As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Renaissance/Traditional/Awesome songs for me and my freind to rock out with?

Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So me and my freind have started playing music together. We're big music guys, and we figured between us we play enough instruments to actually do something cool.

He plays:
Piano
A little bass
Xylophone
Recorder
Drums
Digeridoo (heh) and I know I'm forgetting some stuff.

I play:
Guitar
Bass
Ocarina
and I can fake recorder , xylophone, and piano.

We also can both fake a bunch of otehr instruments, enough to get us by with the stuff we're doing. So the two songs we've been working on aren't your typical songs kids are playing now. We've got this song, Riu Riu Chiu down, and we're working on this other song, Dulaman. For those not familiar:

This is a really really bad version of Riu Riu Chiu but you get the idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIYIhUsamj0

And this is Dulaman (AWESOME song):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92B5U30Yw0

So, for example, in Riu Riu Chiu, (we downloaded the sheet music for both these songs.) I'm playing guitar and he's playing bass, and I'm either playing the soprano part or some chords, and he's playing the bass part or the melody over my changes. It sounds really cool, and he also plays the melody on the xylophone over the changes in some parts. In Dulaman we just play the outer two parts mostly and it still sounds awesome.It's jsut a lot of fun and really cool and something different to do. But we need more songs. So I've come to you guys.

What I need is more songs that are kind of like these? Actually, they really dont have to be anyhting like these, just in kind of a traditional style. Dont even worry about us not being able to do it in two parts, we can take a challenge.

Thanks a lot for any reccomendations. Also, for clarification on the title, we're not playing these songs in heavy metal or anything, we're doing it with an acoustic guitar and an acoustic bass for now, trying to keep it at least semi-legit.

Chop Logic on

• RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My youtube is busted, but I saw Renaissance in the thread title and the only band that comes to mind is Blackmore's Night. I wouldn't consider them "rocking" but it may be what you are looking for.

RazzleDazz on
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanks, I'll check them out, but like i said we're not really 'rocking' out, we are keeping it kind of legit, we're also going to take a look at some madrigals if that helps anyone with suggestions. Thanks.

Chop Logic on
  • DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have no clue where you'd find it, as all the music we play in my early music ensemble is supplied by the director, but look for anything by Michael Praetorius - he was one of the biggest instrumental composers/arrangers of the time period you seem to be interested in. Look for work from his Terpsichore collection, which is instrumental dance music.

Another song you might want to look at is "Sing We and Chant It" or something along those lines.. our group has done that with our early music vocal group, along with Riu Riu Chiu.

Granted, none of this stuff is quite in the same vein as Riu Riu or Dulaman (which is awesome, I've never heard that before) but it is all renaissance music.

Like I said, I'm afraid I don't know where you'd begin to look for collections of music in this style, but at least it gives you something to look for.

DustyBottoms on
    828636-1.png
    edited February 2007
    Thanks a lot, we ended up finding Riu Riu Chiu and Dulaman online, most of these songs are so old tht they're just in public domain I guess.

And I'm from long island too.

Chop Logic on
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Scarborough Fair?

It was popularized by Simon and Garfunkel, but originally it was from the medieval period.

Edit: That Dulaman video gets +1000 points for the guy in the background at 1:06

Taximes on
    edited March 2007
    Oh yeah, Scarborough Fair is perfect, I'll take a look at that with him.

Also, its funny because I dont even have to look at that part to know exactly what you're talking about.

Chop Logic on