can see what it's like to win sometimes.

Everybody except Fishman starts X-Com by losing everyone repeatedly.

Or reloading like a jerk for the whole first couple of games. The important thing is, you get better. And one day, you'll win. Without constant reloading. It is the best.

Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

Well, yeah, but That guy was with me from day 4. (first wave of recruits) He and the McLoud brothers.

Oh man the McLouds.

Also, how does X-com util work? I can't get it to run properly. hitting 1 does nothing.

Dunno. Never got it to work myself. There's a guide on strategycore.co.uk, I think.

And my core 4 for that game were there from day 1. The Joneses, the Commander, and the Colonel Commissar. Man, that was a good game. Delta Green did their job well.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Can I sign up for the Let's Play right now?

Cause that would be awesome

Alright, but until you hit a rank quickly, well, i hope your family is ready for a secret funeral.

• Options
    to my credit, i never got a game over playing. I came damn close. like i was missing the shut down score by like 30. Lost my troop transport, but the next month i managed to get back into okay, and then eventually i just started a new game because i messed up research order so i couldn't ever beat the game.

So, i guess that counts as a failure.

Sometimes, fuck terror from the deep.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    to my credit, i never got a game over playing. I came damn close. like i was missing the shut down score by like 30. Lost my troop transport, but the next month i managed to get back into okay, and then eventually i just started a new game because i messed up research order so i couldn't ever beat the game.

So, i guess that counts as a failure.

Sometimes, fuck terror from the deep.

Agreed.

Very much agreed. That last mission can rot in hell.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    The old X-Coms are things that may run on this laptop and you guys are making them sound excellent

Might grab them in the future

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Melding wrote:

If I remember right, the source code is lost. Which is a pity.

They found the beta code for Alliance, though. Good time to be an X-Com fan.

I missed that news.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Alright, so the McLoud.

Carl McLoud was a Day One guy. Alright shot, good moral, durable like wow, all around dependable. It was a legitimately sad day when he got mind controlled and ran away to join a deep one circus. Even though this happened.

readytouseguass.jpg

Then I get Ted McLoud.

I thought i was getting another Carl.

Yeah, no.

Dude started off with 38 accuracy. bravery of 30.

But somehow, this guy, would not die.

It took an underwater city exploding to kill him. And I'm pretty sure he crawled out of that one. Dude would just not die. his hit points where even that high.

commandermcloud.jpg

Took this one or two missions before the end.

Fucking, would not die.

Melding on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The original runs really well on a Laptop, although there can be some jiggery pokery required to get it working properly. DOSBox and DirectX palette issues, clockcycles, that sort of thing.

My entire X-Com LP was done on a 2004 Laptop until about 6 months ago, when I moved it to a Netbook.

Fishman on
  • Options
    Seriously, Carl, did you really need 195 gauss rounds?

No. of course not.

• Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    I miss the McLouds.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    I have a sitcom idea.

The McLouds.

It's a show about the families of two brothers who fight aleins for a living. But they're both generally incompetent. With Chief Junger Unger constantly breathing down their necks, what crazy antics will they get into next?

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Seriously, Carl, did you really need 195 gauss rounds?

No. of course not.

No-one needs 195 Gauss rounds. Not even Carl.

No-one who is not named Carl needs 5 Gauss rounds. X-Com Gauss weapons suck.

• Options
    Gauss weapons are pretty dang handy. It's just lobstermen.

Lobstermen make me hate all ranged weapons. that is one thing Ted did well, he was strong enough to carry a rifle and a drill. so he could kill lobstermen.

Which was good because they also didn't do psi stuff.

• Options
    that said, i could go through all of ufo defence with just laser rifles. and i can't do all gauss in tftd.

that would be madness.

Maybe if i figure out how to use the thing and then give gauss unlimited ammo?

• Options
    PS Please add this to the OP.

post11325792812.jpg

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Gauss weapons are pretty dang handy. It's just lobstermen.

Lobstermen make me hate all ranged weapons. that is one thing Ted did well, he was strong enough to carry a rifle and a drill. so he could kill lobstermen.

Which was good because they also didn't do psi stuff.

Everything is, at best, neutral on Gauss.

Enemies with resistance?

Lobstermen
    Deep Ones
    Hallucinoids
    Tentaculats
    Triscenes
    Xarquids
    Bio drones
    Tasoths

That's more than half of all enemies. All enemies take more damage, even assuming equal firepower, from Sonic weapons. And Sonic packs more kick ignoring those resistances. (A sonic PISTOL has more power than the heavy Gauss). It's slow, but if an alien gets hit, he stays down. Only advantage to Gauss is burstfire, and that gets dinged by resistance and armor for every shot.

Also, rushing sonic means you get the Sonic Displacer faster.

I love the sonic displacer.

• Options
    Yeah, but it looks and sounds cool.

And if McLoud goes rogue, i know my armour protects me.

McLoud Type events are common.

• Options
    holy butts i think i got it to work

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Yeah, but it looks and sounds cool.

And if McLoud goes rogue, i know my armour protects me.

McLoud Type events are common.

Okay, the safety thing is a benefit. Drills and gauss rifles won't hurt your guys, and they kill the enemy.

The catch is space. Sonic weapons let you keep armed in the field. Maybe one spare mag to be safe. Gauss you have to bring your own stuff. And armor is amazing against everything in TFTD.

• Options
    right, that is the one reason it is worse then lasers. Ammo. Unlimited gauss though? i think it could carry me to the end. And i will work to prove it. This here xcom util thing can let you have unlimited ammo gauss. so that will be my new feat. i will beat x-com: Terror from the deep. Human weapons only (ranged).

Except for subs. probably.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Darmak wrote:

Everybody except Fishman starts X-Com by losing everyone repeatedly.

Or reloading like a jerk for the whole first couple of games. The important thing is, you get better. And one day, you'll win. Without constant reloading. It is the best.

That's the thing, I probably spent a good 20-30 hours playing X-Com and I'd say about 100 hours in HoMM2 and several hours in various other turn based strategy games and I just can't win, ever. I'll lose 9 out of 10 battles I fight and always get game over screens and yet for games like X-Com and HoMM2 (and recently 5) I keep going back to them.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Alternate rule, everyone but McLouds can only use Gauss weapons once they become available.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Who did the best X-Com LP, I want to drown myself in more X-Com stories

• Options
    Fishman. Read his.

I read chiasaur's until about the time i died.

Grievous mishandling of Melding.

I want to do one of apocalypse but i don't even know man.

Going to wait for this one. see if i can't finish it before fishman.

• Options
    I prefer Syndicate's Gauss weapons.

***VWAAAAAPP***

• Options
    i haven't played any of the syndicate games. tried to play them with a friend when they were new, i had no idea what was going on, forgot about them entirely.

That is why i can be excited about the new one

• Options
    Gumpy wrote:
    Who did the best X-Com LP, I want to drown myself in more X-Com stories

Yeah, Fish's is pretty great, but if you still need more, the LP archive has some good stuff.

TFTD's video, but the other two sound like what you want.

UFO defense

and

Apocalypse.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Here's how you deal with lobstermen.

Option 1) Research the torpedo launcher ASAP and nuke the entire map from orbit

Option 2) Don't do lobstermen missions

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Jasconius wrote:
    Here's how you deal with lobstermen.

Option 1) Research the torpedo launcher ASAP and nuke the entire map from orbit

Option 2) Don't do lobstermen missions

Fun fact: Both options will fail.

Option 1: Lobstermen take less than one third damage from explosives. It's physically impossible to one hit kill a Lobbie with a DPL. You're better off with sharp sticks and harsh language.

Option 2: Live Lobsterman Commanders are required for victory.

Have fun.

chiasaur11 on
This discussion has been closed.