As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre-PAX East 2012 Gaming Night - Thursday, April 5, 2012 - Westin Waterfront Hotel

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Personally, I shy away from "themed" cocktails, because usually they taste awful. But, if you do suggest some options for them, I'd bear in mind that they probably won't be interested in stocking much special stuff (like blackberry juice or mead), so you should probably focus on ingredients that they're likely to already have. But yeah, the Drunken Moogle looks like a good resource for ideas.

The Wall Street Journal used to have a regular cocktail column, and they did a great article one time on how to create good custom cocktails. I advise checking it out.

My all time favorite, though it's comic rather than videogame derived, was the Rorschach cocktail: 2 oz bourbon, 1 ice cube, no compromises!

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Listen to the wise Koala, themed drinks are usually just awful. They might be more inclined to just rename regular cocktails with gaming names for the weekend instead, especially since it looks like they might actually have a decent bar. Just for an example a tequila slammer could be sold as a turtle stomp or something like that. If I were you I would try to think of traditional drinks that go well with gaming (a few sipping drinks for more strategic games, a few quick drinks for ccgs etc) then come up with game names for them instead.

Rhiley on
    2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    This was so much fun last year! I will bring Dominion, Munchkin, and the PA Game(Gamers v Evil)!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Seems like lots of people are bringing the PA DGB, so I'll leave my copy at home. Looks like I'll be bringing Miskatonic School for Girls, Kittens in a Blender, Grimoire, and maybe something else.

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rhiley wrote: »
    Listen to the wise Koala, themed drinks are usually just awful. They might be more inclined to just rename regular cocktails with gaming names for the weekend instead, especially since it looks like they might actually have a decent bar. Just for an example a tequila slammer could be sold as a turtle stomp or something like that. If I were you I would try to think of traditional drinks that go well with gaming (a few sipping drinks for more strategic games, a few quick drinks for ccgs etc) then come up with game names for them instead.

Good points, @koalabro2 & @rhiley. 'Theme' could mean a name or a recipe - either works. I'll definitely check out Drunken Moogle!

Still collecting ideas though - the hotel is setting up a special area for us this year, and although we're not obligated to order from the bar, anything that will encourage folks to do so will go a ways toward making both parties happy with the arrangement.

(Though just for the record, you would totally drink my beer milkshakes)

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Just for specification, the Mezzanine will basically be a sort of designated PAXers gathering section, yes? Not just limited to Thursday night?

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    Just for specification, the Mezzanine will basically be a sort of designated PAXers gathering section, yes? Not just limited to Thursday night?

Well some of the area is tables for the actual bars/restaurants for the hotel. People will be getting together in the hotel all weekend, no doubt, but it's not all just "sit down and chill" area.

• RyosenRyosen Registered User regular
    Excited to hear about this. I'll be coming in around noon on Thursday. I saw someone mention Fluxx above. I have all of the variants (except for Eco). I usually carry a deck with me on trips. Any requests?

• RhileyRhiley Registered User regular

That is true, one of the brewpubs around here does a porter milkshake and it is awesome.

2013 Prime Omeganaut
  • VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    I'm down for this. Each PAX, I'm always like "omg! I want to play board games!" when I walk past, but either always too tired or too messy. However, I will make plans to hang out for a bit. I'll be there late though (maybe 9:30ish).

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • OccamsRZROccamsRZR BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Seems like lots of people are bringing the PA DGB, so I'll leave my copy at home. Looks like I'll be bringing Miskatonic School for Girls, Kittens in a Blender, Grimoire, and maybe something else.

I had to check out Kittens in a Blender on BGG. That looks hilarious. I think I might see if I can get a copy before PAX. It looks like a great game to play in the lines.

Old Chub from Oskar Blues + coconut ice cream = HEAVEN IN YO MOUF

• TeknoMonkeyTeknoMonkey Registered User regular
    Hiya folks. I'll try bringing Zombie Dice and Tanto Cuore so we can try it out. 2 more weeks everybody :). Hope to see you there.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    My squad of 4(including myself) have confirmed that we will be attending!!! :) Also bringing Zombie Dice!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    I'm getting more and more excited for this event the closer we get to PAX! Glad to see so many people are interested, and bringing games to play. Looking forward to seeing all of you in 13 days!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
    Hiya folks. I'll try bringing Zombie Dice and Tanto Cuore so we can try it out. 2 more weeks everybody :). Hope to see you there.

I heart me that damn sexy maid game! Do you have the full art promo cards thy sell at the BGG store?

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • TeknoMonkeyTeknoMonkey Registered User regular
    Chorazin wrote: »

I heart me that damn sexy maid game! Do you have the full art promo cards thy sell at the BGG store?

Cool, hope to try the game out with a full team at PAX East and get the expansion while I'm at it. I think I got the promo cards while I was at PAX prime last year. I'll have to check. But look forward to seeing you and the rest of the folks soon.

• mcfaddassmcfaddass Registered User new member
    Good points, @koalabro2 & @rhiley. 'Theme' could mean a name or a recipe - either works. I'll definitely check out Drunken Moogle!

Still collecting ideas though - the hotel is setting up a special area for us this year, and although we're not obligated to order from the bar, anything that will encourage folks to do so will go a ways toward making both parties happy with the arrangement.

Here's a couple ideas off the top of my head:
    - Dead Island Iced Tea (Long Island with grenadine or cranberry instead of coke ... great companion for a game of Zombie Dice.)
    - A crowbar (Essentially a screwdriver, or you could make it with orange pop if you wanted it to be different ... for that strong, silent scientist in you.)

As for games, I'll bring along Bohnanza, Munchkin Booty, and The Resistence. I'll also try to shrink down two of these three, Wits & Wagers, Balderdash, or Dixit, into a smaller bag more conducive for airline travel.

Staying at the Seaport but I'll walk over to The Westin if there isn't a decent crowd. This'll be my first PAX so I'm not sure what to expect.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    there are so many people bringing interesting games i want to check out, i think i may wind up just sipping a cocktail and watching others so i can see as many games in action as possible. love that this event is in the hotel and just steps from my room! pajama pax might have to happen.

i'm totally in OMGPAXISGOINGTOBEAMAZING mode right now, so feel free to ignore me.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    i'm totally in OMGPAXISGOINGTOBEAMAZING mode right now, so feel free to ignore me.

I feel you. I think i've been on the forums more in the last week than I have... ever? Excited.

there are so many people bringing interesting games i want to check out, i think i may wind up just sipping a cocktail and watching others so i can see as many games in action as possible. love that this event is in the hotel and just steps from my room! pajama pax might have to happen.

Oh no young lady, you'll be playing games! I'm counting on you for a game of Kittens in a Blender and Miskatonic School for Girls!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    PAX is officially "Next Week". I am beyond excited.

To anyone who might be interested in splitting a cab from the airport to the hotel; My flight gets in at around 2pm on Thursday. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

i read this and went 'no way, you're exaggerating.' then i checked a calendar. yeesh!!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    That_Guy wrote: »

To anyone who might be interested in splitting a cab from the airport to the hotel; My flight gets in at around 2pm on Thursday. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

You could take the Silver Line from the Airport to the World Trade Center station. [4 minute walk from the BCEC] Much cheaper, 27 minute ride. Even comes equipped with luggage racks! That's how i got to South Station last year.

• sjkellyfettisjkellyfetti Registered User new member
    The Seaport lobby was a nice scene last year on Thursday night - a whole bunch of gaming right outside the bar and restaurant area, plus more room at tables and couches upstairs in the mezzanine that wasn't being fully utilized. I got in some Thunderstone and Dominion that night, and my group of friends ran Mansions of Madness in there Friday and Saturday nights as I hit up the concerts. We're staying there again and I plan on setting up base camp in there again for Thursday night after dinner. If the Westin is too busy, do stop over - we're just a couple of blocks away.

• dan.blancharddan.blanchard Registered User regular
    My friends and I will be bringing (at least) 7 Wonders, Small World, Power Grid, and Race For The Galaxy. Oh, and Pirate Fluxx and Zombie Dice.

• MoociferMoocifer Artsy Broad Registered User regular

Yep, I've officially graduated to that myself. I've gotten to the internal spaz point and I'm SOEXCITEDHOLYSHIT. Ahem.

I can't believe I'm staying at the Westin this year. This is beyond perfect. I can't wait to meet people and play new games! ^^

PAX East 2014!!!1!one
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Travel: [ x] // Time Off: [ x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @amysophie
    Twitter: amysophie
    Gamertag/Steam: Vixen Valentine
    I keep feeling like PAX East should be the end of this week, but noooo. Got a whole other week to go.

I hope I'm busy at work, otherwise the days will be tortuously slow.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    My friends and I will be bringing (at least) 7 Wonders, Small World, Power Grid, and Race For The Galaxy. Oh, and Pirate Fluxx and Zombie Dice.

Someone either lives in Boston and has a car or you just have a ton of room in luggage for it. Either way, I love you for it because I love all those games.

• KazamagdKazamagd Registered User regular
    Just to update my previous post. I now have everything for MahJong (4 Cards from 2009, tiles, holders) and will have them for the pre-PAX gaming at the Westin. So this is a go at least for that part of the weekend as long as we can get a table.

PAX EAST 2014 Status: [x] 3-Day Pass [x] Hotel [x] Travel Plans [ ] Waiting Patiently
  • KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Just for reference sake, I will have a 4th edition copy of Larry Bond's Harpoon for next year.

It takes a while to learn :(

JfqWFk8.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Kazamagd wrote: »
    Just to update my previous post. I now have everything for MahJong (4 Cards from 2009, tiles, holders) and will have them for the pre-PAX gaming at the Westin. So this is a go at least for that part of the weekend as long as we can get a table.

Yay! So excited to play. We will be over after pre-PAX dinner.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    So doing a bit of the Pokecrawl then attending this should be fine right? Drunken board gaming is something I haven't done in a long time. Please somebody bring Scrabble and/or Pictionary!

LinkSmash wrote: »
    So doing a bit of the Pokecrawl then attending this should be fine right? Drunken board gaming is something I haven't done in a long time. Please somebody bring Scrabble and/or Pictionary!

What's Scrabble? Is it a deck-building card game or a dungeon crawling co-op board game?

[/troll]

That's not a bad suggestion, though, in case there's anyone that doesn't really do the more obscure/niche board/card games.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular

What's Scrabble? Is it a deck-building card game or a dungeon crawling co-op board game?

[/troll]

That's not a bad suggestion, though, in case there's anyone that doesn't really do the more obscure/niche board/card games.

Them's fightin' words mister!

(Not trying to start a thing, just poking fun :P)

• FacelesscogFacelesscog Registered User regular
    I plan on being at the game night off and on throughout the night as a representative of the Cookie Brigade. I'll have cookies/treats available and will be taking donations for Child's Play. I should be fairly easy to recognize, I believe I'm the only Cyborg in service to the Brigade. :-) (I'm a bilateral below knee amputee, who will be in my wheelchair most of the time.)

Of course!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I plan on being at the game night off and on throughout the night as a representative of the Cookie Brigade. I'll have cookies/treats available and will be taking donations for Child's Play. I should be fairly easy to recognize, I believe I'm the only Cyborg in service to the Brigade. :-) (I'm a bilateral below knee amputee, who will be in my wheelchair most of the time.)

YES!!! Games, drinking, AND cookies. This night is going to be perfect!

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • KailKail Keeper of Awesomeness WMASSRegistered User regular
    Íll see ya'll there!

PAXEast 2013 Status - [] 3-day badge [] Hotel [] Challenge Coin
    VP of 5x5Servers.com
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular

[/troll]

Uh.. Last time I played scrabble we made it into the most devastating drinking game known to man due to us having magnificent vocabularies that span the most voluminous of words.. In essence, we trolled ourselves to unconsciousness with liquor and knowledge. It was epic. And I never want to do it again.

I also will not be at this event due to drinking myself stupid at the pokecrawl... so don't mind me.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.