As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resident Evil 6 Out Oct 2nd.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Okay so I got RE5. Any tips on a single player run? I don't have anyone to co-op with.

You've got me if you're willing to play at the max difficulty.

Same offer applies to anyone else who fancies a co-op run.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Okay so I got RE5. Any tips on a single player run? I don't have anyone to co-op with.

Remember that Sheva is just a video game character and you can't strangle her

She's pissing me off right now

No, Sheva, STOP RUNNING INTO THE FUCKING SUNLIGHT LASER BEAMS YOU DUMB BITCH

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Amazing as it seems, I haven't played RE5 yet. I kept waiting for the big bundle and when it came I forgot about it.

Is it easier or harder than RE:4 (normal mode)?

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Depends.

With a human player it is easier because you've got someone competent watching your back.

With an AI partner it is harder because you've got someone incompetent being a hindrance.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    It's easier than RE4 even if you're playing single player.

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    its only harder on MP during the QTE sections

"DID YOU MESS IT UP.. AGAIN!?"

"NO IT WAS YOU"

"FUCK YOU MARK IT WAS YOU"

and then we never talk to each other again

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    The reason Gears of War has been given ''the coop title'' is because they did it well. There are few games where I've not had to babysit the AI. The AI Teammates rarely, if ever, go down. When they did, it was sparingly, and you were usually stomping the yard anyway. I felt that they contributed well to the fight without overshining you the player. I could be wrong and it is all in my head, but that's my assessment of GoW AI. Cliff B even spoke in interviews that they took the teammate AI very seriously in all three GoW games. Even with the other aspects of the game, it just shows what a ton of polish and tweaking on a few core gameplay ideas does for a game.

I look at RE5 and the AI teammate just drops every other fight. I may be dating myself, but even the AI in Conflict games annoyed me. they got in your line of fire and spent ammo like popcorn.

Except for MegaMan, Street Fighter, or the Lost Planet IPs, it just seems like Capcom doesnt care to have a flawless execution in their games. That's my perception anyway. Maybe it's their intent to have wacky stories ported to the US? Extra Credits mentioned something in the "Other M" (?) episode about spending the extra cash to truely localize a product.

Im starting to ramble now.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    My friend and I saw the

COMPLETE

GLOBAL

SATURATION

scene a thousand times

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    The demo for Revelations is scuuuurryyy. :-O

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:
    Public Service Announcement: Resident Evil Degeneration is on Netflix Instant.
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Resident_Evil_Degeneration/70109473?trkid=496624

Additional Public Service Announcement. Resident Evil Degeneration is horrible.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote:
    http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Resident_Evil_Degeneration/70109473?trkid=496624

Better than the live action movies.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    The reason Gears of War has been given ''the coop title'' is because they did it well. There are few games where I've not had to babysit the AI. The AI Teammates rarely, if ever, go down. When they did, it was sparingly, and you were usually stomping the yard anyway. I felt that they contributed well to the fight without overshining you the player. I could be wrong and it is all in my head, but that's my assessment of GoW AI. Cliff B even spoke in interviews that they took the teammate AI very seriously in all three GoW games. Even with the other aspects of the game, it just shows what a ton of polish and tweaking on a few core gameplay ideas does for a game.

I look at RE5 and the AI teammate just drops every other fight. I may be dating myself, but even the AI in Conflict games annoyed me. they got in your line of fire and spent ammo like popcorn.

Except for MegaMan, Street Fighter, or the Lost Planet IPs, it just seems like Capcom doesnt care to have a flawless execution in their games. That's my perception anyway. Maybe it's their intent to have wacky stories ported to the US? Extra Credits mentioned something in the "Other M" (?) episode about spending the extra cash to truely localize a product.

Im starting to ramble now.

The best team AI is now, and forever will be, Sev.

Then Fixer.

Then Scorch.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

You might be better off playing with the AI at that rate. Last RE game I played was RE4 Wii Edition and I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to get used to a PS3 controller for what looks like basically the same game.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    It's easier than RE4 even if you're playing single player.

And all the bosses either suck or are that leech thing that was just annoying.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    There are tricks to playing with AI Sheva that make it more tolerable.

Don't play on Hard out of the gate, for one - that difficulty is designed for characters with highly leveled weapons (I made this mistake and stuck with it, but goddamn it was frustrating). Secondly, Sheva is much more handy with a rifle than she is with most other weapons - she'll be popping heads and moving on the way the weapon was intended, instead of pouring way too much ammo into enemies and failing to capitalize on melee like she does with every other weapon. That said, if you don't want her to waste any ammo, give her a stun baton and keep her close to you.

In fact, I can't think of any reason to tell her to be aggressive.

Don't let her hold many healing items, if any, since she's pretty liberal with them for no real benefit. Otherwise, she can be a mule for your stuff, as long as you know that she'll preferentially use weapons in her inventory in the order that she thinks is best when in ATTACK mode (which I can almost guarantee will be nothing like you want it to be), and will always attempt to use pistols first in COVER mode. Because of this, it's best to only let her hold the one weapon you want her to be using.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote:

I bought it on Blu-ray the day it came out

Look, I didn't know, okay?

And in all honesty I don't think it's that bad. Better than other big-budget CG films based on Japanese video game franchises!

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I actually enjoyed it as well, though I wish Claire had gotten a bit more screentime or, at least, a bit more of a chance to be badass. Claire kicks just as much ass as Leon; let her do more than dome a couple of zombies.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    I actually enjoyed it as well, though I wish Claire had gotten a bit more screentime or, at least, a bit more of a chance to be badass. Claire kicks just as much ass as Leon; let her do more than dome a couple of zombies.

Psh

Resident Evil 2 Leon, maybe

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

In Japan, all women are good for is making food and raising babies.

reVerse on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Oh, she shot some zombies in the head?

Hurray for her

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I admit that a roundhouse kick followed by grabbing a gun from midair is pretty badass, but that's all she did in the entire movie. The rest of her time was spent looking after the kid, being emo about her environmentalism possibly causing a zombie outbreak and being hit on by an English guy. What a compelling character arc!

• Options
    RobotSpammerRobotSpammer Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I remember the first RE fondly for doing jump scares right. Fuck those window breaking dogs in those long silent corridors.

Getting screwed by the camera was a big part of it too, you advance a bit and then, "OH GOD HUNTER."

Good times, good times. Especially in REmake where you are traversing a familiar hallway with your guard down because it is a familiar hallway. At this moment you could be thinking about the plot, ammo distribution, or what you are going to eat for dinner then, leaping Hunter out of blind side of the camera followed by dramatic music. Your brain is now functioning like it has 128mb RAM and its attempting to open Photoshop CS3.
    Like I said, good times.

As for the Sherry/Ashley topic. At first I didn't make the connection until I heard the voice several times but it appears there is a chance that the woman accompanying the new guy will be Ashley, if it hasn't been confirmed already. Not up to date with news outside this thread. I hope, I hope HARD, Sherry is in this game but after her being on the shelf for so long, I'm not counting on it for RE6.

RobotSpammer on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

Psh

Resident Evil 2 Leon, maybe

Claire does plenty fine in Degeneration when they actually give her the chance.
    skeldare wrote:
    Yeah, that was badass; I just wanted to see another scene along those lines instead of her taking a fragment of wreckage to the leg and hobbling around for a bit.
    reVerse wrote:
    I admit that a roundhouse kick followed by grabbing a gun from midair is pretty badass, but that's all she did in the entire movie. The rest of her time was spent looking after the kid, being emo about her environmentalism possibly causing a zombie outbreak and being hit on by an English guy. What a compelling character arc!

Yup; she deserved more than getting saddled with another useless kid.

Also, Carolyn Lawrence (Ashley's RE4 voice actress) has confirmed that she is not reprising her role as Ashley in RE6:

So either it's Ashley with a new VA, or a different character (Sherry?) The wording on her post seems to imply that it could be a different character, although it's more likely that she has no idea who the blonde woman is either and is just acting cryptic.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I'm going to be honest, the original style of the RE games is really not good compared to RE4. That fixed camera was a pain the ass

Give Sheva the bolt action rifle (I forget its name). She'll do fine with that.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    On my professional run I just gave her all the ammo but no weapons apart from the shock prod.

Worked out pretty well.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    On my professional run I just gave her all the ammo but no weapons apart from the shock prod.

Worked out pretty well.

Unlimited ammo Desert eagles. I still died a fair bit though. When your shots hit, you kick ass. But if they get through......yeah you're pretty fucked.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I only did the unlimited ammo handcannon on subsequent temple runs to grind cash for achievements.

But yeah it was pretty fun just watching everythings head explode.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    what does "popularizing for the current gen" even mean? If Gears popularized anything it was cover systems, co-op has been a feature in shooters forever and Gears just continued that tradition. Developers didn't suddenly decide once the 360 launched that they would start to phase out co-op and then Gears brought it back. Perfect Dark Zero launched with co-op, GRAW's co-op was highly acclaimed at the time. RE5 wasn't even the first co-op game in the series, Outbreak had it in 2003.

Neither Perfect Dark Zero or GRAW were built around their co-op modes, were they? PDZ was a single player game with co-op tacked on, while GRAW had its co-op mode entirely separate from single player. Gears on the other hand, was built around co-op. Everything was the same (story, characters, etc) regardless of whether you were playing single player or co-op. This is what Gears did better than any other game I can think of before it and is exactly what RE5 tried to do.

As for Outbreak, well that wasn't a shooter, was it? And it wasn't really the modern (or western) approach to co-op if I remember correctly, it was randomised, with no way to really communicate with other players. Though I should point out that the first game was strictly a single player game here. Capcom cut online out of the PAL release.

You've got it on 360, don't you? If you had the PS3 version, I'd give you a hand. I'm pretty sure I've still got my save with a few infinite ammo weapons. At that point the game becomes pretty easy and it's the f'n QTE cutscenes (with their tiny input times) that then become the biggest annoyances.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Oh, I see what you're saying now. Yeah, I remember Gears was praised for having Dom stick by you the entire time. Though I don't believe RE5 just ripped that wholesale, since you have more interactivity with Sheva than you did with Dom, and being able to push each other over obstacles and sharing an inventory was more like Leon/Ashley in RE4. So while I concede that Gears influenced having a partner throughout the story, I think Sheva wasn't so much "Let's do Dom" as "What if someone could play Ashley and she knew how to fight?"

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Nah, Ashley was all round useless, RE Zero would be a closer approximation of how they implemented the partner system (though yeah, Gears was a big influence on the direction they took). They even had a follow/wait button in single player.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    I have to be the only person in the world that didn't get kicked in the proverbial dick by the AI RE5 partner.

Everybody spouts vitriol about it and I just go "They didn't do anything horrible..."

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    I have to be the only person in the world that didn't get kicked in the proverbial dick by the AI RE5 partner.

Everybody spouts vitriol about it and I just go "They didn't do anything horrible..."

You know the part with the focused sunlight laser beams?

It took me, no lie, over an hour to do that last night. Because Sheva kept walking into the fucking beams.

• Options
    Garret DoriganGarret Dorigan "Why can't I be DLC for UMvC3?"Registered User regular
    I've, no lie as well, never had that problem.

The only problem I ever had with the AI was on professional when I would get hit (read: die) and she would get stuck on enemies while getting over to revive me, thus never reviving me.

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    Other greatest hits include both of us being at real low health, myself having a red herb, and her grabbing a green herb and healing herself only

And walking directly into the path of chainsaw and axe guys

"SHEVA!!!"

• Options
    I don't know, maybe it's because I give Sheva all the strongest weapons? I really couldn't tell you, I just never had a hard time with the AI in the main game.

BSAA Jill is another story.

"Never Hit"
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I never played non-Merc modes in RE5 a whole lot as a single player but I'm fairly sure there's a raised platform on each part of the laser puzzle that you can tell the AI to wait at while you swing the sunbeams of death around. As far as getting the AI to cooperate 100% as well as it should, though, yeah that's overall an impossible task. I can't imagine trying to do like the Desperate Escape DLC with an AI (particularly on a harder difficulty, as that is challenging enough with another player as it stands already). As people here have noted though, giving it 1-2 specific guns and no healing items goes a long way to try to make up for its shortcomings. Granted I'd personally rather escort Miss Ballistics, who at least takes commands like a well trained dog and is capable of staying out of your way, than have to put up with an inept "partner's" special brand of assistance.

Hopefully RE6 will have shown they learned a lesson and merely make the partner co-op an option rather than a mandatory drawback for single players.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    He may be talking about the sunbeam hallways, not the puzzles.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    You've got it on 360, don't you? If you had the PS3 version, I'd give you a hand. I'm pretty sure I've still got my save with a few infinite ammo weapons. At that point the game becomes pretty easy and it's the f'n QTE cutscenes (with their tiny input times) that then become the biggest annoyances.

Actually, we found out the hard way when I played through the game the first time with my friend who had played through a lot before that that none of his unlimited ammo unlocks would work until I beat the game the first time. Then after that they where fine.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Back in the day I actually beat RE:4 with no deaths to anything.

I memorized Krauser fight timing, had to since it switches button inputs on ya.

One of my prouder gaming moments.