As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Chat]nequa don't live here no mo'

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Woo, did my taxes! Or at least, I did all the parts I know how to do, all the other stuff I don't know if I need to worry about (granted stock and 401(k) stuff with work...stuff that if I were a Responsible Adult I would have paid a lot more attention to, but have gone out of my way to ignore as much as I possibly can. I'm kinda of assuming that since I didn't get any envelopes saying OFFICIAL TAX DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED about either I'm probably mostly in the clear, but I'm going to do some checking around before pulling the trigger here.)

But the point is that I'm reasonably confident that I'm ok spending money on things again, since my unfounded OMG IRS IS GOING TO JACK ME FOR ALL MAH DOLLA DOLLA BILLS paranoia is now mostly dispelled. It's funny, doing income taxes never seems to be the huge burden that it always seems to be built up as.

It might be worth going to a CPA.

Here's one of those interblog things: http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/03/16/tax-prep-costs-how-much-will-it-cost-to-get-your-taxes-done/

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Someone please reassure me that it's okay to tell off a terrible, terrible client that doesn't pay you enough by half and endlessly wants to iterate on shit they've already approved.

I've never actually done it before and it feels weird, like I started a fight with my family.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Someone please reassure me that it's okay to tell off a terrible, terrible client that doesn't pay you enough by half and endlessly wants to iterate on shit they've already approved.

I've never actually done it before and it feels weird, like I started a fight with my family.

It's way more than okay Squid. If you don't tell off a terrible client, especially one that pays badly, they'll continue to walk all over you. In fact, three cheers for telling them off! Hip hip, Hoooray!... and I'm too lazy to do the other two.

Prospicience on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Hip hip, hooray!

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Siegfried wrote: »
    Hip hip, hooray!

Sieg, could you tell me how you got your avatar animated? I haven't seem to be able to fix mine ever since we switched to these Vanilla forums.. Re-uploaded and everything...

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Hip hip, hooray!

Sieg, could you tell me how you got your avatar animated? I haven't seem to be able to fix mine ever since we switched to these Vanilla forums.. Re-uploaded and everything...

I think the trick is it has to be 80x80, because Vanilla resizer doesn't preserve animation.

OrokosPA.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Pretty bad ass CG animated short film.

http://thechaseshortfilm.com/

My friend starting this thing that is really awesome: http://unstockablephotos.tumblr.com/
    Infidel wrote:
    Hip hip, hooray!

I think the trick is it has to be 80x80, because Vanilla resizer doesn't preserve animation.
    This.

Kochikens wrote:
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys!

Also, that unstockable blog is a great idea. I've often wondered about certain stock pics myself.

• FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSCFQcR08E

Every time I see a trailer for a game like this, I usually start out thinking "huh, this is actually pretty cool. It's simple, but it's a neat treatment of how people react in crisis--"

And then a toggle switch flips in my head and I become cognizant that

it's still a video about giant space squids shooting lasers at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Fugitive on
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Not lasers, Fug. Liquid metal moving at near-relativistic speeds jeez

Rack city.

Kochikens wrote:
    edited February 2012
    Spectre-x wrote: »

My reaction to this post at 0:12

ALSO

That is not how I would probably react to invading space squids and robot zombies? Those are the sort of things that, when they happen? You aren't going to be blinking for at least 12 hours because you don't want to miss even a second of it.

Unless the guy just could not believe they were being invaded by giant robot cephalopods.

"Wow, first there's a race composed entirely of hot blue women, and now giant space squids are blowing up our landmarks. The universe is retarded."

Fugitive on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This
    Fugitive wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »

My reaction to this post at 0:12

ALSO

That is not how I would probably react to invading space squids and robot zombies? Those are the sort of things that, when they happen? You aren't going to be blinking for at least 12 hours because you don't want to miss even a second of it.

Unless the guy just could not believe they were being invaded by giant robot cephalopods.

"Wow, first there's a race composed entirely of hot blue women, and now giant space squids are blowing up our landmarks. The universe is retarded."

This is a pretty good summary of why trying to prove the whole "games as art" argument is really hard. It's pretty tough to receive the same integrity and respect of other mediums like movies, book and television when every single example of your medium revolves around b-grade blockbuster plot-lines and Michael Bay-level characterization of the opposite sex.

But hey, there's Shadow of the Colossus and ICO! Never get tired of hearing that to crutch up an argument!

Godfather on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So would you say B-grade blockbuster plot line Michael Bay movies aren't art?

That's a legitimate question.

Kochikens on
    And almost on cue, Kochikens arrives on the scene ahaha

what is that supposed to mean

I dunno, you and I always seem to trade barbs for some reason, so it's gotten to a point where I kinda expect you to crawl out the woodwork to debate with me or something.

I don't get into internet debates. I just wanted to hear your reasoning and explanation for your statement. I guess I'll go crawl back into my hole?

Well whatever it was i'm glad it's over :)

ahaha yup, called that one!

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Speaking of the vidya games, is anyone here following Guild Wars 2 at all? Because I'm super pumped to play it already.

Flay on
    What even just happened?

Cats in sweaters.

Okay phew

Thought I missed something.

enhanced-buzz-12945-1286485621-47.jpg

nope

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm kinda sad. People keep getting fired from my company. One of my co-workers might be on the chopping block this week. Also, I keep having these horrible visions of working at the print shop at Office Max for minimum wage.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    All I can say is that I am super excited to play ME3. Space squids are cool.

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    All I can say is that I am super excited to play ME3. Space squids are cool.

Yeah this.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    re: Shadow and the Collossus: "Despite the games somewhat artsy cred" they will make it a "fantasy tentpole" movie like lord of the rings... yeah.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7dlmKvpfYs

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Guys...

On a lighter note.

I'd like you all to meet Garrus Vakarian Brock, the newest member of my family.

(spoiler'ed for bigness)
    kjhc3mkj:tw1

are YOU on the beer list?
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    how much is it keep the change

hi doggie

• lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    Well my gig this weekend was kind of a clusterfuck. No less than three sound people, most of who were not present except during the initial soundcheck. Then they'd bugger off and go drink or something. They were also using a loaner board and didnt know how to work it, so we kept getting TONS of feedback. There ended up being 4 bands instead of 3 that no one new about, so we were asked to chop out 15 minutes of our set at the last minute. Then they changed the order of the bands on us.
    And i still dont know if we actually got paid or not. So unprofessional.

On the good note: we brought 2/3 of the audience that night and the general consensus is that we played well and put on a really good show. So I think it was a win overall? I'm not sure.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    So would you say B-grade blockbuster plot line Michael Bay movies aren't art?

That's a legitimate question.

You can shit in a can and call it art, literally. But I think godfathers point was that it's not art you can respect, sure some of the cg work in transformers are impressive on their own, but cg sequences don't make the movie.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Well my gig this weekend was kind of a clusterfuck. No less than three sound people, most of who were not present except during the initial soundcheck. Then they'd bugger off and go drink or something. They were also using a loaner board and didnt know how to work it, so we kept getting TONS of feedback. There ended up being 4 bands instead of 3 that no one new about, so we were asked to chop out 15 minutes of our set at the last minute. Then they changed the order of the bands on us.
    And i still dont know if we actually got paid or not. So unprofessional.

On the good note: we brought 2/3 of the audience that night and the general consensus is that we played well and put on a really good show. So I think it was a win overall? I'm not sure.

When you're starting out, any fans/ publicity is good and a win.

Sucks that the sound guys were so lackadaisical though.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    Yeah, we'll take it at this point. It just bothers me when I try and be a professional about it and everyone else isnt taking their shit seriously. I can put up with it a certain amount for open mics and stuff, but when people are paying to see the show, they really need to do better.

On a good note, I found out we did get paid, and the manager said he really liked us and wants us to play there again.

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yes I have been following Guildwars 2 and I hope I get a beta key, other than that I just Pre-ordered ME3, I have to go back and finish ME2 the good way and then finish Skyrim and start and finish LA Noire

This discussion has been closed.