As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a 360 Christmas

crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I was lucky enough to finally get me an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and I was really just hoping to get some ideas for games to pick up. It came with Halo:Reach and Fable 3, oh, and COD:MW3, and since then I've picked Assassin's Creed 2 and Fallout: New Vegas (Played 3 on PC). So yeah, any gems I missed in the last 4(5? How long has this thing been around?) years would be awesome and most appreciated!

crzyango on

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    If you like RPGs, go grab Lost Odyssey. It's not pricey at all, and I'm pretty sure you won't regret your decision! Very well-written (although, shame on me, I haven't finished it yet).

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Are you looking for exclusives? The Gears of War games are solid. The Forza games are highly regarded as well. Than there are the Live Arcade games like Limbo.

If this is your primary gaming device though, we can open up a whole new can of worms.

edit-Alan Wake is a great exclusive title.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    crzyangocrzyango Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah! Please, please open that can of worms. My last gaming system was a PS2, so I'm pretty much in the dark. (I'm not counting my PC, the struggle to get through Fallout 3 on this ancient thing was almost more trouble than it was worth.)

Is it worth it to start Gears from the beginning, or just pick up the latest one? With Assassin's Creed I just found a storyline summary and glanced at a few videos to catch up story-wise, so I'm not averse to doing that unless the story just HAS to be experienced.

P.S. Thank you for mentioning Limbo, I've been trying to remember the name of that for weeks.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Ok. Well here are the games i've played on the 360 in the last couple years or so that i've enjoyed. Be warned that it is a shooter heavy list. Hoping others can round things out...

Portal 2, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 (the original can be had in the Live marketplace now as well), Dead Space 1 and 2, Bioshock 1 and 2, Deadrising 1 and 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Skyrim, all of the Modern Warfare games and BLOPS, Alan Wake, Just Cause 2 and the Gears games.

And to answer your question about Gears. It's one continuous story, so if you're worried about that than i'd say start at the beginning.

There's a ton of great stuff to be had out there. And I can't even begin to start on all the great Live Arcade games. Stuff like Limbo, Super Meat Boy, the Splosion Man games etc...

Edit--And maybe ask a mod if it's ok to post a thread asking this question in Games and Tech? You would get bunches more responses there.

Mulletude on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    This kind of question pops up in G&T all the time. There's probably a lot there if you go looking for it.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'd recommend picking up all three gears games. As much as they get called out for being lolbeefcake spacemarine musclemen, they actually have a great campaign and a great story.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Mulletude has hit on many of my favorites - Dead Space 1 and 2, Alan Wake (it's almost as much fun to watch as it is to play), Dead Rising. Currently I'm playing Battlefield 3.
    The Gears games are good especially if you do split-screen co-op. I really liked Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. My favorite games on the 360 though, are Mass Effect 1 and 2.
    Finally, you can find some good stuff on Xbox Arcade.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    If you like "Metroidvania" games, at least get the demo of Shadow Complex. Very fun and good replayability.

Obligatory Bastion plug... it got a lot of praise but some people can't get past the narration aspect I guess.

If you like Arcade style/Twin Stick Shooter, Geometry Wars 2 is excellent. The first is still good, but the sequel has 5 additional game modes that are a lot of fun, and the achievements are the fun sort of challenging.

All of these are Xbox Live Arcade, but are easily my 3 favorite games on 360.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    crzyango wrote:
    Is it worth it to start Gears from the beginning, or just pick up the latest one? With Assassin's Creed I just found a storyline summary and glanced at a few videos to catch up story-wise, so I'm not averse to doing that unless the story just HAS to be experienced.

IMO you're doing the right thing with Assassin's Creed. I found myself interested in the franchise after watching my boyfriend play the second one and seeing how fun it looked, and then played the first one despite his warnings. It was... okay, but after about halfway through I just got SO TIRED of getting yelled at and chased every time I accidentally started to run up a wall, or something. if you think you'll ever have any interest in playing all of them I would say play the first one first, because it'll be damned hard to go back.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Bastion was cool, shadow complex as well. If you have friends that want to come over (and can bring their own controllers), castle crashers is a good time as well.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Tom819Tom819 Haverhill, MARegistered User regular
    You can get at least right now GOW 1 and 2 and a map pack together new for like $25. Work on those and by the time you need 3 it'll be cheaper.

• Options
    jefe414 wrote:
    Mulletude has hit on many of my favorites - Dead Space 1 and 2, Alan Wake (it's almost as much fun to watch as it is to play), Dead Rising. Currently I'm playing Battlefield 3.
    The Gears games are good especially if you do split-screen co-op. I really liked Rainbow Six: Vegas 2. My favorite games on the 360 though, are Mass Effect 1 and 2.
    Finally, you can find some good stuff on Xbox Arcade.

How did I forget the Mass Effect games. A thousand times yes to those. And 3 will be out sometime soon, so get crackin with a character whose story and decisions will carry through all 3.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    crzyango wrote:
    I was lucky enough to finally get me an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and I was really just hoping to get some ideas for games to pick up. It came with Halo:Reach and Fable 3, oh, and COD:MW3, and since then I've picked Assassin's Creed 2 and Fallout: New Vegas (Played 3 on PC). So yeah, any gems I missed in the last 4(5? How long has this thing been around?) years would be awesome and most appreciated!

Believe it or not, the 360 actually came out at the end of 2005! It's just over 6 years old.

Lots of good suggestions in here. But there's one problem: a severe lack of Batman games.

You want to get Batman: Arkham Asylum. And when you're finished with that one, you want the sequel, Arkham City. The are really, really good. Arkham Asylum is one of my favorite games of this generation.