As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Magic: the Gathering: Cardboard Crack

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    my worst draft ever today. yay. no money cards and shittiest deck

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    my worst draft ever today. yay. no money cards and shittiest deck

We've all had drafts like that. Best you can do is to try and make something crazy and have fun with it.

"Why yes, I am running 5 Brain Weevils main deck!"

oh h*ck
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    imo it's crazy that praetor's grasp isn't played, even if just as a preventative counter

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    imo it's crazy that praetor's grasp isn't played, even if just as a preventative counter

it's actually really good in edh, but for 4 mana in all current formats you can tutor your own deck, which is almost always better, or cast memoricide, which does the same preventive thing and lets you look at their hand. i mean, in U/B control, what are you going to grasp out of Wolf Run that they don't have 3 more of?

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    how is it a preventative counter if its not in their hand?

• Options
    Mugaaz wrote: »

The only thing I can think of is that some Wolf Run Red decks only run a single Kessig Wolfrun.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    Mugaaz wrote: »

The only thing I can think of is that some Wolf Run Red decks only run a single Kessig Wolfrun.

Losing your single wolfrun isn't backbreaking though. It just means you're going to win swinging with titans, while also slowly poisoning with inkmoths.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    It is, however, pretty great in Commander if you're playing against a deck with a particularly annoying single card.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Terrendos wrote: »
    It is, however, pretty great in Commander if you're playing against a deck with a particularly annoying single card.

Also steals Tops, which is pretty great.

I got some mileage out of using Sadistic Sacrament against Valakut, because a Valakut deck is neutered if you extract its Valakuts. Wolf Run, though, has too many threats for an extraction strategy to work, especially if you're only taking one card at a time rather than three.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Wolf Run, though, has too many threats for an extraction strategy to work, especially if you're only taking one card at a time rather than three.

You might be able to get lucky with Ghost Quarter + Surgical Extraction, but yeah.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I find the Venser v. Koth decklists to be a bit underwhelming.

I do like the new art for Anger, though. No more chubby lava baby:
    New_Art_Koth_sm.jpg

And having cards for emblems is kind of neat, I guess.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    That's 3 of the 4 emblems currently possible now. Poor Elspeth -- first she gets errata'd, and now she's the only emblem maker without one.

Of course, I've never opened a Sorin Emblem (although I am up to two Sorins, plus my wife's one). :P

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Wait, how has Elspeth been errata'd?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Chen wrote: »
    Wait, how has Elspeth been errata'd?

She was originally released a metaphorical five minutes before Emblem technology was invented and was errata'd to grant an Emblem after the fact.
    Note the diffeence between the two printings of Elspeth, Knight-Errant.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Huh. I always thought Elspeth gave you a metaphorical emblem as in permanent indestructibility for your entire army for the rest of your game. Unless they somehow invent a card that destroys emblems.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Huh. I always thought Elspeth gave you a metaphorical emblem as in permanent indestructibility for your entire army for the rest of your game. Unless they somehow invent a card that destroys emblems.

They've decided that Emblems are the way forward for splash effects like that (when created by Planeswalkers) and further that creating a card that ended such an effect would be counter to the entire point of them so won't ever happen (like P9 reprints won't ever happen).

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options

She did. Now she gives you an actual Emblem.

• Options
    Got 2nd tonight at FNM with a modified Frites deck.

Almost made the UB Control guy cry. Great night, fun deck.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    won 2 packs at fnm last night opened sword of war and peace and birthing pod

won this mornings draft got liliana in the redraft and won tonights draft too got a phyrexian metamorph

pretty happy with all that! :^:

• Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

They've decided that Emblems are the way forward for splash effects like that (when created by Planeswalkers) and further that creating a card that ended such an effect would be counter to the entire point of them so won't ever happen (like P9 reprints won't ever happen).

Hey, if they reprint the P9, I promise I'll have too much else going on to complain about the "Destroy Emblem" card.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's funny, I've always thought of reprinting the P9 as a potential manner for WOTC to decide they do, in fact, want to 'print money'.

That said, no matter how they did it, as much as it'd sell like gangbusters, so many people would flip their shit (while bidding hard everywhere they could for them) that they could only do it when the game was on the way out for whatever reason, in which case it might not even get that crazy as only the die hard enthusiasts might still give a shit.

Which is a rambling way of saying I've been bouncing my own point back and forth in my head and can't quite figure out which side I come out on. The thing that'd be crazy good money would end the game but if it's ending the game it wouldn't be crazy good money etc etc etc.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ran my slowbro fog deck at yesterday's fnm. didn't play it since INN and threw in last minute changes. clinging mists and norn's annex. I went 2-2

g1 vs g/r wolf run ramp:
    r1- "I played two norn's annex, paying 4 life each, I'm at 12 life" "I play red sun's zenith, hitting you for 12 life"
    r2- "I play 3 norn's annex, I'm at 8 life" "I play red sun's zenith and hit you for 8"

g2 vs delver, skirsdag demon makers: him: "this is my first fnm!" me: "I'm sorry"
    40 minutes later he decks out from fog. second round is a draw

g3 vs geralf's copy zombies: him: "this is my first fnm!" me: "I'm sorry"
    40 minutes later he decks out from fog. the field is 20+ zombies on the field, 7ish captains, 3 cemetary reapers, etc etc. second round is a draw

g4 vs heartless summoning b/u:
    r1- he has one frost titan in his deck, plays it, and copies it 4 times. perma taps 10 lands
    I still live until he plays his finisher: machine gun havengul lich + perilous myr

r2- witchbane orb pretends to save me, but he plays the blue card "return an artifact to owner's hand" then machine guns me

slowbro fog deck:
    (slowbro win conditions)
    4 rites of flourishing (win condition: they draw more first, they deck out first)
    4 norn's annex (win condition: they die trying to attack me)

(fogs)
    4 fog
    4 moonmist
    4 clinging mists
    4 blunt the assault

(recursion)
    4 make a wish
    4 noxious revival (I won't deck out)

(protection)
    2 elixir of immortality (I won't deck out)
    2 witchbane orb

sideboard:
    4 beast within
    4 revoke existance (slowly weed out their elixir so they still deck out)
    4 autumn's veil
    2 witchbane orb
    1 elixir of immortality (no reason)

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    So I was contemplating a Gravecrawler/Burning Vengeance deck yesterday (which I'll probably still do) when I came upon a realization:

Warstorm Surge only requires one red mana.

Behold the Caber Toss:
    Lands:
    22x Forest
    1x Mountain
    1x Kessig Wolf Run

Creatures:
    4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Strangleroot Geist
    4x Dungrove Elder
    2x Vorapede
    4x Primeval Titan

PW:
    1x Garruk, Primal Hunter

Other:
    3x Warstorm Surge
    4x Rampant Growth
    4x Fling
    2x Green Sun's Zenith
    2x Sphere of the Suns
    2x Undying Evil

WS + a 7/7 Elder + Undying + Fling = 22 points direct damage for 6 mana.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    You'll need to grab some Rootbound Crags and some Copperline Gorges for your lands. 1 Mountain, 4 Birds, and 2 Spheres aren't enough for 7 red spells and 2 black ones.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Maybe he does need some black mana lands in there, yeah. But Primeval Titan will fetch up that shit just fine, in my experience, no need for more than one or two of them.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Yea, Turtledurdle just ran 1 mountain when he had the Elder version of GR titan a while back. You can get by with it.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I'm working on a Teysa, Orzhov Scion Commander deck, and my aim is to make it a token deck that's very political... basically, I'm looking for a deck to use in group games that acts, like Teysa, as kind of a "judge," making sure everybody plays fair by eradicating particularly dangerous threats.

I've got lots of token makers assembled, but I'd like to have a few more ways to sacrifice those tokens in case Teysa gets shuffled or otherwise blocked. I'm looking at Attrition, Ashnod's Altar, and Blasting Station. Are there any other (ideally inexpensive) sacrificing outlets I can use here? Remember, my only possible colors are black and white, and most of the things I'll be sacrificing will be 1/1s.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm working on a Teysa, Orzhov Scion Commander deck, and my aim is to make it a token deck that's very political... basically, I'm looking for a deck to use in group games that acts, like Teysa, as kind of a "judge," making sure everybody plays fair by eradicating particularly dangerous threats.

I've got lots of token makers assembled, but I'd like to have a few more ways to sacrifice those tokens in case Teysa gets shuffled or otherwise blocked. I'm looking at Attrition, Ashnod's Altar, and Blasting Station. Are there any other (ideally inexpensive) sacrificing outlets I can use here? Remember, my only possible colors are black and white, and most of the things I'll be sacrificing will be 1/1s.

Reprocess, Phyrexian Altar, Grave Pact, Tainted Aether.

(I know two of those aren't technically sacrifice outlets, but they work so well in decks like that.)

Feral on

• Options
    edited March 2012

Oh man, a deck like that wants Hand of Justice (and maybe Gaze of Justice, which was inspired by him). Nothing to do with your question, but there are some great on-theme cards for that concept.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    At the heart, it's a Dungrove Elder deck, so you want to maximize the number of Forests. Between the Birds, Rampant Growths, Spheres, and PTs getting the red mana isn't a problem. The Undying Evil is really just for the lulz, as is the whole deck really, but it does give you a home run possibility with DE and justify the 'Caber Toss' name.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Martyr's Bond and Karmic Justice are pretty good cards for decks like that, but again, are not sacrifice outlets. Vish Kal is removal, sacrifice outlet and enormous lifelinking flyer. I think you want him in there. Ghost Council of Orzhova is also a sacrifice outlet and a resilient man.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Just had a limited game (DII) where I had Thraben Sentry, Unruly Mob, and a flyer in play, along with Deranged Assistant... each turn I'd attack into his non-flying board with the flyer and the Assistant singing, "Won't you please take me to, value-town."

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

Miren, The Moaning Well
    High Market
    Viscera Seer

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Mortarpod + Basilisk collar might be nice for your tokens too.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Avacyn.jpg

oh h*ck
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Turkson wrote: »
    Avacyn.jpg

Meh.

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    I want one for my Kaalia Commander deck.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Myr Landshaper/Splinter combo is legal in tournament play?

• Options
    And then she has a tragic slip and everyone is all SMH.

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    Dram wrote: »
    I wonder if the Myr Landshaper/Splinter combo is legal in tournament play?

Legal in Modern, Legacy, Commander, Vintage, and Legacy.

oh h*ck