Options

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    well, for skeletons you don't really want spikes and stuff. a simple flanged works however.

• Options
    JunpeiJunpei Registered User regular
    A flanged mace isn't the ideal for skeletons, since it was designed around puncturing/caving armour, a simple ball mace is the best in this situation, designed entirely around crushing bones on relatively soft targets.

• Options
    well, looking at some of them, because it would deliver rather blunt force on a concentrated area it would snap bone pretty alright. you just don't want it too narrow when it is almost an edge.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    You think there'll be a problem smashing skellys with one of these:

SG-3101.jpg

?

Nah, me neither.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Pfft, the broken surface gives opportunity for the head to get deflected or stuck in between bone, you want a solid rounded head to make sure you break those annoying boney bastards into tiny tiny pieces.

I'm just talking about ideals here, if you're only smashing skellies then you might as well bring the sure thing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    We should organise a field test of the relative effectiveness of different types of maces against the human skeleton.

I volunteer to do the smashing, someone will have to supply the weaponry, because I can't afford to buy one mace let alone a few different types, and you can be the skeleton.

• Options
    Well it's not like I'm using this skeleton anyway, sure! >.>

• Options
    Oh hey wait! I can make the maces! I can weld! It'll be easy. Somebody gimme a sheet of half inch plate, an oxy set, some 1 inch round bar, and a mig welder.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Oh man, making a homemade mace would be badass. What kind would you make?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    All of 'em. I even know where I can get a big fuck-off ball bearing for the standard ball mace, too.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Holy poop, I just booted the game up, landed next to a UFO. Unloaded all my dudes, and then everyone died.

Everyone

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote:
    Holy poop, I just booted the game up, landed next to a UFO. Unloaded all my dudes, and then everyone died.

Everyone

Welcome to X-Com, rookie.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    Ok to be fair there were three survivors, and only one of them went berserk. The second just panicked and the third marched on like a trooper

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Gumpy wrote:
    Ok to be fair there were three survivors, and only one of them went berserk. The second just panicked and the third marched on like a trooper

Oh.

That's nothing. 5 men down is a perfectly acceptable fatality rate!

What were you up against?

• Options
    don't bunch people up, grenades kill.

As well, you can survive a nuke going off one square away if there is a wall between you.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And if you find Patrick Stewart, hope it's the right one.

Great things will occur.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote:
    And if you find Patrick Stewart, hope it's the right one.

Great things will occur.

Maybe.

Lightning twice, same place, etc.

If you go assuming only Patrick Stewarts are worth watching, you might miss someone else making a play for glory.

Then again, sometimes they're hard to miss. Plasma bending around them is a hint.

• Options
    I keep an eye out of Ungers and Thompsons. Tom Thompson was a god damn hero.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    I keep an eye out of Ungers and Thompsons. Tom Thompson was a god damn hero.

Lyudmila Andianov is the best I've had. Nothing exceptional on paper, but she was a survivor.

First volunteer for X-Com. First person on Mars. And present for most of the major missions in between, despite the best efforts of every alien with a plasma gun, every weak willed or panicky rook, and her tendency to take point every time she was on assignment.

And, of course, she had a disappointing psi score. It's X-Com.

• Options
    i was so happy Junger Unger has a M.C Strength of 80. That man, was a miracle.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Junger Unger is a wonderful name.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    It really is.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:
    i was so happy Junger Unger has a M.C Strength of 80. That man, was a miracle.

I've gotten lucky, don't get me wrong.

80s and 90somes. Even a couple 100s.

Just Andianov wasn't one of them. Score in the 60s. Good enough to be trusted (never mind controlled, never berserked, never panicked when anything was on the line), but not good enough to use an amp.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    60 is not bad at all.

i didn't give Unger a mc whatever because it was a waste of his talents but man was a stone wall.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    60 is not bad at all.

i didn't give Unger a mc whatever because it was a waste of his talents but man was a stone wall.

MC a waste of talents?

I don't care if you're tougher to kill than Rasputin, you snipe like Hayha, and your quickdraw makes Roland look sloppy. If you can use an amp at 80, that's where you'll being doing X-Com the most good.

And that's 80, the bare minimum where I start training people for psi.

A natural 100 doesn't leave the skyranger.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I finish Superhuman no-psi.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Man's got to have challenges.

• Options
    strength of 89, skill of 22, accuracy of 107 Health of 60.

Dude was meant for things not mind controlling. plus, i had just beaten x-com using psi to break the game, so i wanted to do tftd without it. i just got the school set up to screen.

• Options
    Fishman wrote:

Man's got to know his limitations.

• Options
    also, am i the only one that wanted telekinesis.

That would have been awesome.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Fishman wrote:

The one I haven't done is Human tech only at difficulties above Beginner.
    No Plasma, No Small Launcher, No Blaster Launcher. Personal Armour only. Avenger only to get to Mars.
    Laser Tank is as good as it gets.

Fuck me that gets hard.

Fishman on
  • Options
    i was just talking about doing that in terror from the deep.

It'd actually be easier in UFO Defence.

The lack of power armour is the killer.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Fishman wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Fishman wrote:

The one I haven't done is Human tech only at difficulties above Beginner.
    No Plasma, No Small Launcher, No Blaster Launcher. Personal Armour only. Avenger only to get to Mars.
    Laser Tank is as good as it gets.

Fuck me that gets hard.

Heh.

Alright. I take it back. Man don't need to know his limitations. That sounds fun.

I might download Util, try it on vet.

I'll be slaughtered, but hey. Not the end of the world.

Guessing the plans will involve a lot of running.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Laser rifles are incredible weapons throughout the game.

I went to Mars with just laser rifles and psi-amps.

Your mortality rate is going to be high, sure, but the money you make selling all the alien stuff should cover it.

It sounds hard but completely doable.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:

Your mortality rate is going to be high, sure, but the money you make selling all the alien stuff should cover it.

The problem is no amps.

No scanners.

No stun gas bombs.

Getting a commander's going to involve a lot of blood.

I guess it depends on the amount of reloading. Some, I could rock it.

None, well, that's messier.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Melding wrote:

The problem is no amps.

No scanners.

No stun gas bombs.

Getting a commander's going to involve a lot of blood.

I guess it depends on the amount of reloading. Some, I could rock it.

None, well, that's messier.

Yeah. Yeah.

sigh

Yeah.

• Options
    scanners?

• Options
    i think the real killer would be no super radar.

That shit is important.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    I'm guessing that's what he means by "scanners", because motion scanners are totally human tech.

• Options
    yeah, hyper-wave decoder is pretty good to have. i don't even use motion scanners.

I can see the use, but i tend to just use a rookie grind house.

This discussion has been closed.