As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Anze made a new campaign for us last night. So I made a new character. A bard who speaks in haikus.

It makes vicious mockery a lot of fun.

'Shoulders like old potatoes"

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It looks like CF might start organizing a Legend RPG game. If anybody here got the book and is interested.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Well, the Legend pdf is free, is it not?

Should still donate, though. It's for Child's Play, after all.

Yes you absolutely should donate.

Also I think Legend has rules for hex-based play.

Awesome.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    what's great about hexes?

• MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    They taste delicious.

Also, Legend's Creative Lead is over in the CF thread answering questions.

Marshmallow on
  • Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here tried the essentials melee-ranger dude? One of my players grabbed this class because he's new to D&D and wanted something simple, and this is - right out of the wrapper - by far the most ridiculous striker I've come across. At level 11, he has +21 to hit, can attack reflex or AC, and his minimum damage with an at-will power is more than our avenger's maximum damage. With a damage buff from our wizard, he popped an action point and racked up 118 damage in two at-will powers.

In related news, trying to figure out how to challenge my party, I threw a roper and a bunch of troglodytes at the level 11 party. Gave the troglodytes +1 to hit and turned their <recharge 3+> power into an at-will. So, one of the harder encounters they would encounter in a dungeon, buffed significantly. They mowed through the encounter without anyone getting bloodied, and used only a handful of healing surges in the process. Does 4e's balance normally snap completely in half around these levels?

it sounds like your avenger is doing it wrong.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Sounds like somebody is doing something wrong. What are the specific attacks?

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    I guess it's worth mentioning that the avenger uses a brutal 2 2d4 weapon, so the spread on his damage is basically nil.

edited January 2012
    Was the Scout's "two at-will powers" factoring in the off-hand attack and Power Strike? Because if so that's a lot more than just two at-will powers.

It should be noted that both Dual Weapon Strike and Power Strike can only be used once per round/turn, respectively.

Tox on
    well, if the avenger is concerned about their damage they should get a weapon that does damage.

on a two handed weapon?

Not really. (it's liekly falchion with a feat that allows you to reroll any damage die 2 or under)

edited January 2012
    Wait what the fuck? 2d4 Brutal 2? What weapon is this?

That means his [w] damage range is 6-8. That's fairly decent, if definitively average.

Tox on
    Sounds like somebody is doing something wrong. What are the specific attacks?

Assuming he gets a modifier from a stance, which happens any time he attacks a bloodied enemy or charges an enemy or attacks an enemy with no other enemies adjacent:

Melee basic attack, +21 vs. AC or Reflex, 1d8+17 damage
    followed up by Dual Weapon Attack, +21 vs. AC or Reflex, 1d6+15 damage
    he can also Power Strike for an extra 1d8 twice per encounter.

Our wizard gives him +6 to damage rolls for one turn, and an extra 5 damage (iirc) when he uses an action point, making things even more ridiculous.

Why are Dual Weapon Attack and Power Strike only usable once per round? They're Free Action and No Action respectively, so the one-interrupt clause doesn't kick in.

edited January 2012
    Airking850 wrote:
    Why are Dual Weapon Attack and Power Strike only usable once per round? They're Free Action and No Action respectively, so the one-interrupt clause doesn't kick in.

Because the rules say they are.

DWA says right in the power it can only be used once per round. When you start getting more uses of Power Strike, it tells you you can use it one additional time per encounter, but still only once per turn.

Also you're thinking of the one free-action-attack-per-turn limit, as neither power is an Interrupt. Power Strike, however, is not a free action anymore, it's a no action, otherwise you wouldn't be able to use both in the same turn.

Tox on
    I somehow did not read that on DWA. That alleviates some of the insanity, I guess.

Now I need to figure out how our swordmage marks everything in a ten-mile radius and explodes anyone who tries not to attack him

Airking850 wrote:
    I somehow did not read that on DWA. That alleviates some of the insanity, I guess.

Now I need to figure out how our swordmage marks everything in a ten-mile radius and explodes anyone who tries not to attack him

He's probably using a class power to mass-mark, but you should reread his Aegis power, because his punishment, IIRC, is an Immediate action, meaning once-per-round.

i thought the off hand striek was once a turn, and power strike is once per round.

there are many turns in a round. you have one turn per round.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What is the difference between a turn and a round?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote:

everyone has a turn in a single round

i was so early on the reply i made it before the post was made.

I am the best time traveller.

That is what I thought, thanks guys.

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    Back in 2 edition and eairler a turn was a term for 10 rounds. A round was 6 seconds of in-setting time during which everyone would have their actions in a round.

Blake T wrote:

Also, specific to this situation, you get one Opportunity Action (usually an Opportunity Attack) per turn, but one Immediate Action (either an Interrupt or Reaction) per round.

Although, at the pub, you take turns at buying rounds!

Crazy!

Tox wrote:
    Airking850 wrote:

He's probably using a class power to mass-mark, but you should reread his Aegis power, because his punishment, IIRC, is an Immediate action, meaning once-per-round.

Even only being used once per turn, the punishment is so powerful (resist 15 from the attack, 15 damage to the attacker, 15 temps on the swordmage) that it sets up this really silly situation whereby either all the enemies need to attack the swordmage, or all the enemies need to not attack the swordmage, or else they end up doing more damage to themselves than to anything else. If the party ensures that this can't happen, then they can get through most encounters taking hardly any damage.

Airking850 wrote:
    Tox wrote:
    Airking850 wrote:

Even only being used once per turn, the punishment is so powerful (resist 15 from the attack, 15 damage to the attacker, 15 temps on the swordmage) that it sets up this really silly situation whereby either all the enemies need to attack the swordmage, or all the enemies need to not attack the swordmage, or else they end up doing more damage to themselves than to anything else. If the party ensures that this can't happen, then they can get through most encounters taking hardly any damage.

What level is the group, again?

That does seem excessive. Specifically that he can both lower damage and deal damage, and gain temps on top of it. Do you know what power(s)/feat(s) he's using to accomplish this?

Just a small point of order, by the way, THPs never stack, so if he'll never start his turn with more than 15 THP.

The temps are from Improved Silver Shield (Coronal Guard paragon path), the resist is from Aegis of Shielding, and the 15 damage is from a daily so I guess that's not always there.

Bam!

Aegis of Shielding is an Immediate Interrupt, which means it's usable once per round.

So he can mark everything in the room, and use it whenever it triggers to gain the Shielding reduction, and the THP, but once he uses it, he can't use it again until after the end of his next turn.

Obviously the -2 penalty to attacks for being marked still applies regardless.

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Anzekay wrote:
    Back in 2 edition and eairler a turn was a term for 10 rounds. A round was 6 seconds of in-setting time during which everyone would have their actions in a round.

Back in my day we didn't use these newfangled "squares" to measure battlefield terrain. We used inches dagnabbit, and an inch was three times bigger outside than it was inside! Your movement rate didn't change, though, so you moved three times slower once you were walking on a floor. Did we complain? No! Kids these days have no idea how easy they got it. When I was your age I had to walk through the idol mouth in the Tomb of Horrors every session, and I had to do it in the snow uphill both ways!

gtrmp on
    back in my day we used sticks and hit eachother.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any bright ideas for making Drinkin' Arkham Horror?

My current plan involves a red drink, a blue drink, and two graduated cylinder health bars

But I don't know if I have that many graduated cylinders lying around

• DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Hm. Haven't played enough Arkham Horror to have any ideas...

...but that just makes me think of running a Cthulhu game with shots in place of a sanity mechanic.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    DE?AD wrote:
    Hm. Haven't played enough Arkham Horror to have any ideas...

...but that just makes me think of running a Cthulhu game with shots in place of a sanity mechanic.

Holy Shit, that sounds amazing.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    edited January 2012
    bro, you throw you go (insane and die)

Melding on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean that is effectively what I am doing. Just also doing it for health. One of the problems my friend brought up is that Arkham is a damn long game. We'd need some watery drinks for this.

Maybe I can switch us to Drinkin' Betrayal at House on the Hill.

This discussion has been closed.