As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    There really aren't any hard and fast rules. Basically I have everyone hauling everything unless they are pros at a specific job. Once I have a manager and can set rules for workshops I'll usually either assign a specific dwarf and turn off everything but that work for him, or if I have several good dwarves for the job I'll turn up the limit from dabbling to novice or whatever to make sure I don't have any losers monopolizing its use.

By the time you've got around 100 dwarves (I set my max to 120), I find it's good to have:

3 brewers, one full time and two with hauling jobs on to share custody of a second brewery
    2 full time miners (the same ones I start with), occasionally a third
    1 full time craftsdwarf making crafts or bone bolts
    1 full time mason making doors and coffers and such
    1 full time carpenter/woodcutter, the one I start with, alternating between jobs as needed
    1 full time metalsmith and a couple furnace operators once I've got some ore
    2 full time doctors
    2 full time farmers

That's really about it, as far as turning off everything but one or two jobs. I don't need a full time leatherworker or gem cutter or clothier or cheese maker, usually. A lot of dwarves will temporarily give up hauling jobs and dedicate themselves to a needed task automatically, like soapmaking. There are sometimes a lot of idlers, especially the doctors, but you don't need to be fully employed at all times.

Oh and by the end I usually have a ton of engravers smoothing everything just to give them something to do, and eventually one of them will get in a mood and become legendary, at which point I can make them custom burrows around the fort for them and engrave masterpieces all over. Also the same people are masons for above-ground mass constructions.

I also try to have a mason and woodcrafting workshop with limits on skill so I can pick out a "dabbling" dwarf and make some beds and coffers for the masses. I don't want any legendary crap in the peasants rooms!!

EDIT: But then again, if you want to have 'fun', you can put your nobles into hovels and your peasants into palaces and watch the nobles tantrum. :rotate:

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    For the last few hours I've been putting together an expeditionary force to the depths of the Caverns below my fort. The Caverns fuck with my overall Fortress supersymmetry and because they're largely unexplored and I've got no clue what's down there, I've decided I can't be arsed with making any elaborate planning or designations. I've located a shaft and channeled out the top, and now I've got a vessel hanging over it containing the best and brightest minds the Fortress can muster. Sadly, these brave Dwarves may never return to the security of the Fortress, but there are myths of untold riches in the depths below so surely they could have no complaints abandoning their humble abode for an under-kingdom of treasure!

Zephiran on
    Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I also try to have a mason and woodcrafting workshop with limits on skill so I can pick out a "dabbling" dwarf and make some beds and coffers for the masses. I don't want any legendary crap in the peasants rooms!!

EDIT: But then again, if you want to have 'fun', you can put your nobles into hovels and your peasants into palaces and watch the nobles tantrum. :rotate:

I try to give masterpiece beds and such to the masses, they admire them and have happy thoughts about it. I don't think nobles care if others have better beds than them, they only care about the overall room quality I believe. I could give them crap beds, crap armor stands, etc. but if the room is huge and smoothed and engraved they'll be fine.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited January 2012

I try to give masterpiece beds and such to the masses, they admire them and have happy thoughts about it. I don't think nobles care if others have better beds than them, they only care about the overall room quality I believe. I could give them crap beds, crap armor stands, etc. but if the room is huge and smoothed and engraved they'll be fine.

Yeah, I'd reckon the easiest way to do it is just put whatever quality beds wherever, but designating huge areas as Dormitories for the dregs and then putting all of your effort towards providing the needy Nobledwarves with their smoothed and engraved stone rooms and a pretty statue or two in them. The masses might not be so happy about having to sleep in what is basically a slave pen, but I think it should normally balance out pretty nicely if you put some effort towards placing down a good communal dining room with lots of pretty bling.

Zephiran on

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I'm still hoping he adds a specify material option for crafting. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, once you get a manager and can designate work orders you could have the option to designate '10 stone beds - obsidian' or whatever.

Cause it's a pain in da butt forbidding giant lists of stone.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Rami wrote:
    I'm still hoping he adds a specify material option for crafting. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, once you get a manager and can designate work orders you could have the option to designate '10 stone beds - obsidian' or whatever.

I just make a custom stockpile with that one material right next to the workshop and don't order the stuff until people have moved a bunch of it there.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Rami wrote:

I just make a custom stockpile with that one material right next to the workshop and don't order the stuff until people have moved a bunch of it there.

I tend to dump all crafting stone in a pile by the workshops, then forbid everything and only enable what I want used. I guess it isn't so bad but it would be an easy improvment I would think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    I'd like the option to designate some zones as "Quarries", inside which all of the stone is preferred over other kinds of stone. Stockpiling stone can easily turn into a massive hauling spree that bogs down every other job in the fortress, so just being able to select a simple area and basically telling your Dwarves to "Get stone from here, disregard that rock next to the Forgotten Beasts in the Caverns" seems a lot more laid back and sensible to me.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    but its always more fun for the dwarves to get the stone next to the undulating forgotten beast

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Learning DF and I've already hit a hitch and I'm only 20 min into the damn tutorial.

Trying to designate what crops to grow - the tutorial I'm following says to use alt-arrow keys to move down the list of seeds to plant, yet nothing is moving the selection. What the F am I doing wrong? (besides trying to learn this game)

Edit- *sigh* so I watched a few more tutorials and figured it wasn't the damn arrow keys, but the + - buttons on the numpad...PLUMP HELMETS HERE WE COME BABY

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    That doesn't sound right. It should be +- on the keypad.

• Options
    Sentient6Sentient6 Mad Grad Student Registered User regular
    I tried to get a friend into this today. He looked at the tutorials I save him and immediately gave up.

In other news, I just figured out that the stones tab of fortress overview tells you what can be made out various stones. This has saved me much time searching the wiki.

Also thanks for the labor preference tips guys. I've found I need some more woodcutting going on to keep an influx of charcoal and beds up. I have yet to find any lignite or coal.

• Options
    I hate to muddy this forum with questions, but now the bedroom designation doesn't want to work. Instruction I recieved states alt+ down arrow expands bedroom designation selection, but of course it doesn't work.

I promise this will be the last one from me. Just trying to figure out why I've got 6 dwarves sitting around doing jack shit, while there is much to be done. Onely thing I haven't done according to a starter tutorial is make a bedroom.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    It's + again.

You appear to be using a crappy tutorial? Nothing in the game uses ctrl or alt to my knowledge. Lots of stuff uses + - / * though. / and * typically act like page up and page down.

As for people standing around doing nothing...you need to have designated an area to dig out that they can reach, in other words it must be connected to the surface in some way.

You need workshops, and then you press q and move to the workshop to pick stuff that you want to happen at the workshop like making doors or tables, which get done once you've mined stone for the raw materials.

That's most of what you'll be doing in the opening minutes of the game.

Also:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:
    I hate to muddy this forum with questions

Don't worry about it, we can probably help you way better than a tutorial that appears to be wrong. If we are not asleep like I will be soon.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    From what I remember, selecting [d]esignate on the bed and then just changing the area with + and - is how it works. The same buttons you scroll through menus with.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Rami wrote:
    From what I remember, selecting [d]esignate on the bed and then just changing the area with + and - is how it works. The same buttons you scroll through menus with.

No, after the bed is built it's q and then move to it and push the appropriate button to "make bedroom," I think it's r, and then you can size it.

Designate is actually pretty rarely used outside of digging.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Oh yeah that's it. I really want to start playing again but I'm trying to get my backlog of unplayed games done.

sig.gif
  • Options
    It's + again.

You appear to be using a crappy tutorial?

Also:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

Don't worry about it, we can probably help you way better than a tutorial that appears to be wrong. If we are not asleep like I will be soon.

I think I really am - it's a youtube one, lots of hits but I'm losing faith fast.

I really do appreciate the help, I want to get into this game. I've barely scratched the surface and I'm hungry for more.

Thanks again, I'll try this out.

• Options
    Knight Of AwesomeKnight Of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sorry about the long dialog list, just figured it was rather funny.
    bOx6s.jpg
    And checking inventory confirms that the troll stole Medtob Gandakost pants.

Knight Of Awesome on
    lastfm_red_small.gif 4jGb8.jpg
  • Options
    I love these moments in DF. 8->

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Lt. Fragg wrote:
    It's + again.

Also:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

I think I really am - it's a youtube one, lots of hits but I'm losing faith fast.

I really do appreciate the help, I want to get into this game. I've barely scratched the surface and I'm hungry for more.

This tutorial is probably using some sort of laptop keybinding set. I think people tend to rebind alt-up and alt-down for things that normally use keypad + and - if their laptops have no keyboard. So substituting +/- for alt-up/alt-down should work for most of the stuff. Most likely the person forgot that they had changed their keybindings or forgot to mention it. At least that's my guess.

• Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Sentient6 wrote:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:
    It's + again.

Also:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

This tutorial is probably using some sort of laptop keybinding set. I think people tend to rebind alt-up and alt-down for things that normally use keypad + and - if their laptops have no keyboard. So substituting +/- for alt-up/alt-down should work for most of the stuff. Most likely the person forgot that they had changed their keybindings or forgot to mention it. At least that's my guess.

It sounds more like a tutorial for 28d, those used to be the keybindings for most menus until 2010 hit, I had the same issues when I first switched because I had a laptop without a numpad and I couldn't change menu options without using my function key.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    FiskavFiskav Registered User regular
    edited December 2015

Fiskav on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiskav wrote:
    Myiagros wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:
    It's + again.

Also:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

It sounds more like a tutorial for 28d, those used to be the keybindings for most menus until 2010 hit, I had the same issues when I first switched because I had a laptop without a numpad and I couldn't change menu options without using my function key.

I still haven't changed my key bindings for my laptop.

I play on a laptop but I actually use an external numberpad.

My fortress just got obliterated by an ambush (because I'm a noob) and I'm starting a new one now. Does anybody have a set of parameters for world gen that they really like?

• Options
    Sentient6 wrote:
    Fiskav wrote:
    Myiagros wrote:
    Sentient6 wrote:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:
    It's + again.

Also:
    Lt. Fragg wrote:

I still haven't changed my key bindings for my laptop.

I play on a laptop but I actually use an external numberpad.

My fortress just got obliterated by an ambush (because I'm a noob) and I'm starting a new one now. Does anybody have a set of parameters for world gen that they really like?

I will usually go into world gen parameters and turn down mineral scarcity to 1000-1500, makes it easier to get metals, then for caverns i do:
    cavern openess min: 100
    cavern openess max: 100
    cavern tunnel? min: 0
    cavern tunnel max: 0

I know its not called that but whatever it is for passageways, this gives you large caverns that you can easily expand into and seem less random

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DF Version 0.34.01 has been released.
    (Toady One) Here's the release we've been working on for nearly eleven months. I've tried to collect the major changes below, but it won't be a complete list. I hope you enjoy the game!

New stuff

cities in adventure mode that have various buildings, dungeons, items, livestock, etc.
    protect your community from secret vampire dwarves or hunt them as an adventurer
    defend your fort during the full moon or risk a werewolf infestion -- hunt/be hunted as an adventurer
    face armies of the dead in dwarf mode or visit their necromancers' towers and learn their secrets as an adventurer
    evil regions where the dead and pieces of the dead can come alive, with evil mists and rain
    tombs built in world gen which can be visited in adv mode, either beneath towns or out in the wilds -- beware the dead!
    revamped justice/witness/death notification system in dwarf mode
    immigrants to your fortress will now be historical figures whenever possible, which means more family relationships and history for each one
    dropped items/bodies tracked between plays in the wilderness anywhere in the world
    more battlefield information tracked/war dead raisable in world gen
    all sponsorship animals and their giant/man versions are in the game now
    various new abilities for creatures (see file_changes.txt for list and syntax)
    adventurers can use creature abilities/learned powers and they can be tested from the arena
    new site travel map to make navigating towns easier
    reading/swimming/observer (for traps) relevant in adv mode now
    established historical figures can lead bandits
    rivers block movement in adv mode travel
    eating/drinking required in adv mode
    ingested syndromes are now possible
    ability to make campfire (from 'g') and warm items at campfire/fire/magma (from 'I') in adv mode
    traps work in adv mode, once spotted they can be ignored
    gems now have different cuts
    necromancers can write books about various topics (all books are in their towers as it stands)
    moon phase indicator in fort
    alphanumeric world gen seeds and some more world gen params (see file_changes.txt)
    the legends xml has a lot of new info for historical figures

Major bug fixes

buffer overload from aborted world gen fixed
    fixed cave-in-on-embark issue with hidden underground structure, and a few others

Other bug fixes/tweaks

designations over z levels all at once now possible
    unit screen divided into four sections
    rivers/pools have ramps now
    able to trade portions of stacks in both modes
    messed with adv mode currency trading and made items teleport to you
    tweaked how fire damage works
    made vision work through floor grates and bars properly
    fixed some road/bridge problems
    crystal glass items possible again
    tweaked adventure mode swimming and alt-movement readout (use alt-movement to get into a river you want to cross)
    skeletons/zombies replaced by animation effect
    demons masquerading as gods will try a little harder
    restricted mandates so they'll be more reasonable
    stopped blank map from being exported when you back out of detailed map export

My favorite bizarre addition : "ingested syndromes are now possible".

Drake Chambers on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    It's like Toady gave us all our own little Valentines day surprise.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options

what is this I don't even...

• Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    I embarked on an evil mountain, a bad idea in hindsight because half the time its raining sinister goo that causes blisters on all my dwarvs and blindness. I'm pre-emptively constructing a large tomb network and I've already received a few migrants. I'm working furiously on setting up a large industry so I can start importing steel for my army.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular

what is this I don't even...

What's confusing? This is a fix to the issue where demons masquerading as gods were lackadaisical about it. That always drove me nuts.

• Options
    god i love dwarf fortress, i can't even imagine where this game will be in 5 years, as stated by someone in the other thread, hover cars powered by plump helmets.

• Options
    I just came off a fortress where I had to close in a Human Merchant Caravan to deny a Bronze Colossus access.

Within a few months, the Merchants themselves all went mad at the same time and those Berserking were quickly shot down by my resident militia.

The most awesome thing however, was how their pack animals became Depressed immediately and went about scattering random crap all about the fortress. I have no idea if this is related to the animals being closed in, or if it's because the Berserking Merchants punched them all in the snout.

Probably a bit of both.

The Human guards were surprisingly relaxed about the whole thing, and were allowed to move out as soon as the Bronze Colossus got distracted by a wave of migrants. I managed to wall most of the migrants in by turning them all into Masons however, and since one of them came with a pick I had them all tunnel into my fortress in the end. The two poor dumbasses who stayed outside got all kinds of fucked up. On the plus side, now the Bronze Colossus has got a Silk Sock in each hand, which seems to be doing wonders for inhibiting it's destructive potential.

• Options
    god i love dwarf fortress, i can't even imagine where this game will be in 5 years, as stated by someone in the other thread, hover cars powered by plump helmets.

and beards.

• Options
    ugh i'm torn if i want to grab the new version and play without therapist or any of the other fun tools. Anyone play the newest version yet? How awesome are vampire dwarves?

• Options
    Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Good news everyone! New Dwarf Therapist is up! http://code.google.com/p/dwarftherapist/downloads/list

• Options
    wooooo i could actually play now! just need to put maydays set in my folder and i'm off and running.

I can't stand non-square tiles anymore, i thought i could handle it but no. no i cannot.

• Options
    Agent.NihilistAgent.Nihilist Registered User regular
    New version is pretty epic, I forgot how water mechanics worked and flooded my hospital, 7 dwarfs lost but found a vampire! He is now permanently entombed in a watery grave.

<rintaro> Maybe "Coke" doesn't like postings about "Pepsi" on their website?
    <--- Is not Moe
  • Options
    New version is pretty epic, I forgot how water mechanics worked and flooded my hospital, 7 dwarfs lost but found a vampire! He is now permanently entombed in a watery grave.

Dwarf Fortress takes seven Dwarves, and gives you a vampire in return!

• Options
    yeah so when i try to save a fort to play later i crash, thinking something is not so good with my version right now.

anyone grab the mayday version?

This discussion has been closed.