As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some surreal mind screwing film/novels/anime ect.

EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So guys, I'm in the mood for some mindfuckery that will, well, fuck with my mind for a few days. Here's some examples that I've watched/read/played that I feel is what I want more of:

Serial Experiments Lain
Killer7
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Gravity's Rainbow
Eraserhead

I was a bit apprehensive of including the last two, since Gravity's Rainbow was a bit hard to read through in more ways than one, and Eraserhead had the side-effect of not only fucking with my mind, but also fucking with my bowel control. Still, the list should give you the idea. Can anybody recommend me some good stuff?

EVOL on

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I really liked Mulholland Drive, which is another David Lynch flick.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    LachrymiteLachrymite Registered User regular
    Primer is a very low budget but amazing film that is the best time travel story I've ever watched. It gets very, very confusing to follow, and it's really tough to truly understand what's going on without a few viewings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Go read The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I really liked Mulholland Drive, which is another David Lynch flick.

This. Or maybe even Lost Highway (another by Lynch).

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Memento will throw you for a loop.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    H.

P.

Lovecraft.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Or, you know, just trying to understand the plot of any Final Fantasy game from VII onwards.

• Options
    Officer 1BDIOfficer 1BDI Registered User regular
    Ghost Trick has a ridiculous amount of twists embedded into it. It's a simple enough puzzle game, but the ending was a series of "WTF?!" revelations (at least for me).

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica? idk

lol Inception

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Jacob's Ladder and Angelheart are two of my favorites in that genre.

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    Perfect Blue. Described as "If Hitchcock teamed up with Disney for a film." Same guy that did Millennium Actress and Tokyo Godfathers, also great movies.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    David Lynch's work is really hard to top in the field, but for the strangest things you'll ever see? Go look up the films of Jodorowsky.
    Start with Santa Sangre - it's much easier to get into than, say, El Topo

Xagarath on
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Being John Malkovich

Also +1 to Memento

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2012
    Paranoia Agent, it quickly became a favorite anime of mine.
    The Akira movie.
    Into the Mouth of Madness, the best Lovecraftian movie that isn't technically a Lovecraftian movie.
    Jacob's Ladder.
    The Colour Out of Space by H. P. Lovecraft
    The Haunter in the Dark, H. P. Lovecraft
    Basically a lot of H. P. Lovecraft short stories, though I suppose it veers off into straight cosmic horror instead of surrealism.

I highly recomment Paranoia Agent though.
    paranoiagent2.jpg

Man, Satoshi Kon was taken away from all of us way too fucking soon. :(

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    waking life isn't bad.

Erik
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh wow I've seen so many of the movies and anime listed here. Love craft is always a good choice. In the mouth of madness and Jacobs Ladder also good choices, and so is Black Swan which hasn't been mentioned.

However for fucked up surreal movies I would go with Suicide Club, but be aware this movie is pretty twisted.

zepherin on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    I would also suggest reading A Scanner Darkly.

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    Demerdar wrote:

I'd switch that with VALIS if we're going for all-out crazy, but you really can't go wrong with any PKD novel

• Options
    LandwehrLandwehr Registered User regular
    I suggest Videodrome. It is a very creepy and intelligent surreal science fiction directed by David Cronenberg.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    House of Leaves is a pretty surreal novel about a house that's bigger on the inside. It's incredibly polarizing though, just as a warning.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    ZegunaZeguna Registered User regular
    Mindgame
    Akira
    Perfect Blue
    Paprika

• Options
    GR_Zombie wrote:
    House of Leaves is a pretty surreal novel about a house that's bigger on the inside. It's incredibly polarizing though, just as a warning.
    after reading about that, I am intrigued. I may have to give it a whirl on my next plane ride.

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    I watched the Japanese anime series Code Geass ( Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, or Giasu: Hangyaku no Rurūshu ), it is a quite bloody and crazy. Avoid the edited version, it consists of a total of 23+24 episodes.

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    CherryCherry Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    "All You Zombies" by Robert A. Heinlein. It's considered a Sci Fi novella. Also about time travel. If you haven't read it do so. Some weird stuff.

http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/wp-content/uploads/Robert-A.-Heinlein-All-You-Zombies.pdf

Cherry on
  • Options
    DrAlleconDrAllecon Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Excellent choices already listed. I'll just toss my 2 cents in for "Brazil" if you haven't seen it yet. Maybe "John Dies at the End" for a book that hasn't been listed yet.

DrAllecon on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    DrAllecon wrote:
    Excellent choices already listed. I'll just toss my 2 cents in for "Brazil" if you haven't seen it yet. Maybe "John Dies at the End" for a book that hasn't been listed yet.
    Brazil qualifies as a surreal mind screwing movie, but I didn't like it at all. Of course then again, I might not have liked it because it was a bit too bizarre.

Naked Lunch (film). I think it's even more unusual, and surreal.

zepherin on
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    They've been mentioned before, but I'll give another vote to Perfect Blue/Paprika.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'll throw House of Leaves in there because it does fuck with your head a little...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KleinKlein Registered User regular
    A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick.

Great movie, great book, worth looking into.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2012
    Mind Game is a completely surreal and ridiculous anime, and The Tatami Galaxy from what i've seen has some interesting parts. The animatrix is also pretty fun, if you've never seen it.

Mind Game, though. You get crazy as shit animation, like this
    (totally NSFW and might give you a seizure)
    Im more of an animation consumer than a mindfuck seeker, so these might be slightly off the mood as they are less kill-y bloody scary and more "what the fuck am I even seeing right now" but I thought i'd throw them out there.

Iruka on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Tetsuo the Iron Man
    The Fantastic Planet

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Pretty much anything by Hunter S. Thompson. Gonzo journalism is pretty awesome in general for things that really make you ponder.

The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved by Hunter S. Thompson

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Demerdar wrote:

I'd switch that with VALIS if we're going for all-out crazy, but you really can't go wrong with any PKD novel

I love PKD, but found VALIS hard to get into. For first timers I think Flow My Tears the Policeman Said and A Scanner Darkly are great starting points.

for some other weird stuff, Maybe check out Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs. Fair warning, it is disturbing and fucked up but... it is also surreal, bizarre and darkly entertaining.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The Cube
    Four Rooms
    After.Life
    Live Freaky! Die Freaky!

• Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    Oh, also the Czech puppet version of Alice in Wonderland, directed by Svankmejer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd03-wm6DDM

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Seconds, the Frankenheimer movie

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    milathmilath Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Paranoia Agent, it quickly became a favorite anime of mine.
    The Akira movie.
    Into the Mouth of Madness, the best Lovecraftian movie that isn't technically a Lovecraftian movie.
    Jacob's Ladder.
    The Colour Out of Space by H. P. Lovecraft
    The Haunter in the Dark, H. P. Lovecraft
    Basically a lot of H. P. Lovecraft short stories, though I suppose it veers off into straight cosmic horror instead of surrealism.

I highly recomment Paranoia Agent though.

Man, Satoshi Kon was taken away from all of us way too fucking soon. :(

I'll second Paranoia Agent. It's one of the few anime I can watch multiple times and enjoy.

As for others...

I won't call this a 'good' movie by any stretch, but From Beyond is an 80s horror flick, based on a Lovecraft short story. It's not particularly scary, but it's definitely odd.

Also, Soderbergh's Schizopolis.
    Declarative sentence of generic praise. Nose army. Beef diaper? (<--- actual quotes from the movie. Yeah... it's... it's very weird.)

Not sure if either of those fall into the correct category, but most of the good ones that I know of have already been mentioned.

Edit: OH.. thought of another good one. Triangle. Excellent mind-bending.

milath on
    steam_sig.png
    "No.. I was wrong. This must be what going mad feels like."

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Thanks, guys. Lots and lotsa good looking stuff here. I'm seriously terrified of watching some of the stuff you guys recommended, but I'll be sure to watch them all. I guess I should have said that I'm a really huge wuss lol. Keep the recommendations rolling in, please.