Options

Is this what the aliens do for fun? At least they're not playing XCOM: ENEMY UNKNOWN

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    The key to not losing countries is to do the base assault really early

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    Rainfall wrote: »
    If Abductions lowered panic continent-wide the strategic layer would be stupid easy.

It's hellah frustrating but yeah, without it you'd lose the whole terrifying element of the game.

The one thing that really frustrates me is once you've got up a satellite in a country there's no way to plan to reduce panic, you just have to get lucky with missions.

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Of course, once you have a continent covered there's no way for panic to go up there unless you're bad at terror missions or shooting down UFOs.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've gotten abductions in australia even when having complete coverage in Asia

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Abductions don't happen in countries that are covered by Satellites.

I dunno about maybe during the installation period, but otherwise, yeah, once you have the world covered you stop getting them altogether.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    I just want to know how in Beagle's impossible game he hasn't had 9 sectoids patrol into him in one turn like in every other mission of my impossible games.

• Options
    it's crazy how different the alien forces can be in 2 different playthroughs. This time I've barely seen any chrysalids but every motherfucking mission has like four cyberdiscs. Also thin men are in vogue too apparently.

• Options
    Okay they really need to tweak the difficulties.

Classic is too easy and Impossible does that thing where literally 9 sectoids patrol into me after my first turn on the second mission.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    So that Abduction on the Construction Yard I was worried about yesterday actually went pretty well. I took the advice from this thread and went nice and slow, letting the aliens come to me.Things got hairy early on: 3 mutons patrolled into me on Turn 1, waking up a couple of floaters in the process. When I moved a Rookie up to capture one of the mutons, he revealed two more floaters who moved to flank half my squad.

I got out of that situation with just a couple of serious injuries and was able to wrap up the rest of the mission without much trouble. Phew!

I would love it if my Heavies could hit anything with their LMGs. Even adding a scope doesn't seem to help!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    So that Abduction on the Construction Yard I was worried about yesterday actually went pretty well. I took the advice from this thread and went nice and slow, letting the aliens come to me.Things got hairy early on: 3 mutons patrolled into me on Turn 1, waking up a couple of floaters in the process. When I moved a Rookie up to capture one of the mutons, he revealed two more floaters who moved to flank half my squad.

I got out of that situation with just a couple of serious injuries and was able to wrap up the rest of the mission without much trouble. Phew!

I would love it if my Heavies could hit anything with their LMGs. Even adding a scope doesn't seem to help!

Scope + holotargeting helps loads I find.

Before they couldn't hit the side of a barn

• Options
    One of my heavies is a Lieutenant I got from doing an abduction in Mexico. I’ve given him holo-targeting and a SCOPE, and he still has no kills after three missions. He’s certainly got some assists (as the +10 from HT has helped his team), but he can’t seem to put any lead on target himself.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Gotta get dat heavy laser

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Heavy laser is for chumps and/or fools and/or suckers

• Options
    I disagree. Shooting that thing looks good and (when you kill things) feels great.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Finished my classic ironman with the PA names and 0 countries lost

Photo dump:
    My #1 killer
    evigilant.jpg

Surviving vets:
    names.jpg

Memorial:
    mem1.jpg
    mem2.jpg
    mem3.jpg

Pose as a team because shits about to get real
    poseasateam.jpg

Run squid!
    runhairrun.jpg
    aww yiss, look at that green hair!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Beast!, you're one of my rookies

Tell me why I should put you on the field

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    It helps to see your Heavy as a support class that helps other soldiers kill things faster, rather than being the one to kill things. Holo-targeting for bonus aim, rockets for removing cover, that sort of thing.

XStly.jpg
  • Options
    Dubh wrote: »
    Beast!, you're one of my rookies

Tell me why I should put you on the field
    I have a great butt that will add team morale when I am in front of other squad members.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I disagree. Shooting that thing looks good and (when you kill things) feels great.

I did like lasers but on my current run through I fast tracked to Plasma.

I've found it way more effective.

Karl on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Wiet wrote: »
    It helps to see your Heavy as a support class that helps other soldiers kill things faster, rather than being the one to kill things. Holo-targeting for bonus aim, rockets for removing cover, that sort of thing.

Pretty much what I do already

Snipers and Assaulters have always racked up more kills than anyone else

I'll sometimes spec a support for maximum reaction shots, but that's mostly to cover the approach of my assaulters

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My first Heavy must have the midas touch because his aim has almost always been fair and true, he was the first to make colonel by a long margin, and a lot of that was LMG based.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i've taken holo-targeting on exactly one heavy

bullet storm is way too versatile for me to give up

• Options
    my first colonel was a sniper (Sara Lynn) and an assault (Dux)

this was on normal, though

I'm doing classic atm

and I don't know how it's going to go down

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Every time I see @Dubh post I'm expecting it to be about finally putting me in and me dying right away.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    gonna use you tonight

I hope you turn out to be support or assault

those are my two favorite soldier types

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    I've killed seven enemies with a single rocket.

Heavies are worth it.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested to try a mod like this: Instead of aiming at aliens with the LMG (and its upgrades), you get an aiming "plane" at a set distance from the soldier. Basically, you're choosing a direction for him to face and fire. The gun does a set amount of damage, distributed randomly across the cone formed by your shot angle. So if you're aiming at an alien with a solid wall behind him, ALL of that damage is spread between him and the wall, rather than, "Did it miss? OK, roll another time to see if it hits the wall that is literally the only other thing it could have hit."

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    i've taken holo-targeting on exactly one heavy

bullet storm is way too versatile for me to give up

My team is 50% Heavies. 1 Holo-Targeting HEavy and two Bullet Swarm Heavies.

It's fucking magnificent.

You know what's not magnificent? Getting swarmed by three berserkers and four Mutons at once and having both a Colonel Sniper and Colonel Support eat it.

My Ironman Classic game was going so perfectly too. RIP Matthew "Ice" Thomas and Flynn "Elixir" Woods. :(

Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Fuck this game. A sectopod just got 3 reaction shots against my star Assault in one move. After it took a reaction shot against someone else earlier. After I used Disabling shot on it.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Goddamn it @Pipthefair

I don't care if you're the best heavy X-Com has seen, you can't go around blowing up @HellaJeff with your rockets! He was a support, we need those guys!

Poor old @101 copped a critical hit at extreme range and bled out because I haven't unlocked med kits yet

Last mission report:

F6B60AA8B4608265C6332D213D889C6159E67251

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Why do I keep trying impossible?

First mission: ace it.
    Second mission: 6-9 sectoids up my ass at the start of the mission every time.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    Fuck this game. A sectopod just got 3 reaction shots against my star Assault in one move. After it took a reaction shot against someone else earlier. After I used Disabling shot on it.

Now I'm reading that using disabling shot on things that are overwatching gives them unlimited reaction shots? Or something. Jesus, what a bug.

• Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    That's more like it.

This Scotsman is going to kick some ET ass.

• Options
    TaskmanTaskman Registered User regular
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Oh my god why are there so many chrysalids

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

Now I'm reading that using disabling shot on things that are overwatching gives them unlimited reaction shots? Or something. Jesus, what a bug.

hahaha wow

when did that start happening? disabling shot is a godsend against sectopods, now i'm gonna be wary about using it

• Options
    Operation brutal thunder indeed

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Just rocked a mission in which I had been surprised by a couple of cyberdisks and mutons and then everything crashed and I had to restart my computer.

xcom

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Just rocked a mission in which I had been surprised by a couple of cyberdisks and mutons and then everything crashed and I had to restart my computer.

xcom

And people were complaining this wasn't going to be an authentic xcom experience...

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
This discussion has been closed.