Options

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    I once didn't see a UFO until March. It was excellent.

I rolled up with like all the human tech. leveled the place and began on personal armour

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Well it was the first turn, units kind of start bunched up

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    So I'm currently playing XCom for the first time

about 5 missions in I'm greeted with this:
    Untitled-4.jpg

I, umm... hmmmmm

Rule one: Don't bunch people up.

Aliens use grenades seldom enough I'd move it to rule three or four.

Rule one is: Kitten, what I think I'm saying is, sometimes, shit happens, somebody's gotta deal with it, and who're you gonna call?

• Options
    but they also use stub bombs, and blaster bombs. Rule one is never cluster. Take a few turns to get guys onto the field.

I typically do 4 or so at a time. exiting on different sides. try to set it up so there is a solid object between some of them so a single grenade can't hit all of them.

It's a marathon, not a sprint.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Rule one: You will wipe a lot when first playing this game

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They use grenades a lot if you put 8 guys up in a tiny space

hardest part of x-com is pre-armor, where you have no margin for error with troop movement and placement

Jasconius on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    A grenade was the first thing I ever met in X-Com

It made me very sad

• Options
    Generally speaking I move two troops in each cardinal direction with about 3 spaces between them, then send a few rovers out alone in points of interest on the map.

I clear outside, then congregate around the ship at a safe distance before I storm in.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I tend to split my ground team into two combat squads to sweep the map. Then one covers whilst the other breaches the UFO. When i finally figured out how to set reaction fire, I started finding this game A LOT easier.

The most traumatic was my first experience with a sectoid Psi commander. Bastard mind controlled one of my troopers and he open fired on the rest of the team. Not knowing what to do, I....had the rest of team return fire. He dropped two troopers before he was put down.

Karl on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    So does this mean the original can finally get an xbla port? With turn-based humans v aliens multiplayer? Because I've been asking for that shit since the Xbox Live Arcade became a thing.

Also now let's get Star Control II some fresh lovin'.

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    PolecatPolecat What does the polecat say? Registered User regular
    welp......... I've been looking for a reason to build a new windows computer

sigpic-1.jpg
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    Also WTF, Steam? You're just running X-COM through DOS box, it's not like that doesn't exist for mac. Why are you making this harder for me??

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    I have a nice Mac app wrapper for TFTD via Dosbox. Also it's a damn site more stable than the windows version.

I routinely crash in the windows version. Never had a problem on Mac.

• Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    I tend to send my men forward in waves, instructing the ones at the back to loot the bodies of their fallen brothers if they expect to hold a gun

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So does this mean the original can finally get an xbla port? With turn-based humans v aliens multiplayer? Because I've been asking for that shit since the Xbox Live Arcade became a thing.

Also now let's get Star Control II some fresh lovin'.

Fuck. Yes.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Copied wholesale from the G&T thread:
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/09/first-screens-and-details-of-xcom-enemy-unknown.aspx
    HQ_Large1280.jpg

DeepWoods1280.jpg
    Wasn't there another XCOM game?
    Yes, 2K Marin is developing a previously announced first-person shooter, simply called XCOM. That game was originally scheduled to come out last year, but has since been delayed out of 2011.

How do those games relate to each other?
    The shooter takes place earlier in the fiction, chronicling the aliens' first attacks in the United States. The strategy game we're talking about here deals with the global response to the later full-blown alien invasion of Earth.

So this is some kind of RTS?
    No, not in the way the term "RTS" typically applies to games like StarCraft. The real-time element of XCOM is confined to the global view, where the player keeps track of known UFOs and abductions going on around the world. Managing research and development at the XCOM organization's secret base can be done at the player's leisure, and all combat is completely turn-based.

You switch between real-time and turn-based?
    Yes. When your aerial transport lands at an abduction site, the game switches to a tactical view and you command your squad of personalized soldiers in battle against an unknown alien threat.

So what do you do in the real-time global view?
    On the strategic layer, players direct research into alien technology, give their engineers and foundries fabrication requests, interact with the nations of the world (who have to be mollified to secure funding for XCOM), intercept airborne UFOs with jet fighters, level up their soldiers and recruit new ones, and dispatch the Skyranger transport to engage alien incursions on the ground.

Is this a remake of the original?
    Kind of. Re-imagining is probably a better term. Firaxis' XCOM: Enemy Unknown doesn't directly copy the underlying game systems – for instance, soldiers have different stats than they did in the 1994 original – but the concepts are still here. Players still have to manage multiple resources and threats on a global scale in a seemingly hopeless war against extraterrestrial forces with far better technology and capabilities.

Is this going to be dumbed down for the "wider console audience"?
    Firaxis is undeniably streamlining aspects of the game and removing no small amount of micromanagement, but from what I've seen I wouldn't call it "dumbing down" the game so much as getting rid of tedium and uninteresting mechanics. Soldiers still die permanently, fog of war and line of sight are hugely important in combat, and you absolutely can lose the game if you screw up too badly.

Does it look awesome?
    I came away from our visit to Firaxis' studio extremely impressed by XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The project is far from done, but I am personally thrilled at the prospect of playing the final game.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    hm, It looks alright. I'm not sure yet. will have to see it in action.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    The only real tedium in the game was inventory management. You could probably improve the game by showing a better tech tree as well, though. Perhaps streamline the budget stuff, although that will go hand in hand with inventory. You only really manage budgets up to a certain point, though. Once you have a certain level of development, manufacturing and sales of confiscated alien contraband are your money earners, rather than the funding nations. I could see some value in shifting that balance around, although none in taking it away altogether.

There's a bunch of stuff it would be good to enhance, though. Interception comes to mind.

• Options
    One thing it was interesting to note was the Globe pictured in Game Informer:

MissionCtrl610.jpg

Egypt, Nigeria and South Africa are all highlighted - indicating that some form of funding nations has probably returned - and they're keeping roughly and very closely to the original.

• Options
    I know i said they'd be making the art more generic to calm someone down, but man, i am actually liking the art style i have seen.

i want, all the concept art.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    hmm, looks like it may be a hex-based grid on the tactical maps rather than square tiles.

the vertical base layout doesn't really make sense for planning for defense, will base invasions happen on multiple floors or something?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    hmm, looks like it may be a hex-based grid on the tactical maps rather than square tiles.

the vertical base layout doesn't really make sense for planning for defense, will base invasions happen on multiple floors or something?

The hex thing means it's based on the Civ V engine. In that game it was good for making the terrain look more natural (not as much of a concern here given the change in scale), but it also made the combat somewhat more tactical. I think it could work well for this type of game.

• Options
    LorctheOrcLorctheOrc Registered User regular
    my hope is that this will be a gme for the ages

my expecttion is that the fps will outsell this by a margin of multiples thanks to ignorant proles

• Options
    it really matters on how it is released. As like a big downloadable title i think it would have stronger legs to stand on then a $60 disc release.

But then looking at the polish even the unfinished game has and what not, i'm thinking it will probably be a full price release.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    we call them "silly geese" here, Lorc. I thought you'd have learned that.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    LorctheOrc wrote: »
    my hope is that this will be a gme for the ages

my expecttion is that the fps will outsell this by a margin of multiples thanks to ignorant proles

I don't think the FPS will sell well at all. From what I've seen of it, it looks very 'generic alien shooter' gameplay wise, just set in the 50's. If you want to make a billion dollars with a shooter these days, it needs to be Call of BattleHalo part 7.

• Options
    It's apparently a first person tactical shooter.

So, it probably won't sell that great. It might, I remember ghost recon doing well.

But from the sounds of it it might be okay. i'll probably pick it up on the cheap.

• Options
    Mmmm, Call of BattleHalo....

• Options
    Bot being necessarily PR guys, this is exciting to hear.

Guy talks about in his first turn losing four guys and the lead dev is laughing "I know, it was so awesome"

I have faith in this project.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    "Yes, you build Success on the bodies of the weak" - Jake Solomon, on X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

This seems to be the xbox geoscape.

worldmapsu.jpg

Melding on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I love the fact that they've linked the two games.

• Options
    yeah, Call of Battle and Battle Halo cross overs are the best.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Funding Council report.

Ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Also, re: the change in art style, look at the date. 2015. About the same timejump from the first Enemy Unknown's release date to when the game took place.

EDIT: ...scan for UFOs? As a button function? Huh.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    MechMantis wrote:
    Funding Council report.

Ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

"Well, you see sirs, the point is... well... it's a funny story. Have you ever seen a Chryssalid? Well... I guess you had to be there. Yessir. We have the letters to the ambassador's family all ready. Yessir. Skiing accident, sirs.

Yes, the slopes are damn dangerous this year, sirs."

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    Wow, that geoscape is really pretty. Those are city lights we can see, right?

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I'm staring to get hyped for this guys. I bought the first one when it was on sale and while I think it's good, a more user friendly version would be an absolute godsend

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I actually just got back in to the original. I'm taking it slow (Veteran difficulty) and am trying to break the cycle of save-scumming I started way back in high school.

It was hard watching Vlad, James, Robert, Yoshi die on mission 1.
    I hated losing Haelga and Victor in mission 2.

But we will persevere. We will win.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I mean, I was on beginner and I was jut getting pumped. I thought that since I've been reading the LP and reading everyone talk about it, I could just pick it up as I went along. Hahaha.

I downloaded the manual and the player guide supplement and while I've read them both cover to cover, I really fell I've only got the most fundamental understanding of how to play the game.

While this is not necessarily a bad thing, sometimes I'd just like some tooltips to pop up when i mouse over buttons and stuff

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    i started playing on actual genius, i think i might go human tech only. this seems like something i might be able to do.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    i started playing on actual genius, i think i might go human tech only. this seems like something i might be able to do.

How much reloading do you do?

Important for running the deadpool.

This discussion has been closed.