As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD

• jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    WadeWilson wrote: »
    I know I killed a random dragon once, I didnt absorb it's soul and it didn't burn up. So I continued hiking to my destination. Then about after 5 minutes, the soul absorbtion triggered. That soul was veeeeerrrry strechy apparently.
    Ha! Yeah, I've had that happen too. I also had one where it didn't burn, so I fast traveled back to a town, and all of the sudden this dragon corpse falls out of the sky and gives me its soul, weird stuff.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I have a rather odd question: I've subscribed to a bunch of mods on Steam Workshop. I've started the game and gotten the "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!" bit. But data files is grayed out and it doesn't appear that the mods are actually installed...

help?

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    I have a rather odd question: I've subscribed to a bunch of mods on Steam Workshop. I've started the game and gotten the "Finished synchronizing subscribed mods!" bit. But data files is grayed out and it doesn't appear that the mods are actually installed...

help?

Try this:

[Launcher]
    bShowAllResolutions=0
    uLastAspectRatio=2
    bEnableFileSelection=1

in your SkyrimPrefs.ini (it should be in MyDocuments/etc/). I think that sometimes helps with the greyed-out Data Files issue.

steam_sig.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Decoy on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Binny wrote: »

All the realms of Tamriel? Awesome. MMO? Not so awesome.

Not so awesome to me, at least. I have a hard time getting excited for an MMO these days. Every single one I've tried has burned me out and made me bored very quickly.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If they avoid all the MMO trappings, it could be cool.

So...if they reinvent the entire genera? K.

It's funny how jaded people have become towards MMOs. Yet they keep being produced, keep being the same, and keep making millions.

• BinnyBinny Whidbey Island, WARegistered User regular
    The Elder Scrolls world is great, so of course I'm excited about the game now. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a Star Wars: TOR.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    So, it's "announced" now, huh?

This shouldn't really come as much of a surprise. It was basically a given that Zenimax Online Studios was working on the ES IP.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    xlarge.jpg

Anyone else seeing a Dragon Centipede going on there?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    xlarge.jpg

One of them is a Lion I think.

Also: If we can steal items from one another this will be awesome.

Caveman Paws on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    The idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO both makes me giddy and fills me with dread

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The head dev is a DAoC vet. And first thing they announce is 3 RVR PVP. in an TES setting.

Call me crazy but people who enjoy TES games... they are not clamoring for realm vs realm PVP.

Regardless... this should get interesting.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just want them to get the setting right... like, I've always wanted to see Black Marsh. But if I get there and Black Marsh is a generic swamp zone it's gonna be a huge letdown.

The fact that they're trying to do all of Tamriel worries me. It takes a full AAA-studio effort to do one zone justice IMO, and they're trying to do... nine is it?

edit: I guess we don't know if they're trying to do all of Tamriel just based on that cover.

Yougottawanna on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I really hope they didn't just want to make an MMO and just chose the Elder Scrolls for brand recognition.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    I really hope they didn't just want to make an MMO and just chose the Elder Scrolls for brand recognition.

I am with you. We are in a MMORPG transitional state. The first wave of WoW-a-likes and slight variations failed over time. The current new generation of MMO's attack the format in new and myriad different ways (see todays newspost/comic). If TES:O is a MMO that doesnt bring new stuff to the table but setting it will be trouble from the start.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Wow, this is..pretty damn huge news, actually.

Definitely looking forward to it.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    Thought- Do you think first person will be the main view?

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Sadly, no. I hope I'm proven wrong.

• jkruse05jkruse05 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    If the game is action based, as it should be, then I don't see why not. If it's another WoW clone, well, count me out. I get the horrible feeling that this will be a major departure from the style of TES games of the past, beyond just the whole MMO thing that is. Anyway, I should be getting the digital issue sometime soon, I'll throw up as many details as I can glean then.

jkruse05 on
    edited May 2012
    I just want them to get the setting right... like, I've always wanted to see Black Marsh. But if I get there and Black Marsh is a generic swamp zone it's gonna be a huge letdown.

The fact that they're trying to do all of Tamriel worries me. It takes a full AAA-studio effort to do one zone justice IMO, and they're trying to do... nine is it?

edit: I guess we don't know if they're trying to do all of Tamriel just based on that cover.

They are working on it for at least 5 years (AFAIK, though I never spent much time researching so might be earlier.)

George Ziets worked on it during a year on the narrative but apparently at least that has significantly changed:
    I bet you're still under NDA so you can't talk about the original storyline for TES Online. Am I right?

Yes, sadly that's true. Also, I don't know the details of their new narrative - just what was in the press release re: Molag Bal. He did not have a role in the story I worked on, and the other points they mentioned were new to me, so I assume that it's been significantly changed.

C2B on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Really, it's 5 years in the making already? Strange that we've only heard about the game now. Or were there some leaks / rumors at some point? I didn't really follow the whole TES franchise that closely between Oblivion and Skyrim.

It also means, however, that a beta test might not be too far off.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised about the MMO announcement. The charm of these games has always been their solitude, at least for me. I always figured Bethesda was pretty focused on that. Maybe that's just my naivety about the industry.

Well good for them. I certainly don't begrudge their attempt to enter the market. But I'm pretty much out of the MMO market now, so most likely I'll be watching this one from the sidelines.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited May 2012
    Maz- wrote: »
    Really, it's 5 years in the making already? Strange that we've only heard about the game now. Or were there some leaks / rumors at some point? I didn't really follow the whole TES franchise that closely between Oblivion and Skyrim.

We know that Zenimax Online Studios is working on an game for a long, long time (since it was founded). It was never much of a stretch that it's a ES game.

C2B on
  • OtakingOtaking Registered User regular
    Not so awesome to me, at least. I have a hard time getting excited for an MMO these days. Every single one I've tried has burned me out and made me bored very quickly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I hope this is FPS though. FPS will help to maintain their high immersion level...immersion helps to counter the usual mmo bullcrap.

If this is just some random MMO with Elder Scrolls IP in third person it's going to fail hard...genre is WAY too saturated after GW2 and who needs another fantasy one with three kinds of ugly elves and two kinds of ugly furries this time.

I could get into some pew pew with a custom built hero, an ally or two, and some smaller focused PVP in some godforsaken dungeon crawl of Tamriel though, or co-op dragon battles.

Everything else MMO is so 'balanced boring arena with capture the flag' or 'zerg and lag inducing open field or keep siege'...some corridors and traps and fast action FPS fantasy PVP or really immersive co-op would be fun. Why does everything multiplayer have to be massively now?

Something like you're just walking around gathering mats with your bro or something and the dragon lands on the roof, of the village but it actually is killing people hard and actually takes you both to down it. Running up and down flights of stairs to get to the tower roof to shoot at it and this kind of thing. Scary little dark dungeons or towns for zombies to flood after you.

You'd think they'd keep the scale small with their level of FPS graphics but no here is 3way RVR announced already....I have a bad feeling about this.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    I'd prefer more news on Dawnguard. I suppose it's a different development team, so there's that, but the MMO craze on top of the console port craze isn't my favorite thing. Too early to tell anything about the actual game, of course.

• MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I've never been able to keep track of when anything happens in relation to anything else in TES. A quick look at the UESP timeline seems to place the MMO at some point in the middle of the second era, so a few hundred years before Tiber Septim. Apparently Orsinium gets dissolved in 2E 432, so sort of curious as to whether they're going to go before that or after it or right on it.

Not curious enough to make me want to play an MMO, though.
    Maz- wrote: »

Bethesda trademarked TES Online a long time ago. It's been obvious that it was coming for years, even aside from the fact that it just makes too much logical sense to make an Elder Scrolls MMO.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Sounds interesting, but too much of the draw about these games for me is exploring the world by myself

and the limitations MMO graphics have won't make that quite as fun as it is in the single player games

Renegade Wolf on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    xlarge.jpg

Looks like a crazy eagle-lion-dragon triple Ourboros.

• Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    xlarge.jpg

Looks like a crazy eagle-lion-dragon triple Ourboros.

That is exactly what it is. Very interesting.

I'm cautiously optimistic about TES Online. I've never played an MMO before, but this one may turn out to be the first. We'll have to wait and see.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Sounds interesting, but too much of the draw about these games for me is exploring the world by myself

and the limitations MMO graphics have won't make that quite as fun as it is in the single player games

I dunno, I usually find MMOs to be great for exploration. And I think they can make it work, graphically.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    The idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO both makes me giddy and fills me with dread

Yeah, I'm apprehensively excited.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I really hope this new MMO bends the game play around the established lore instead of the other way around.

(Random adventuring groups ALWAYS tear themselves apart in this universe after they win! The Chosen One can be anything and singularity himself into godhood with his abilities/ knowledge!)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I guess not then. :(

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Oh hay look its Elder Scrolls Online Scans

imgur.com/a/fO9Ty#5

3 Factions with 3 races each.

"genre standards with classes, experience points, and progression"
    "we had to make the playable area smaller to fit the requirements of the PVP system"
    Yeah...

Couscous on
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    "...has to be comfortable to people coming from a typical MMO that has the same control mechanisms..."

"... cleaves to genre standards of classes, experience points, and progression..."

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything out of this. A typical MMO setup is not going to cut it with the Elder Scrolls.

Oh God, can you even imagine the balancing arguments?

That article makes it sound like the worst case scenario already: A WoW clone wearing Elder Scrolls skin.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    My big problem with an MMO is they are deisgned to never really end. I'd want this game to have a proper endgame in place, rather than keep stringing me along, hoping I'll keep paying up.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • MoistMoist Registered User regular
    One of the big draws of Elder scrolls games for me has always been the freeform leveling (even if in some games it was extremely confusing) and the non linear structure.

That's just not possible in a typical cut and paste MMO like this appears to be. There's no way you will be able to re-imagine your character part way through your playthrough and take up archery because you think your spending too much time in dungeons.

I guess what I wan't to say is; Tamriel should be a sandbox, not a themepark.

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I only skimmed the scans, but at any point do they describe something other than the name that's Elder Scrolls-y about this game? I realize TES doesn't have the most distinctive art style, but those screens don't even look recognizable as... anything. Just generic MMO.

Do they say whether it's first-person?

The little bit about werewolves and vampires being "impossible to balance without breaking lore, which Zenimax is unwilling to do" makes Zenimax sound like a bunch of dummies

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    "...has to be comfortable to people coming from a typical MMO that has the same control mechanisms..."

"... cleaves to genre standards of classes, experience points, and progression..."

Yeah, I'm not expecting anything out of this. A typical MMO setup is not going to cut it with the Elder Scrolls.

Oh God, can you even imagine the balancing arguments?

That article makes it sound like the worst case scenario already: A WoW clone wearing Elder Scrolls skin.
    But our WoW-esque game is different than all those other WoW-esque games! It's gonna go alright this time! Nobody's gonna get run out of business at all! You'll see!

Dead in the water.

• SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    Wow, I have no interest at all with MMOs, and this just reinforced my suspicions. Looks like a DAoC clone, with an 'Set in Tamriel!" tagline.

It's pretty much stripped everything out that makes it an Elder Scrolls game.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.