As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Nah, he meant the mind probe, to identify an Alien Commander. Without it, you're just guessing which alien you might need.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Last time I played this I tried to establish 'Total Control' over Earth. It was on Veteran difficulty and I put a major base on every continent - spreading out from my original base using the guys who survived into my Elite squad to command their own teams. I ended up with 9 bases, each with a Firestorm and their separate Lightning's to control that pocket of the country.

Something weird happened after a few years of this. Countries kept falling to alien subversion. I refused to go to Mars and it seemd to just get worse no matter how many UFOs I brought down.

I assume, to this day, there is some code in Enemy Unknown that just makes you automatically lose if you don't attack Mars.

Anyone else run into this?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote:
    Fishman wrote:
    I want an X-COM-style squad game in a fantasy setting, where you start off with human soldiers and gradually influence other races to join you by protecting their provinces from the incursions of Lovecraftian monsters.

The Elves have incredible accuracy, but refuse to use any weapon more advanced than a bow. The Golems are immune to poisons/magical shit, but are slow, clumsy and make lots of noise when they move. The Pixies have low health, but can fly and open up certain magical "tech trees" for you to research. Dwarves have darkvision.

...and so on. Extra points for implementing sound as a legit sensory input during missions -- like when you have a soldier selected, you hear what that soldier hears. So if there's a hideous swampthing breathing heavily just around the corner, you'll know.

Standing near a river, trying to figure out whether that's a Chrysalid's breathing you can hear, or just the water trickling by.

I think I pitched that game as an update of Dark Legions/Syndicate/Myth hybrid to NAS as a possible project idea once.

I assume it's on-track for a Q3 2012 release, then?

Sadly I think the only thing being released by @NotASenator this year has been a 9-month co-development project with his wife due for delivery Q1.

Actually, I've been playing with FLEET again recently. I figure it's been about a year so it's time to get back to it.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote:
    Fishman wrote:
    I want an X-COM-style squad game in a fantasy setting, where you start off with human soldiers and gradually influence other races to join you by protecting their provinces from the incursions of Lovecraftian monsters.

The Elves have incredible accuracy, but refuse to use any weapon more advanced than a bow. The Golems are immune to poisons/magical shit, but are slow, clumsy and make lots of noise when they move. The Pixies have low health, but can fly and open up certain magical "tech trees" for you to research. Dwarves have darkvision.

...and so on. Extra points for implementing sound as a legit sensory input during missions -- like when you have a soldier selected, you hear what that soldier hears. So if there's a hideous swampthing breathing heavily just around the corner, you'll know.

Standing near a river, trying to figure out whether that's a Chrysalid's breathing you can hear, or just the water trickling by.

I think I pitched that game as an update of Dark Legions/Syndicate/Myth hybrid to NAS as a possible project idea once.

Sadly I think the only thing being released by @NotASenator this year has been a 9-month co-development project with his wife due for delivery Q1.

Actually, I've been playing with FLEET again recently. I figure it's been about a year so it's time to get back to it.

Oh, you shameless flirt.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    Last time I played this I tried to establish 'Total Control' over Earth. It was on Veteran difficulty and I put a major base on every continent - spreading out from my original base using the guys who survived into my Elite squad to command their own teams. I ended up with 9 bases, each with a Firestorm and their separate Lightning's to control that pocket of the country.

Something weird happened after a few years of this. Countries kept falling to alien subversion. I refused to go to Mars and it seemd to just get worse no matter how many UFOs I brought down.

I assume, to this day, there is some code in Enemy Unknown that just makes you automatically lose if you don't attack Mars.

No. There's just infiltration missions that succeed despite your best efforts. But mankind will never fully fall to the invaders as long as one country stands against them!

Thanks to a game glitch, that country is Russia. Russia is X-Com's best friend.

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote:
    Fishman wrote:
    Fishman wrote:

Oh, you shameless flirt.

Your incredible bone structure just makes me want to develop.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

No. There's just infiltration missions that succeed despite your best efforts. But mankind will never fully fall to the invaders as long as one country stands against them!

No shit, Russia? There's a message in here somewhere.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    MegaMan001 wrote:

No shit, Russia? There's a message in here somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I'm kinda hoping in the new one if you take down the invasion fleet it will stop the country from turning.

Granted, shooting down two battle ships is hard as balls.

but if i do it, that should prove my dedication to that damn county, rather then just waiting to just clear them out when they land.

Cause man the resources.

Also, i never use the mind probe. i just stun everything on an alien ship and assume i got them. I usually do, sometimes i get something else interesting too.

• Options
    I guess this is why i'm like "pff, alien tech" i mostly used things cause they were cooler. things that didn't seem super useful i barely used.

In short, i think letting other people decide my tech tree development might force me to use more interesting strategy.

• Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    I would not want to play an X-Com game without blaster launchers. They are seriously my go answer for damn near everything. Snakeman terror mission? Level everything. Ethereal mission? Level everything. Alien base assault? Level everything. Assaulting a big UFO? Blast the command center to rubble.

God I love those things. I will sacrifice so many rookies to get my first launcher and ammo to research.

sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I was never a fan of plasma. Only ever really consistently used it on my interceptors. Laser weapons were far more useful to me. And shit, you can crank out the production and earn some cash.

• Options
    plasma rifles are actually dang useful. they tend to get skipped in favour of heavy plasma, but it's one of of the easiest weapons to hit 100% accuracy on that isn't a guided missile.

And heavy plasma you end up with so much ammo you're stupid not to use it. it weighs less then a heavy laser and can kill a muton in one hit. nothing not to love.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Lasers had unlimited ammo. And i was massively paranoid about using my stocks of elerium unless I had to.

• Options
    i never once have built ammo for plasma weapons. Sonic weapons either.

you pretty much always get a weapon and a clip, if you sell off some of the spare weapons you have more clips. typically a soldier with a loaded plasma rifle and a spare clip is going to be fine enough. and you can always have other people share, take them of corpses, so on.

That said i did go to mars with only laser weapons but that was more a concern about space, i left a number of laser rifles on the surface of mars.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Karl wrote:
    Lasers had unlimited ammo. And i was massively paranoid about using my stocks of elerium unless I had to.

I broke out heavy plasmas for special occasions. Chryssalids and the like. Otherwise, laser rifles and pistols worked well enough.

Laser pistols can fire 12 shots a turn. Fastest firing of any gun in UFO defense or Terror from the Deep.

• Options
    by mid june i tend to have about 20 heavy plasma and 50% more clips. and you only get more.

I bet you people deploy laser tanks as well.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    by mid june i tend to have about 20 heavy plasma and 50% more clips. and you only get more.

Sometimes.

They're the best weapon in the game to deal with Sectopods.

• Options
    yeah, but a squadie with a heavy plasma is going to be just as effective. and you can have four of them in the same space, and if one of them dies, it's not even a problem.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    yeah, but a squadie with a heavy plasma is going to be just as effective. and you can have four of them in the same space, and if one of them dies, it's not even a problem.

It takes massively more damage from the laser tank. 167 versus 92. And Sectopods have massive armor, making single shot high damage a much better pick than multiple weaker shots. Plus, it costs less E-115 than those squaddies if they have decent armor. If they don't, they die when they twitch near the 'pod.

I mean, in general I'm a hovertank fan, but laser tanks have their limited uses.

• Options
    you hit the thing from behind you can take it in two pulses of fire. maaybe three, depending on how good your man is.

I don't give armour to squadies outside of personal well into the game, where i'm battle ethereals and camping supply ships. By that point, alien supplies are being sold off to make space for power armour. and everything in the field can kill that laser tank that cost you like half a million dollars and several days to make, in one hit.

• Options
    that said, i tend to make one, leave it in the base, just in case things start going really wrong and i need something in a skyranger with a gun.

It has never come to that however.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Cool. Looking forward to this.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Melding wrote:

Sometimes.

They're the best weapon in the game to deal with Sectopods.

Blaster launchers.

Or mind control one part of it and watch it blow itself to shit on the aliens turn.

Typically I do not play X-Com with any great form of finesse. Most of the time I just use the biggest hammer I can find.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    hey, biggest hammer gets the job done.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:
    hey, biggest hammer gets the job done.

Biggest hammer costs .5 rookies a shot.

And, technically, the laser tank does more average damage a shot. Then again, if we're getting out the Blaster Bomb, subtly and finesse regarding math? Pretty much out the window. All that matters is broken walls, huge flaming skulls, and crumpled corpses.

Blaster Bomb launcher is love.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    heavy plasma is the most powerful non blaster bomb weapon. more powerful then both the plasma and laser tank. laser tank is also fragile and a single heavy plasma round can wreak it. it might last as many as three. It also costs more then ten times a rookie. not sure how many more times if you include all the other gear, probably closer to 3 to 5.

Unless you mean Laser tank vs Blaster bomb. Then who cares, one levels a city block one might kill a dude.

But not a lobster man. Fuck those guys.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    heavy plasma is the most powerful non blaster bomb weapon. more powerful then both the plasma and laser tank. laser tank is also fragile and a single heavy plasma round can wreak it. it might last as many as three. It also costs more then ten times a rookie. not sure how many more times if you include all the other gear, probably closer to 3 to 5.

Unless you mean Laser tank vs Blaster bomb. Then who cares, one levels a city block one might kill a dude.

But not a lobster man. Fuck those guys.

Heavy plasma does a little more damage. To non-sectopods.

Sectopods are ripped up by lasers and take plasma fairly well. Thus, laser tank's one job.

A rook with personal armor and a heavy plasma is about half as expensive in lab time and raw cost as a laser tank. But, right out the gate he's useless meat. One shot, he's got better than fifty fifty odds of dead, he probably can't shoot, and he's a possible psi liability.

The tank has as much armor as the rook has health, is immune to mind control, and can shoot tolerably. It's a guarantee of mediocrity compared to the rookie crapshoot.

Meanwhile, the hovertank is genuinely good. Faster than the best vet, tougher than a flying suit (Less than 1% odds of a one hit kill from a heavy plasma), can shoot as well as a good rookie, it's an excellent stopgap while your vets are in the hospital or the morgue.

• Options
    hovertanks are great. I won't bad mouth them.

Track tanks aren't that great. Sure it might be better in one specific situation, but outside of that i would rather have the four mans i can fit in the plane.

Also, what kind of idiot makes heavy plasmas?

It's like buying a bike when people are throwing perfectly usable ones in your front yard.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    hovertanks are great. I won't bad mouth them.

Track tanks aren't that great. Sure it might be better in one specific situation, but outside of that i would rather have the four mans i can fit in the plane.

Also, what kind of idiot makes heavy plasmas?

It's like buying a bike when people are throwing perfectly usable ones in your front yard.

I just compared the plasmas to the opportunity cost.

IE, how much dosh you make by selling them. It's a lot of money.

• Options
    Yeah, but at the same time, why the hell would you sell them?

They are literally the best man portable weapon. They are light enough almost everyone can use them, hold 35 rounds, burst fire, accurate, most powerful non high explosive weapon, and free.

Yeah, laser rifles are good, but in most battles 35 rounds might as well be unlimited ammo.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Yeah, but at the same time, why the hell would you sell them?

They are literally the best man portable weapon. They are light enough almost everyone can use them, hold 35 rounds, burst fire, accurate, most powerful non high explosive weapon, and free.

Yeah, laser rifles are good, but in most battles 35 rounds might as well be unlimited ammo.

Because they are worth 4 rookies a pop, and you can scrounge them in the middle of a fight if you need them, then sell them after.

Lasers fire faster and are free once you've made them. You only notice the difference when fighting Mutons or Chryssalids.

• Options
    yeah but you only need like 14, and sell the rest after that, and you never paid to make them in the first place.

But then i typically get a laser cannon assembly plant set up in mid march to so, so money isn't much a concern for me a lot of the time.

Also you notice the difference with ethereals as well.

• Options
    fun story, i downloaded X-Com the Two sides a long time ago, was playing it for a bit, got bored around the time Ethereals showed up. started a new game.

Mid January i spot a craft on the ground. Land, small scout holding a single Ethereal.

"hm, weird" so shot it dead after a few turns. and when about my business. Next shirt medium scout, full of Ethereals.

Before i got laser rifless i had to respond to an ethereal terror mission. It was, Hell.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So I'm currently playing XCom for the first time

about 5 missions in I'm greeted with this:
    Untitled-4.jpg

I, umm... hmmmmm

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I got hit with a stun bomb at the start of a terror mission and 3 manned the rest of the thing.

I mean, the civilians didn't appreciate the rockets, but.

• Options
    Evacuation might be a good idea there. Just a thought.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular

Untitled-4.jpg

I, umm... hmmmmm

so, alien grenade at the LZ, right?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options

Untitled-4.jpg

I, umm... hmmmmm

Rule one: Don't bunch people up.

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    So reading this thread brought back the memory of the quickest xcom defeat I've ever had:

After trying out some gameplay after reading some lp's of ufo unknown, I felt like I had a good grasp of how the game was played (Stop laughing, It was my second time I played the game). I made a base, started the base buildings and tried to get some good reaction soldiers. I felt all ready for the future attacks by the xenos scum!.... And nothing happend. For a month. I began to get scared so I started sending out my interceptors on patrols in order to try to find anything at all. Nothing... nothing at all. Two months later and production of various combat equipment started. Suddenly an ALARM! A ship was found, sending my closest interceptor. It was a small scout and quickly blew up. Proud atleast that, I did something I sent it home.

One week later three ships pop up on the rader heading straight for my base. I sent my interceptor against them but they had no chance, it was an attack ship. They landed and started the invasion. With no experience my recruits tried to fight back against ufos and sectoids. I had no chance and lost the base. The game was over, it was then I saw... Xcom has no mercy for the weak. If you aren't clever/lucky/good enough, YOU WILL DIE.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.