As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dwarf Fortress] With amazing HD graphics!

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I really like dwarf fortress and would love to learn how to play it better. I have repeatedly bounced off the interface, and it's hard to come to grips with just how complicated the game can be at times. I understand the player is more of a director of events than precisely controlling the simulation as it unfolds. But I was still having a hard time with things a few years ago like running a military, doing goods and services, and building things the way I wanted them to look.

We're working on the Presentation Arc next (along with better UI) so you can always stay tuned for that?

Mayday on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I mean, are we talking Berserk hiatus or? 😉

• Options
    Time Is Relative.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    the dwarves would be constructing it but they're all unconcious from lack of alcohol poisoning

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I am definitely hoping the Steam version is not too far off. I'm on a Civ 4 kick at the moment, but that will eventually fade as my Civ kicks always do, and it would be great to be able to jump right into mouse-supported DF.

• Options
    One adventurer dead by going into a curiously quiet dwarven keep and getting poisoned to death by a forgotten beast.
    One adventurer dead to... the un-dead.
    One adventurer dead to this one crazy lady who was single handedly killing everyone in a keep.

• Options
    Okay so important question. I butchered a night troll... is it safe to eat?

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »

Only one way to find out.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Yes. The chance of mutation is really quite small.

• Options
    You say that but I've played cataclysm where if you aren't careful about you eat you really will start mutating. Also apropros of nothing but I am carring around a bunch of severed heads and ears now.

• Options
    You say that but I've played cataclysm where if you aren't careful about you eat you really will start mutating. Also apropros of nothing but I am carring around a bunch of severed heads and ears now.
    I was thinking DCSS, but both work. :) Just started playing around with CDDA.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Did a rutherer and a reacher today.
    rutherer.pngreacher.png

Mayday on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Did a rutherer and a reacher today.
    rutherer.pngreacher.png

That rutherer is adorable and I want three.
    An adult rutherer weighs around 3 tonnes

Ok, two.

• Options
    I'm hardly a dwarf fortress expert but despite rutherers being intimidatingly big and theoretically dangerous, they're actually one of the most docile things that live underground in dwarf fortress.

• Options
    I went to a dwarven trade depot and apparently a skillfully crafted silver hammer is worth approximately two decapitated elven heads!

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Huh. I know a dwarf that'll sell you that for one elf head.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Yeah, but I bet you have to decapitate it yourself.

That's how these salesdwarves get you.

• Options
    edited February 2020

That dwarf is getting middled on elf heads. I can get them an +oak bin+ full of elf heads for a silver hammer.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Also this is neat, so I passed by a necromancer tower to go to a nearby town for a quest to kill some criminals. When I got there I was kind of alarmed to see bunches of necromancer experiments. Human faced lizard spiders, "hounds", the like. I'd seen some before hanging around towns but never so many, so I thought the necromancer might have taken over the town. But nah, they're all chill. They're just people accepted as part of the town's community. They just escaped to this particular town because it's closest, so about half of the town are former test subjects for necromancers. (Not gonna stay in town for too long after my quest is done though, in case any necromancer does decide to launch an attack.)

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Wow managed my first big accomplishment with any adventurer in Adventure mode.

Atir Archworthy*, the inexperienced capybara-woman adventurer, slew the 120 year old great bird Bebmal Whirlstrap of the Plains! The tale is this! Having pledged herself to a town on the outskirts of the plain of the Roc, the lady of the town begged her new soldier attempt to slay the fearsome moster that had devoured the citizens of many a town in the region, Bebmal the great Roc, feared by all and worshiped as a demigod by goblins! Atir Archworthy along with her erstwhile companion Zin Bowquick did not reach the lair of the beast until night had fallen. Creeping through the Roc's next, Atir spotted the beast and managed a sneak attack on Bebmal's throat with her bronze battle axe, to little effect. Zin, upon seeing the beast turn around, immediately panicked and tried to flee. As Atir desperately dodged the beast's talons and beak, she was slowly forced back in the direction Zin was panicking. The beast briefly turned its attentions to Zin, who was in such a panicked state was largely defenseless. First went a leg, then an arm, and then the beast devoured him whole! Angered, Atir again danced around the beast wielding her axe, but to little more effect than a few scratches in Bebmal's mighty skin. Still, the beast seemed annoyed and fled her lair.

Atir waited not far from the lair, and upon noticed the great bird returning to the nest again crept to strike. But this time, Bebmal got the drop on her. From above the great bird pecked, each strike with enough force to dent a hole through a steel chest plate! Atir dodged and jumped and flailed, returning the strikes in number if not in parity of force. Again the Roc could not land the one crushing blow it needed. Again Atir could not deal any serious damage with her attacks. And again the Roc beat a temporary retreat to circle back to its nest. At this point, dawn was starting to break, Atir has begun to hunger and thirst, but her pride as a warrior and as someone who had led a companion to their death, with not even a body left to bury, compelled her not to end this fight till she or the Roc lay dead. So dropping her battle axe, and picking up Zin's copper spear (a weapon she was far less acquainted with), she waited a third time.

With the early morning light streaming onto the nest, the Roc returned to find Atir waited for it, spear in hand. Again the beast swarmed upon her wielding death on giant talons. But early in this third of their clashes, it became clear that one way or another this would be the last. Atir, with all the force her small furry body could muster struck the spear into Bebmal's right wing, breaking it. The Roc could no longer flee on high. This was a fight to the death. Despite Atir's early luck, she was clumsy with the spear, missing the great beast several times as it charged her again and again. Again and again they circled each other, kicking up the dust of the plains. Until finally... a deep blow to the neck of Bebmal! Then a strike to Bebmal's foot, causing the Roc to stumble for the first time. Immediately Atir was on its head, neck, and chest viciously aiming for a vital spot to kill the creature. And still Bebmal fought desperately trying to rip and tear Atir to pieces. But first one blow, and then another blow, and a third blow to the head, and the immortal great beast felt true fear for perhaps the first time in its over century long existence. It attempted to flee, on hobbled talon, abandoning its unhatched eggs. But Atir was uncompromising and unrelenting. Again and Again she struck Bebmal. In the chest, in the belly, she hurled her anger at the beast. The blows added up, the beast slowed, until... silence. The sun was high. Bebmal the Roc... Bebmal the gluttonous... Bebmal the devourer... was dead!

Atir needed proof of her deed, and initially aimed to take the head of beast... but soon realized that it was too impossibly heavy. So she settled on carving jewelry to wear from its bones, sating her hunger and thirst on its meat and blood, and carving two Roc-bone figures. One memoralzing Zin, who despite their cowardice in battle was brave enough to stand in the lair of the beast; and finally one figuringe immortalizing the three times bout to the death of Atir Archworthy and Bebmal Whirlstrap!

*all names translated from their original Dwarven, Human, or Goblin.

Gundi on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Those exclamation marks really bring home the dwarfyness.

The tale is this!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Ha. I got a copper axe artifact by getting a tip from a bone doctor, traveling to a shady tavern in a big human city where a big criminal gang was hiding out... and just grabbing the artifact off the boss' back and booking it out of the tavern.

People in Dwarf Fortress need to invest in like, security chains or something.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Krugg put out a video that made me awkward laugh hard at work yesterday. I recommend checking it out.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Now I'm playing in a new world as a goblin adventurer from a dwarven civillization, who self-identifies as a dwarf and hates goblins. So after much exploring (I hope to eventually traverse the whole world with her, especially since most monsters, titans, and beasts seem to be on the far off side of the world off the edge of this adventurer's civilization's known world.) I decide I've trained up my skills enough to, with my companions, take on a goblin clown. The first dark fortress I went to had actually recently been taken over by an elven civillzation. (Which I didn't realize until I had, uh, slaughtered my way up to the top floor of the fortress tower and found an elf leader and also noticed a huge elf army encampment to the east of the fortress.) so I went to a second bigger one in deep goblin territory. The goblin civilians and guards let me go right to the top floor unmolested. I unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) didn't find any clowns, just a goblin master carrying an artifact gold chain and an artifact drum. I also found a couple of rad, if super evil, artifacts on the top chamber.
    1. Ludosmstungo "Rumoredblighted" a dwarf bone chest
    "This is a dwarf bone chest. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with gold. This object is adorned with hanging rings of dingo bone."
    ~Pretty simple, but an entire chest made of dwarf bone just seems rad if super evil. I wonder who made it, and what poor dwarf it was made from. Fitting name too.
    2. Ogurstrabo "Blackoceans" a dwarf bone throne
    "This is a dwarf bone throne. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of giant bat bone. This object is adorned with hanging rings of ilmenite."
    ~Another dwarf bone artifact, this one seemingly made by someone other than a dwarf. Love the simple understated menacing look of it. Ilmenite is black-iron, so nice accent to the dwarf and bat bone. Goblins might be evil but they have a great sense of design.

Gundi on
  • Options
    The carving is of one of the companions of that goblin adventurer, Vabok Wallwandered.
    The carving begins with three adventurers. Solon Speardusk the goblin, the axedwarf Urvad Blockinked, and the macedwarf Vabok Wallwandered. The three are traveling below mountains. The three are discovering a cave, which they are approaching. Out of the cave a hydra, Athrig Blossumbud the Robust is charging and screaming. Vabok is hitting Athrig in one of its many heads, Athrig is biting Vabok in the left leg, breaking it. Vabok is falling to the ground. Solon is stabbing the hydra in one of its many heads with a spear, Urvad is hacking at the hydra's front legs. Athrig the hydra is bitting Urvad in the head, and in the arm, and in the back, and in the leg. Urvad is falling to the ground unconscious, weapons at their feet. Solon and Vabok are fighting the hydra, Vabok is on the ground. Solon is stabbing the hydra in its heart, tearing it. Solon is strugging to pull the spear out of the hydra's torso, Athrig is charging Solon and knocking her to the ground. Solon is on the ground and stunned, Athrig the hydra is above Solon. Vabok is attacking the hydra with a mace, breaking the hydra's right ribs. The hydra is fighting Vabok. The hydra is mangling Vabok's left ear, and throat, and spine, and right arm, and right and left legs. Vabok is dropping her mace and shield. Vabok is gushing blood and is unable to breathe Solon is standing up. Solon is stabbing the hydra in the chest, tearing the heart. Two of the of hydra's seven heads are broken are being dragged along the ground, four are attempting to bite Solon. The hydra is bleeding profusely. Vabok is biting the hydra in the neck. Athrig Blossumbud the Robust is falling to the ground. Solon and Vabok are posed triumphantly. Vabok Wallwandered is dying.
    Urvad is awakening. Urvad has stopped bleeding. Not far from Urvad is Solon, and next to Solon is Vabok Wallwandered. Vabok Wallwandered is dead. Solon is carving a figurine from hydra bone. Under Vabok is a pile of hydra bone. Covering Vabok is the skinned scale of Athrig. Surrounding Vabok are the skulls of Athrig's seven heads. Atop the hydra scale are an iron shield, a silver mace, and a hydra bone ring. Solon is placing a hydra bone figurine on top of Vabok. Solon Speardusk and Urvad Blockinked are traveling. Solon Speardusk and Urvad Blockinked are wailing.

The carving refers to the conflict in which the dwarf Vabok Wallwandered slew Athrig Blossumbud the Robust the hydra and the hydra Athrig Blossumbud the Robust slew Vabok Wallwandered the dwarf in the year 407. All heroism is of the highest quality.

• Options
    The details of Vabok's burial are surprising. Specifically the phrase "Surrounding Vabok are the skulls of Athrig's seven heads."

Are there species specific burial trophies in the raws?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I was thinking about playing some Dwarf Fortress again...

I know this thread is 96 pages and probably soon to close if we stick to PA's 100 page limit but honestly it is a great resource to browse.

I am diving back in this thread and finding opportunities to take my own advice from six years ago (volcano generation). :P

EDIT: I need to take some notes from past pages here for future reference.

- Craft wooden spiked balls for good trade value early on
    - Craft mugs to get several trade products per resource for efficiency
    - Tie dogs to chains at the front entrance of the fort as easy guards who won't be able to wander off
    - Craft and melt iron corkscrews repeatedly because you get 150% of the iron back out of it for infinite iron
    - Leather armor for archers to maximize arrow fire rate
    - Low quality wooden shields for anyone because they're just as effective at blocking as masterwork metal ones
    - Craft stone pots instead of wooden barrels (old Dwarf Fortress habits die hard)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    The details of Vabok's burial are surprising. Specifically the phrase "Surrounding Vabok are the skulls of Athrig's seven heads."

Are there species specific burial trophies in the raws?
    No. I did make a burial bone cairn for that character in the sense that I manually hauled her body and a bunch of stuff to a spot and I arranged the objects like I described. (locations of objects on the ground aren't actually saved for any location in adventure mode. if I returned that stuff would still be somewhere in the area but it'd be randomly arranged across all x and y values and could be at any z level that's loaded that's has a solid surface not blocked by a solid object (and yes any of the items could spawn in lava and be immediately destroyed.) And I did carve a figurine depicting the fight, but the text above was just something I wrote, in the style of how carvings are described in dwarf fortress. The blood and bones of historical figures (and all big monsters are historical figures by default.) are kind of treated like historical artifacts, but exactly how they are is something I'm not sure about since I think unless parts of a historical figure are turned into a totem (I think only some human civs and maybe kobolds will naturally do this.) or used in the construction of an artifact all the remains of a historical figure are mostly treated as just that historical figure, I think? Same with ghosts.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Dwarves need mugs (or goblets) to drink out of! Craft a bunch of stone mugs and put them in finished goods (stone / mugs or whatever) stockpile near your drinks. Then no more sad thoughts from drinking without a proper vessel.

Flasks make excellent trade products though.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I like having my craftsdwarf making Infinite Mugs from the moment his workshop is up until at least the first couple of trade caravans show up, since that means you can buy a sizeable enough chunk of them off to take off a lot of early resource pressure, while still having plenty around for the residents' use.

(The fact that that results in the spring caravan usually meeting a thoroughly powerlevelled stonecrafter doesn't hurt at all of course!)

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Dwarves need mugs (or goblets) to drink out of! Craft a bunch of stone mugs and put them in finished goods (stone / mugs or whatever) stockpile near your drinks. Then no more sad thoughts from drinking without a proper vessel.

How is it not dwarfish to do keg stands?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    m!ttens wrote: »

Alternatively, bobbing for beer in barrels of beer.

Individuals of an elvish bent might call that "just chugging face-first from a barrel like a dwarven oaf", but what kind of proper dwarf even knows somebody who would say something like that?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    m!ttens wrote: »

See it's not clear but dwarven 'mugs' are actually the size of bathtubs.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh also here's a neat thing I learned. Unless you literally cut off or utterly destroy a necromancer's head, another necromancer can bring them back to life... as a necromancer still. Which means if you don't cut off their heads when fighting necromancers you will literally be fighting them forever.

Also necromancer towers seem like actually the best place for loot in all of adventurer mode.

Gundi on
  • Options
    Oh also here's a neat thing I learned. Unless you literally cut off or utterly destroy a necromancer's head, another necromancer can bring them back to life... as a necromancer still. Which means if you don't cut off their heads when fighting necromancers you will literally be fighting them forever.

Also necromancer towers seem like actually the best place for loot in all of adventurer mode.

I would assume it's because they're nigh unstoppable and just suck up all the loot from wherever they appear in world gen.

Can you butcher their corpses to get the head, or does that only work on animals?

• Options
    Is it weird that my biggest excitement for this coming to Steam is my playing it from the couch in the living room?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is it weird that my biggest excitement for this coming to Steam is my playing it from the couch in the living room?

How close is your couch?

I'd be down for 60 inches of glorious, 4k ASCII (or pixel art), but I can't imagine trying to play it from across the room.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

How close is your couch?

I'd be down for 60 inches of glorious, 4k ASCII (or pixel art), but I can't imagine trying to play it from across the room.

I live in a pretty small house.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular

Vaults are also fairly decent, but that's kind of a moot point since they're basically the end-game challenge.

• Options

I would assume it's because they're nigh unstoppable and just suck up all the loot from wherever they appear in world gen.

Can you butcher their corpses to get the head, or does that only work on animals?
    Answer to your question:
    Yes, but there are three bad things about doing this:
    1. Pretty sure it takes time to do which means you can be attacked doing it.
    2. If you have companions who see you do it, they're think you're a monster for dismembering a sapient being.
    3. Other necromancers may revive bunches of the now dismembered body parts, which is not usually a problem unless you get knocked to the ground.

This discussion has been closed.