Options

The Skyrim thread for adventurers who don't think jokes get funnier the more you tell them

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    I hope someone makes a flying horse/pegasus mod.

Or rideable dragon whelp pet.

• Options
    -smash-smash Registered User regular
    I'm kind of curious to see how much work has been done to the modding tools since Oblivion. I started to poke around with them a few years ago, but the terrain editor was really hard to use, unless there was some trick I just wasn't getting.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    so, I had enough dragon bone and scale to make two full (minus shield) legendary sets of armor, one for me and one for Lydia. and I still have more left over. I dearly wish I could make weapons from this stuff.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I have to write a paper on ethical systems in games. My focus is going to be how soul gems work in the Elder Scrolls games, how it literally ranks the power and importance of various creatures' souls, the ethics of using a humanoid's immortal soul to power a necklace to get you better prices (for instance) and the difference between black and regular soul gems.

This means playing the Azura's Star quest and Blackreach quests is literally homework for me.

Suck it.

i don't have homework and will never have homework ever again.

i win!

In an hour I'll be teaching a class to employees at Valve. Then I come home and play Skyrim to research my paper.

But yeah, I'm sure your day is awesome. Super, super awesome.

Well teaching a class a valve is super sweet but that paper actually sounds like it would be interesting to write!

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Jordis is so cheery and upbeat

it is a little disconcerting

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    By far the spiders are the creepiest fucking thing in the game. I'll kill dragons, zombies, giant rats, trolls, bears, mammoths, demons, and Stormcloaks all day, but to hell with the giant spiders falling from the ceiling.

Now who's the milk drinker?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    There's also the fact that the Black Star absorbs White Souls as well as Black Souls.

It's probably a glitch, but you could probably make a pretty convincing argument about how it shows the dichotomy of absolutes is inherently flawed.

It's deffo a glitch because it only happens occasionally.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Druhim wrote:
    There's also the fact that the Black Star absorbs White Souls as well as Black Souls.

It's probably a glitch, but you could probably make a pretty convincing argument about how it shows the dichotomy of absolutes is inherently flawed.

It's deffo a glitch because it only happens occasionally.

But can there truly be glitches when philosophy is involved?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    All I know is Bethesda better include the ability to marry dragons in an expansion.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Oh great. Dru is having a mid-life crisis and is going to leave Usagi for someone half his age.

• Options
    Ok, that was pretty fantastic.

:^:

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:

Indeed. "Dru is old" jokes are...well, old. But there have been a couple fucking GREAT ones this week.

• Options
    Hold on, I gotta ruin the moment, uh...

• Options
    Dru used to be an adventure, until he took a pharaoh to the knee.

• Options
    fart

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Dru once got a quest to retrieve one of the fabled Younger Scrolls.

• Options
    I noticed sometimes my black soul gems get filled with non-grand souls.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    drop em and pick them back up

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me why I am able to kill dragons, giants, and mammoths easy, but an effin bear (or god forbid a spriggan!) can kill me in like 5 seconds?

I once was exploring south of Windhelm and came across some sort of uber spriggan and about 5 bear in one clearing. I am still haunted by that place.

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    are you really low level or extemely lacking in combat skills?

I never ever had a problem with anything but caster groups because I never used resist potions or gear

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    naporeon wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

Indeed. "Dru is old" jokes are...well, old. But there have been a couple fucking GREAT ones this week.

My favorite was that comic with TDOT that was done by DE?AD a couple years ago. At least I think it was DE?AD.

Damned if I knew where to find it, though.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I have never been killed by a bear, even when I was a low level. I have been killed by a pair of Spriggans where you find Bolar's Oathblade. That was back before I was 20 I think. So far the only thing that can regularly kill me is a Draugr Deathlord.

• Options
    the dual-wielding falmor guys are the only thing that gets close to doing any kind of real damage to me..

heavy armor w/shield guys are a little annoying since I use 2 daggers with no magic damage enchants on them (don't need rechargin neither..) but they still die, and they don't do much damage to me, spending the whole fight hiding behind their sheilds..

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    Cayrus wrote:
    Can someone explain to me why I am able to kill dragons, giants, and mammoths easy, but an effin bear (or god forbid a spriggan!) can kill me in like 5 seconds?

I once was exploring south of Windhelm and came across some sort of uber spriggan and about 5 bear in one clearing. I am still haunted by that place.

How many levels have you spent on health?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Oh great. Dru is having a mid-life crisis and is going to leave Usagi for someone half his age.

A+

Nicely done sir

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    naporeon wrote:
    Mars wrote:
    Best thing to do if you're a magic user is enchant a boatload of +resist gear for your companion. Friendly fire doesn't matter as much when they're nearly immune to it.

This is INGENIOUS. I don't normally use a companion, because I'm sick of burning them to death and having to reload every 10 minutes.

Going to give this a try tonight!

If only you could make them immune to stray 2H power attacks

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Cayrus wrote:

bears are fucking nightmares on steroids

i havent had this problem with spriggans yet though

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Bears aren't a problem for me, not sure why.

I can one shot them with a sneak arrow and they seem to go down in one duel flurry

• Options
    befriend animal hippie wood elf spell.

nothing like bear-ing the fuck out of a giant.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Yeah, I think bears are only a problem for people that haven't buffed up their health much. And trolls? I just cleared out a cave of 5 or 6 trolls at level ten. I had to run away and heal up a few times, but they weren't that hard as long as I took them on one at a time.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Man, I haven't buffed my health up at all outside maybe 20 points, but bears aren't a problem at all.

I just let Lydia, Stray Dog, and my Flame Atronach keep the thing occupied while I just impact-Firebolt the thing to death. Maybe finish it with a bound sword if I'm feeling crazy.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Putting my hat into dru joke ring:
    The dragons were ever hopeful that the fabled Druhim-born would save them.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I am looking forward to rolling my new character.

Not putting any points into magica ever at all. Go away, Mages' College. I'm gonna swing a warhammer, become a warewolf and learn to play the lute.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Thought for the night: "Oh yes apparently you own this. Heaven forbid I steal your damn Hanging Moss"

• Options
    "You can't fast travel while there are fish nearby"....

fuckin slaughterfish

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Ashcroft wrote:
    Dichotomy wrote:
    interesting note: intelligent creatures like falmer and giants do not give out black souls like the player character races do

I was aware of the falmer, but forgot about giants. That is a hell of a good point.

Also, the fact that dragon souls can't be captured in even black soul gems - does that mean they are somehow greater then humans? What does that mean for the player, who spends most of the game wiping them out into extinction?

The Dragonborn eats the Dragon souls themselves, no gem required.

Oh yeah.

Hell, that's even more interesting, from an ethical standpoint. The Player Character is a fucking dick.

Thinking about this made me consider the fact that the reason you absorb dragon souls isn't just to give you cool abilities, but

(minor story spoiler)
    It's the only way a dragon will stay dead

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Kyne's Peace was useful when I used to have trouble with bears and cats.

Now I just use it to hunt bunnies.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    I have to write a paper on ethical systems in games. My focus is going to be how soul gems work in the Elder Scrolls games, how it literally ranks the power and importance of various creatures' souls, the ethics of using a humanoid's immortal soul to power a necklace to get you better prices (for instance) and the difference between black and regular soul gems.

This means playing the Azura's Star quest and Blackreach quests is literally homework for me.

Suck it.

i don't have homework and will never have homework ever again.

i win!

In an hour I'll be teaching a class to employees at Valve. Then I come home and play Skyrim to research my paper.

But yeah, I'm sure your day is awesome. Super, super awesome.

In the course of your class do you teach how the concept of 'episodic games' work? Maybe you can go all Jaime Escalante on them and finally reach these kids so maybe they'll get their shit together. Or maybe just fail them all to teach them a lesson.

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Cayrus wrote: »

until you get over the hump Skyrim's native fauna are the real monsters because they get in your face and stay there, unlike dragons who get distracted and wander off yelling at nothing in particular until they remember what it was they were doing

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Man, the most annoying thing is when dragons just suddenly run off when I'm trying to kill them.

GIVE ME YOUR SOUL LOSER

Or when they show up, circle, and fly away.

This discussion has been closed.