As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: January's over, go to the new thread

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Monster Hunter: Venerial

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well there are several rumors going around about Monster Hunter Portable 3G coming out for Vita but who knows.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    To be fair to Girl Fight - the fighting game genre is somewhat underrepresented in terms of original games on the two marketplaces (not including Games on Demand). Deadliest Warrior sold pretty well enough to get DLC and a sequel and it's the same kind of stupid fun I'd expect from Girl Fight. It will probably sell really well just based on lack of competition.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    To be fair to Girl Fight: I like bewbs!

Of course, I still have no interest in playing Girl Fight, but I do enjoy teh bewbiez! 8->

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    I was just reminded of something else, Nintendo announced they have in the works another 2D Mario game for the 3DS.

That is going to be another gunshot to the chest for the Vita.

(speaking of Vita, I wonder if I do break and buy one, if my wife will notice the new huge charge on our Best Buy card....decisions decisions.) :P

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    If Sony hadn't pushed back the US release so far, I feel like they would be in a much better position.

Why did they even do that, anyway? The impression I had initially gotten from EA was that it was supposed to be a simultaneous worldwide release.

Right, February is a pretty ludicrous time to release hardware, since people are still recovering from Christmas.

Tax returns.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Gotta say, I'm definitely surprised that HTC signed on to get PlayStation certified, especially since by all indications Sony's own PlayStation certified devices aren't selling well.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'd blame that more on them pairing with Verizon and their horribly priced plans. The Xperia line of phones, in general, are pretty nice.

Paying a good 50% more for a phone plan compared to pretty much every other provider? Fuck that.

I still love me a Vita, though, I need to get one.

Also, fishing way back here: as for the phone warz. I blame it on Jobs. He vocally hated Android (I think the idea of competition and anything not under his draconian control hurt his peepee.) and anything that man said pretty much turned to gospel for the rabid hordes of Apple fanboys.

steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Monster Hunter: Venerial

"Catch the disease!"

edited February 2012
    I'll just post this here:
    Gamasutra's most overlooked game of 2011 might not have been as ignored as we'd feared, as Ubisoft today revealed that Rayman: Origins has already proven to be a profitable game for the company.

While no specific sales figures were provided (nor was the budget), the company revealed the game's profitability to investors during a conference call Wednesday morning, saying that the title "has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company."

The success may come as a surprise to some, as the game -- which resembles digital titles such as Castle Crashers or Braid more than the meaty 3D titles one might expect to see at retail -- was sold in a box at the same $60 price point as, say, Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty.

Now, this can mean anything. I wonder just what it needed to be profitable. I mean Ubisoft didn't spend nearly anything in advertising. By profitable they probably mean "we didn't lose money on it, but hell will freeze over before we make another non-rabbids Rayman game. And you can pretty much forget about BG&E2 ever seeing the light of day."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/40327/2D_throwback_Rayman_Origins_proves_profitable_for_Ubisoft.php

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Gotta say, I'm definitely surprised that HTC signed on to get PlayStation certified, especially since by all indications Sony's own PlayStation certified devices aren't selling well.

To be fair though, HTC phones are fuckawesome and Sony phones are pretty meh in comparison.

fragglefart.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Profitable seems like a good place to be for a game like that. It boosted their cred among the "artsy" types and didn't end up costing them money. Win-win if that was their plan.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    I'd like to give the Xperia Play a go as my next phone, but from what I understand the hardware is fairly behind the rest of the phone industry.

Fuck if I know.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    I wish we could have seen a breakdown of how it sold on each platform.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    I'd like to give the Xperia Play a go as my next phone, but from what I understand the hardware is fairly behind the rest of the phone industry.

Fuck if I know.

I tried it for work, but while it wasn't crap it wasn't exactly top of the line either, yeah. At least it's cheap.

I don't know if there's been much added for the PlayStation Suite lately... other than Minecraft releases have been few and far between, which is why I'm shocked another company is bothering to sign on, much less that the service still exists.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll realize selling 20 dollar games at 60 dollars is a Bad Idea™ and start pricing accordingly, it seems to have shot Rayman sales to the moon.

Allforce wrote:
    Maybe they'll realize selling 20 dollar games at 60 dollars is a Bad Idea™ and start pricing accordingly, it seems to have shot Rayman sales to the moon.

What denotes Rayman Origins as a 20 dollar game?

FU7kFbw.png
    Allforce wrote:

Rayman's downfall was that Ubisoft *gasp!* mishandled the release. They didn't advertise and they ninja released it to the wild. It was a red-headed stepchild of a release.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Rayman hasn't quite hit $20 yet, I think. $30 and $40, yeah.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:

It's a 2D platformer.

Renzo wrote:

There have been multiple $20 sales, but officially it's $30.

Though I'd agree Ubi's to blame. Zero advertising, plus it came out the same day as the latest Assassin's Creed.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

It's a 2D platformer.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ten dollars per D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    reVerse wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

It's a 2D platformer.

So 2D platformers by default are "20 dollar games" these days?

FU7kFbw.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Ten dollars per D

There's a lot of six and seven-dimensional games out there, then.

Henroid wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Ten dollars per D

There's a lot of six and seven-dimensional games out there, then.

You should see how many dimensions you get in Skylanders.

FU7kFbw.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The only bad idea was releasing at the same time as Asassins Crred.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

Though I'd agree Ubi's to blame. Zero advertising, plus it came out the same day as the latest Assassin's Creed.

Just like I said, it is all Ubisoft's fault, and I think it was meant to tank. They even released a much higher profile game that cannibalized any sale Rayman may have had.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

Just like I said, it is all Ubisoft's fault, and I think it was meant to tank. They even released a much higher profile game that cannibalized any sale Rayman may have had.

I think they would have been better served waiting until the spring so they could release it on all platforms at once (360/PS3/PC/Wii/3DS/Vita)

FU7kFbw.png
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Renzo wrote:

I think they would have been better served waiting until the spring so they could release it on all platforms at once (360/PS3/PC/Wii/3DS/Vita)

That would assume they wanted the game to succeed. (protip: They didn't)

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

It's a 2D platformer.

It's not bad, but people who know about making games know that making a 3D game is significantly more resource intensive. You don't see a lot of fully animated, high end, 3D games done by two or three people....you see that with 2D all the time.

That doesn't mean 2D is "easy", but for the most part, a 2D game is going to cost an order of magnitude (or more) less to make than it's 3D equivalent. Not only is the programming aspect significantly harder for 3D, the actual art assets are quite a bit more time and budget consuming to make. That's why people tend to get the idea that a 2D game really shouldn't cost 60 bucks, and for the most part, they aren't completely wrong.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    Allforce wrote:

It's a 2D platformer.

It's not bad, but people who know about making games know that making a 3D game is significantly more resource intensive. You don't see a lot of fully animated, high end, 3D games done by two or three people....you see that with 2D all the time.

That doesn't mean 2D is "easy", but for the most part, a 2D game is going to cost an order of magnitude (or more) less to make than it's 3D equivalent. Not only is the programming aspect significantly harder for 3D, the actual art assets are quite a bit more time and budget consuming to make. That's why people tend to get the idea that a 2D game really shouldn't cost 60 bucks, and for the most part, they aren't completely wrong.

So are we going on how many people it takes to make a game, then?

Are almost 18 minutes worth of credits not enough for you?

FU7kFbw.png
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan

Way to not even read what I said. I said that 3D art assets are much more expensive to produce, are you disputing this? With a credit roll video?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Yeah, max, what GnomeTank said was actually the qualifier I was looking for. Because he's right.

GnomeTank wrote:

Way to not even read what I said. I said that 3D art assets are much more expensive to produce, are you disputing this? With a credit roll video?

But this isn't some pixel-art game that looks like it could be done on the commodore 64. It's something more comparable to a Disney Animated film in terms of art produced.

FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2012
    GnomeTank wrote:

But this isn't some pixel-art game that looks like it could be done on the commodore 64. It's something more comparable to a Disney Animated film in terms of art produced.

Great, so it's good 2D art...it still took hundreds of hours less time and probably tends of thousands less dollars to make one animated 2D character for Rayman than it does for the average 3D game. A single, high end, high poly, well textured, 3D model, with an equivalent low poly version with generated bump maps, with both high poly and low poly animations and physics rigging is a tens of thousands of dollars affair, generally requiring work from multiple people, to complete one model.

e: I didn't even count the cost it took to mo-cap and then digitize the basics for those skeletal animations, and then the time required for an artist to turn that basic skeleton in to actual IK key frames with appropriate rotations and bone attachments.

GnomeTank on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:

Great, so it's good 2D art...it still took hundreds of hours less time and probably tends of thousands less dollars to make one animated 2D character for Rayman than it does for the average 3D game. A single, high end, high poly, well textured, 3D model, with an equivalent low poly version with generated bump maps, with both high poly and low poly animations and physics rigging is a tens of thousands of dollars affair, generally requiring work from multiple people, to complete one model.

e: I didn't even count the cost it took to mo-cap and then digitize the basics for those skeletal animations, and then the time required for an artist to turn that basic skeleton in to actual IK key frames with appropriate rotations and bone attachments.

And it would probably cost even more to pour that level of detail into a 2D sprite. Sprites only seem cheaper because artists can do much less with them without people complaining.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Are there any official comparisons between how much it costs to make a 2D vs 3D game? Because I dunno, my gut says the 2D game is probably more expensive. Or at the very least more labor intensive. You've got to create every single frame of animation your object will ever do. Which is going to rise dramatically depending on how fluid you want the movement to be. And then multiplied even more for each different character. Whereas with 3D, you just create the model, then you create the animations. Then you tidy up any glitches. If you're lazy economical, you're using similarly designed models all working off the same animation routines. Otherwise it's the same process for each character.

I could be wrong. I'm no artist or programmer. And I'm not saying 3D animation is any less easy. It just seems logical that 2D would be harder than 3D.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm pretty sure they've got engines in place, animations and rigs that they can tweak, a full physics modeling suite, etc. You only have to draw a character's textures once or twice, but a high quality 2D game can have thousands of animation frames.

Isn't that why Disney doesn't like to do 2D animated movies anymore? They're far more expensive and time consuming to make?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky