As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War IP sold to Microsoft Studios: The End of an Era

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    The most frustrating thing in the world is Guardian with randoms.

• Options
    When you are the leader don't plant a grenade and then stand next to it. Pro tip.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Doesn't matter who plants it actually , if an enemy detonates it it will kill you regardless. So don't stand by explosives would be better advice. It also translates to the real world as well!

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    I know it doesn't matter who plants it, but the guy was perfectly safe, stuck a grenade and then just seemed to wait till an enterprising bad guy made it go boom. Other delightful scenarios involve leaders charging straight into the enemy, leaders going afk, leaders blowing themselves up with the boom shot, etc. I think at least half aren't even using LB to see where the enemy is.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well, last night, thanks to a buddy, I've got my 100th Combat Engineer ribbon.

Now I'm ready to face Insane Arcade with my friends. Except for the Lambent Zerker.... Apparently Insta-gib doesn't work on her :(

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    She goes down like a bitch if you have super-active reload.

• Options
    I have that too.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Bogart wrote: »
    I know it doesn't matter who plants it, but the guy was perfectly safe, stuck a grenade and then just seemed to wait till an enterprising bad guy made it go boom. Other delightful scenarios involve leaders charging straight into the enemy, leaders going afk, leaders blowing themselves up with the boom shot, etc. I think at least half aren't even using LB to see where the enemy is.

I would feel safe betting that most of the second scenario is people trying to unlock ivory. It was an epically moronic (See what I did? Epic and morons? I am witty!) decision for it to promote leaders playing super aggressive.

• Options
    Finally got a win on Jacinto last night, which means I can probably abandon Guardian for the time being. If anyone wants to do the Beast levels of Fenix Rising or Forces of Nature, or a horde map all the way to fifty of either, send me a message.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    YES my TV is finally fixed! I'll be on gears tonight BAYBEE with the new maps WOOOOO

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    As annoying as I've Got This! can be, I still prefer it over Foreshadowing. At least I've Got This! involves teamwork, skill and communication. Whereas Foreshadowing can't even be accomplished unless you're lucky and an opponent is playing as Kim.

• Options
    NibCrom wrote: »
    As annoying as I've Got This! can be, I still prefer it over Foreshadowing. At least I've Got This! involves teamwork, skill and communication. Whereas Foreshadowing can't even be accomplished unless you're lucky and an opponent is playing as Kim.

Foreshadowing didn't unlock anything though.

• Options
    Well... no. But it's still an achievement.

• Options
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Well... no. But it's still an achievement.

I meant foreshadowing isnt as bad because there is nothing tied to it . The reason guardian is overrun with idiots atm is that they are all trying to unlock ivory making "I got this" so much worse.

• Options
    Yes, I am on the same page with you there. From an achievement perspective, I prefer I've Got This!, but it does make gameplay difficult with people going Rambo as the Guardian.

• Options
    Can we organize a full lobby for "I got this" farming?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Can we organize a full lobby for "I got this" farming?
    I'm up for that. We tried to do this the other day but failed pretty well. Name your time.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    I'm free all day if anyone wants to grind out any achievements.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Espanta and I had some good games last night. Having not played in a month, then playing CoD before Gears really messes with your head. I kept trying to reload with X.

Anyway, I like the new maps and I'll be on more often.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Maybe today we can do it.

Does it still throw you into a bot match if your connect is shitty enough if you're playing Guardian?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe today we can do it.

Does it still throw you into a bot match if your connect is shitty enough if you're playing Guardian?

Yes but there are so many people in that playlist that I still get full games at 4 am est. I was not amused!

• Options
    Well, I was thinking about using my cellular 4g hotspot to take my Xbox online. At my brother's place the connection is just enough to connect and verify DLC but not really good enough to play on.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So, the only really good bit from today's Epic panel at PAX, besides the fact that Epic is working on a new PC game, is that there will be an announcement "soon" about a character that didn't get a lot of screen time in Gears 3. I hoping it involves Myrrah. Though the "announcement" could just be the upcoming books and comics.

• Options
    Bernie?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ugh no , no more old lady with the annoying voice . Hoffman or Prescott would be my guess. I would want it to be about Clayton but it probably wont happen.

• Options
    Ugh no , no more old lady with the annoying voice . Hoffman or Prescott would be my guess. I would want it to be about Clayton but it probably wont happen.

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY CAKEHOLE!

On a serious note, yeah they totally botched her voice. Sam sounded older than Bernie did.

• Options
    Rumour has it that Exile has been cancelled, according to Games Asylum.

• Options
    I just had the highest scoring game I've ever had and Live disconnected 5 seconds before the end of the match.

I am... so pissed.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Willeth wrote: »
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/08/gears-of-war-exile-was-actually-once-a-thing-now-not-a-thing/

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Willeth wrote: »
    Link? I've never heard of the site before, so the one that got pulled up in google search may be the wrong one, as I didn't see any mention of exile going back to December of last year.

EDIT: Nevermind, it was from their forum, and the news originates from gamespot: http://www.gamespot.com/news/gears-of-war-exile-cancelled-6370520
    Gears of War: Exile will never be. Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski told GameSpot today that the rumored Kinect project is no longer in development at the Cary, North Carolina-based studio.

"Let's just bury the hatchet now," he said. "Gears of War: Exile was an unannounced game that I can't give any details about that has since been cancelled."

Well that's that then. $5 says they canceled it because they couldn't satisfactory Kinect implementation.

EDIT: Huh, unless Epic announces something in the next three months, Gears is pretty much going to go into a state of dormancy. No new games, no new DLC, the comic series is ending in June and the last book will be out in May.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    More DLC possibly on the way, including new campaign DLC and a Horde/Beast versus mode.

http://www.wethegamerz.com/2012/04/07/gears-of-war-3-rumored-singleplayer-dlc-hordebeast-versus-mode/

My question is... is this included for season pass holders?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    They said four pieces of DLC for season pass holders so I would say almost certainly not. Also people are reading WAAAAY too much into these statements.

1. Cliffy said there would be an announcement "soon" regarding a character who didn't get a lot of screen time in gears 3. No mention of DLC, or even anything game related was mentioned. Could be a behind the scenes thing, could be a new comic or novel, could be some animated shorts... Could be anything.
    2. It was said that the a competative horde mode could be something they are looking at but whether it's for DLC or a new game, or just random prototyping was not said.

Basically video game "journalism" strikes again.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i did not find any eggs, which was very sad indeed
    i did see a huge dude in a cog outfit though

• Options
    Need two more guys for an Ivory attempt.

• Options
    Inker2000Inker2000 Registered User regular
    anyone interested in achievements this weekend? some wouldnt be too hard if we had enough people.

GT - Inkdizz

• Options
    Socialite popped for me this weekend. I would have had it a week ago, but I didn't know you had to play public versus to get the event ribbons until after the week Gears 3 was released.

• Options
    Wow, almost ten days since a post.

Anywho, issue #23 of the comic came out today: second to last issue. Nothing new was revealed storyline-wise. The comic just covers a small slice of time with Bernie, Hoffman, Dizzy and Padric Salton (character from the books) at Anvil Gate. While it was nice to see the characters interacting and I do like me some Bernie, the fact that nothing happens that you wouldn't have already known from playing the game is a bit of a downer.
    Basically it starts showing how Anvil Gate is hunting to survive and Pad and Dizzy head out to trade firs for some fuel, but run into some Stranded assholes who try to extort money out of them: of course the former cogs get the upper hand and leave the stranded behind sans weapons, which leads to them mysteriously dying. This in turn kicks off a small skirmish where the Stranded think the COG killed thier men, when in fact it was DUN DUN DUN, the Locust! The Cog kill a small platoon of locust, but unbeknownst them, there's whole lot more on the move underground.

Next issue is apparently the last issue in the series, and could quite possibly be the last piece of Gears of War stoyline for the next few years. Book 5 comes out on the 8th, so I'll probably start re-reading all the older books in prep (Will give me something to do while waiting for the Avengers too :D). The next issue of the comic will apparently involve Myrrah in some fashion. Maybe that's where we'll get the final revelation.

• Options
    Is Traviss writing the comics as well?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Is Traviss writing the comics as well?

She started writing the comics with issue #15 for 4 pendulum wars stories, and then for the six-issue "Dirty Little Secrets" mini-series which will conclude with issue #24 in June.