As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Asura's Wrath - Makes people so ANGRY! (GAME\DEMO OUT NOW on 360\PS3)

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    No, this is the right thread. Ashura's Wrath has been delayed till May, but will include a code for a demo for Resident Evil 6.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    The link is to the Dragon Dogma news that it's getting the RE6 demo. They're bundling it with Asura's Wrath now too and pushing back Asura 3 months to compete with their other new IP in the same week? This was scheduled to come out in like 3 weeks!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's best not to try and understand anything to do with capcom these days.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    There's nothing in the link about Asura being delayed, I think cloud is splooging his news-load across multiple threads again :D

• Options
    edited January 2012
    *headdesk*
    *headdesk*
    *headdesk*

Sorry, guys. Mixed up Asura and Dragon's Dogma. I'm going to go have some beer now.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Too bad, I actually would have preferred AW on May with an RE6 demo (birthday's in May).

I have trouble believing anyone is going to care about DD after Skyrim. It's literally going to get slammed for being "an inferior Skyrim".

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Its ok Cloud, I still think you're swell.

8->

Edit: I keep reading how everyone thinks DD and this game will bomb, but this one looks awesome and DD looks cool

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Too bad, I actually would have preferred AW on May with an RE6 demo (birthday's in May).

I have trouble believing anyone is going to care about DD after Skyrim. It's literally going to get slammed for being "an inferior Skyrim".

Oh crap... that mean's I'll love it for it's Alpha protocol syndrome! Damn it I didn't want to buy DD or really know anything about it until now!

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    This...

This was not a good demo.

Not because of the button mashing or insane amounts of QTEs. But because of the way the game handles it's insanity. Take Bayonetta. Bayonetta has you doing crazy shit. But it builds it up. It's badass because it has context. Two enormously overpowered dudes going at it for no damn reason is impressive, but without any meaning it's just fireworks.

Am I making sense?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Well, it presents you with Chapters 5 and 11 with no explanation of the setup that will be in the final game. That kinda means you have no context.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Exactly.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    In the context of the demo you're not gonna get much in the way of exposition.

The proper game does seem to be properly story focused though.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular

Except that DD will unquestionably crush Skyrim in the combat department.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Super Mario Brothers (NES) crushes Skyrim in the combat department.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I just played the demo. It was quite, quite terrible.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    You are the Grinch. Of course you won't like anything.

I really liked the demo and it sold me on the game. I saw the booth for this game at NYCC and was like "well this game is fucking dumb" without ever seeing any gameplay and whatnot. Played the demo and loved how it was pretty over the top.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Played the demo, just flat out awful and the story is filled to the brim with anime cliches that I almost didn't make it through to the end.

• Options
    But... but... but... the story is central to this!
    IGN AU: You started development with the idea of communicating an emotion – wrath, then developed the story, then worked out the best gameplay fit for each sequence. Why do it that way?

Hiroshi Matsuyama: Our main concept was that we wanted to reach out to audiences all over the world with Asura's Wrath. That's why we focused on wrath as our main concept. It's something that anybody can relate to. It's an emotion that's very powerful. It's sometimes seen as negative, but it can be a driving force that helps you overcome any obstacle.

When we came up with this backwards approach to the development process, first we thought of our focus on wrath, then focused on the story, so we built the story first. Who wrote the story? CyberConnect 2 did, as a group. It was a group effort throughout the dev team, but when we had the story, we passed that on to an actual script writer.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1218013p1.html

• Options
    Also, there's like.... 0 story on offer in the demo. Just two QTE fights without any context.

They were pretty boss though. I'm just saying, its kind of hard to pass any judgement on the game's story from the demo alone.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Also, there's like.... 0 story on offer in the demo. Just two QTE fights without any context.

They were pretty boss though. I'm just saying, its kind of hard to pass any judgement on the game's story from the demo alone.

I'm pretty sure the fact that Asura manages to keep himself from getting killed by getting all mushy about his daughter counts as "story." Not to mention all the taunting, the "commercial breaks," etc.

I dunno. Maybe there's something deeper, but I've seen too many other games count crap like that as being an awesome story.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    It was symbolism! He was mad!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What the hell did I just play? The love child of Panzer Dragoon and Heavy Rain?

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What the hell did I just play? The love child of Panzer Dragoon and Heavy Rain?

:O... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MO... *gets angry half way through the sentence and punches a wall* Yep wrath. *sunglasses*

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    16_asuradlc01.jpg

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote:
    16_asuradlc01.jpg

New Character in SFvT?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Nope, word is he's coming to Ashura's Wrath as DLC.

• Options
    Ryu is coming to Asura's Wrath as DLC? Or Asura is coming to SSIV: HTACMFYLOL as DLC?

Because that looks like a screenshot from a Street Fighter game.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Apparently it's Ryu coming to Asura's Wrath. Confusing image, but whatevs.

• Options
    I'm sure it's just one more insane battle in Asuras World, complete with the street fighter chyrons as you QTE battle . Or they put an actual street fighter level in as a boss battle, which would be awesome too.

• Options
    Ryu never takes a break huh? He's gotta fight everyone...

I bet that gi is so awful smelling.

• Options
    7.5 at IGN, sounds like a great rental. 6 fully batshit insane hours.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218975p1.html

• Options
    Allforce wrote:
    7.5 at IGN, sounds like a great rental. 6 fully batshit insane hours.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218975p1.html

The video review was super positive with the only real negative being that you watch more than you play. But hell, that's no deterrent for me. I mean I'm going to get it cheap or used, but I"m sure I'll have a blast. Nothing like some good weeaboo animu mixed with action gaming.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ugh, I just picked it up from Gamestop and realized they didn't give me the artbook. Is it in the case? Or did they screw me out of my preorder. If the latter I'll probably just take it back and wait for a price drop.

Edit: Got it.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    Ugh, I just picked it up from Gamestop and realized they didn't give me the artbook. Is it in the case? Or did they screw me out of my preorder. If the latter I'll probably just take it back and wait for a price drop.

Was it in the box, or did you have to go back?

• Options
    Stupid GameFly shipped this out on Saturday to subscribers instead of the usual Tuesday, so I didn't have my games back in time (they arrived Sat. afternoon). So no Asura's Wrath for me til it hits the bargain bin. I was really looking forward to playing this too.

• Options
    Dracil wrote: »

Was it in the box, or did you have to go back?
    Latter

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Wow, Joystiq loved it too, 4.5 out of 5.

Maybe the demo just really really sucked?

• Options
    I think it's just a divisive game. You either love it or your hate it.

• Options
    The demo was bad in the sense that it didn't really give you an idea of how the final game was going to be. It sold me on the game though. As soon as it drops to $30 or lower, I'mma buy it.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    The demo was bad in the sense that it didn't really give you an idea of how the final game was going to be. It sold me on the game though. As soon as it drops to $30 or lower, I'mma buy it.

Actually, according to reviews, it really does -- you'll literally be watching more than playing, and QTEs are all over the place. So be warned.

That said I'm looking forward to renting it.