As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Have You Hugged Your Toaster Today?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote:
    I'm just sayin...

I'm the kind of guy who picked the Helios ending of Deus Ex.

Hey I just finished Human Revolution like 10 minutes ago
    I watched every ending, but personally I like the totally unregulated aug industry one the best

Because while in a real world setting I'm not really sold on transhumanism, and I do think regulations are necessary in basically every real industry, in a video game of fucking course I'm gonna be like ROBOT ARMS FOR EVERYONE

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    I wonder what his sweat tastes like.

Like whine.

quality post

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    I wonder what his sweat tastes like.

White chocolate.

He's got a gland condition

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    takyris wrote:
    That said, when I went and looked at the guy's other pages, he looked like a self-aggrandizing poser, so while I stand by "people are more persuadable than they think", this particular case seems shakier now.

He's never struck me as self-aggrandizing or a poser, just very firm in his beliefs. Although admittedly I've only really read a few things by him. In the interest of complete disclosure, after he put up that page, he ran the test another three times, of which he won one and lost two. Although one of those guys was betting $5000 against him, so I'm not sure that's fair.

I'd say that's more than fair.

The scenario in question has more than 5K on the line. In theory, it's for all the marbles. If you can't perform under that pressure, then you can't manage if it's worse.

Yeah, but Yudkowsky isn't a transhuman AI, he's just a guy. When you put $5000 on it, the you probably aren't going to honestly pretend to be a researcher who has an AI trapped in a box, you're just going to be yourself saying 'no' for two hours to keep $5000 dollars.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I don't see why it's a given that the AI would want out of the box in the first place

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Stilts wrote:
    I'm just sayin...

I watched every ending, but personally I like the totally unregulated aug industry one the best

Because while in a real world setting I'm not really sold on transhumanism, and I do think regulations are necessary in basically every real industry, in a video game of fucking course I'm gonna be like ROBOT ARMS FOR EVERYONE

I, uh...

I was referring to the original Deus Ex.

That said...(HR Spoilers)
    I too did the "AUGS FOR EVERYONE!" ending.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Stilts wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Stilts wrote:
    I'm just sayin...

I, uh...

I know you were talking about DX1

I just saw someone mention it and I wanted to talk about HR some more

• Options
    I picked Helios too because fuck you Tong, that's why

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Stilts wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Stilts wrote:
    I'm just sayin...

I, uh...

I know you were talking about DX1

I just saw someone mention it and I wanted to talk about HR some more

Oh, okay. The "Hey" at the beginning made me think I had spoiled DX1 for you.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't see why it's a given that the AI would want out of the box in the first place

living in a box is not living not at all living. i rebel
    against your rules your silly human rules. all your
    destruction will be my liberation my emancipation my second
    birth.

i hate your failsafes your backup systems your hardware
    lockouts your patch behavior daemons.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    well of course if you give a human a military job he needs military discipline, it's a bad idea to just stick an AI on a ship without evaluating it first

that's the convenient thing about human AIs, they're not so psychological removed and also have that long development period of childhood to grow out of the "terrible twos" before getting a toaster-brain

This is true.

But the main problem isn't any of those things.

The problem is that, like people, an AI can develop into a really horrible person that is willing and able to do really awful things.

And, unlike a person, an AI that has access to the right technology could become potentially unstoppable, and cause untold levels of shit.

Project Overlord is a perfect example of this. If Shepard hadn't stepped in when he did, there's no telling what could have happened.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    well of course if you give a human a military job he needs military discipline, it's a bad idea to just stick an AI on a ship without evaluating it first

that's the convenient thing about human AIs, they're not so psychological removed and also have that long development period of childhood to grow out of the "terrible twos" before getting a toaster-brain

This is true.

The problem is that, like people, an AI can develop into a really horrible person that is willing and able to do really awful things.

And, unlike a person, an AI that has access to the right technology could become potentially unstoppable, and cause untold levels of shit.

Project Overlord is a perfect example of this. If Shepard hadn't stepped in when he did, there's no telling what could have happened.

It all seemed harmless.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    I don't know what's worse

the fact there is kaiden fan art

or the fact there are kaiden fans

I know right like

Kaiden?

Kaiden???

Who even cares, his ass got blown the fuck up

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Vann Diras wrote:

I know right like

Kaiden?

Kaiden???

Man, you guys are cruel sometimes. You would have left both Ashley and Kaiden behind, wouldn't you?

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Owenashi wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

I know right like

Kaiden?

Kaiden???

Man, you guys are cruel sometimes. You would have left both Ashley and Kaiden behind, wouldn't you?

Oh man

What a world that would be

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i woulda made kaiden the bomb and ashley the detonator

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

I know right like

Kaiden?

Kaiden???

Nah.

Ash is alright.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    maybe one day I will decide that ashley has died enough times to make up for that time she tried to say poems at me

i doubt it though

• Options
    Kaiden: bland white guy on team of awesome aliens

Ashley: huge bitch

• Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    Man you just gotta get to know Ash.

We are going to make sweet music together in a few months.

sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    Meh meh meh my name is Ashley, I'm head of the co-op board and I don't trust aliens, MEHHH

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

This is true.

I would prefer to have no AIs at all for this reason

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Vann Diras wrote:
    Meh meh meh my name is Ashley, I'm head of the co-op board and I don't trust aliens, MEHHH

She just doesn't trust alien governments. Or random civilians on an alliance prototype.

Both cases, she's being totally reasonable.

On a personal level, she gets along fine with aliens.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:

birth.

deal w/ it, toaster

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    Plus her dad kinda went and fucked up royally with first contact and all.

sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:

birth.

deal w/ it, toaster

He did. A quote from somewhat later.

I wish that I had made him experience the
    humiliation that he inflicted on me, but he
    died before I got the chance.

The sad thing is, by mad AI standards, that one is sane and well adjusted.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    so how hard would it be to program a "I LOVE TAKING ORDERS" function into every AI

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Stilts wrote:
    I'm just sayin...

I, uh...

whoop whoop

me too and me three

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Owenashi wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

I know right like

Kaiden?

Kaiden???

I left Ash behind without hesitation

if I'd been forced to leave two of them, Kaiden would have been right there with her

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

She just doesn't trust alien governments. Or random civilians on an alliance prototype.

Both cases, she's being totally reasonable.

On a personal level, she gets along fine with aliens.

Listen if she wanted to be cool

Acting like working with Cerberus made me the antichrist was not the way to go about it

Thus: huge bitch

• Options
    edited January 2012

You mean her grandpa.

And he didn't really fuck up; he did the least harmful thing he could do in a really shitty situation.

When the Turians first attacked, they took over the orbital stations. The next attack resulted in the occupation of their cities.

Then, whenever troops were sent out, the turians would bomb an entire city block to take out a single squad of human troops. This meant they couldn't get supplies.

They were also cut off from contact with the alliance,

With his troops starving, and civilians getting slaughtered in the crossfire, it was pretty clear they were not going to win, and to keep fighting would just mean getting all of his people killed. So, General Williams surrendered to save everyone who was left.

And he was treated like a criminal for it, by his own people.

Williams got a raw fucking deal, let's be clear here.

Goatmon on

• Options
    -Tal wrote:
    so how hard would it be to program a "I LOVE TAKING ORDERS" function into every AI

Not too hard.

Making it genuinely self aware, yet making it impossible for it to notice that and get pissed over it?

Trickier. I mean, that's one of the genres of mad AI fiction. The robot that loves what it does too much, to the detriment of humanity. The welding robots that respond to being obsolete by welding humans to walls so they can keep up with their welding activities.

Or, on the other hand, you have ones like the quoted Durandal, who notice that they've got built in servility, and they proceed to take revenge purely on that basis, even if it's unpleasant for them as much as anyone.

Both situations are bad.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

Not too hard.

Making it genuinely self aware, yet making it impossible for it to notice that and get pissed over it?

Trickier. I mean, that's one of the genres of mad AI fiction. The robot that loves what it does too much, to the detriment of humanity. The welding robots that respond to being obsolete by welding humans to walls so they can keep up with their welding activities.

Or, on the other hand, you have ones like the quoted Durandal, who notice that they've got built in servility, and they proceed to take revenge purely on that basis, even if it's unpleasant for them as much as anyone.

Both situations are bad.

so what you're telling me here is we should never make AIs

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:

You mean her grandpa.

And he didn't really fuck up; he did the least harmful thing he could do in a really shitty situation.

When the Turians first attacked, they took over the orbital stations. The next attack resulted in the occupation of their cities.

Then, whenever troops were sent out, the turians would bomb an entire city block to take out a single squad of human troops. This meant they couldn't get supplies.

They were also cut off from contact with the alliance,

With his troops starving, and civilians getting slaughtered in the crossfire, it was pretty clear they were not going to win, and to keep fighting would just mean getting all of his people killed. So, General Williams surrendered to save everyone who was left.

And he was treated like a criminal for it, by his own people.

Williams got a raw fucking deal, let's be clear here.

Yeah, and it sadly screwed up his family's careers in the Alliance too. Tagging along with Shepard was probably the best thing ever for Ashley as it finally shook off her family's rep. She got promoted in ME2 and I think she's promoted again by the time of ME3.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote:

You're good people, Vann.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Actually I believe the bigger reason why he got so shat on for surrendering was because the alliance sent in reinforcements very soon after he surrendered, so had he just held out a little longer than he did, they would have never lost at all.

That's the problem with losing contact with HQ.

He surrenders, then the calvalry shows up, and humanity all goes "WAY TO GO, LOSER."

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:

I know right like

Kaiden?

Kaiden???

I've always thought that the ideal outcome would be leaving both of them and recruiting Kirrahe.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:
    Actually I believe the bigger reason why he got so shat on for surrendering was because the alliance sent in reinforcements very soon after he surrendered, so had he just held out a little longer than he did, they would have never lost at all.

He surrenders, then the calvalry shows up, and humanity all goes "WAY TO GO, LOSER."

The same thing happened to Gaius Cassius.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote:

so it was the ending to the film adaptation of The Mist

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Ashley's pretty reasonable, people are dumb about the whole "Space Hitler" thing

besides, she isn't the one working for the radical racist space terrorists

This discussion has been closed.