As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

MrMonroeMrMonroe passed outon the floor nowRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Social Entropy++
First of all

387866_568521910598_22702199_31432504_1904337063_n.jpg

yeah, that's right. It's a six-player game and when you get knocked out as an Empire you start playing as the Terrorists. You make all your money from securing oil supplies.

Also it came with this thing:

20120113135928875.jpg

You guys want I should do a play by post of this sometime?

but I guess people also play DnD or whatever. In case you missed it from the last thread, there's this thing called a "System Resource Document" that basically means a document that has all the rules of any given system in one tidy place. People sometimes make them as websites.

Here is one for Pathfinder, which is a pretty awesomely updated version of 3.5 for anyone who grew up on 3.5 and is a total snob about hating on 4e. (It's me) There's a bunch of new classes with cool names like Inquisitor or Cavalier or Alchemist. Also there's a site that helps you run a Pathfinder game with a d20 modern ruleset, if you're into that kind of thing.

Check out this new hotness as well: There's a free SRD for Mutants and Masterminds. You know, that game everyone is always raving about where you basically get to design whatever kind of superhero or supervillain you want and then go around town saving people or ransoming cities for ten million dollars. Hahaha! Hahahahah! HAHAHAHA-ahem. Excuse me.

Let's talk about modelling our darkest fantasies of lust and violence by rolling a big pile of d6's on top of a stained dry-erase mat.

Dragon33.jpg

GRAAAOOWWWRRRR

SHIT YEAH

MrMonroe on

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    pathfinder rules

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote:
    pathfinder rules

Pathfinder drools.

Also your face.

Also also I actually kinda wanna try pathfinder.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I do not care for pathfinder

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I've never played Pathfinder but reading up on it some of the adaptations made to the base system are pretty interesting

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I have too many RPG books for fuck sakes.

All I've ever played is D&D but I love reading new ones.

• Options
    pathfinder has some hilariously broken rules though

like the lvl 5 character who can walk into a capital city, declare that he is the real king, tap a bluff check and 3 days later there is a massive riot to depose the ruler and put him n the throne

• Options
    edited January 2012
    PiptheFair wrote:

like the lvl 5 character who can walk into a capital city, declare that he is the real king, tap a bluff check and 3 days later there is a massive riot to depose the ruler and put him n the throne

Things like that at least keep the DM on their toes

Otherwise they'd get lazy

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Pathfinder does nothing that interests me.

except the adventures are apparently very well written. I guess that does interest me, but i don't want to actually play it.

• Options
    I have Strands of Fate, Diaspora, Dresden, Spirit of the Century, Reign, Dark Heresy, NWoD mage vampire and wolfs...

Star Wars Sagas.

like 12 4E books.

Fuck man.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Right now I'm kinda in that same mindset you got back in the early days of the OGL where you'd look at a given game style or setting and just want to somehow cram it into the D20 rules.

Except with FATE, and unlike D20, it actually works more often than not.
    SKR is one of the lizard people

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    PiptheFair wrote:

Is he the moon?

edit fuck
    SKR liked Duke Nukem Forever

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

except the adventures are apparently very well written. I guess that does interest me, but i don't want to actually play it.

the adventure paths are all super duper awesome, but the earlier ones will bend you over and fuck you raw

• Options
    3.5 fo lyfe

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Melding wrote:

the adventure paths are all super duper awesome, but the earlier ones will bend you over and fuck you raw

Luckily i was pretty good at breaking the mechanics of the game making some kind of superman thus negating challenge in combat.

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:

Things like that at least keep the DM on their toes

Otherwise they'd get lazy

the ridiculous thing is that in pathfinder society(the official thing like living greyhawk) the character is entirely legal

it sucks ass in combat but ahahah, who the fuck cares

• Options
    I will give pathfinder props for having excellent campaigns.

I have a few from paizo.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote:
    the ridiculous thing is that in pathfinder society(the official thing like living greyhawk) the character is entirely legal

That sure is an... interesting interpretation of the rules

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:

That sure is an... interesting interpretation of the rules

what do you mean by this?

• Options
    ...what do you think I mean by it

I don't really know what Pathfinder Society or Living Greyhawk is so I'm sorry if thinking rules are batshit insane is some kind of unmentionable slight

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    ...what do you think I mean by it

I don't really know what Pathfinder Society or Living Greyhawk is so I'm sorry if thinking rules are batshit insane is some kind of unmentionable slight

I wasn't being glib, I seriously didn't know what you meant

but, PFS is the "official" thing

it's run by paizo themselves, and you make a character and level it through officially sanctioned mods and get items and stuff via certifications

it's not like a home run thing, there is a clearly defined set of rules on what is allowed/not allowed

• Options
    Maybe interpretation wasn't the best choice of word but that's pretty much what I pictured, yes

Officially batshit

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Next week my character dies in our weekly 4e game. This is how we've decided to do the hand-off for when I start DMing at the start of February.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    have any of you dudes ever heard of darwin's world

that is, hands-down, my favorite P&P game ever, but almost nobody anywhere plays it. i used to run campaigns with some friends, but they all sorta went their seperate ways (prison, college, wherever jerks go when you stop hanging with them)

it's super cool though and i really dig it

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I played a game called Small World the other week

sw_home_picture1.jpg

It was incredibly fun! World conquering game where everything is just based on the number of troops you have, no need for dice rolls (well, one die roll per turn, but it's not very important). Each player chooses a stereotypical fantasy race with their own special ability, and take turns conquering territories. Then, when that race has spread itself too thin, you say it "goes into decline", and keep all those territories you conquered, but enter the board with a fresh supply of a new race's armies with a different special ability, but you still get victory points for the declining race's territories.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Small world is boss.

Also, I have never played pathfinder.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Thinking about doing some Historical wargaming.

Like DBA or warhammer ancients or Fields of Glory.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:

I can attest to Jade Regent being pretty neat.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    So one of my players is seriously considering switching characters.

He currently plays a "warforged" Hybrid Fighter|Battlemind. I use the quotes because he's actually an intelligent docent that is docked into a "forge drone" and uses it as a body. He plays the character basically like an artificial intelligence, relying on what his programming has to say about things before making decisions. He's decided that he doesn't really feel like the character is what he wanted it to be, and isn't sure if he's all that interested in exploring the idea of a machine learning how to feel things.

So he wants to change to a Genasi hybrid cavalier|wizard.

I am utterly convinced that all that happened was he found a new shiny and wants to try out something new. I convinced him to let it wait a few weeks, because we're getting ready to swap some characters around when the current DM goes back to playing her paladin and my warlord dies so that I can DM. That will heavily alter the make-up of the party, so hopefully he'll find the new dynamic to his liking.

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    What is this

I love this

• Options
    There's a whole set of those. They're pretty good.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    wow, that's a pretty big goblin dong

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote:
    wow, that's a pretty big goblin dong

just like real life

• Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Picked up Betrayal at House on the Hill and Strain for my friend's birthday and I'm super excited to play them.

Board games: it's pretty much like buying a gift for yourself.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hmm I don't know about DnD 5th edition. Yet I can't wait for details.

• Options
    gtrmp wrote:
    DmWZE.png

is this from a game? Because I would buy it. I would buy it very much.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote:
    Hmm I don't know about DnD 5th edition. Yet I can't wait for details.

This is basically my sentiment. Although I am curiously combing over the articles that Mearls and Cook have written over the past several months, trying to see if I can pick out anything obvious.

I have a feeling they're going to go back toward meta-classes (what class has become with Essentials and sub-classes). Warrior, Arcanist, and so on. I think you could set up between 6-10 class groups, and fit all of the current class/sub-classes into them.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote:
    is this from a game? Because I would buy it. I would buy it very much.

no, the artist did an advent calendar with a different 4e-style monster each day (sadly, not all of them are Bowie). it's part of the "D&D For Kids" series on his blog.

• Options
    Are meta-Classes like, roles and you pick abilities and arrange stats based on how you want to fit the role? Like talents in an MMO? Warrior can deal damage, or be a tank, or ranged? That sort of thing? I think that would be pretty cool, and would allow for more character customization in the end. I liked the idea of changing a power source to change your class. Sure this mage has the same spells as my psionist, but I use my mind. Mind Missiles and Bigby's Crushing MIND Fist

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Anybody ever play Pendragon?

My cousin's been running games of it for a friend of his recovering from cancer, and its a lot of fun to basically take D&D and merge it with Arthurian legend. A word of warning: don't end up in Avalon unless you want to end up with some bastard children as a result (I still can't get a male heir, failing those childbirth rolls every year)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
This discussion has been closed.