As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The scary thread STILL THE BEST 1973

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    The Cenobite with sunglasses reminds me of Lawrence Fishburn.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    There have been a bunch of new Hellraiser comics. One of them has
    Kristie Cotton from 1 & 2 taking over Pinhead's role in Hell.

• Options
    DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

This right here.

I had trouble sleeping for DAYS after the first time I saw this. Of course the fact that I'd been up for 30 hours and I was playing in the dark probably didn't help much.

batsig.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have never seen a Hellraiser movie and I probably never will

the first one is pretty great

probably the best thing based on one of barker's stories

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

whoever did the audio design for system shock 2 deserves some kind of award

the way she says "i am shodan" gives me shivers because of how fuckin awesome it is

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Dead Space didn't scare me but System Shock 2 with its old blocky graphics can still make me lose my shit to this day

the sound design is just so good in that game

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I fully admit that Dead Space 2 is more actioney then Dead Space 1. But I felt it had the same style in building dread/suspense.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I watched They Live last night, and now desperately want to see The Thing. John Carpenter is fucking awesome.

Also, one of those cenobites bears a striking resemblance to Nemesis from Resident Evil 3.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They Live is one of those movies I just cannot understand anyone liking in any way. It was just so so awful. But so many people do! It is Life's Mystery.

The Thing is pure goodness tho. And I fully admit it's a terrible movie but I loved Prince of Darkness. Simon brother trying to get his mack on through the whole Apocalypse with that terrible moustache still cracks me up to this day.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    They Live is one of those movies I just cannot understand anyone liking in any way. It was just so so awful. But so many people do! It is Life's Mystery.

The Thing is pure goodness tho. And I fully admit it's a terrible movie but I loved Prince of Darkness. Simon brother trying to get his mack on through the whole Apocalypse with that terrible moustache still cracks me up to this day.

You can't find anything to like about they live

What is wrong with you

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fandyien wrote: »

What is wrong with you

i am cursed with good taste and maturity

it is my burden to bear sob sob

Magic Pink on
  • Options
  • Options

they live is a movie about how the media and the rich are secretly brainwashing the underclass in order to ensure their continued control of society, and how a homeless man rises up to show everyone the truth

what the hell is wrong with you not liking this movie

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i bet magic pink doesn't like big trouble in little china

• Options
    edited April 2012
    i have never seen big trouble in little china

i always mean to and just never get to it

but really they live is a fantastic movie

i love that the big fight scene is literally just two big dudes punching each other in an alley, nothing remotely fancy about it at all

and i mean it's rowdy roddy piper what's not to love

Buttlord on
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Man the cenobite designs in Hellraiser are awesome. I watched the fist one last night, probably will watch Hellraiser 2 this weekend.
    I really was hoping that the movie would go into the dimension that the cenobites came from, but all I got to see was that scorpion cenobite thing in the hallway. I really dug the creepiness of Uncle Frank. "Come to Daddy".

Also, I dug how when Uncle Frank killed Kirstie's dad and was wearing his face, and blood is dripping all over, and the face is all droopy, but Kirstie doesn't see/care about this.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Big Trouble in Little China is superb

• Options
    you don't ever really get to see the cenobites' home dimension in the movies

if barker ever gets the scarlet gospels published then we'll learn more but nope

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Big Trouble in Little China is superb

Someone is right on the internet.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »

What is wrong with you

i am cursed with good taste and maturity

it is my burden to bear sob sob

Yeah yeah, The Thing is the pinnacle of good taste and maturity.

• Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »

they live is a movie about how the media and the rich are secretly brainwashing the underclass in order to ensure their continued control of society, and how a homeless man rises up to show everyone the truth

I don't like it because it is terribly made, as a film. Even if I do sort of agree with the general point it is trying to make.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    big trouble in little china is such a fuckin' great movie

my friend and i found it on vhs in a used bookstore when we were 18 and would make everyone watch it

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    all i know about big trouble in little china is you can buy replicas of that shirt online and i want one

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »

I don't like it because it is terribly made, as a film. Even if I do sort of agree with the general point it is trying to make.

you are absolutely wrong

Dead assed dog wrong

• Options
    jaziek wrote: »

you are absolutely wrong

• Options
    the only not stellar part of they live is piper's acting

and i blame that on the man's experience being playing an angry irishman or scotsman or w/e right before he pretend fought a man

• Options
    i can't find a youtube clip of it but i loved rowdy roddy piper on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

a brief but convincing appearance

reposig.jpg
  • Options

if barker ever gets the scarlet gospels published then we'll learn more but nope
    Hellraiser II

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Weaver wrote: »

Hellraiser II

i don't remember this at all so i'll take your word for it

didn't like that movie that much

Buttlord on
  • Options
  • Options
    i'm watching blair witch project right now

as much as i don't like this movie i've slowly shifted to appreciating what they did and how they did it

just threw three kids in the woods with cameras, said 'walk to this place and film it' and fucked with them for eight days

and then turned it into this horrible ghost story snuff film

and shit like the girl apologizing in that tight self-shot is still really effective because it really looks and feels like this was made by someone that's about to die

it's not a movie i like (minus the last five minutes) but it's a movie where i can at least look at how it was made and go "that's fuckin rad"

• Options
    The Blair Witch Project is ok.

First time I saw it, it scared me, after that, naaaaah. I dislike that it gets a lot of credit for inventing the found footage genre. People never remember Cannibal Holocaust.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    i bet magic pink doesn't like big trouble in little china

I can understand that easier than not liking They Live.

I mean, Big Trouble In Little China has a lot of incoherence, the narrative trick of Jack Burton being the sidekick and not knowing it is undermined by the ending, and a lot of other things. It's fun, but it's no Buckaroo Bonzai.

They Live has Keith David and Rowdy Roddy Piper just whaling on each other for minutes on end in one of the best straightforward brawls of all time.

• Options
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    The Blair Witch Project is ok.

First time I saw it, it scared me, after that, naaaaah. I dislike that it gets a lot of credit for inventing the found footage genre. People never remember Cannibal Holocaust.
    it didn't invent it but it did popularize it and a lot of the found footage since then has been borrowing from that low budget no script style of filming

• Options
    my favorite thing about bwp is at the very end when the girl is going down into the basement it's shot from her camera but the audio is coming from the other dude's

just makes it really weird and detached

• Options
    my favorite thing about bwp is at the very end when the girl is going down into the basement it's shot from her camera but the audio is coming from the other dude's

Oh wow, I've never noticed that before, that's a nice touch.

Anyone here seen the sequel? I understand it was utterly awful.

• Options
    book of shadows or whatever is a really shitty movie that has some good ideas and i think the commentary is supposed ot be like the director just going "aaaaaand here's the part where the studio fucked me" for an hour and a half

• Options
    The sequel was a teenage slasher flick with no slasher, like some kind of halfassed Final Destination, if its even possible to halfass that

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

Oh wow, I've never noticed that before, that's a nice touch.

Anyone here seen the sequel? I understand it was utterly awful.

Apparently, it starred Michael Westen.

Which means, if no-one has, someone really ought to sync up some scenes from it to "When you're a spy" speeches from Burn Notice.

chiasaur11 on
This discussion has been closed.