As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre-PAX East 2012 Gaming Night - Thursday, April 5, 2012 - Westin Waterfront Hotel

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    No list, just head down to the Mezzanine!

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • VariVari Registered User regular
    Oh this is downright magical. We're getting into Boston late late on Thursday and I was worried that I would be way-to-excited and jittery to sleep and that I would have absolutely nothing to do but bide my time until PAX-morning. Huzzah for bonding with other people who will be as excited as me! ^_^ Looking forward to seeing you all there.

• BluestreakWRXBluestreakWRX Friendly voice in the 'verse BostonRegistered User regular
    I'll be looking forward to some social time at PAX.
    FYI - Sonic isn't within walking distance. You'll need someone with a car and intimate knowledge of the charlie-foxtrot that is Rts 90/93/1 near the convention center.

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Vari wrote:
    Oh this is downright magical. We're getting into Boston late late on Thursday and I was worried that I would be way-to-excited and jittery to sleep and that I would have absolutely nothing to do but bide my time until PAX-morning. Huzzah for bonding with other people who will be as excited as me! ^_^ Looking forward to seeing you all there.

I can NEVER sleep on night before the Con, I always get way too anxious and excited for the first day. This is the perfect way to spend the night!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • rubykavalierrubykavalier pink is the new bacon Registered User regular
    I don't remember who first mentioned Cards Against Humanity, but if that game is going to be played then I am DOWN.

We'll have it all weekend and are staying at the Westin. I think Ottoman673 (the OP) said he was bringing it and there was one other... So there'll be copies floating around. I'm really interested in putting together a couple of rounds at other times during the weekend too.

There's a tabletop twitter feed somewhere for staying on top of game groups (early... can't think... need coffee...) throughout the weekend so stay tuned!

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    The hashtag #ttlfg is commonly how we suggest people find games/players! You can also follow @TT_HQ for information directly from the tabletop department :)

• ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote:
    The hashtag #ttlfg is commonly how we suggest people find games/players! You can also follow @TT_HQ for information directly from the tabletop department :)

Updated the OP to reflect this information. Thanks!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I am going to bring Muchkin Quest with me, unless someone else is. One games takes about 3 hours with a max of 4 players.

I will also be bringing my DSLR to take pictures, so try not to be too annoyed when I am making my rounds. If you see me with a camera, just keep doing what you are doing. The best pictures I have taken are totally spontaneous and un-posed.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote:
    I am going to bring Muchkin Quest with me, unless someone else is. One games takes about 3 hours with a max of 4 players.

I will also be bringing my DSLR to take pictures, so try not to be too annoyed when I am making my rounds. If you see me with a camera, just keep doing what you are doing. The best pictures I have taken are totally spontaneous and un-posed.

i realize you are going for candids, but it's probably a better idea for you to ask before taking photos of anyone you don't know personally.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

i realize you are going for candids, but it's probably a better idea for you to ask before taking photos of anyone you don't know personally.

This. Thanks.

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    My buddy and I are staying at Westin, we'll probably stop by. I don't play many TTGs (other than MTG) so as long as people don't mind teaching i'm in. :D

• malicious nerdmalicious nerd NYRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing Gloom, ZOMBIES!!!, Apples to Apples (why not?), UNO, and my Pokemon cards! :P

PAX East 2012
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Time Off: [x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @maliciousnerd
    Gamertag: Fr3akyxAssAssIn
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    JimmyWild wrote: »
    My buddy and I are staying at Westin, we'll probably stop by. I don't play many TTGs (other than MTG) so as long as people don't mind teaching i'm in. :D

I didn't play many before i came to this event last year, but i learned a few and had a great time. :]

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    JimmyWild wrote: »

I'm sure lots of people will have their Magic decks with them too, plenty of people to play against if you wanted!

I know I'll have my All-Zombie Creatures Deck with me, and I'm always ready to play it. Undefeated in 1 on 1 (granted none of my friends have tournaments decks but still!)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I am going to bring Munchkin Quest with me, unless someone else is. One games takes about 3 hours with a max of 4 players.

The rules for Munchkin Quest are pretty complex and your first game really can take a while if you are not familiar with the rules. If anyone wants to check them out before hand, here is the link
    www.worldofmunchkin.com/munchkinquest/munchkinquest_rules.pdf

If you have played the Munchkin Card Game, Quest shares a many mechanics. MQ is a parody of a DnD game run by an insane DM/GM.

• FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Sadly I don't believe I'll make it for Thursday and won't get the chance to play games with the lot of you, but who knows, maybe more games will be found on other evenings?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote: »
    Sadly I don't believe I'll make it for Thursday and won't get the chance to play games with the lot of you, but who knows, maybe more games will be found on other evenings?

Entirely possible. In fact, I think there's a thread for that.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'll be bringing Gloom, ZOMBIES!!!, Apples to Apples (why not?), UNO, and my Pokemon cards! :P

Oh god I'm so in for Apples to Apples (the drinking game maybe)

And I should totally buy a copy of Candy Land too just for shits.

• klzklz Registered User regular
    I should note that Munchkin Quest has a lot of differences from the card game. Do *NOT* assume cards play the same way in the board game! In other words, assume it is an entirely new game or you may find yourself making mistakes you don't need to make.

If anyone has it, Candyland's evil brother is far more fun to play - Run for Your Life, Candyman! Who wouldn't enjoy destroying the physical representation of an opponent's gingerbread man by tearing off the limbs of the character sheet?

• dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    Anyone have a copy of Super Dungeon Explore they want to bring?

• Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    I've decided that I can make this gaming extravaganza; I have Cards Against Humanity, HexHex XL, Run For Your Life, Candyman!, and a few other games I have not yet decided if I'm bringing. Although, my Cards Against Humanity was printed off of the online PDF, I'm hopeful that I can get an order in when they become available in March.

• MrGone1980MrGone1980 Registered User regular
    Hey I'd love to join this event it sounds like fun. I don't actually do TTG or RPG's really, but I used to play a lot of Paladium games back in the day (Robotech/Macross, Rifts, I even did early demos of Werewolf when I was like 13). If you peoples are cool with teaching a newbie who doesn't post in the forums much I'd love to be a part of this.

I'm getting the pre-Pax jitters!

• cpdavngrcpdavngr Caped Avenger Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    I'd totally be up for this. We're staying at the Colonnade though so as long as we can get transportation back to our hotel, we should be fine. I'm pretty sure there's a shuttle. We'll have a bunch of Fluxx decks, Magic cards and two Sopio decks. :)

PAX East 2012: Time Off [X] 3 Day Pass [X] Plane [ ] Hotel [X]
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'll be making my way over to this from PPD to have some fun gaming!! I'll also bring along the challenge coins for people to pick up so let me know if you want to meet up and get yours from me.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • DominoDomino Keizen Mikazuki New York, NYRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a copy of Super Dungeon Explore they want to bring?

This would be wonderful to have there that night, but sadly I'm gonna have to suggest the same thing as I don't want to commission $600+ right now to get the whole thing painted! (plus I don't have the game right now, just the sorcerer that I painted last year :3)

tFh5HdJ.png
  • OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I think I'll be there with some friends a little later. I'll bring Red November (10 player co-op game) and a card game that I just got from a kickstarter called Miskatonic School for Girls. Maybe some other stuff if I can fir it in the luggage. Would anyone be interested in a very large game of Werewolf?

Also, I'm staying at the Seaport.

OccamsRZR on
  • AmycusAmycus Registered User regular
    I'm going to talk to a friend of mine about this. We're staying at the Renaissance but if we don't get in the PokeCrawl we may just do something like this instead. It'd be alot of fun. We could bring some D&D board games and the Penny Arcade board games at least.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Were in! I think we are only doing pre-pax dinner (maybe pokecrawl). How late was everyone gaming last year?
    ishtra wrote:
    We have Dominion (classic, intrigue), Catan (made it out of cookies at a previous event - will bring just classic this time ^_~), Blokus (anyone??).

Catan AND Blokus? Yes please! Blokus is by far one of my fav games.

Sorry I totally forgot to check back in on this :P and OMG Love the blokus. Original and triangles on board. So glad we're driving, so we can carry all this stuff :)

@Dgeorge318 Love HexHex!! Got it at last Pax East - such a great get from the freeplay!

We're doing the pokecrawl, but since i don't intend to die, I hope to play with everyone when we get back to the hotel :)

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • AmycusAmycus Registered User regular
    Slight change of plans, we actually switched to the Westin Hotel (yay for getting lucky on a travel site). Definitely will show up for some prePAX gaming, I'd like to meet new people and learn some games this year.

OccamsRZR wrote: »
    I think I'll be there with some friends a little later. I'll bring Red November (10 player co-op game) and a card game that I just got from a kickstarter called Miskatonic School for Girls. Maybe some other stuff if I can fir it in the luggage. Would anyone be interested in a very large game of Werewolf?

Also, I'm staying at the Seaport.

You got your copy of Miskatonic School for Girls? I live 30 minutes from the developers and my copy's not here yet! :-(

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    You got your copy of Miskatonic School for Girls? I live 30 minutes from the developers and my copy's not here yet! :-(

Maybe they're doing rolling shipping or something? I'm sure you'll get it soon!

edited March 2012
    OccamsRZR wrote: »
    Chorazin wrote: »

Maybe they're doing rolling shipping or something? I'm sure you'll get it soon!

My friend who lives 10 minutes from me got his today, mine should be waiting for me at home. :)

Edit: Got it, it's really well done! Plus seeing my name on the box is crazy cool.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    I'm going to be taking the train up, so I won't have much room for boxes. I'll see what I can manage, however.

In terms of card games, I have:

- Resident Evil Deck-Building Card Game
    - Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil
    - Ninja Burger

Those are the most likely to be portable, and the first two seem appropriate. My friends and I have had a lot of fun with ResiEvil and Penny Arcade, and I've already got ResiEvil's decks split up by rubber bands. So I'll probably bring that with me.

I'll be rolling into town about 6:30pm, so I look forward to seeing you folks around 7:30-8pm.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I'd love to try some of these games you guys are mentioning. I'll be out drinking though. Guess I'll just hope to try some over the weekend :)

HI3789R.png
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I would love to try some of these games, and will be back at the Westing following the PPD or slightly after. Unfortunately, don't have much to bring aside from my Magic decks partially due to flying.

I would love to try some of these games, and will be back at the Westing following the PPD or slightly after. Unfortunately, don't have much to bring aside from my Magic decks partially due to flying.

That's fine, that's we're bringing the games for people to play! :)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    I'd love to try some of these games you guys are mentioning. I'll be out drinking though. Guess I'll just hope to try some over the weekend :)

I'm sure many of them will make appearances in tabletop, when you get a break from Cookie Brigading!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited March 2012
    I'm gonna contact the Westin Manager with some specialty gamer-themed drink suggestions for the gamers in the lobby over the weekend. Anbody have ideas?

This List is Not Definitive
    BlackBriar Mead (Skyrim): Spiced or Plain Mead
    Velvet Lachance (Skyrim): Blackberry juice, Port, Honey, Chipotle
    Blackadder's Bowel Buster (Blackadder): um... beer.
    Beer Milkshakes (Red Dwarf): beer & ice cream!

more ideas...?

LexiconGrrl on
  • GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    The Drunken Moogle is basically all they'll need. Just tell them to hit that up and see what they can work with. You can break them down by popular franchise as well.

Resident Evil has some of my favorite to look at.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off