As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] PLEASE POST IN NEW THREAD

1929394959698»

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Okay, after a re-download, the game was able to boot up as normal, which is a relief in itself.

With mods still unchecked, I decided to install Dashui's custom ENB first. After following the proper instructions, the game CTD again.

So turns out ENB was the culprit. Specifically, it was the included d3d9.dll file.

Removing that file opens the game like normal, but naturally the ENB won't work. I believe I had this issue in the past, but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

If Dashui or someone else could re-enlighten me, that'd be great.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Okay, after a re-download, the game was able to boot up as normal, which is a relief in itself.

With mods still unchecked, I decided to install Dashui's custom ENB first. After following the proper instructions, the game CTD again.

So turns out ENB was the culprit. Specifically, it was the included d3d9.dll file.

Removing that file opens the game like normal, but naturally the ENB won't work. I believe I had this issue in the past, but I can't remember what I did to fix it.

@Dashui

Just to make sure he notices this.

Have you tried downloading the current version of ENB from the author's site and seeing if the same thing happens? I'm running it with Dashui's config and haven't had any problems, except when using the 1.6 beta, and that was in-game menu stuff, nothing so servere as CTD on launch.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Latest patch broke my killmove mod, booooo.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Gaslight wrote: »

@Dashui

Have you tried downloading the current version of ENB from the author's site and seeing if the same thing happens? I'm running it with Dashui's config and haven't had any problems, except when using the 1.6 beta, and that was in-game menu stuff, nothing so servere as CTD on launch.

Didn't work either, but after some extended Googling I was able to figure out the cause: D3DOverrider.

Turning that off had the ENB load fine. Now it's just a matter of deciding whether this ENB is the one for me, or if there are any better and/or less taxing ones.

Also, would adding the official HD Texture DLC to these ENB mods cause a noticeable difference?

• Options

@Dashui

Didn't work either, but after some extended Googling I was able to figure out the cause: D3DOverrider.

Turning that off had the ENB load fine. Now it's just a matter of deciding whether this ENB is the one for me, or if there are any better and/or less taxing ones.

Also, would adding the official HD Texture DLC to these ENB mods cause a noticeable difference?

There is pretty much no reason not to use the official HD pack unless your system can't handle it or there's some third-party texture pack you think is better.

• Options
    Well, now I'm trying to check off which mods work/don't work together, but it's a real lengthy process. BOSS doesn't detect any errors beyond the unverified plugins, so I have no idea how to properly sort everything.

Is there another program I could try to help auto-sort things?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    1.6 broke ENB series support?

Odd, that doesn't seem to be the case with mine. But it's rather subtle overall (kind of makes me wonder why I have it.)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    1.6 broke ENB series support?

Odd, that doesn't seem to be the case with mind. But it's rather subtle overall (kind of makes me wonder why I have it.)

Well, I thought it was 1.6 that was causing the problem, but now it's happening again in 1.5 too.
    ?.jpg

I get this strobing on like half the menus now. :( At best it's a flicker like an old TV set. At least it's only in the menus and not during live gameplay.

If your ENB is so subtle you don't know why you have it, I would suggest getting a better one. Dashui's config has completely transformed the look of my game. I can't imagine playing without it or something comparable now. All of the other recent Skyrim shots on my Steam profile are taken with it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well, I like it nonetheless (I'm using Skyrim Enhanced Shaders Fix).

I figured out a long time ago, I don't want my game to play like it was shot through the cameras in LOTR. Which a fine looking films, but not what I want in a game. That being said, I'm going to try SuperB. I was originally use a very dramatic effect, which looked great in the dark--and then awful in the dark.

It sounds like you have a video driver glitch or dll issue.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, now I'm trying to check off which mods work/don't work together, but it's a real lengthy process. BOSS doesn't detect any errors beyond the unverified plugins, so I have no idea how to properly sort everything.
    That's mods for you!

BOSS sorts everything except the unrecognized mods, so those are the only ones you need to sort yourself. There's two things to do with mod order, for the most part. First, check the descriptions and readmes for the unrecognized ones. Generally, if there's some kind of compatability issue that you need to know about, mod authors are good about giving that information to you. Second, load order only matters when two mods try to change the same piece of data. If you have a mod that changes the texture of a single armor set and nothing else, and you have no other mods that touch that armor set's texture, it doesn't matter where it goes. If you have two mods that touch the same pieces of data, then whichever one you want to take priority should be lower, so that it loads later. Compatibility patches for mods work like this. Load mod one, then mod two, then compatibility patch, so that the compatibility patch takes priority over both. General rule is that overhauls and bug fix collections (anything large and sweeping, basically) go highest in your load order, so that they load first. Mods that make more specific changes go lower on the list.
    No.

• Options
    Monger wrote: »
    That's mods for you!

BOSS sorts everything except the unrecognized mods, so those are the only ones you need to sort yourself. There's two things to do with mod order, for the most part. First, check the descriptions and readmes for the unrecognized ones. Generally, if there's some kind of compatability issue that you need to know about, mod authors are good about giving that information to you. Second, load order only matters when two mods try to change the same piece of data. If you have a mod that changes the texture of a single armor set and nothing else, and you have no other mods that touch that armor set's texture, it doesn't matter where it goes. If you have two mods that touch the same pieces of data, then whichever one you want to take priority should be lower, so that it loads later. Compatibility patches for mods work like this. Load mod one, then mod two, then compatibility patch, so that the compatibility patch takes priority over both. General rule is that overhauls and bug fix collections (anything large and sweeping, basically) go highest in your load order, so that they load first. Mods that make more specific changes go lower on the list.
    No.

Thanks for this. I have a better understanding on how to prioritize mods now.

I guess I'll check the unverified plugins first, read about any notes and such from the publishers, then try to move them around manually.

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Right, I've been trying to get Skyrim Enhanced Shaders to work, but I must be missing something. I believe I've done all the steps.

I picked the Pure ENB Full SSAO version, copied all the files into the Skyrim folder and merged the Data folders. I edited SkyrimPrefs. ini and set bFloatPointRenderTarget=1. I run the injector, start the game, and it looks exactly like before. There is no difference.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. Does anyone have any ideas? Assume I'm an idiot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ok so bros

i did the whole skyrim thing some time ago

never finished it because of mechanics issues

so if i wished to play skyrim again with revamped melee and spell combat + different levelling up mechanics... is that a possible thing? is there a high quality overhaul mod that turns everything radical and sparkly?

also graphics wise i now have an nvidia 680, so what kind of mods could i download to stretch the capabilities of that?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    Get duel, Midas magic, and the hq pack

2k textures maybe, also definitely enhanced water textures by optic

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    spell combat

also graphics wise i now have an nvidia 680, so what kind of mods could i download to stretch the capabilities of that?

For spells, can highly recommend Apocalypse Spell Package. Huge variety of new spells, with widely different effects. Very cleverly done and versatile. Lotsa fun.

And Imaginator is great for getting Skyrim to look fantastic, even for those without the machines to use ENBs and whatnot. Well worth a look and playing around with.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    Looks like the beta invites started going out last night. Maybe they'll continue on into today, but it appears like my old ass-account from the TES forums received no love - I was hoping that having a registration date of 2001 might give me a leg up, but noooooo.

[SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    which of the enb type injector mods are worth a look

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    If your ENB is so subtle you don't know why you have it, I would suggest getting a better one. Dashui's config has completely transformed the look of my game. I can't imagine playing without it or something comparable now. All of the other recent Skyrim shots on my Steam profile are taken with it.

Thanks. :D

I actually spend more time playing with other ENB mods than I do making progress with the game, because I really want to find something better. But all the other ENB mods I've played with are either extremely washed out or have color and lighting imbalances or other issues at various in-game hours. I don't know why people keep voting for them. I guess they really like their screen looking like it's been covered in milk.

Moody's ENB was a candidate to replace my ENB config for awhile, but his dawns and dusk are incredibly red. His latest version only seems to have made it worse. His days are fantastic, though. Fimbulvinter is another one I liked. It adds a more colder look to Skyrim. He has a new version out that I'm going to have to test and take comparison screenshots for. HD6's Cinematic Lighting ENB was the most balanced one I found, with a nice visual pop to the world, but it did have an intensive sun. I essentially tweaked the sun/sky values to be less bright while still maintaining what the author accomplished.

And I should probably make the new thread soon, huh?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    im going to try rcrn first because i like shadows and shit dawgs wish me luck

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a video driver glitch or dll issue.

Meh. Drivers are latest, it only happens in Skyrim, only using ENB, and only in some menu screens.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    deowolf wrote: »
    Looks like the beta invites started going out last night. Maybe they'll continue on into today, but it appears like my old ass-account from the TES forums received no love - I was hoping that having a registration date of 2001 might give me a leg up, but noooooo.

Any PAers get into the beta? I gotsta know what Dawnguard is like!

ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2012
    edit: oh hey old thread.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.