As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Expensive purses, etc.

• CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, dudes... different situations call for different answers.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    dammit cal we don't need that shit in here

we are looking for the ultimate solution

potatoe on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    lostwords wrote: »
    Defender, do you have like a list of specific requirements for a woman to be considered Mrs. Defender material, or is it more general ideas? Either way, anything on there out of the ordinary you want to share with the class?

(not meant to be mocking, just curious)

I mean...well everybody has some pretty similar ideas, I think.

Like "I have to think she's a hot babe" is usually on the list in one way or another. At the very least "I have to be not-repulsed by her" or "I have to want to have sex with her" or something. So I have that.

I want her to have a similar commitment to health, both mental and physical, to what I have. I do not want someone who is lazy in either way, because I think that mental laziness leads to dullness and is bad for raising kids, and physical laziness leads to health problems and is just plain unattractive.

Having some common tastes or interests is important. This could mean that she wants to explore new foods, that she loves language (which I've neglected lately, actually), that she enjoys art in the "let's analyze and discuss this" sense, that she is devoted to any of the various forms of the martial arts, that she likes (core) video games, and/or that she's interested in some aspect of what I'll call "computer stuff." To put it into broad strokes, those are my interests. The last few there are pretty male-dominated, but the first few are not. Big bonus points for sharing multiple interests with me.

Ethically sound. This is non-negotiable, she has to be above reproach in the ethical sense. I myself am, and this doesn't mean I'm a "perfect person" or anything, but I simply don't do things that I believe are wrong. That's a really, really big deal to me. If you will do what you believe to be wrong in any but the most extreme circumstances, how can I trust you?

Faith, we'll call it, is optional, as long as it doesn't interfere with other things or involve crazy bullshit like "gods hates fags" or "everyone who believes in god is a fucking idiot."

+10 points if she's Irish.

+10 points is she's a redhead.

She must not be crazy. Red hair, by the way, does not buy you extra allowance on the crazy scale; I've already had that combination and it really, really stops mattering that your hair is red.

This is a long list, and I'm cutting it here just because I don't want to get into too much minutia. To be fair, though, this is a major life decision, and the list SHOULD be long and detailed.

Defender on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Defender likes Irish chicks because they expect to be slapped around by their husband.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ITT lostwords tries to seduce Defender

ITT SpongeCake unzips his fly slowly, reaching inside...

SpongeCake on
  • BijlBijl Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Bijl wrote: »
    Some women may spend way too much on purses, but I think men are just as bad, though they have different interests.

If a man has enough money, he might buy some expensive wine or cognac, a nice suit, or a car that is twice as big and luxurious as he needs it to be, and women may find this riduculous.

Of course this doesn't count for all men, but I know it does for me :P.

I'll buy nice wine. I'd probably buy a better TV to go with a new gaming console...in maybe a year, when there's more good stuff out. I really would not start buying luxury cars and fancy clothes and all that shit. I have no interest in material things. I don't like living in squalor, and I don't think that all material goods are evil or whatever, but I wouldn't start living like a rich man just because I have the money to do so. I'd probably eat sashimi a little more often, though.
    Well my point is that there are things that men sometimes spend a lot of money on, but instead of bags, they spend it on gadgets or wine or a watch.

Of course this doesn't count for everyone, but I think many people spend too much money on something than they have to from time to time.

Bijl on
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've never felt a boyfriend to be a 'major life decision'. I'm not saying that lists are wrong, just that I've never really had a criteria. I guess it's more about the person as a whole.

Janson on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Nucsh wrote: »
    Rolo wrote: »
    It's more about owning a $60 000+ boat and then living so far away from the nearest body of water that you have to keep this boat on your property (in this case, my neighbours bungalow, which is already cramped) for about 362 days a year, and spend about $1000 a year to maintain this boat. If you own a boat, putting a tarp over it makes sense of course, but having a boat to use it only two or three times a year seems... slightly ridiculous.

I live on a lake. A rather large one, and there are thousands of boats registered in my county. There are people who keep their boat in their own private dock, propped up on a lift for 362 days a year.

I know people who live 20 minutes from the lake, and are out on the water every weekend.

I bet this blows your mind.

What?

If you only live twenty minutes from the lake, and you use it every weekend, go ahead and own your own boat.

If you simply own a boat and never (or hardly ever) use it, why the hell did you buy it? The proximity to the lake doesn't really matter that much, except that in the case of my neighbour it takes him like 8 hours of preperation to have a three hour boat ride beacuase he insists on driving up north in his car, so that he can experience the joys of transportation in a lake on his boat.

Brolo on
  • tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn

I was really hoping I would be Mrs. Defender material

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's more about owning a $60 000+ boat and then living so far away from the nearest body of water that you have to keep this boat on your property (in this case, my neighbours bungalow, which is already cramped) for about 362 days a year, and spend about $1000 a year to maintain this boat. If you own a boat, putting a tarp over it makes sense of course, but having a boat to use it only two or three times a year seems... slightly ridiculous.

Ah! So you were implying that people that shell out for a boat and not use it silly. Ok I hear you now. Well here are a couple things to consider.

First, keeping a boat at a dock can get very expensive and isn't worth it if it is a smaller boat and you don't get to use it much. Also, most people don't actually pay full-price for a boat. Boats don't depreciate in value at nearly the same level cars and a majority of them are purchased used. My folks paid something like $60,000 for their 1987 30' Sea Ray back in '95 and it's not like you can fit that behemoth in a garage or driveway. An 11,000 lbs. boat would wreak havoc on your driveway/foundation.

My guess is if your neighbors have been keeping a boat covered in their driveway for a while I doubt they paid 60 grand for it.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Defender, do you have like a list of specific requirements for a woman to be considered Mrs. Defender material, or is it more general ideas? Either way, anything on there out of the ordinary you want to share with the class?

Like "I have to think she's a hot babe" is usually on the list in one way or another. At the very least "I have to be not-repulsed by her" or "I have to want to have sex with her" or something. So I have that.

I want her to have a similar commitment to health, both mental and physical, to what I have. I do not want someone who is lazy in either way, because I think that mental laziness leads to dullness and is bad for raising kids, and physical laziness leads to health problems and is just plain unattractive.

Having some common tastes or interests is important. This could mean that she wants to explore new foods, that she loves language (which I've neglected lately, actually), that she enjoys art in the "let's analyze and discuss this" sense, that she is devoted to any of the various forms of the martial arts, that she likes (core) video games, and/or that she's interested in some aspect of what I'll call "computer stuff." To put it into broad strokes, those are my interests. The last few there are pretty male-dominated, but the first few are not. Big bonus points for sharing multiple interests with me.

Ethically sound. This is non-negotiable, she has to be above reproach in the ethical sense. I myself am, and this doesn't mean I'm a "perfect person" or anything, but I simply don't do things that I believe are wrong. That's a really, really big deal to me. If you will do what you believe to be wrong in any but the most extreme circumstances, how can I trust you?

Faith, we'll call it, is optional, as long as it doesn't interfere with other things or involve crazy bullshit like "gods hates fags" or "everyone who believes in god is a fucking idiot."

She must not be crazy. Red hair, by the way, does not buy you extra allowance on the crazy scale; I've already had that combination and it really, really stops mattering that your hair is red.

This is a long list, and I'm cutting it here just because I don't want to get into too much minutia. To be fair, though, this is a major life decision, and the list SHOULD be long and detailed.

I'm curious to hear whether females' lists are at all similar to this, though. I'm concerned this is maybe where the general disparity between the sexes lies.

All I hear are things like "I want him to provide for me, and be romantic by always doing things for me, and I don't care if he's ethically sound as long as he's hot and manly, because I can change him." Another generalization, I'm sure. Maybe I've hung out with too many dumb college chicks.

Strato on
    edited February 2007
    SpongeCake wrote: »
    ITT lostwords tries to seduce Defender

ITT SpongeCake unzips his fly slowly, reaching inside...
    blu2.jpg

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I live on a lake. A rather large one, and there are thousands of boats registered in my county. There are people who keep their boat in their own private dock, propped up on a lift for 362 days a year.

I know people who live 20 minutes from the lake, and are out on the water every weekend.

What?

If you only live twenty minutes from the lake, and you use it every weekend, go ahead and own your own boat.

If you simply own a boat and never (or hardly ever) use it, why the hell did you buy it? The proximity to the lake doesn't really matter that much, except that in the case of my neighbour it takes him like 8 hours of preperation to have a three hour boat ride beacuase he insists on driving up north in his car, so that he can experience the joys of transportation in a lake on his boat.

Boating is fun. Maybe this guy really enjoys boating.
    You obviously don't enjoy it as much, or at all.

Of course you're not going to agree with it.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    Well my point is that there are things that men sometimes spend a lot of money on, but instead of bags, they spend it on gadgets or wine or a watch.

Of course this doesn't count for everyone, but I think many people spend too much money on something than they have to from time to time.

Absolutely.

I do have a few female friends who like the usual shoes-pretty jewellery-clothes. However, they also tend not to have expensive electronics; they don't pay for an internet connection; they don't own sports cars, or many DVDs.

I have no problem with someone who spends money on what may be frivolous things - I may not do it myself, and I may not see the point in designer labels, but so long as they can afford it, that's absolutely fine with me. Everyone spends money on something!

Now, where I have a problem is when a) a partner is expected to pay for it, b) it's on credit (I do have a credit card which I used in California and am still paying off, so I understand how charges build up, but I haven't bought anything huge for myself since then) or c) it's bought by the person themselves but other people are expected to pick up tabs for more important affairs such as bills, rent etc.

Janson on
    edited February 2007
    potatoe wrote: »

I'll give you one hint, it involves little yellow stars.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited February 2007
    Callius wrote: »

are we going to all go play mario 64?

potatoe on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007

What?

If he really enjoys boating, wouldn't he do it more?

Brolo on
    edited February 2007
    Strato wrote: »

I'm curious to hear whether females' lists are at all similar to this, though. I'm concerned this is maybe where the general disparity between the sexes lies.

All I hear are things like "I want him to provide for me, and be romantic by always doing things for me, and I don't care if he's ethically sound as long as he's hot and manly, because I can change him." Another generalization, I'm sure. Maybe I've hung out with too many dumb college chicks.

Jesus christ, my girlfriend is the total opposite of that.

"Most women" don't think that way. That is what men project onto women, historically speaking.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The older I get, the more I despise the thought of a wife that I would have to "provide" for. Dependency is such a turnoff.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • NucshNucsh Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

If he really enjoys boating, wouldn't he do it more?

Maybe he has a busy schedule, other things he likes to do, etc.

Maybe you should just not bitch about things you don't personally enjoy.

Nucsh on
    [SIGPIC]GIANT ENEMY BEAR[/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2007
    If any ladies are Internet-Stalking me and interested in becoming Mrs. Cake, I want to be a kept man. I'll stay at home, cook and clean for you, work hard at being pretty and if you want to beat me with your briefcase when you come home from a busy day at work because I just won't shut up that's fine.

SpongeCake on
    edited February 2007

"Most women" don't think that way. That is what men project onto women, historically speaking.

k thanks for the help

Strato on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2007
    every woman's checklist is

- big penis +10pts
    - everything else +10pts

bongi on
    edited February 2007
    Butters wrote: »
    The older I get, the more I despise the thought of a wife that I would have to "provide" for. Dependency is such a turnoff.

i wouldn't mind having a wife that stayed at home with the kids, given i had a job that could support that.
    but i am in no means against her bringing home a paycheck as well

potatoe on
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    When I was in London this summer I spent a day with a friend of mine who liked to shop a lot. She took me to Harrod's where she found a Chloe purse she really really wanted. It was something like $895. After thinking about it for 20 minutes while walking around the store, where she bought herself a bracelet and matching necklace, she went back to buy the purse. Unfortunately they sold it to a woman he got there not 2 minutes before her. So, she went next door to what I think is Harvey Nichols, and bought the same purse for $5 less. I think I might have spent about $20 that day on water and food.

SkankPlaya on
    edited February 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    bongi's checklist is

- big penis +10pts
    - everything else +10pts

potatoe on
    edited February 2007

Then we'll all take a nice, warm, shower.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited February 2007
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    I think I might have spent about $20 that day on water and food.

You spent money on water? Fag.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2007
    Janson wrote: »
    I've never felt a boyfriend to be a 'major life decision'. I'm not saying that lists are wrong, just that I've never really had a criteria. I guess it's more about the person as a whole.

I am talking about a wife, not a girlfriend.

Defender on
  • BijlBijl Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Janson wrote: »

Absolutely.

I do have a few female friends who like the usual shoes-pretty jewellery-clothes. However, they also tend not to have expensive electronics; they don't pay for an internet connection; they don't own sports cars, or many DVDs.

I have no problem with someone who spends money on what may be frivolous things - I may not do it myself, and I may not see the point in designer labels, but so long as they can afford it, that's absolutely fine with me. Everyone spends money on something!

Now, where I have a problem is when a) a partner is expected to pay for it, b) it's on credit (I do have a credit card which I used in California and am still paying off, so I understand how charges build up, but I haven't bought anything huge for myself since then) or c) it's bought by the person themselves but other people are expected to pick up tabs for more important affairs such as bills, rent etc.
    Yeah, off course you should only do those things if you can afford it. But if you don't have a credit card, and pay your bills, why don't spend some money, if you enjoy it?

Buying a $1000 bag for your girlfriend sounds pretty ridiculous to me though:P .

Bijl on
    edited February 2007

Then we'll all take a nice, warm, shower.

will it be golden?

potatoe on
    edited February 2007

k thanks for the help

Seriously, dude, feminism already came through this way. Not sure if you happened to notice or not.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited February 2007
    My girlfriend bought a purse for $20.

It was pretty. It's green and embroidered with thick black thread and pieces of mirror. It's organic cotton and was fair trade.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
    edited February 2007
    I wish I could carry a purse.

SpongeCake on
    edited February 2007

You'd like a list?

Okay, I'll make one :D

1. Is honest/trustworthy. I really can't bear people who lie, even if it's only on small silly occasions. My ex once lied about his name (it's a short, common name and he said it was short for a longer name to make it seem more exotic) - that put me off him for months! I suppose this ties in with Defender's 'ethics' requirement.

2. Shares enough similar interests with me. I'm pretty broad-minded and I enjoy many different TV shows, I like the theatre, I like playing games, I like going to the cinema, I like opera, I like musicals, I like dance, I like anime, I love reading, I do a little drawing, I'd like to start a martial art or meditation, I can enjoy gardening, etc., so unless the guy is really sporty (I will never enjoy a football game) or drinks a lot (the pub culture isn't really for me - I love the odd pint but it's an expensive hobby) it's hard not to find at least some common ground.

3. Would like children at some point. This may seem silly, but I'd hate to invest heavily in a relationship and get close to the wedding aisle only to discover that our life-long goals weren't compatible.

4. Shows a degree of common sense.

I don't really have any physical traits; I do like dark-haired men, but I've dated a red-head and a blond; I like dark eyes and am not fond of blue, but all the men I've dated have been blue eyed or green eyed, I like tall men but my boyfriend is shorter than me, etc.

Janson on
  • JenniferJennifer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a really cute gucci purse. It is the only desginer I have. It is about 5 years old now. I still use it. It is a good all purpose black purse I use if I go out at night.

EDIT

wow I actually found it. The only differance is that the strap is black.

shim.gif

Jennifer on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited February 2007
    bongi wrote: »
    bongi's checklist is

- big penis +10pts
    - everything else +10pts
    I AM EVERY WOMAN

bongi on
    edited February 2007

k thanks for the help

Seriously, dude, feminism already came through this way. Not sure if you happened to notice or not.

Trust me, I'm all for it!

Strato on
    edited February 2007
    Janson, do you want to make some little children right here, right now?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2007

Your girlfriend is non-standard, Cal, as are you.

Wanting a man to be a provider and wanting him to be romantic is not uncommon in my experience. Also, "I can change him" is supposedly a very common idea, almost as common as "she will never change."

Defender on