Options

The Skyrim thread for adventurers who don't think jokes get funnier the more you tell them

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Honestly it seems completely counter intuitive, but you shouldn't pay any attention to weapons stats in this game when it comes to choosing what type of weapons you want to use. Because it is so fucking easy to break the game with any of them.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    moocowmoocow Registered User regular
    I like swords cause swords look cool and hit things fast!

imttnk.png
    PS4:MrZoompants
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Guards pausing at the top of the Draonsreach steps is practically entrapment. I think If I get the angle right, I could Fus one right over the pool.

There is a Companions quest where you and one of the companions can come out of the back exit of a dungeon. On one of those overlook spouts near the top of the mountain with a sheer drop in every direction. One of those ones you can fast travel from that makes no sense.

That Companion was lucky she was flagged as unkillable. It took her like 20 minutes to get back to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9QbWhL6cD8

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    moocow wrote:

this is exactly the type of criteria you should use

for me it was: I like to smash shit. 2H Hammers for me!

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    perfect timing on the skyrim theme

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I have to write a paper on ethical systems in games. My focus is going to be how soul gems work in the Elder Scrolls games, how it literally ranks the power and importance of various creatures' souls, the ethics of using a humanoid's immortal soul to power a necklace to get you better prices (for instance) and the difference between black and regular soul gems.

This means playing the Azura's Star quest and Blackreach quests is literally homework for me.

Suck it.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    Yeah, Lydia has had her flying lessons more than a few times when running into bandits or critters in the mountains.

High-larious I tell you.

5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    moocow wrote:

this is exactly the type of criteria you should use

for me it was: I like to smash shit. 2H Hammers for me!

first weapon I got was a war-axe. I liked it a lot, so I kept with it.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I have to write a paper on ethical systems in games. My focus is going to be how soul gems work in the Elder Scrolls games, how it literally ranks the power and importance of various creatures' souls, the ethics of using a humanoid's immortal soul to power a necklace to get you better prices (for instance) and the difference between black and regular soul gems.

This means playing the Azura's Star quest and Blackreach quests is literally homework for me.

Suck it.

Booooooooooooo.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    interesting note: intelligent creatures like falmer and giants do not give out black souls like the player character races do

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    All I know about soul trapping sentient beings, is that if you don'tt have a name, I don't want your soul. Except in the Back Star, to recharge something. I'm not making any fancy weapons out of some nameless bandit.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Dichotomy wrote:
    interesting note: intelligent creatures like falmer and giants do not give out black souls like the player character races do

I was aware of the falmer, but forgot about giants. That is a hell of a good point.

Also, the fact that dragon souls can't be captured in even black soul gems - does that mean they are somehow greater then humans? What does that mean for the player, who spends most of the game wiping them out into extinction?

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular

Suck it.

i don't have homework and will never have homework ever again.

i win!

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    There's also the fact that the Black Star absorbs White Souls as well as Black Souls.

It's probably a glitch, but you could probably make a pretty convincing argument about how it shows the dichotomy of absolutes is inherently flawed.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote:

I was aware of the falmer, but forgot about giants. That is a hell of a good point.

Also, the fact that dragon souls can't be captured in even black soul gems - does that mean they are somehow greater then humans? What does that mean for the player, who spends most of the game wiping them out into extinction?

The Dragonborn eats the Dragon souls themselves, no gem required.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    What's all this weapon talk?

The only weapons worth anything are fireballs.

And more fireballs.

Although now that I have a companion and a dog and summon a Fire Atronach and reanimate a corpse.... I don't even really need to take part in battles anymore. I just sort of stand back and watch. And maybe toss a firebolt sometimes. And maybe summon a bound sword to hit things. Mostly just watching.

And if I get the perk for multiple summons....

• Options
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Dichotomy wrote:

The Dragonborn eats the Dragon souls themselves, no gem required.

Oh yeah.

Hell, that's even more interesting, from an ethical standpoint. The Player Character is a fucking dick.

8406wWN.png
  • Options

Suck it.

i win!

In an hour I'll be teaching a class to employees at Valve. Then I come home and play Skyrim to research my paper.

But yeah, I'm sure your day is awesome. Super, super awesome.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    In an hour I'll be teaching a class to employees at Valve. Then I come home and play Skyrim to research my paper.

i'm told that my victories can feel hollow sometimes. this may be one of those times.

(tell those Valve employees to do something about Half Life 3 already :P)

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I used to hate arrow in the knee jokes like you, then I took an arrow in the knee

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I'm all set up to be a master necromancer

but I can't do it, I can't keep reanimated enemies around for more than a few minutes. It makes me feel skeevy. It doesn't help that the only ones I'm ever really interested in raising always end up being too powerful for it to work

• Options
    as far as I'm aware

in the elder scrolls, dragons are immortal. they're each of them little bits of divinity, they don't reproduce like other creatures do, they aren't even really creatures, just entities that exist partially outside of the same boundaries of time and space that limit everything else

dragons can be killed, but that is only their body, they still live on in some way, and can even be revived rather easily by another dragon of sufficient power.

so then what does it say about the PC that they run around eating and absolutely destroying little slices of godhood and what does it say about the game world that they are considered a hero for it?

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    I used to hate arrow in the knee jokes like you, then I took an arrow in the knee

Thank you for your valuable contribution to our conversation.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    so then what does it say about the PC that they run around eating and absolutely destroying little slices of godhood and what does it say about the game world that they are considered a hero for it?

it means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iKsgKCAzYRY#t=69s

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    I've heard more about the arrow to the knee online than I have in the game.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Its not so much eating and destroying pieces of godhood, so much as absorbing and assimilating them.

• Options
    LTM wrote:
    Its not so much eating and destroying pieces of godhood, so much as absorbing and assimilating them.

The real question is...
    Once you've stopped Alduin, can you resist the temptation to further your own power by hunting and killing dragons that are ostensibly peaceful now?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Luckily I haven't gotten there yet, thanks for ruining it for me....ASSHOLE!
    <3

Also my answer to that question will likely be:
    No. I must assimilate them all.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I'd worry more about it if dragons weren't such dicks

• Options
    LTM wrote:

The real question is...
    Once you've stopped Alduin, can you resist the temptation to further your own power by hunting and killing dragons that are ostensibly peaceful now?
    not all dragons endorse alduin's plans

many of them are just paying lip service to him

sometimes when a game spawns a dragon it won't even do anything, it'll just fly around and make noise but not attack until you attack it

some dragons just hang out on their mountain peaks and don't bother anyone. some dragons hang out on mountain peaks and burn caravans and raid nearby settlements, yeah, but some don't bother anyone

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    LTM wrote:
    <3

If you're gonna click spoiler tags, you gotta be prepared for the consequences. 8-)
    Then how are you any different from Alduin?

"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one yourself." - Jennifer Hudson, R&B sweetheart.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    LTM wrote:
    <3

If you're gonna click spoiler tags, you gotta be prepared for the consequences. 8-)
    Then how are you any different from Alduin?

"Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one yourself." - Jennifer Hudson, R&B sweetheart.

Yeah, that this point I've pretty much spoiled everything about Skyrim. I play games way too slowly to care about spoilers.
    My other answer to that question would have possibly been that I would stop killing them, because I've already got a full set of armor, and enough scales to make another one. Then I remembered priest masks, etc etc, and realized there's probably more loot to get from them...

• Options
    I don't feel bad about doing "evil" things in this game, but I had a hard time not being good in Fallout 3. I don't know what that means, but it makes the game feel different.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    LTM wrote:

The real question is...
    not all dragons endorse alduin's plans

many of them are just paying lip service to him

sometimes when a game spawns a dragon it won't even do anything, it'll just fly around and make noise but not attack until you attack it

some dragons just hang out on their mountain peaks and don't bother anyone. some dragons hang out on mountain peaks and burn caravans and raid nearby settlements, yeah, but some don't bother anyone
    Yeah, but even if they are peaceful, can you resist that urge to kill them so you can become even stronger?

Can you contain that power? Or does it become a compulsion, a hunger to be sated?

And even if that's not the case, what if they go mad someday and start killing wantonly? Can you let that sort of power escape unchecked?

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    It's a shame the dragons burn away to bones. I'd like to know what they taste like.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Honestly, the Greybeards posit a lot of philosophical questions about what the return of the dragons actually means, both for Skyrim and the world at large, but Bethesda really could've gone nuts with the philosophical implications of the Dovahkiin's power.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mars wrote:
    Best thing to do if you're a magic user is enchant a boatload of +resist gear for your companion. Friendly fire doesn't matter as much when they're nearly immune to it.

This is INGENIOUS. I don't normally use a companion, because I'm sick of burning them to death and having to reload every 10 minutes.

Going to give this a try tonight!

• Options
    naporeon wrote:
    Mars wrote:
    Best thing to do if you're a magic user is enchant a boatload of +resist gear for your companion. Friendly fire doesn't matter as much when they're nearly immune to it.

This is INGENIOUS. I don't normally use a companion, because I'm sick of burning them to death and having to reload every 10 minutes.

Going to give this a try tonight!

I need to find something with fire resist to disenchant first ...

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular

Suck it.

i win!

Please ask them why the Swamp Fever finale has never, ever been patched.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    @JoeUser Check with the Court Wizards at each hold, they usually have some enchanted gear to offload.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.