Options

The highly classy [Tea and Cake] thread

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I really like my Keurig coffeemaker

I'm not too particular about my coffee, but it makes it nice and quickly and I don't have to worry about coffee grounds or anything

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I ate at a couple of cantonese restaurants in Hong Kong and Guangzhou

It all seemed pretty normal

Then I ate at a place in Dongguan and most of it was entirely unpalatable to me. I was there to visit one of our suppliers and I was the lone Guailo and the owner of the factory ordered and paid for everything so I was very polite and tried everything and they were shocked I could use chopsticks so well and laughed when I didn't like something

but a few of the things he ordered were totally delicious
    a big plate in the middle of steamed veges with taro and pumpkin and so forth with amazing dipping sauces and a really awesome crispy chicken soup and a whole fish

And I will admit that the tea was really delicious. It sort of tasted like green tea mixed with chicken broth? But really light and comforting?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    ^ I am guilty of this, every single time I go to a Chinese restaurant.

Why yes, I will have the spicy beef stir fry with the special fried rice. What are today's specials? Feet? No thanks. Intestines? No thanks. Brains? No thanks.

I am the whitest of white people eating westernised Chinese food.

EDIT: ^^^ to Tef.

Also, no steak? What? But I wanted curry duck and some bubble tea!

Well see it could be worse you could be the guy who went backpacking around SE asia for 2 months that one time and are now an expert on ALL types of Asian food.

I have to say you should try the thousand year old egg from Uncle Billy's. As long as you like egg, rice porridge and salt you'll like it. It looks strange so you'll be sure to impress all your friends with your cultural awareness!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Mori and I have this kettle, to simplify the boiling of water for green/black teas! 'Tis very handy!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is thousand year old egg better than century egg?

'Cos some Filipino mates from work tried to get me to eat century egg once.

I don't eat eggs when they're the correct colour...

• Options
    Is thousand year old egg better than century egg?

same thing.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Surely it should be ten times 'better'?

Yeah no I'm not eating that.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    you don't eat eggs?

Man I love eggs.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    oh yeah maybe it's called century egg, I can't remember exactly.

yeah I forgot you don't really eat eggs. When we had that fry up on the farm I remember you saying you don't eat eggs, or am I misremembering?

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    SierSier Registered User regular
    Anyone ever had sassafras tea? It's really good. My mom gets it from an Amish store in Illinois.

• Options
    I'll eat eggs. In chocolate cake, or in a nice quiche. But not eggs by themselves.

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Has anyone ever just stuck a teabag into a pot of hot coffee? Because that is a thing that I like to do

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I've got a nice little Electric Kettle and an Aeropress for my coffee.

I'm tempted to bring'em to work but then I'll be that guy.

• Options
    Just standard tea, Mensch? I am intrigued and going to try it right the heck now

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nope.

Green tea tastes the best.

• Options
    Any tea who's flavor you think will go well with coffee I guess! I'm partial to chais (of course)

Though I wouldn't recommend using loose tea for fear of oversaturating the coffee

• Options
    I'll eat eggs. In chocolate cake, or in a nice quiche. But not eggs by themselves.

oh man

a 10pm "whoops, I forgot to have dinner" fried egg sandwich has saved me from going to bed hungry many times.

• Options
    I always feel bad having eggs for not-breakfast

If they weren't swimming in grease though I'd eat it with fucking everything, fired egg already goes so well with spaghetti

• Options
    Well I just went into the break room and made one with instant coffee and generic teabags and it's not too bad. It gives the coffee a nice herbal twist

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Generic 'Lipton' teas are kinda weak, I love a sharp kick to the cofftea that I can add milk to and still taste

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Lipton is grooooosss

• Options
    Yeah I doubled up on the teabags and let them steep for a bit longer.

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Yeah I had some Lipton tea a month or so ago

oh god

so nasty

• Options
    I am just not a coffee/tea snob. Sure, I appreciate a good bean or leaf, but if you stick it in front of me I will drink and enjoy it

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Lipton was the only tea I'd ever had until I was about 17

I never even knew you could add milk or sugar to tea

• Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Brew some green tea infused with mango

Chill that and blend it with mint, frozen berries a dash of lemon and agave nectar, then add crushed ice

It is the most refreshing thing

Oden on
  • Options
    Tef wrote:
    I am just not a coffee/tea snob. Sure, I appreciate a good bean or leaf, but if you stick it in front of me I will drink and enjoy it

I can understand that

but man the Lipton I had was just foul

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »

oh man

a 10pm "whoops, I forgot to have dinner" fried egg sandwich has saved me from going to bed hungry many times.

In those cases I have rice or noodles. *cough or chocolate cough cough*

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Green tea should be steeped in water that's about 170-180 degrees for 3-4 minutes.

I was taught that with really good green teas, you're looking at no hotter than 70 degrees C (which is 158 F) and 60 seconds of brewing time... and with some of the REALLY fancy green teas, like Longjing, you don't need much more than 30 seconds.

That said, you should be steeping them multiple times. My grandmother would insist on no more than 2 times while my father was taught (by a tea expert, no less) to do it 3 times, no more, no less. But this is with pretty good quality stuff, so really it's about not overheating the leaves to the point where the tanins (I think they are called?) are drawn out and make the tea bitter, so you use short brewing times and multiple steepings to bring the flavour out instead.

Medium quality green teas are typically brewed between 70 and 80 C (so 158 to 176 F) and for no longer than 120 seconds.

Lower quality green teas will need hotter water and longer brewing times... something like up to 90 C for 2 to 3 minutes.

You never want to brew a green tea (even low quality stuff) for longer than 3 minutes, because then it doesn't matter WHAT quality tea you started out with, it will all basically taste the same.

Like, unless it came in a teabag and was made by I dunno Lipton or someone. Then it probably doesn't matter what temperature or for how long you brew it, it will still be bitter as SHIT.

I went to the new chinese place around here all excited cause you know, I had hope.

we ordered our food, and everything was overcooked and tasted like they used their noodles to wrap their fish. (I did not order fish)

Then everyone in the kitchen comes out and serves themselves in what I assumed was a much much more traditional style. Large pot of fresh tea, a huge bed of rice, and many 'appetizers' going around this bed.

Fuck man, you didn't put that on the menu.

• Options
    Yeah they did. You just didn't ask for the deluxe banquet.

• Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Sier wrote:
    Anyone ever had sassafras tea? It's really good. My mom gets it from an Amish store in Illinois.

I make this all the time when I go camping and can locate a really young sassafras tree. So good.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Did I not post this?

Summer: Iced barley.

Winter: Hot green.

California: In the land of no seasons, we drink whatever strikes our fancy at any given moment.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    And I will admit that the tea was really delicious. It sort of tasted like green tea mixed with chicken broth? But really light and comforting?

I wonder if this was the same thing one of my friends had in China
    he said the tea "tasted like the Earth"

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    well does the Earth taste like green tea and chicken stock?

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I have no idea
    but he said it tasted like stock then tried to form more words and then gave me the aforementioned line

Tam on
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Lipton is not great compared to "real" teas, but out of all the mass-produced mass marketed teas, I'll take it over the others.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    Lipton is not great compared to "real" teas, but out of all the mass-produced mass marketed teas, I'll take it over the others.

I love your avatar, Belle is my favourite

but in other news, there's really no excuse to ever drink Lipton unless it's because it's free and your office provides it and there's nothing else around

there are other, far superior mass-produced tea brands out there, like Twinings, Tetley, and Dilmah

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I find Twinings and Wittard's are the best, but for everyday tea its either Yorkshire Tea or PG Tips.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    gosh i just found this new store in my town called "la cuppycake" and ate the most DELICIOUS cupcakes. chocolate apple, raisin vanilla and some others. soooooo good.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    cafe nearby does a bowl of chai

not a cup. a bowl. with a little container of honey to dump in it. you need two hands to pick it up.

it's wonderful