As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    The Keychron looks interesting, but it got me wondering about ergo keyboards. Are the split ones any good? They lose the num pad and usually the volume knob...but then I can just put one in the gap. Aaaand Im quickly giving up on my budget.

When it comes to Alice style boards like that, I can't tell you if you'll like them, because I am not you. Very individual taste, and because of that I would get the cheapest kit you can just to try, before going all in.

I'll say this, even if it might be super obvious, but those split Alice style keeb are not for people who can't touch type.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I really enjoy my Lily58pro. I actually assembled a second one using low profile choc switches. I don't like the choc switches as much.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Another option would be something like a Feker Alice barebone for around $100 https://www.amazon.com/EPOMAKER-Swappable-Bluetooth-Wireless-Backlight/dp/B0BBF7WDQB, add your choice of switches, and then keycaps. You should easily be able to keep things in the $200-300 range depending on the switches and keycap set. A wrist wrest will be another $30-50 and are on Amazon, Etsy, and Aliexpress if you need/want one.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I was thinking more like the ErgoDox or the Moonlander, I think there's a potential for space saving especially if I get used to not having a volume knob and dedicated numpad. The Alice layout is probably an easier transition, but it kind of seems like a half step. It seems interesting, and I could probably run the same layer/fake numpad setup, but for some reason mentally it seems easier to go with a true split board than a semi one if I have to deal with cons like no numpad.

For what its worth my use case is mostly emails and excel so numpad is pretty important. Im also kind of tight on space so the possibility of handwriting notes between my keyboard sounds pretty nice, I currently either have to use my leg as a table or find space between the clusterfuck that is my mouse/cup/phone zone.

Writing this out I think I've basically talked myself into either the Ergo or the Moonlander and basically just need you guys to tell me if I'm being dumb (and if you have an opinion, which is better, there's like a $11 difference. I'm leaning Moonlander).

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I was thinking more like the ErgoDox or the Moonlander, I think there's a potential for space saving especially if I get used to not having a volume knob and dedicated numpad. The Alice layout is probably an easier transition, but it kind of seems like a half step. It seems interesting, and I could probably run the same layer/fake numpad setup, but for some reason mentally it seems easier to go with a true split board than a semi one if I have to deal with cons like no numpad.

For what its worth my use case is mostly emails and excel so numpad is pretty important. Im also kind of tight on space so the possibility of handwriting notes between my keyboard sounds pretty nice, I currently either have to use my leg as a table or find space between the clusterfuck that is my mouse/cup/phone zone.

Writing this out I think I've basically talked myself into either the Ergo or the Moonlander and basically just need you guys to tell me if I'm being dumb (and if you have an opinion, which is better, there's like a $11 difference. I'm leaning Moonlander).

You could grab a keychron q10, which has a knob (or the q8 without the knob) and then just get a separate macropad - https://www.keychron.com/pages/keychron-q10-customizable-mechanical-keyboard

https://www.keychron.com/products/keychron-q0-qmk-custom-number-pad

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular

Could also look into Dygma.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what's dygma

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    what's dygma

https://dygma.com/pages/defy looks like another very nice split ergo and it's wireless. It's still in the pre-order phase but says it's out in November/December.

I'm not in the marker for that kind of keyboard but to me, a must be wireless or I'm not even considering it, a great option.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    what's dygma
    This sounds like a setup for bad joke.

• Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    what's dygma
    This sounds like a setup for bad joke.

I am whistling innocently

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Not much, what’s dygma you, dog?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Not much, what’s dygma you, dog?

dygma balls

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don’t get it

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I knew the joke but didn't play along :/

• Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    what's dygma

https://dygma.com/pages/defy looks like another very nice split ergo and it's wireless. It's still in the pre-order phase but says it's out in November/December.

I'm not in the marker for that kind of keyboard but to me, a must be wireless or I'm not even considering it, a great option.

That thing is both awesome looking and if I paid that much for it would probably be used by my wife to bludgeon me to death.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    GMMK Pro: I'm really enjoying it but the larger keys tend to rattle. Can I mod the stabs or do I need to buy all new ones? I don't have experience with this type of mod so I don't know what works best.

If buying new stabs, I'd like to keep the price under $40 if possible. This is my workhorse board for the office, so I'm willing to spend a little more if it'll be worthwhile

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    GMMK Pro: I'm really enjoying it but the larger keys tend to rattle. Can I mod the stabs or do I need to buy all new ones? I don't have experience with this type of mod so I don't know what works best.

If buying new stabs, I'd like to keep the price under $40 if possible. This is my workhorse board for the office, so I'm willing to spend a little more if it'll be worthwhile

How hard are the stabs to take apart? Do they lube them or not?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Gilgaron wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    what's dygma

That thing is both awesome looking and if I paid that much for it would probably be used by my wife to bludgeon me to death.

I specc'd out the one I would like and it was 625 dollars.

Yikes.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

How hard are the stabs to take apart? Do they lube them or not?

Not too difficult but you have to pull off all the keys and switches. I looked up the Holee mod so I may do that as well (basically the band aid mod)

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Dang are you sure it's all of them? I have some boards where the remove a stabilizer you just need to remove that one switch (and sometimes one or two neighbors).

• Options
    just enough that you can get at the stabilizers easily

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I broke down and bought the Moonlander, apparently it'll ship in two weeks so maybe I'll have it by Thanksgiving. Pretty pumped and I cant wait to get away from this old membrane board.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited October 2022

They are screw in so you should be able to swap them out, but it will be a small project to take it apart. If there is some rattle you may just need to straighten the stab bar, you can do this with a tweezers and a flat surface (I think they sell tools too, I forget what they are called for) Wildcat shows you how to fix it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvH1gGQgZuc

If you want to upgrade to better stabs you should be able to get Durock v2 screw ins for like $20

edit: found this post from GMMK on how to do it too! https://www.gloriousgaming.com/blogs/secret-announcement/sticking-stabilizer-repair-guide

cardboard delusions on
  • Options
    I *do* have Durock v2 stabs on the way. I tried to mess around with this yesterday and I couldn't get to the screws on the stabs without separating the board from the plate; unless I'm doing something wrong. I'll check that vid

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If you have a drop.com account they have Halloween wheel thingy you can do. I got $40 in credit from it(that I need to spend by 10/31)

• Options
    I cleaned and bandaid modded the stabs. Had to take the entire board apart to do it. Much less rattle now. And of course the Durock stabs showed up in the mail as I was reinstalling keycaps.

• Options
    Ok here's a kinda fun project I'd like some help with.

My good friend from college works from home for a bank so he's starting to look for a new/better keyboard. I've pseudo convinced him to get a mechanical but:

* He's cheap about computer gear
    * He needs a full sized board (I don't know enough about his workflow whether he'd use a separate Numpad so stick with full size)
    * He wants a board that's quiet on Zoom

I found a Havit board for like $50 but I don't think it's hot swappable. I'm willing to do any work on stabs and foam for the board myself.

No commitments on any brands or models yet so I'm open to suggestions. Let's say the full build needs to be under $75. He hasn't given me a budget so who knows.

I was thinking of checking Epomaker/Akko boards. As I said, Havit has decent boards on sale on Amazon.

• Options
    Moonlander arrived this week, way earlier than I expected, and I just went through the initial setup. Initial impressions I like it but its definitely going to be an adjustment. Some keystrokes I normally make with the wrong hand (primarily Y which I usually hit with my left index finger, and B which I usually hit with my right) I could configure to make work but I think Im going to try to retrain myself. The split design is a great improvement over my old board, having the keys shoulder width apart is really nice.

It took me forever to type this though hahaha.

• Options

My good friend from college works from home for a bank so he's starting to look for a new/better keyboard. I've pseudo convinced him to get a mechanical but:

* He needs a full sized board (I don't know enough about his workflow whether he'd use a separate Numpad so stick with full size)

I found a Havit board for like $50 but I don't think it's hot swappable. I'm willing to do any work on stabs and foam for the board myself.

No commitments on any brands or models yet so I'm open to suggestions. Let's say the full build needs to be under $75. He hasn't given me a budget so who knows.

I was thinking of checking Epomaker/Akko boards. As I said, Havit has decent boards on sale on Amazon.

Will he want to assemble it or will he employ you to do it? You can o-ring mostly anything if he doesn't care about mush. Most boards, from my experience are quiet on zoom if you don't use tactile or clicky switches.

• Options
    He'd want me to build it and not him

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I don't think you can do a full build of a 108 board for that much unless you already have the switches, board or keycaps.
    Cheapest taihao set of keycaps are 22.50 before shipping.
    cheapest switches I could find are some gaterons on clearance for 1.25 per 10, (which works out to like 15 bucks before shipping), more realistically this is going to be 25-35 bucks (minimum) for switches.
    That leaves you with $25-30 bucks for everything else.

If he's looking for a really cheap deal, a clearance prebuilt keyboard is the only way you hit that budget.

My personal experience is that building is more expensive than buying.

• Options
    If the budget could be raised to $100-125 then you'd actually a lot of good options. The Budget Keebs Reddit would be a good resource for affordably priced and actually good stuff.

• Options
    raging_stormraging_storm Registered User regular

Will he want to assemble it or will he employ you to do it? You can o-ring mostly anything if he doesn't care about mush. Most boards, from my experience are quiet on zoom if you don't use tactile or clicky switches.

Fear my MX Green switches with NO RINGS and MT3 profile PBT keycaps. I make all the noise! Even that isn't that bad though.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Can anyone recommend some mechanical keyboards on sale with NO WIRELESS and no RGB?

Its for work. The keyboards there are crappy to the point that they're hurting my fingers.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend some mechanical keyboards on sale with NO WIRELESS and no RGB?

Its for work. The keyboards there are crappy to the point that they're hurting my fingers.

You can usually turn the RGB off on mechanical keyboards. Would that be adequate?

• Options
    There are plenty that don't have RGB as well

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    @Cantido what size? i.e. do you need the Numpad?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    @Cantido what size? i.e. do you need the Numpad?

I want a numpad.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/products/keyboards/k845-mechanical-illuminated.920-009862.html

I use an older version of one of these at the office, it's pretty good while not being super blinged out.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Varmilo VA87 or VA108. Not sure if they're on sale though.