Options

The Skyrim thread for adventurers who don't think jokes get funnier the more you tell them

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Probably intentional, to encourage use of daggers as off-hand weapons.
    I'm not sure how that makes sense

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Daggers might not benefit from one-handed buffs since they get backstab buffs.

• Options
    Mysst wrote:
    Mysst wrote:
    Mysst wrote:
    ok annie, I will try that

after I clear out his quarters
    Well, there'll be a fourth victim if you don't reload, and everybody in Windhelm will delight in mocking you for your mistake.

So if you care about that sort of thing, you might wanna reload.

not particularly!

Shameful.

sweet mother sweet mother, bitch

Ugh, still gotta start the Brotherhood quests.

Still trying to decide if it's worthwhile to carry through those quests, or just destroy them.

Gonna go ahead and say finishing the Dark Brotherhood questline is canon.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the dps between the weapons is the same or very close to the same but maces have the highest base damage so they make the most impressive dents in enemy health

Except that the mace perk ignores a percentage of armor. The axe perk doesn't affect base damage, it increases bleeding damage caused by axes. And the sword perk is the lamest of all. It has a chance of increasing crit damage, but that means you have to crit first and then you might do extra crit damage. If you do the math, with all three perk points you only average a meager extra 10% of the sword's base damage. Swords are pretty much the weakest weapons in the game if you take perks into account.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    the dark brotherhood questline is pretty great, I'd say it is second only to the thieves guild in quality

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Druhim wrote:
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the dps between the weapons is the same or very close to the same but maces have the highest base damage so they make the most impressive dents in enemy health

Except that the mace perk ignores a percentage of armor. The axe perk doesn't affect base damage, it increases bleeding damage caused by axes. And the sword perk is the lamest of all. It has a chance of increasing crit damage, but that means you have to crit first and then you might do extra crit damage. If you do the math, with all three perk points you only average a meager extra 10% of the sword's base damage. Swords are pretty much the weakest weapons in the game if you take perks into account.

yeah but I wasnt, also having used maces and swords I found there to be not much of a difference

but there you go

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Kwoaru wrote:
    Probably intentional, to encourage use of daggers as off-hand weapons.

I'm not sure how that makes sense

Well, if daggers got the same buffs as swords, axes, or maces, that could break the combat system, since daggers swing much faster; you could theoretically down an enemy in a couple of quick blows, especially if you stagger them with power attacks and Shouts. So if you remove the damage buffs, but keep the speed, you encourage using them as off hand weapons, so you can keep doing damage while your main weapon recovers. Though that's mostly guesswork, since I'm not very well acquainted with Skyrim's damage models.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    I don't think bethesda really put a lot of thought into making sure the combat system couldn't be broken

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The game is easy enough that whether you choose axes, swords or maces doesn't really matter. This is intentional.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    But Tube, if that's the case, we can't argue endlessly about which weapon is arbitrarily the best!

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    (The answer is swords.)

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    So daggers don't even benefit from the one-handed damage perks?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Guess not.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Maces are the best because hitting a dude so hard his head flies off is way cooler than just chopping a dude's head off.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Can you stab a dude straight up in the heart while jumping into the air and making a sweet kashing noise?

No?

Get out.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    The slow motion killing thing is kind of weird, because sometimes I can't tell if I'm killing something or getting killed.

• Options
    You can get an easy 30x multiplier on dagger sneak attacks. I don't think they need any one-handed perks.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    The answer is never to get killed then joe, duh

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Well, good to know my next daggers character wont have to invest in one-handed. Unless I was dual-wielding.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    What does everyone have for item's stolen? I'm at 23703. Is that a lot?

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Druhim wrote:
    ah, that would be the problem. I'm running an entirely inefficient war-axe and magic build, with a smattering of bows.

now I just need to upgrade enchanting a bunch, so that lydia and I have some sweet enchanted dragon bone gear.

Also use maces instead of axes. Maces have the best damage output overall. Starting over with a new character just using maces and the mace perks, I'm one or two hitting stuff that took me at least twice as long on my previous melee character.

The DPS is still the same.

If Billy hits a Grue with a sword 5 time for 20 damage each in 10 seconds, and Jimmy hits the Grue with a mace 2 times for 50 damage each in 10 seconds, which damage is better? They're both 10 DPS.

The difference is swords git a +crit bonus and maces get a +ignore armor bonus.
    EDIT: It's not if you crit you get a chance for more crit with swords. It's more crit damage. So if I crit, and I do 100% extra damage, I'm now doing 110% extra damage. Swords also look cooler, decapitations make more sense, and I proc weapon enchants more because of the speed. Also you suck Troll balls dipped in mammoth cheese.

Then you can debate what's the better use of your stamina and time. You one or two shot monsters and move on. I may have to hit them three or four times, but I do that in the same amount of total time it took you. If you get down to it, you may be overkilling monsters that need just a bit over two hits where my three hits is just enough kill, meaning I'm more efficient.

In the end, swords rule and maces drool.

Hunter on
  • Options
    back off man, he's a scientist

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    meanwhile, Tiimy has killed a dozen bandits with his bow in ten seconds without anyone seeing him

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote:
    meanwhile, Tiimy has killed a dozen bandits with his bow in ten seconds without anyone seeing him

Pussy...I run into the middle of the pack and butcher the whole lot without having to scurry around like a skeever.

• Options
    Hey, hey.

The technical term is milk drinker.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    skeevers creep me out

I think it's because they are slightly more humanoid than your usual giant video game rat

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    By far the spiders are the creepiest fucking thing in the game. I'll kill dragons, zombies, giant rats, trolls, bears, mammoths, demons, and Stormcloaks all day, but to hell with the giant spiders falling from the ceiling.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    Mysst wrote:

Pussy...I run into the middle of the pack and butcher the whole lot without having to scurry around like a skeever.

I seek not glory or fame

just the satisfaction of an arrow in the orbital socket

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    Daggers should benefit from the Armsman perk. Never occurred to me to test it though. They definitely benefit from the dual-wield and stamina-use-reduction perks.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    skeevers creep me out

I think it's because they are slightly more humanoid than your usual giant video game rat

They're also fucking huge.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Mysst wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Mysst wrote:

I seek not glory or fame

just the satisfaction of an arrow in the orbital socket

I seek smashing a guy's face in with a shield made from the bones of dragons I have killed, and then stabbing him in the chest or cutting his head off. It's a more civilized way of killing some random jackass bandit. Face to face. Let him know just how awesome I am, being a mystical dragonborn guy and all.

• Options
    Skeevers have this rabid, feral look that makes them much nastier than the clean looking Oblivion rats.

In other words, even the Nords' rats are more badass than other races'.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    JoeUser wrote: »
    ah, that would be the problem. I'm running an entirely inefficient war-axe and magic build, with a smattering of bows.

now I just need to upgrade enchanting a bunch, so that lydia and I have some sweet enchanted dragon bone gear.

I haven't taken Lydia or any companions out yet. Do they get hurt by your magic? I favor Flame Cloak and Fireball a lot ...

yeah they do, it kinda sucks. on the other hand, I can now make legendary glass bows and enchant them with one damage thing of 26 points. and I took the perk that makes zooming in with the bow also slow down time, so that makes me a certified (and tried) giant killer.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Nord rats are fucking hardcore.

The bears too. Holy shit that roar makes me pay more attention then the damn dragons.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Skeevers are some Brown Jenkins type shit.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Best thing to do if you're a magic user is enchant a boatload of +resist gear for your companion. Friendly fire doesn't matter as much when they're nearly immune to it.

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    Guards pausing at the top of the Draonsreach steps is practically entrapment. I think If I get the angle right, I could Fus one right over the pool.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    is this where i post a cautionary tale of swords?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI
    i fuckin love scimitaring banditos in the forests of Skyrim

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    Daggers are insanely powerful as is.
    With Shadow Warrior, they are stupidbroken powerful.
    I'm not really concerned about that, I just thought it was weird/broken that I put on a ring of +20% one-handed and the damage doesn't go up, like it does on other weapons.

Might be intentional... or might be a bug - considering that apparently drinking potions of +archery (archery..) increases damage on daggers (but not +archery on worn gear, I tested that..). Lol Bethsoft.

• Options
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Guards pausing at the top of the Draonsreach steps is practically entrapment. I think If I get the angle right, I could Fus one right over the pool.

There is a Companions quest where you and one of the companions can come out of the back exit of a dungeon. On one of those overlook spouts near the top of the mountain with a sheer drop in every direction. One of those ones you can fast travel from that makes no sense.

That Companion was lucky she was flagged as unkillable. It took her like 20 minutes to get back to me.

This discussion has been closed.