As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre-PAX East 2012 Gaming Night - Thursday, April 5, 2012 - Westin Waterfront Hotel

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    I think I'm just gonna do the Thursday game night and not do the PokeCrawl, I just can't drink like I used too. Too much drinking in college makes me adverse to it now. :(

I'm also skipping the crawl (no offense) in favor of this, though I'll be arriving after I did a bit of walking around Boston once the Pre-PAX dinner is done.

Age is slowly creeping up on me. For me it's no more than two glasses of wine else I'll get all kinds of stupid. It's crazy when you think that, back in the day, I could chug anything down like I had a CyberLiver 2000.

LOL...I know how you feel. I am on this medication that if I have more than 2 beers, I am ready to fall asleep.

It's called "Near or over your 40's". There is no cure.

I look back at my 30's as Liver Training for my current drinking technique. What's the use in being an adult if you can't make up for the sobriety of your youth?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    I think I'm just gonna do the Thursday game night and not do the PokeCrawl, I just can't drink like I used too. Too much drinking in college makes me adverse to it now. :(

I'm also skipping the crawl (no offense) in favor of this, though I'll be arriving after I did a bit of walking around Boston once the Pre-PAX dinner is done.

Age is slowly creeping up on me. For me it's no more than two glasses of wine else I'll get all kinds of stupid. It's crazy when you think that, back in the day, I could chug anything down like I had a CyberLiver 2000.

LOL...I know how you feel. I am on this medication that if I have more than 2 beers, I am ready to fall asleep.

It's called "Near or over your 40's". There is no cure.

I look back at my 30's as Liver Training for my current drinking technique. What's the use in being an adult if you can't make up for the sobriety of your youth?

I wasn't sober most of my youth, hah!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I'm on the Metal Gear train, scheduled to get in at 9:10 PM, so as long as we get in before about midnight (hardly a given with Amtrak), I'll probably try to stop by. Although the Pokecrawl could also be fun. Has anyone actually started organizing that, or are we just assuming that it'll happen at some point? I don't see any threads about it...

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    I'm on the Metal Gear train, scheduled to get in at 9:10 PM, so as long as we get in before about midnight (hardly a given with Amtrak), I'll probably try to stop by. Although the Pokecrawl could also be fun. Has anyone actually started organizing that, or are we just assuming that it'll happen at some point? I don't see any threads about it...
    It is being organized, and there will be a post about it, probably late this month.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:

FWIW, the Metal Gear actually got in around 8 last year, despite being scheduled for 9:10, so if that trend continues you'll have plenty of time.

I'm definitely interested, I'll probably bring some games with a high inventory-space-to-player ratio like Bang, 7 Wonders, and Innovation.

• henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    A quick roundup of rules for several of the games mentioned.

Last Night on Earth (pdf)
    Cards Against Humanity
    Pandemic (pdf)
    Munchkin (flash)
    Illuminati (pdf)

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    I would suggest calling the Westin and telling them that we're offering to organize ourselves and herd people to a designated area if they're willing to provide tables and space. See if they'll let us have the space for free in exchange for not mucking up the lobby. I called today and they said we'd need to call 617-532-4600 on a week day and ask for Convention Services.

Our demands:
    Meeting space
    Tables
    A note on a lobby sign directing folks to the spot. (the rooms are under the mezzanine opposite the starbucks entrance)

If they want to make more $ off of things, I'd suggest they have a server who is willing to check in on the room every 15min or so. That person would probably make good tips for low effort that night if they're cooperative.

In exchange we offer:
    Organization on the forums.
    To have a volunteer check the lobby every 15 or 30 minutes to invite uninformed PAX'ers into the game room to free up lobby space.
    To encourage participants to order their food and drinks from the hotel. (we could keep menus on hand if they provide them)

I would help organize, but I'm going to be on the Pub Crawl that night.

edited February 2012
    @macrogeek - The Westin Management is already setting up a space for us. Please read through the earlier posts ;).

I'll be in touch with the manager a little closer to the event to hash out some more details, and will make sure to include the questions that folks have asked here as well, like how they feel about folks bringing in outside drinks, how they want to direct folks to the mezzanine, or anything else that comes up here.

I've already suggested tentcards or trifolds on the tables in lieu of larger signage (which could be expensive and/or invasive); he didn't love the idea but he didn't say no. The fun thing about doing that is that the hotel could include a polite message to the customers with any requests they have, AND they could list out some fun themed gaming drinks or noshies as a weekend special offering.

LexiconGrrl on
  • ZandiieZandiie Registered User new member
    I am brand new to the forums.. so no one will know me, but I'll be there!

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Zandiie wrote:

We will fix that.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    Zandiie wrote:

We will fix that.

Even me too!? I'm relatively new on the forums as well, just started becoming active in the past month or so! I usually end up going with a friend or sister to just roam around with so figured I might as well take the time to get to know new folks who not only go to Boston for this, but Seattle as well!

LinkSmash wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    Zandiie wrote:

We will fix that.

Even me too!? I'm relatively new on the forums as well, just started becoming active in the past month or so! I usually end up going with a friend or sister to just roam around with so figured I might as well take the time to get to know new folks who not only go to Boston for this, but Seattle as well!

Well, I guess we can get to know you too. :P

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:

YES!!!! I'm LinkSmash. I like average length walks mostly to and from my car where I end up driving to Sonic's during their happy hour times because I do enjoy their slushy drinks.... :D!!!!

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Another forum newbie here as well

• nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

YES!!!! I'm LinkSmash. I like average length walks mostly to and from my car where I end up driving to Sonic's during their happy hour times because I do enjoy their slushy drinks.... :D!!!!

I started becoming active on the forums a bit recently as well. Welcome! I'm nataliepi and you should be friends with all of us!

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
    nataliepi wrote:
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

I started becoming active on the forums a bit recently as well. Welcome! I'm nataliepi and you should be friends with all of us!

Yes, together WE SHALL PLAY ALL THE GAMES!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • henry.hargrovehenry.hargrove Registered User regular
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Sonic has happy hour? Oh dear.

• EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but is this going to be something that we have to sign up for ahead of time or will it be alright to just show up?

Emphara on
    signature.png
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Emphara wrote:
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but is this going to be something that we have to sign up for ahead of time or will it be alright to just show up?

Nah, just show up!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    Show up. Play games.

Don't be shy about hanging around a table, or inviting people to play at yours - it's just a bunch of your friends that you haven't met yet.

• EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    Awesome, thanks guys! My group will definitely have to consider this. It sounds like it could be a lot of fun!

signature.png
    Yes, just show up and play some games! Bring one of your favorites to teach others, or just watch people play. It's good times!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    nataliepi wrote:
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

I will most definitely do my best to be friends with all of you!!! There's tons of folks though >.<!

LinkSmash wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Oh hell yes they do! All the drinks are 50% off so I just sit there and chug....then get brain freezes...then do it again...

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    LinkSmash wrote:
    LinkSmash wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Oh hell yes they do! All the drinks are 50% off so I just sit there and chug....then get brain freezes...then do it again...

this. the food is alright... but the cherry limeade is to die for.

...is there a Sonic in Boston? Pre-Pre PAX East Gaming night meetup? haha.
    EDIT: Sadly, the closest one is in Peabody... 12 miles out. le sigh

ottoman673 on
    PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in Axis and Allies? New to PAX, so are there many that play wargames or is mostly the fantasy type games? I have A&A 1942 if there is interest.

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    laivindil wrote:
    Anyone interested in Axis and Allies? New to PAX, so are there many that play wargames or is mostly the fantasy type games? I have A&A 1942 if there is interest.

I don't think you'll have any trouble finding people at PAX to play a mainstream wargame like A&A. If it were something obscure, that takes 100 hours, like Battle of Verdun or whatever, that might be different. If I'm free, I'd probably be up for joining you, but no promises given the uncertain train schedule.

Don't forget, Thursday isn't the only time for boardgames at PAX! There is a HUUUUUUUGE space set aside for any and all tabletop games right beside the Expo area, and it runs from the time PAX opens until 2am.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:
    Don't forget, Thursday isn't the only time for boardgames at PAX! There is a HUUUUUUUGE space set aside for any and all tabletop games right beside the Expo area, and it runs from the time PAX opens until 2am.

That's true, and I'm considering that. Its just that there is so MUCH at PAX I'm not sure if I want to spend 4 hours playing A&A when I'll be missing so many things that I can only do/see at PAX. So a pre/post gaming night is appealing in that regard.

But thanks for the replies, I'll definitely look into bringing down my game to this event if a few are interested in playing. I've had it for a few months and don't really have any friends that are into board games so I'm itching to really dive into it since I've only played twice.

ottoman673 wrote:

Sad day... :( UNLESS we all decide to caravan there...just for cheap drinks... Oh well...

LinkSmash wrote:
    ottoman673 wrote:

Sad day... :( UNLESS we all decide to caravan there...just for cheap drinks... Oh well...

I'd rather get hopped up on caffeine from the Starbucks in the lobby so we have more times for games! :-P

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote:
    LinkSmash wrote:
    ottoman673 wrote:

I'd rather get hopped up on caffeine from the Starbucks in the lobby so we have more times for games! :-P

I'm going to be bouncing off the walls with all the caffeine I plan on consuming. More energy to play ALL games possible!

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    laivindil wrote:
    That's true, and I'm considering that. Its just that there is so MUCH at PAX I'm not sure if I want to spend 4 hours playing A&A when I'll be missing so many things that I can only do/see at PAX. So a pre/post gaming night is appealing in that regard.

In 2010, I pretty much blew off freeplay for the same reason. I wanted to do all the things, and I can play games any old time! But then I found myself really stressed and worn out by PAX, and missing some of the social aspects, and in 2011 I was all about tabletop. And I found that hanging out in tabletop freeplay was awesome...
    - Late at night when most activities are over
    - When you didn't get into the panel you wanted to, and have a little time before the next one
    - After you've stood in line after line and waded your way through the Expo Hall for hours, and just want to rest your feet
    - When your friends are looking for a place to meet up and they're all coming from different places at different times
    - When you've been curious about a new (or new to you) game and want to playtest before buying it
    - When you are itching to play your favorite game(s) and want to find people on the spot eager to play with you

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    laivindil wrote:

In 2010, I pretty much blew off freeplay for the same reason. I wanted to do all the things, and I can play games any old time! But then I found myself really stressed and worn out by PAX, and missing some of the social aspects, and in 2011 I was all about tabletop. And I found that hanging out in tabletop freeplay was awesome...
    - When you didn't get into the panel you wanted to, and have a little time before the next one
    - After you've stood in line after line and waded your way through the Expo Hall for hours, and just want to rest your feet
    - When your friends are looking for a place to meet up and they're all coming from different places at different times
    - When you've been curious about a new (or new to you) game and want to playtest before buying it
    - When you are itching to play your favorite game(s) and want to find people on the spot eager to play with you

agree. it's tempting to just go full blast and do all the things, but making a little time for chilling out in a freeplay area or handheld lounge can go a long long way to keeping you happy and rested and having a great time. it's so nice to slow things down now and then and just relax and appreciate where you are.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I may pop along to this with some games I like to play at the London on Board table top gaming group I belong to. It all depends on me getting into the prePAX dinner which as time goes by is looking increasingly unlikely.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

tvethiopia wrote:
    adastra wrote:

agree. it's tempting to just go full blast and do all the things, but making a little time for chilling out in a freeplay area or handheld lounge can go a long long way to keeping you happy and rested and having a great time. it's so nice to slow things down now and then and just relax and appreciate where you are.

Thanks for the replies. And I have a feeling I will react the same way, with getting tired and wanting to relax for a bit. It was just the thoughts of an excited first timer! :P

kropotkin wrote:
    I may pop along to this with some games I like to play at the London on Board table top gaming group I belong to. It all depends on me getting into the prePAX dinner which as time goes by is looking increasingly unlikely.

This will be going long after the PPD is over, so even if you do go you can come afterwards!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote:

Oh noes! Not coffee! No coffee high! Maybe I'll do the dew. hehe Either way, cannot, cannot, cannot, cannot wait for PAX!!!!

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I am getting into Boston on Thursday afternoon and will be staying in the Westin too. If you guys have a list going, add me too it.

That_Guy wrote:
    I am getting into Boston on Thursday afternoon and will be staying in the Westin too. If you guys have a list going, add me too it.

No list, just show up! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin