Options

The highly classy [Tea and Cake] thread

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    There was a painting shop connected to a tea shop in Bellingham called Creativitea
    I would go there, paint something, and eat a scone.

There's something similar in Poulsbo, but it lacks the tea shop :?

skettios on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Janson wrote: »
    I recommend getting a sampler and seeing what you like!

Or going into a tea shop; that's the best, if possible. They should let you sniff the lids, or try a sample.

There's a great tea shop down in Pike Place Market (heart of downtown) that will let you just pull jars of tea and open them up and smell them.

:D I recommend this place to anyone visiting/in San Francisco!

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i love tea an unhealthy amount. lately i've been getting into tea ceremony stuff with yixing teapots and such

season teapots with tea? yes please

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    holy shit, that yinzhen hong
    $30 an oz

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    $30 an oz

I remember them!

They're a blank void in the Force and they give the Jedi a lot of grief, right

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tea, hmm. I might have to get into this stuff, it IS in my blood after all. My English parents drink about a dozen cups a day between them.

A very good friend of mine just went on a World Challenge trip around Malaysia in December, and brought me back some of this from Borneo:

10012012320.jpg

Apparently it is "100% pure Camellia Simensis black tea".

I like to get a pot of 'green tea' when Amy and I go to a Chinese restaurant to drink with the meal, but I am a complete tea noob at home. I have absolutely no idea what this tea will taste like. At least it's in bags, so I can just pop one in a teapot and fill the kettle with steaming hot water, right? How long do I leave the bag in the kettle for? 10 seconds? 10 minutes?

Shit, I have to get a teapot...

• Options
    Try one cup first, and leave it in for two minutes, and see how you like it. Longer brewing will make it stronger and also more bitter.

• Options
    With black tea, you generally want to steep it with water just off the boil for 3 minutes, 4 tops. Longer than that and you just end up with it getting more bitter.

Green tea should be steeped in water that's about 170-180 degrees for 3-4 minutes.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    For a second there I was going to ask how you get water above 100 degrees

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    'Murrcans, Oden.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I like that teapot you posted a few pages back Dru, but they don't ship to Australia.

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    I think my sister brought home Jaffa cakes from London.

Mmm... jaffa cakes.

• Options
    'Murrcans, Oden.

Thanks for the tips, guys! I like that teapot you posted a few pages back Dru, but they don't ship to Australia.

You can buy them from T2 and most homewares stores. If not, google restaurant suppliers, the people who sell ceramics and kitchen stuff to the hospitality industry. You will find them there.

If you want Japanese porcelain you're gonna pay upwards of $50

• Options
    and if you still can't find one I can get you one from work and ship it to you

• Options
    Nah boss it's cool, I'll find one or something similar somewhere. Thank you very much for the kind offer though!

• Options
    I've smashed so many tea pots

I am a clumsy oaf

• Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    This just reminded me, last year (2010), Sier crafted tea cozies for her mom and sisters as Christmas gifts.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I really wish I liked tea

or coffee

I can drink them, but I don't really enjoy it or dislike it, it's just kind of pointless to me?

Hot drinks don't relax or refresh me, they just make me want to drink cold water.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    $30 an oz

I remember them!

Ok, I laughed.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    #pipe wrote:
    I really wish I liked tea

or coffee

I can drink them, but I don't really enjoy it or dislike it, it's just kind of pointless to me?

Hot drinks don't relax or refresh me, they just make me want to drink cold water.

Sometimes they make me want to drink some too, so I keep a second cup with water in it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    My local Marshalls and TJ Maxx have had a lot of Pukka teas lately. (I was going to link their website, but I loaded it and the first thing I saw was "Detox naturally" over some crap they were shilling, and fuck that noise.) I do not usually care for herbal tea, but they have some pretty tasty combinations. Pretty boxes, too, which I admit is a large part of why I keep buying them. Also because my doctor told me to reduce my caffeine intake.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    I drink anywhere between five and twelve cups of English Breakfast a day, sometimes more

it is the best of all teas

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i really really like this one sencha i got it is ballin out of control good

also this roasted kukicha i have, is like, i dunno, it's got this nutty creamy flavor (not like that) and it's really good
    oh here i found it: www.nmteaco.com/Roasted-Kukicha_p_64.html
    some tasting notes: http://steepster.com/teas/new-mexico-tea-company/13488-roasted-kukicha

poo
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    5 pages and no one has made an '... and death' joke?

I'm sorely disappointed in the lot of you

eddie_izzard.jpg

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    $30 an oz

oh yeah it's crazy expensive, even in China

the more well-known yinzhen teas are white and yellow I think

the black version (i.e., "hong" or "red" but in English is black tea) is WAY more rare and so difficult to find

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I like to get a pot of 'green tea' when Amy and I go to a Chinese restaurant to drink with the meal, but I am a complete tea noob at home.

When you do that, they are giving you the worst, most watered-down pot of tea imaginable. Green tea is not really standard in Chinese restaurants (at least in Cantonese, Southern, or Eastern cuisines), more in tea houses, and I think in Australia it's really only served because that's what people have come to expect in Asian cuisine.

(Plus, what they bring you doesn't really TASTE like Chinese green tea.)

It actually bothers me when Blake and I go to a Cantonese restaurant and he orders "Chinese tea." Like, my face actually goes like this: -.-

There is no such thing as just "Chinese tea" and what they're serving you in the restaurant is some awful tasting, weak-ass bile that's probably made from some bastardized blend of really bad pu'er and maybe some jasmine to take the edge off it.

Order a proper tea, with a NAME in front of it. It'll cost more, but it'll be worth it.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    i have too much fucking tea

poo
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Druhim wrote:
    Green tea should be steeped in water that's about 170-180 degrees for 3-4 minutes.

I was taught that with really good green teas, you're looking at no hotter than 70 degrees C (which is 158 F) and 60 seconds of brewing time... and with some of the REALLY fancy green teas, like Longjing, you don't need much more than 30 seconds.

That said, you should be steeping them multiple times. My grandmother would insist on no more than 2 times while my father was taught (by a tea expert, no less) to do it 3 times, no more, no less. But this is with pretty good quality stuff, so really it's about not overheating the leaves to the point where the tanins (I think they are called?) are drawn out and make the tea bitter, so you use short brewing times and multiple steepings to bring the flavour out instead.

Medium quality green teas are typically brewed between 70 and 80 C (so 158 to 176 F) and for no longer than 120 seconds.

Lower quality green teas will need hotter water and longer brewing times... something like up to 90 C for 2 to 3 minutes.

You never want to brew a green tea (even low quality stuff) for longer than 3 minutes, because then it doesn't matter WHAT quality tea you started out with, it will all basically taste the same.

Like, unless it came in a teabag and was made by I dunno Lipton or someone. Then it probably doesn't matter what temperature or for how long you brew it, it will still be bitter as SHIT.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    wow that took many edits but dang I remember more than I thought!

• Options
    SierSier Registered User regular
    Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little red cook book! Little red cookbook!"
    Love Eddie Izzard.

One of my favorite teas is Extra Bergamot Earl Grey. And Jasmine.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    $30 an oz

I remember them!

Kiss me.

Also well made coffee is awesome. I'm not talking about at folgers bullshit either. Friend sent me some beans from some of the better coffee joints in SF, and the stuff we had during PAX at Seattle Coffee Works was amazing.

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote:
    Edcrab wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    $30 an oz

I remember them!

Kiss me.

Also well made coffee is awesome. I'm not talking about at folgers bullshit either. Friend sent me some beans from some of the better coffee joints in SF, and the stuff we had during PAX at Seattle Coffee Works was amazing.

i saw you tweeted blue bottle

blue bottle is good

i made a stop there when i had a layover in SF en route to hawaii, had an espresso

they opened one up in brooklyn as well

there are some really good espresso places in nyc

one of my friends got me into all the good espresso, he is a nut about it
    like, i browse PA, he goes on the coffee forums

he hacked himself a temperature controller for his espresso machine using an arduino

poo
  • Options
    viv ain't i get brownie points for being into that stuff already

c'mon

• Options
    MadEddy wrote: »
    My local Marshalls and TJ Maxx have had a lot of Pukka teas lately. (I was going to link their website, but I loaded it and the first thing I saw was "Detox naturally" over some crap they were shilling, and fuck that noise.) I do not usually care for herbal tea, but they have some pretty tasty combinations. Pretty boxes, too, which I admit is a large part of why I keep buying them. Also because my doctor told me to reduce my caffeine intake.

Um, the "detox naturally" stuff is on their website because that's the main marketing angle on pukka tea. It's marketed primarily as a silly detox method.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SierSier Registered User regular
    Yukira's uncle buys green coffee beans and roasts his own. They are very delicious. His mom has started roasting them too. So good.
    Used to not be much of a coffee drinker, but Yuki makes it all the time. I like it, but prefer tea. I'm just lazy and drink whatever he makes.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    MadEddy wrote: »

Um, the "detox naturally" stuff is on their website because that's the main marketing angle on pukka tea. It's marketed primarily as a silly detox method.

Oh, really? Boo to that. It tastes good, though, I'll give them that.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    zucchini wrote:
    I think my sister brought home Jaffa cakes from London.

Mmm... jaffa cakes.

They are like the one thing you cannot find here

Not McVities, anyway

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I like to get a pot of 'green tea' when Amy and I go to a Chinese restaurant to drink with the meal, but I am a complete tea noob at home.

When you do that, they are giving you the worst, most watered-down pot of tea imaginable. Green tea is not really standard in Chinese restaurants (at least in Cantonese, Southern, or Eastern cuisines), more in tea houses, and I think in Australia it's really only served because that's what people have come to expect in Asian cuisine.

It actually bothers me when Blake and I go to a Cantonese restaurant and he orders "Chinese tea." Like, my face actually goes like this: -.-

There is no such thing as just "Chinese tea" and what they're serving you in the restaurant is some awful tasting, weak-ass bile that's probably made from some bastardized blend of really bad pu'er and maybe some jasmine to take the edge off it.

Order a proper tea, with a NAME in front of it. It'll cost more, but it'll be worth it.

Uncle Billy's? How could you?!?

I guess I'll have to get some of this 'proper' tea one day.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Vivixenne wrote:

What?! Your face already goes -.-

All I know is I want my sweet and sour pork, mongolian lamb, prawn crackers and my goddamn chinese tea

Edit: Hey Chris did I tell you about the time I was racially villified at Uncle Billy's? I walked in there one night and some bloke up the back goes, "Nah mate. They don't serve steak here."

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Sier wrote:
    Yukira's uncle buys green coffee beans and roasts his own. They are very delicious. His mom has started roasting them too. So good.
    Used to not be much of a coffee drinker, but Yuki makes it all the time. I like it, but prefer tea. I'm just lazy and drink whatever he makes.

So lazy.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    ^ I am guilty of this, every single time I go to a Chinese restaurant.

Why yes, I will have the spicy beef stir fry with the special fried rice. What are today's specials? Feet? No thanks. Intestines? No thanks. Brains? No thanks.

I am the whitest of white people eating westernised Chinese food.

EDIT: ^^^ to Tef.

Also, no steak? What? But I wanted curry duck and some bubble tea!

Donovan Puppyfucker on