As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tattoo & the Marines

Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a friend who, regardless of what some of you may think, got a tattoo of an iron cross. He is in no way affiliated with Nazi's or their interests; and in this tattoo there is some latin and maybe nordic symbols? Anyway in order for him to enlist he has to get rid of the cross and the symbols, what could he have it morphed into?

Please only bad ass tattoos :-D

my.php?image=tattoonc6.jpg

edit: He is going into the tattoo shop tomorrow for ideas but any now will only help

MGSsig.jpg
Bwah? on

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    is it a big tattoo or small tatoo? about what is the size? I can't get a real sense of scale from that picture. If it's small, the tatoo artist should be able to turn it into damn near anything.

If it's big, that'll be a harder thing to morph.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, this is why you should look into things before you get them tattoo'd on your body. Both the iron cross and the Futhark (those Nordic symbols) are staples of the modern Aryan/white pride movements.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Anything on this page should work. I recommend the Sharpshooter insignia, because I don't think something that the US military gave out would be counted against him when joining the Marines.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    orange county choppers ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Anything on this page should work. I recommend the Sharpshooter insignia, because I don't think something that the US military gave out would be counted against him when joining the Marines.

I'd recommend against getting Army insignia tattooed on his arm if he intends to join the Marines.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Glaeal wrote: »

I'd recommend against getting Army insignia tattooed on his arm if he intends to join the Marines.

I'd recommend against getting any insignia at all. I can hear the DI now, "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? YOU THINK YOU'RE A SHARPSHOOTER, HUH?!"

Fats on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fats wrote: »
    I'd recommend against getting any insignia at all. I can hear the DI now, "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT? YOU THINK YOU'RE A SHARPSHOOTER, HUH?!"
    That's the first thing I thought, too.

So yeah, quick advice...avoid any military insignia.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    With some clever additions, a good tattoo artist might be able to turn that into something resembling celtic knotwork, which is a pretty common form of tattoo design.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    From my friends in the military: "You do not, in any way, want a tattoo that gives you some kind of standing in *any* military branch that you did not earn. That is a quick way to get your ass beat to a pulp after lights out."

I'd stick with something not inflammatory like the celtic knotwork would be pretty easy to get done.

Alternatively: don't get shit branded on your skin that is affiliated with hate movements.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, that's a nice thing; he's apparently in no way a racist or anything, but just randomly decided to get a tattoo of a very obvious Aryan pride, complete with glyphs.

Usually the military tries NOT to enlist people who have obvious racism or similar feelings about race, which is why they would reject your friend due to that tattoo. Similar to how the military tends to turn away sociopaths and people who are simply looking to "shoot people."

Any skilled tattoo artist should be able to turn it into most anything, depending on its size. Whether they will or not to let some aryan nation guy into the military is a different thing entirely. Why exactly does your friend want to enlist again?

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    AlwaysAngryGuyAlwaysAngryGuy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We had a kid in our platoon in boot camp with a swastika on his arm. Things didn't go so well for this person.

As others have said, don't let your friend get ANY military related tattoos on his skin until he earns them, or he will pay for it in boot camp. The celtic ideas are good ones.

AlwaysAngryGuy on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Turn it into some funky looking plus sign

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    We had a kid in our platoon in boot camp with a swastika on his arm. Things didn't go so well for this person.

I'm surprised they let him in without making him first remove that. I've seen some kids with pretty obvious gang tattoos and a few with what were apparently common KKK tattoos or Aryan Nation tattoos...but a fucking swastika? Everybody knows what that one is.

I'll third the Celtic plan.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007

Unless, he in fact, becomes a sharpshooter. Then it would be kind of bad ass.

"YES SIR ONCE A SHARPSHOOTER ALWAYS A SHARPSHOOTER SIR!"

Obs on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Obs wrote: »

In which he can get another, second, sharpshooter tattoo. Which would be entirely bad ass. However, *prior to enlistment* is not the time to start saying that's going to happen.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »

In which he can get another, second, sharpshooter tattoo. Which would be entirely bad ass. However, *prior to enlistment* is not the time to start saying that's going to happen.

No don't get the tatoo BEFORE you become a sharpshooter ARGH

Well some marines get full body camoflauge tatoos and shit

Obs on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Except, Sharpshooter is inferior to Expert, so he'd always get shit for aiming for mediocrity.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=celtic+cross&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

REALLY easy for them to turn it into something like that.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    A 4-leafed clover? Everyone likes the Irish and a big symbol of luck seems appropriate for a job where you get shot at.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=celtic+cross&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

REALLY easy for them to turn it into something like that.

:^:

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the help PA, I'll forward the recommendations. I don't know what his intentions were with the tattoo but I don't know him to be racist.

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg