As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Pre-PAX East 2012 Gaming Night - Thursday, April 5, 2012 - Westin Waterfront Hotel

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So.
    Frikkin'.
    Excited.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    I'll be there after the Crawl and probably will spend most nights drinking/gaming in the lobby in my jammies. I'm bringing Zombie Fluxx and 2 games I haven't played - Saboteur and Anomia. I don't know how to play many new TTGs, so I'm really looking forward to having some of y'all teach me!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm packing some games right now. I really want to play some BSG, no clue when though... maybe a brave group post-crawl ;) /me looks at @chaosisorder

• SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    are you kidding? drunken gaming = silly gaming = awesome gaming.

Also, if you're like me, you may want to sober up a little before going to sleep. =)

• gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    I'll try to be there, if I can convince my buddy to come! Sounds awesome!

If I have enough interest, I'll bring Descent - just keep in mind that the game can be around 5 or 6 hours long, especially for new players! But it's a ton of fun, like a streamlined version of D&D where the dungeon master is trying his best to kill you. It's also huge. HUGE. Huge. Yes. We might need two tables.
    Here's what it looks like if you're curious:
    layout.png

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    gerafin wrote: »

If I have enough interest, I'll bring Descent - just keep in mind that the game can be around 5 or 6 hours long, especially for new players! But it's a ton of fun, like a streamlined version of D&D where the dungeon master is trying his best to kill you. It's also huge. HUGE. Huge. Yes. We might need two tables.
    layout.png

That sounds a lot like a more serious version of Munchkin Quest.

That_Guy wrote: »

layout.png

Well, it's a dungeon-crawling RPG with a modular board... so yes, like Munchkin Quest, and like a zillion and a half other board games :)
    Descent stands out because it has 80 plastic figures (some of which I've even painted!) and over 500 other tokens (which I've organized into a divided bead box) and a whole lot of modular tiles and fairly interesting 'quests' defined in the rulebook that have their own enemies, board layouts, loot, etc.

And the rules are fantastic to boot (it's not just about the shinies!). Basically, every turn, the Overlord gets more powerful - so the heroes have to clear the dungeon as quickly as possible, while still collecting enough stuff to survive. It's a great mechanic. I usually play as the Overlord, but when I played as a hero it's positively terrifying to watch the Overlord amass threat tokens in an intimidating pile, and watch him tuck away a card or two for later with a slight grin on his face...

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    @gerafin Descent sounds really cool as do many of these games. Not sure that I will but up for a 5-6 hour game but if I am I would definitely love to give it a shot.

Can't wait for this one of the main reasons I'm coming on Thursday, I hope to try out at least a couple of new games and if anyone is bringing Small World I really want to give that game a shot after watching it on Wil Wheaton's tabletop.

• LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    I have no idea what games to bring! I'm definitely bringing Pandemic and maybe Shadows over Camelot. I just purchased SoC and haven't even played it myself yet! Any interest?

Here's a question - Since there will be a huge crowd, who would be up for a massive game of Ultimate Werewolf? I'll moderate 1-3 games but maybe someone will volunteer to be an assistant moderator for a game or two since I don't think I've actually "participated" in a game - ever.

OK - Here's a VERY partial list of options. Tell me what to bring oh wise paxers!

Ticket to Ride (+ Nordic, 1912 Cards)
    Carcassonne (+Rivers2, Traders&Builders, Inns&Cathedrals, Princess&Dragon, The Tower)
    Settlers of Catan (+ Seafarers)
    Cosmic Encounter
    Alien Frontiers
    Galaxy Trucker
    Le Havre

Party Games (Last Word, Dixit, Say Anything, Wits & Wagers, Apples to Apples)

• mgriff3456mgriff3456 Registered User regular
    I can't wait for this. I don't know how to play many games but I'm looking forwarding to learning many of them. I'm really interested in Cards Against Humanity it sounds awesome. Anyway can't wait to play with all of you.

• zertechzertech Registered User regular
    im staying at the wyndham in Chelsea. Is anyone coming from that area to go to this and maybe want to split a taxi back or something?

• GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular

layout.png

Well, it's a dungeon-crawling RPG with a modular board... so yes, like Munchkin Quest, and like a zillion and a half other board games :)
    Descent stands out because it has 80 plastic figures (some of which I've even painted!) and over 500 other tokens (which I've organized into a divided bead box) and a whole lot of modular tiles and fairly interesting 'quests' defined in the rulebook that have their own enemies, board layouts, loot, etc.

And the rules are fantastic to boot (it's not just about the shinies!). Basically, every turn, the Overlord gets more powerful - so the heroes have to clear the dungeon as quickly as possible, while still collecting enough stuff to survive. It's a great mechanic. I usually play as the Overlord, but when I played as a hero it's positively terrifying to watch the Overlord amass threat tokens in an intimidating pile, and watch him tuck away a card or two for later with a slight grin on his face...

Ever since I played Mage Knight: Dungeons in high school I've been yearning for dungeon crawling board games that were more accessible. I may not be able to play, but don't be surprised if I look over your shoulder to see what Descent is like. The price of admission was always so high that I could never just drop cash on it.

Word on the street is that the Gears of War board game is a decent dungeon crawler as well.

Has Descent 2.0 released yet? It's supposed to have a lot of improvements.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Bigbrother87Bigbrother87 Registered User regular
    My friend and I will be staying at the Seaport, and since I did this last year and had a good time playing Shadow Hunters, I'm planning to come by again this year! (And possibly staying longer, since I won't have to worry about leaving early and catching public transportation back to my hotel like last year. Yay!)

Aside from a copy of Fluxx I won't be able to bring any actual games, but it looks like the game selection is already great! So I'll settle for providing two more bodies for games. :-)

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    My friend and I will be staying at the Seaport, and since I did this last year and had a good time playing Shadow Hunters, I'm planning to come by again this year! (And possibly staying longer, since I won't have to worry about leaving early and catching public transportation back to my hotel like last year. Yay!)

Aside from a copy of Fluxx I won't be able to bring any actual games, but it looks like the game selection is already great! So I'll settle for providing two more bodies for games. :-)

i too, for the sake of packing light, will be bringing little more than a couple of fluxx games and some zombie dice (and a ds of course), but it does look like a lot of people are bringing great stuff, so i'm sure there will be plenty to go around! so excited for TOMORROW night!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Should be there close to the start of the event, look for me in this shirt! http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=22878

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • kaine23kaine23 NJRegistered User regular
    If i can get from the Colonnade over there I'll come say hi.

Chorazin wrote: »
    Should be there close to the start of the event, look for me in this shirt! http://shirt.woot.com/friends.aspx?k=22878

God damn I want that shirt. Why is it no longer available?!

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:

Look for me wearing this shirt.

If I make it, I should have this on,
    Or my green lantern shirt.

LordGimmik wrote: »

we should make westin gaming firefly shirts a thing. i will wear this shirt. and pajamas.

7YIpfE5.png
    Heck how about any Firefly appeal is mandatory for next year. XD

we should make westin gaming firefly shirts a thing. i will wear this shirt. and pajamas.

+1 for this! Also, maybe we should take it up a notch. I can play the series on my laptop the whole time. <3 Netflix.

We shall be super best Firefly friends! :-)

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin

+1 for this! Also, maybe we should take it up a notch. I can play the series on my laptop the whole time. <3 Netflix.

THIS WILL BE THE BEST PAJAMA PARTY EVER.

7YIpfE5.png
  • gihzmogihzmo Registered User regular
    Is this open to anyone? We are going to the Pre-PAX dinner, and I think we may try to get into the gaming Thursday night. We can probably bring one or two games but im not sure what we will bring.

• JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    gihzmo wrote: »
    Is this open to anyone? We are going to the Pre-PAX dinner, and I think we may try to get into the gaming Thursday night. We can probably bring one or two games but im not sure what we will bring.

It's fun to be had by all!

GrimRupert wrote: »

layout.png

Ever since I played Mage Knight: Dungeons in high school I've been yearning for dungeon crawling board games that were more accessible. I may not be able to play, but don't be surprised if I look over your shoulder to see what Descent is like. The price of admission was always so high that I could never just drop cash on it.

Word on the street is that the Gears of War board game is a decent dungeon crawler as well.

It's not out yet! It looks great, there's a lot more variation in tilesets and supposedly the rules will be quite streamlined. It also appears to come in a smaller box, which would also be appreciated as this one is large enough to hide an elephant behind. There's also a conversion kit, which I might get as well, so I can use the miniatures I already have, since the new edition comes with about half the monsters / figures the first one did.

However, I think it's going to end up staying at home. I was sort of expecting as much, as it's a huge time commitment, and it's a huge space commitment, as we're only taking one car. I'll have the W40k Space Hulk: Death Angel card game, which is a spectacular little coop game the size of a hardcover book. Much more portable than Descent and plenty of fun as well :)

I look forward to seeing you all there!

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gah, I would LOVE to bring my HeroScape stuff up with me, but I don't know how I'd ever get it up there. :-( Maybe there will be someone else willing to put forth more effort than I in that regard.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png

Fund it!!

Board games, geeks, pajamas, booze, and Firefly on the night before the best event of the year...
    What could possibly go wrong?

Well hey been wanting to try to get back into tabletop gaming or card games, what's better to do so then here!

• walnuttthewisewalnuttthewise Registered User regular
    How late is this game night going to? I am arriving on the Sonic Line train around 8 tomorrow, but probably won't be all settled at the Westin until 9. Will it still be going strong around then? If so, I jump in it.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    How late is this game night going to? I am arriving on the Sonic Line train around 8 tomorrow, but probably won't be all settled at the Westin until 9. Will it still be going strong around then? If so, I jump in it.

It will likely be going until the wee hours of the morning

edited April 2012
    gespo89 wrote: »
    Gah, I would LOVE to bring my HeroScape stuff up with me, but I don't know how I'd ever get it up there. :-( Maybe there will be someone else willing to put forth more effort than I in that regard.

I would, but I have a giant rubbermade tub of terrain and a giant tacklebox full of figures! Just too much to bring to PAX.

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular

I would, but I have a giant rubbermade tub of terrain and a giant tacklebox full of figures! Just too much to bring to PAX.
    Ditto. It's all sitting in two big rubbermade tubs here. The mere thought of trying to brin that on the train makes me cringe.

1tLJUH2O.png
    GrimRupert wrote: »

layout.png

It's not out yet! It looks great, there's a lot more variation in tilesets and supposedly the rules will be quite streamlined. It also appears to come in a smaller box, which would also be appreciated as this one is large enough to hide an elephant behind. There's also a conversion kit, which I might get as well, so I can use the miniatures I already have, since the new edition comes with about half the monsters / figures the first one did.

However, I think it's going to end up staying at home. I was sort of expecting as much, as it's a huge time commitment, and it's a huge space commitment, as we're only taking one car. I'll have the W40k Space Hulk: Death Angel card game, which is a spectacular little coop game the size of a hardcover book. Much more portable than Descent and plenty of fun as well :)

I look forward to seeing you all there!

Understandable on leaving Descent behind. I'd very much be interested in giving Space Hulk a shot.

So it turned out that I had more space in my duffel bag than I expected, so I stuffed the Order of the Stick card/board game in there. It is a similar dungeon crawler, though it limits itself to using cards and dice without any physical models. I'll probably give the rules a second look on the train ride down so I can more easily help teach other players. That and I haven't played a full game myself yet.

It's a shame, because I realize now that it would have been better for me to have packed Mall of Horror, a zombie mall survival board game. That one is a lot easier to pick up and learn and games can be pretty quick, not to mention it takes up a lot less space than Order of the Stick. But, I'm already at the Philadelphia train station, so meh.

As a reminder, I will be bringing: Order of the Stick, the Resident Evil Deck Building Game, and Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil (deck building game). I've included links with instructions on how to play in case you have some spare time in learning one of the games.

I look forward to seeing you guys tonight! :D

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    Myself and a friend will be there with a couple versions of fluxx and Cards Against Humanity.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.

I have a bookcase dedicated to Heroscape. I can't imagine the work involved in getting everything there and setup for what would probably be one campaign.

kaine23 wrote: »

Fund it!!

Anybody know the Wifi situation? I assume it's the typical hotel pay-per-day model. Free Wifi would be awesome though.

Westin charges for wifi, so it's pay an outrageous fee or survive on mobile data. :-(

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin