As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War IP sold to Microsoft Studios: The End of an Era

• Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote:
    Yeah they released it for free at Thanksgiving.

Cool, cool. Just making sure I wouldn't be missing out on anything vital. It's only $5 difference, but my wife LOVES savings, no matter how small.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote:
    Yeah they released it for free at Thanksgiving.

Cool, cool. Just making sure I wouldn't be missing out on anything vital. It's only $5 difference, but my wife LOVES savings, no matter how small.

With those $5 you can buy the map pack. That may not be true. I have the season pass so I don't actually know how much the second map pack costs. Plus you should buy Raam's Shadow if you buy any DLC.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Map pack costs are as follows

Horde Command Pack: $10 (3 New Maps Available in Private Matches, Horde and Beast Modes. 3 New MP models, 2 New Weapon Skins and new fortifications in Horde Mode)
    Versus Booster Pack: FREE (3 Horde Command Pack Maps available in Public Matches, 2 New Maps
    RAAM's Shadow: $15 (3 Hour campaign for SP, Coop and Arcade mode, 6 New MP models, 1 New Weapon Skin)
    Fenix Rising: $10 (5 New Multiplayer Maps Available in All Modes, 4 New Character Models, Re-Up "prestige" leveling)
    DLC #4: $10 (Not a clue what it contains yet)

All four of the paid DLC are $45 if bought seperately or $30 if bought together in the Season Pass.

And there's a shitton of miscellaneous weapon skins available in all manner of configurations and aren't available in the Season Pass. Check the OP for more info.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    I saw someone with the GT pronader get a quin with a grenade today. All I could think about was how appropriate his name was.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So... Interesting shinannigins last night.
    Did some offline co-op (4-player, System link, after connecting to Live).

Apparently I have access to OG Cole Train when I do this. However I lose my liquid green metal and team pulse skins.

Also, Escalation is an interesting map.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Dear god in heaven
    cupid.jpg
    Gears Weekend: Cupid’s Wingman

Grab your favorite Valentine and get ready for the event for this #GearsWeekend, “Cupid’s Wingman.” In this special edition of Wingman, you will start with the Torque Bow, Gnasher and Snub. The Torque Bow only has one arrow and all weapon pickups are replaced with the Torque. The special one shot Snub also makes a return, so watch your head! The event runs through 9:00 AM EASTERN February 15th.

Speaking of your head, you will also have a special Valentine’s Day head and custom “Cupid” weapon skins. Thanks to Epic Games Senior Multiplayer Programmer Pete “petenub” Knepley for the creating the awesome weapon skins, they are already a huge hit!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Really? Giving props to the guy for a pallet swap?

Unless the Bow has a skin, then I take it back

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nocren wrote:
    So... Interesting shinannigins last night.
    Did some offline co-op (4-player, System link, after connecting to Live).

Apparently I have access to OG Cole Train when I do this. However I lose my liquid green metal and team pulse skins.

Also, Escalation is an interesting map.

System link now unlocks all skins. I guess its that people can use their favorite characters without having too much trouble when there are a lot of local players. The loss of the skins maybe due to licensing issues , do you lose your arcade games when you are offline? If so that's why.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    Well that's just it... I have my pink, flower, team metal, rainbow, Crimson omen (lancer), infected omen, and all season pass skins (liquid metal, jungle camo, chocolate camo).
    Heck it even said that there was an issue with team pulse and it can't be read, but liquid green doesn't show up at all.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Try redownloading them.

• Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    Dear god in heaven
    cupid.jpg
    Gears Weekend: Cupid’s Wingman

Grab your favorite Valentine and get ready for the event for this #GearsWeekend, “Cupid’s Wingman.” In this special edition of Wingman, you will start with the Torque Bow, Gnasher and Snub. The Torque Bow only has one arrow and all weapon pickups are replaced with the Torque. The special one shot Snub also makes a return, so watch your head! The event runs through 9:00 AM EASTERN February 15th.

Speaking of your head, you will also have a special Valentine’s Day head and custom “Cupid” weapon skins. Thanks to Epic Games Senior Multiplayer Programmer Pete “petenub” Knepley for the creating the awesome weapon skins, they are already a huge hit!
    Well I know what I'm playing this weekend. Holy Sh

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Just beat this tonight. I would just like to say, the sawn off is the most pointless gun in the campaign. Never once was it useful. They could have at least given it two shots before the reload that takes an eternity.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    DeMoN wrote:
    Just beat this tonight. I would just like to say, the sawn off is the most pointless gun in the campaign. Never once was it useful. They could have at least given it two shots before the reload that takes an eternity.

It can liquify a boomer in a single hit. But yeah, I don't htink I used it once, and in fact went out of my way to take that shit away from my AI teammates. (They do so much better with a Lancer/Retro Lancer combo :D)

Occasionally the game will bug and they'll only have one weapon. Once Anya got stuck with nothing but the fuckin' sawed off. :(

Given it was at the most frustrating part of the campaign, outside of the boss IMO, (the lambent outside of Griffen's refinery) I had to restart the whole chapter and make sure she didn't have a sawed off anywhere near her.

• Options
    DeMoN wrote:

Its a multiplayer gun for people new /bad at versus sir . If you would add another shell it would break the balance.

• Options
    DeMoN wrote:

Its a multiplayer gun for people new /bad at versus sir . If you would add another shell it would break the balance.

Yeah, I considered that. Surely there could be a way to change the gun for singleplayer but leave it like it is for multiplayer?

Also, I had no idea you could switch out teammates weapons. How is that done?

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I like the sawed off shotgun for Horde. Useful for taking out the boomers.

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    Get them to stop fuckin moving around. Aim with LT, and pick the appropriate options.

You can also do this in Horde, Beast and multi, but no-one ever does.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    I'll probably use the sawn off sometimes in horde, just because I have a gold one and I like to show off. Even though I doubt anyone cares at all.

But it does look cool.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    So apparently EPIC tweeted they removed Overpass from the rotation. Which is a good thing but I played the map a few hours ago so...

• Options
    Sad that the DICE Summit and the Vegas trip are over but there's lots of work to be done. DLC 4 news coming soon!
    Link

I'm guessing "soon" means the middle of next week.

• Options
    Sad that the DICE Summit and the Vegas trip are over but there's lots of work to be done. DLC 4 news coming soon!
    Link

I'm guessing "soon" means the middle of next week.

Well there was also a tweet about how the dlc would be awesome for weapon skin fans , after we had already seen that they were just recolors lol. Not really interested in this pack tbh , beast mode never really appealed to me but this is also the pack that we got for free for buying the season pass so its all good.

• Options
    I'm looking forward to finding out what the achievements are for DLC #4. So far most of the Gears 3 cheevos have been fun to work on.

• Options
    NibCrom wrote:
    I'm looking forward to finding out what the achievements are for DLC #4. So far most of the Gears 3 cheevos have been fun to work on.

Been too many play [ ] for [ ] time achievements in my opinion.

• Options
    Yeah, after I beat the game and looked through the cheevos, I was really bummed that there was not 1 single cheevo for doing something interesting in the campaign. Just "get executions", "beat stuff", and "collect stuff".

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Well, there is the one secret achievement, but that's it.

Though I think stuff like the cluckshot and toaster (from 2) shouldn't be achievements. If they are people start immediately trying to figure out how to get/unlock them to boost their Gamerscore instead of it being a bonus joke.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh yeah, that would suck too. I'm talking about little fun things. Halo Reach had a few little fun ones. Like "Killed the Elite Zealot before he escaped during the 5th mission. " or "Performed an Assassination against an Elite to survive a fall that would've been fatal. " Just a little something to try if you didn't do it the first time around.

I was shocked when I didn't get a cheevo for killing all the dudes at the fort before they could blow the horns.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    You sorta did... It's the only way to get a CoG tag in that level.
    But yeah, I loved Reach's "bonus objective" style achievements.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    So I dont know if you guys posted this or have seen them but these ( unfortunately) fan recolors are better then almost all of the dlc skins. I really wish the liquid metal black and ebony and ivory ones were real.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/885422-EGF-Weapon-Skin-Ideas.-What-Color-Manips-do-You-Have-Rolling-Around-in-Your-Head?p=29996127#post29996127

• Options
    Hey look, more weapon skin leaks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdk7vK8Emo

I think the white skins are actually there for pallette swaps, but we see in that video

-White Omen
    -Red Ocean(?)
    -White Pulse

• Options
    Yeah it is ocean isn't it? Good catch thought it was red plasma on a different colored gun for a second also the last one would be white plasma as pulse is a straight line going down the weapon. Man we really need something new to talk about lol discussing skins gets old.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Is the Gear armor powered-armor, or just body armor?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    It's body armor. It just has weird glowly bits on it so you know what side the guy you're shooting at is on.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    DLC 4 showoff on Thursday on GTTV on Thursday. You can get a brief glimpse here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ-yZK-n20I

I see crazy red metal weapon skin, Mechanic Baird LE, Commando Dom LE, and I think Day One (People are saying Raven Down but I'm pretty sure Cliffy said they would never put that map into Gears3 as long as he worked at Epic) and Jacinto.

God I was really hoping for no Day One. I really hated that map.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    I'm inclined to say that's Raven Down also. Which is odd.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Yeah, seems like he doesn't like Raven Down.

But that map looks like Raven Down to me. Maybe enough people like it they decided to included it. It could have changes to make it different, Bullet Marsh changed from Gears 1 to Gears 3.

• Options
    sockssocks Registered User regular
    I can see how people are getting both Raven Down and Day One from that video. But, you can see Mortar fire at the end and from what I remember, Raven Down was a bit small to have a Mortar.

• Options
    socks wrote:
    I can see how people are getting both Raven Down and Day One from that video. But, you can see Mortar fire at the end and from what I remember, Raven Down was a bit small to have a Mortar.

Raven down was too small to have anything , with the new rifles moving around is going to be a pain.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rVTukN_HEM

New leaked skins courtesy of Cfabre.

• Options
    So the name of the DLC is going to be.. (drumroll please!)

...Forces of Nature.

Only a few hours before it gets shown off.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Here's an interesting interview, though I'm not entirely keen on what some of it suggests.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hIFpGooAo

-"Down the road" Cliffy wants to look at making unlocks non-cosmetic. Enhanced abilities (faster roadie run) and alternate guns were suggested. Not happy about that, personally.
    -UK Players, due to Europe's internet infrastructure, have a slightly lower percentage of connecting to a dedicated server
    -Cliffy says he wishes they could have gotten the Shrieker working on Beast mode, but flying produced too many problems
    -Dodged questions about whether DLC #4 will be beast related and if River will ever come back
    -Warzone/Execution were combined due to low player turnouts, but Epic is open to reversing the change
    -The big outcry over the death of Guardian is well known at Epic and it sounds like it got pushed up from "never happening" to "we're looking at it"
    -Cliffy gives a "shout out" to PC Players because that's where all the ideas for dedicated servers and weekly updates comes from.. How about releasing the game on PC if you want to "shout out" :P
    -Mentions how he understands why players buy used and it's something he would have done as a kid to save money: says the key is to positively "incentivising" new purchases. Nice to see someone not vilify used games for once.

Undead Scottsman on