As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Wayfarer's Time Has Come: Growlanser IV Released! (Vita compatible!)

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    In case all four of you were worried.

629093_20120619_screen007.jpg
    629093_20120619_screen008.jpg
    629093_20120619_screen009.jpg
    629093_20120619_screen005.jpg
    629093_20120619_screen011.jpg
    629093_20120619_screen013.jpg

Fear not!

It isn't,

24-gl2_u5_019.jpg

or

growlanser-heritage-of-war-20071026070437846-000.jpg

but I'll live.

wVEsyIc.png
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I wasn't worried. I have all pre-ordered on Amazon and am looking forward to the release. I love me some Growlanser.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    How's the series play? What's it similar to?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    How's the series play? What's it similar to?

Its a strategy RPG, though it does not use a Grid system for combat. Instead, the battle fields are open and you can direct your character to move anywhere there is open space. Combat is also not strict turn base. Every character/enemy is on an Active Time counter, where the faster the character, the quicker and more often they can act. There are "Rounds" but they last a set amount of time rather then changing after every character has gone.

There is also a heavy emphasis on story and plot. Growlanser 2 is one of my all time favorite games. the LetsPlay archive has a Lets Play of it if you want to get a feel for the game.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    http://www.atlus.com/growlanserpsp/

Finally live. Quite concise and helpful.

wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2012
    One week!

Kratoscar from the Atlus MB was nice enough to do some videos of the JP version.

Shame Atlus USA hasn't given anyone who isn't a Growlanser fan much reason to care, but ah well. We'll make up the slack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kIltK6ZJD4
    This is a video of a normal mission battle in WoT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kIltK6ZJD4 Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAklGteirSY Part 2

This is an explanation of commands available during battle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JLXldx484o

This is one about magic and the party command menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZEigdTeLo Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5maYU7mcdk Part 2

Just to clarify the Jp version has battle voices wich the US version probably wont have. I will make more soon.

There's no word on whether or not the US version will at least keep battle quips. I hope so.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    If cj/someone hypes me up enough I will put all(most all) my other games on hold to play this.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited July 2012
    Growlanser II is my second favorite SRPG ever, second only to Dragon Force.

IV is supposed to blow it away.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    My money is ready. Hoping it's Vita compatible on day 1.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    So I don't get the first post. Is it saying that the game isn't like the Growlanser games that were in Growlanser Generations, or am I missing something?

Because the video makes it looks a lot like Growlanser 2.

EDIT: I'm stupid and mean the totp post on page 2, not the OP post. Doh.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    It's a lot like Growlanser 2, but the story and layout of this game is supposed to be even better.

Also, world map, not point'n'click, like G3.

wVEsyIc.png
    I have it pre-ordered, but I won't be playing right away. I have a 13 hour drive at the end of August to take care of some moving stuff for a family member. I'll be behind the wheel half way, but the other half? I will be sitting in the passenger seat, playing Growlanser.

PSN|AspectVoid
    wofcountdown8.jpg

I love that site.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    629093_20120619_screen009.jpg

Whatever that thing is on his head, we need to kill it before it eats his brain.

• Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Never played a Growlanser game before. I've got Heritage but only because "Hey, this is obscure and cheap so I'm gonna add it to my collection", as I'm want to do

Maybe I should get this

Shenl742 on
    FC: 1907-8030-1478
    I went and made a bunch of these to spread the love. I think they'll resize automatically for PA, though I could be wrong.

Take at your leisure, I'll know they went to good use. :P

gr41.jpggr42.jpggr44.jpggr45.jpg
    gr46.jpggr47.jpggr48.jpggr49.jpg
    gr50.jpggr51.jpggr52.jpggr53.jpg
    gr54.jpggr55.jpggr56.jpg
    gla4.pnggla5.pnggla6.pnggla7.png
    gla8.pnggla9.pnggla10.pnggla11.png
    gla12.pnggla13.pnggla14.png
    gla15.pnggla16.png

wVEsyIc.png
    That is a LOT of shiny, shiny hair

I wonder if Urushihara has considered an Herbal Essences endorsement.

wVEsyIc.png
    ehrmagherd, ghrerlherncer trehler

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al64LdoZdEI

Coming July 31st to PSP users, and August 31st to Vita users. (c wut i did thur)

It's a very good trailer. I'm impressed.

wVEsyIc.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Is there a breakdown non-spoilers of the main characters anywhere?
    And there's three different story routes in this game, right?

It's a very good trailer. I'm impressed.

The top YouTube comment gave me a chuckle.

"So when does this hit the Sega Saturn?"

Finished my NG+ run of Growlanser III. I am ready now.

025.jpg

So glad she's in IV.

wVEsyIc.png
    Your estimated delivery date is:

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

:D

wofcountdown1.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
    edited July 2012
    Your estimated delivery date is:

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

:D

wofcountdown1.jpg
    Your estimated Vita compatibility date is:

August 31, 2012

Ah well, will give me time to finish other stuff.

Donnicton on
    So, despite being the 4th game in the franchise, is it safe to say that storywise this is a stand-alone title?

Yes, 100%.

They go like this, chronologically:
    3-1-2
    5-6

wVEsyIc.png
    Amazon has shipped my copy and it will be delivered tomorrow. As I mentioned before, I won't be starting it right away due to my desire to have something new for my road trip at the end of August to play. But I know it will be sitting there, taunting me, whispering "play me....play me..."

Maybe I should start a new game of Growlanser 3 to sate my desire. I've only played through it once, so I think it would be a good time.

PSN|AspectVoid
    From what I've seen, the endings aren't nearly as satisfying as II's(nor are the boss fights), though I think the arc of III's plot is slightly stronger, if not as character driven. A lot more's at stake.

wVEsyIc.png
    It's up on the PSN!~
    Downloading now. <3

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Lemme know if it's Vita compatible, I know Atlus was apparently bugging SCEA about maybe getting that shit done prior to launch.

I mean I'm not getting my hopes up, but who knows.

I certainly won't be buying it until it's Vita compatible though.

Maddoc on
    My copy is out for delivery, so I expect it to be waiting for me when I get home from work.

So, as I contemplated last night, I did go ahead and start a new game of Growlanser 3. I was pretty excited to see that I still had my clear file from when I first beat it, all those years ago. So, I fired it up, and played up to reaching the first town and grinding to level 5. Then I realized that it was approaching midnight, and I really shouldn't start RPGs so late, and went to bed. I shall continue my game of Three tonight.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Lemme know if it's Vita compatible, I know Atlus was apparently bugging SCEA about maybe getting that shit done prior to launch.

I mean I'm not getting my hopes up, but who knows.

I certainly won't be buying it until it's Vita compatible though.

Can't tell you because my PS3 is halfway across the world from me. I'm downloading it on my laptop on MediaGo. I can check if it's on the Vita store itself in a minute, but I doubt it.

Not on the Vita storefront (neither is Gungir, Unchained Blades, or Hakuoki, though they're all PS3 transferable by now).

Good news @Maddoc and lots of other people. It's playable on Vita via PS3 transfer.
    Sadly, I'll have to wait to play it on the Vita till either a) I get back to the states in 3months or b) it does up on the Vita storefront.
    Knowing SCEA, the former is more likely.

Very impressive. UMD get, here!

wVEsyIc.png
    80023102 PSN error.

For fuck's sake Sony, this has been an off and on issue with your network for the last four years, fix this shit already. I'm tired of having to do this circuitous garbage with buying Gamestop PSN codes just to add wallet funds, because your crappy system can't discern a Credit Card number from PI.

edited August 2012
    001-5.jpg

Kittey like Wayfarer. And zombies.
    And bats.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Sorry CJ, you just got pwned by photobucket.

Weird. Fixed?

wVEsyIc.png