As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Grab a big bag of Cheetos and some 'Dew on the way over, it's the [Tabletop Games Thread]

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    books are the real best weapon.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Pen > Sword

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Blind gunslinger > pen > sword

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    Bullseye > Blind Gunslinger > Pen > Sword

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    like, I do not care how many years you trained under hobbit monks to wield the legendary Cal'pha'lon, a dude that trained as long with a bastard sword is going to kill stuff a whole shitload better than you
    Well duh. Monks.

Look can we just agree that the best killer in this scenario is going to be the guy who spent most of his life reading books?

in 3.5 yes

in pathfinder it's summoners(synthesists specifically)

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    like, I do not care how many years you trained under hobbit monks to wield the legendary Cal'pha'lon, a dude that trained as long with a bastard sword is going to kill stuff a whole shitload better than you
    Well duh. Monks.

Look can we just agree that the best killer in this scenario is going to be the guy who spent most of his life reading books?

in 3.5 yes

Yeah, our group's summoner just started down that path and it's looking gross.

Currently though, the dominant force is our Fighter with the Two-Handed Fighter archetype, adding double the strength bonus when she makes a single attack.

My ranger/alchemist exists as our utility class, a smattering of rogue & survival skills, and knowledge checks. Also fire bombs whose max damage is less than the fighter's minimum damage.

But I have a pet infant chupacabra, so there's that.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Well duh. Monks.

in 3.5 yes

Yeah, our group's summoner just started down that path and it's looking gross.

Currently though, the dominant force is our Fighter with the Two-Handed Fighter archetype, adding double the strength bonus when she makes a single attack.

My ranger/alchemist exists as our utility class, a smattering of rogue & survival skills, and knowledge checks. Also fire bombs whose max damage is less than the fighter's minimum damage.

But I have a pet infant chupacabra, so there's that.

two-handed fighters have the highest damage potential without getting into whacky super specific builds that don't come out till like lvl 18 +

but yeah, synthesists are broken beyond belief, I mean, summoners are already powerful

but jesus fuck

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    GenCon-Battle-Foam-Promo-e1336186534108.jpg
    GenCon-Battle-Foam-Promo-4-e1336186522767.jpg
    GenCon-Battle-Foam-Promo-3-e1336186509974.jpg
    GenCon-Battle-Foam-Promo-2-e1336186498242.jpg

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    i have no idea what is going on with those images but i'm slightly interested.

• Options
    Mercs is supposed to be pretty good, from what I hear

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I wonder if those are usable with Qapu Khalqi.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    i did just notice that one gun was a paznerfaust. that's not a panzerfaust. Silly robot.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Haqqislam is still cooler.

• Options
    Solar wrote: »

tex_marshal.jpg

They got some neat stuff

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    It does 1d6+6 total damage in a system where everything currently has around 30 hp and at least 5 damage reduction and usually closer to 10 or more. Every single enemy faced so far uses exclusively natural weapons.

I specifically asked the GM if he could give my character a weapon, since that is sort of a thing my character is supposed to have, being a samurai-type, and having had all his gear stolen in the intro scene. He got a frying pan.

I would have been totally okay with a receiving a frying pan if it actually functioned as a weapon. it could be cool even! Skillet Samurai!

There are a myriad number of ways this situation is wrong, and one of the simplest methods of correcting it would be to just give me the goddamn club stats for my fucking frying pan.

oh well that's just fucking awful

still, I'd just say it's 1d6 nonlethal or 1d6 lethal but you take the improvised weapon penalty

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    i did just notice that one gun was a paznerfaust. that's not a panzerfaust. Silly robot.

Space anime panzerfaust

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »

Space anime panzerfaust

listen man, you can't just name your gun the same as another gun and expect no one to notice.

Yeah, it was kind of a big deal a long time ago, but if you named your scifi gun the "Thompson Submachine gun" and it wasn't a tommy gun it would raise some eyebrows.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    pfft, panzerfaust.

The cool kids use flammenwerfers

They werf flammen.

• Options
    I'll show YOU how to werf flammen.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Werf herders

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Just hit them with a shell from the schwerer gustav.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I think I'd put a frying pan at 1d6 lethal damage.

Cause at the end of the day, getting hit by one will fucking hurt.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I hefted the wrought iron one in my kitchen when I got home

That is a scary motherfucker

Part of me wanted to make a video comparing it to other assorted household weapons

But then I didn't

It probably outweighs every weapon I own combined

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    On the note of improvised weapons.

Its amazing what English hooligans can come up with. Anything from improvised newspaper bludgeons to, in one case, a potato studded with razor blades that was used during a riot against fascists in the 30s.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    Did they thread a rope through it? Because a razor-potatoe-rope-flail sounds amazing.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I'm gonna pimp out the Hero system again, because it has the ability for someone to upgrade a sense to a 'targeting' sense, which means that you can use it in combat. It is the game system for all seasons.

sig.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I believe there are rules to do that in Mutants and Masterminds

There are senses and there are precise senses

Humans, by default, have precise vision and regular everything else

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tex_marshal.jpg

They got some neat stuff

Why yes, I do want an army of robot cowboys.

Thank you for asking, universe.

Edit: Oh, crap, they have WSTE-M5s and N-Strike Mavericks. I think I have found my army if I play this game.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I really need to check out Mutants and Masterminds, just haven't had the chance yet.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    If I'm playing supers, I still go with the Marvel SAGA game from the 90s, because I prefer things to be a little bit looser. But I thoroughly enjoy M&M as well. And I'm very interested in a lot about Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, but the dice pool mechanic is still keeping me at arm's length.

I really like superhero rpgs is what i'm saying i guess

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in AD&D days, I had a player who loved to regale me with tales of Angus McFoo, the half-orc Chef. He was a barbarian who accompanied the party on their adventures, his pack loaded down with pots, skillets, rolling pins. When the fighting broke out, he would duel-wield cooking utensils into combat. He had no skill points in cooking whatsoever, but everyone in the party was too afraid of the clearly mentally unstable bastard who had attached himself uninvited to their party to criticise the meals he prepared.

I'm so glad I only ever DMed a game he played in once. He was the kind of guy who doesn't really know when a joke stopped being funny. Or rather, found it amusing to inflict jokes on other people well past when everyone else was still entertained.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So this is what I have so far for the main continent of Carimera.

The Northwest Kingdom of Quolssau
    * Political Capitol: Polymia
    * Economic Capitol: Letaste
    * Down-trodden City: Macota
    * Dirty, Evil City: Kamyai
    * Rural Cities: Rensburlge, Vuelleb, Kapsone, Notlim, Yapullup

The Eastern Kindgom of Yorkshore
    * Political Capitol: Yorkshore
    * Economic Capitol: Yorkshore
    * Down-trodden City: New Shoresline
    * Rural Cities: Delphia, Morvent, Nocitucen

The Southeastern Kingdom of Orleansia
    * Political Capitol: Dukesburg
    * Economic Capitol: Nabot Gorue
    * Down-trodden City: Layefette
    * Rural Cities: Ardacia,Talanaa, Fenot

The Central Kindgom of Kasana
    * Political Capitol: Kasana
    * Economic Capitol: Kasana
    * Rural Cities: Gobue, Yolctan, Meldale,

The Southern Kingdom of Xatas
    * Political Capitol: Sadall
    * Economic Capitol: Stohoun
    * Down-trodden City: Malao
    * Rural Cities: Gobata, Ercto, Tolfelt

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I went and looked at Mercs I am kind of suprised they use metal minis when everyone else is running away from it for price reasons and others
    Still I might plunk down some cash and try it out

• Options
    I really need to check out Mutants and Masterminds, just haven't had the chance yet.

It's actually all online!

Right here!

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular

It's actually all online!

Right here!

well i know what i'm doing tonight

whatever happened to that game you were going to run?

• Options
    What, of M&M?

I forgot about it, to be honest

haha

I'll get out my notes and go over them today, come back to it. My last exams are in the next couple of weeks, and once I've got them done we can begin.

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    that sounds pretty cool man i am reading through the website now and getting kind of keen

it seems i can put all my points into being a billionaire

maybe i'll do that and have the greatest power of all

• Options
    Working on atlasing out this dumb idea, coming up short for names, mostly for cities. Clever references are, of course, the name of the game. Any help would be appreciated. Here's what I have so far:

The Kingdom of Cartney- Human, ruled by the Cartney royal family.
    Free Republic of Harristonia- Human, governed by a prime minister. Currently probably MP Humperdink.
    Lennox- Human empire with high elven/eladrin presence. Currently ruled by Empress Ono.
    United Sovereign States of Ringus- Human, capitol of Starrsgrad. Currently, and always, ruled by Tsar Starr. Contains the great dividing wall to the Orcish lands.

Glamdrys- Elven (also Eladrin and Goblin), ruled by the Stardust King. Capitol city Suffragette, with.a goblin undercity/slum called Hunger City.

Unnamed Tieflingish Nation- Capitol Inoculos, not really under any unified government. The islands were originally named Discos, but I am assuming Strummer would have renamed it after he took over. Bonus points if it can have the initials UK.

The Dwarves and the Gnomes both have sovereign kingdoms and capitols as well. The Dragonborn do not have a unified nation, but probably have a number of oasis cities. The Orckind, so far, have no unified nation, although on their borders with USSR there is a sort of free unit called Paradise City.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Unnamed Tieflingish Nation- Capitol Inoculos, not really under any unified government. The islands were originally named Discos, but I am assuming Strummer would have renamed it after he took over. Bonus points if it can have the initials UK.

Best I can think of: Unctuous Knot

jnij103vqi2i.png
This discussion has been closed.