As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] Star Wars: Out in the Black

destroyah87destroyah87 They/ThemPreferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Critical Failures
Hello fine Critical Failurens.

It's been a while since I came out of my Lurker cave and actually posted here. But it's that time again.

Looking for interest in a Star Wars game. But you already know that from the thread title. So, Details:

Four to Six players.

Set during the beginning of the dark times after the Clone War wrapped up (year-year and a half after ep3. Eventually, I’d love to go to New Hope and beyond.)

The idea I’m working on is to have the party all be part of or just joined a single freighter crew. (The idea came from me thinking. “Man, Firefly sure is cool. But it’d be better if it happened in a Galaxy far far away.) – Which is why I want to have connected backstories and collaborative generation as below. There will be space encounters and the like, I'd try to aim for a 65-35 spilt character/starship scale encounters. The Rebellion and other movements will feature as the story unfolds.

I’d prefer to wait on character generation until the roster is set, to encourage interweaving of backstories. Please feel free to chime in with what race, class, and character idea you might be interested in playing however.

Once the roster is set, all classes are open; naturally Jedi and other Force traditions are scarce in this time period so 1-2 Forcey types at most. All other classes are wide open. Any race that is prominent in the Dark Times area is free game.

So, speak up. Thoughts, questions, concerns, Good Idea, Horrible Idea, or Meh Idea.

steam_sig.png
destroyah87 on

• Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    rusty old freighter, running around in a galaxy far far away. possibly trying to make end meet in the middle of a rebelion and a heavy handed empire. sounds like a smuggler campaign and a great idea. I'm soo down for that. now I'd have to sit down and think about what race I'd want to play in this kind of game,and which class; scout/smuggler, force sensitive, doubt I'd want to be a noble. darn for forgeting my thumb drive with my saga books on it at home.

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Star Wars games are falling out of the sky these days! I'd love to play if I could.

Character concept incoming.

Edit: How many short concepts are we allowed to submit?

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Definitely going for a droid. Ship's mechanic, independent even for an R2 unit, probably a mix of scoundrel and scout.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote:
    Star Wars games are falling out of the sky these days! I'd love to play if I could.

Character concept incoming.

Edit: How many short concepts are we allowed to submit?

You can spitball as many concepts as you want. I won't select players by quantity but quality.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I've got an idea for a Jedi character. I'll probably post a concept tomorrow.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ship entirely crewed by independant droids would be funny.

Thinking

Human from Myrkr force sensative who never knew it because the of the planet he grew up on, maybe scout to act as a pilot

second idea

I'd say gungan but that would probably get me banned from the forums for a month, so maybe a bothan smuggler, a trader of goods and information

Third Idea, to go along the droid thing, as that would be cool to

independant droid probably a class four droid go soldier or scout, maybe run off an assasin or battle droid chasis

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    @destroyah87 you should come chat with us in #Darktimes on slashnet. We discuss Saga stuff in there regularly.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest here.

Droid PC's do not interest me very much at all.

Droids, even independent droids are just one step above property in the Star Wars galaxy. So not exactly something I find fun to run and explore.
    Just too much associated baggage with droids.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    I like the idea of seeing the Dakr Times from the mind of another GM.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    How about a Duros mechanic? Devoted to 'her' ship, but fond of her shipmates as well. Smooth-tongued, but not too great with a fist or a blaster rifle, though that's not to say she can't contribute well in combat, just not on the front lines so much.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Ben Kolsen: Human Jedi.

Quick Background: Ben was a Padawan during the Clone Wars. He felt most at home in his jedi starfighter, dogfighting against the best the CIS could throw at him. Much to the chagrin of his master, Ben reveled in the fight, either at the controls of his fighter, or rushing into battle, lightsaber blazing in his hands.

When Order 66 was proclaimed, Ben did not hesitate to fight back. He and his master were with only a small contingent of scout troopers when the order was given, and managed to dispatch their now-enemies with relative ease. However, while trying to stow away on a transport, Ben's master was cut down when he was caught. For the first time in his life, Ben had to run away from a fight.

With nowhere else to go, Ben made contact with his family on Chandrila. Even after not seeing them since he was a small child, they readily took him in...the fighting spirit Ben possessed was a trait of all his family. Blood would always be thicker than any other ties they might have had. Pursued by the Empire's Inquisitors, his family hid him...hoping to let him hang up his lightsaber and move on with life. The Empire found him eventually, and in an act of sacrifice, almost his entire immediate family stood their ground, fighting back and holding the hunters off long enough for Ben to escape. As far as he knows, they all died.

Because of all this loss, Ben holds a lot of anger towards the Empire. He trusts very few people now, and had employed some...unjedi-like tactics in his endeavors to strike back at his enemies. He struggles with the temptations of the Dark Side at all turns, and doesn't always persevere.

He spends a lot of time in cantinas...either looking for work, or if he's drunk enough, starting fights.

Edit: Picture of Ben
    Zayne.jpg

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    For Your Consideration:

Concept 1 is a Togorian acting the "Jayne" role in your Firefly analogy. Gnarsh has been plying the spacelanes since he was in his early adulthood. While not the sharpest tool in the box, Gnarl is usually the biggest and strongest. He's worked as an enforcer, a mercenary, a bodyguard and a pirate. He likes the piracy jobs the most. Something about wrapping his talons around a quad laser cannon, boarding a ship and taking from the weak because he is strong really appeals to Gnarsh's sensabilities. Not a particualy evil or bloody minded being, Gnarsh is a firm beleiver in "might makes right". Soldier class with an an emphasis on hurting things, in a gun turret or face to face. Soldier class, with an emphasis on ship to ship actions.

Concept 2 is a Duros trader. Kern Moota is, was, a legitimate trader. He once was the owner of a small trading company that had a lucrative contract running military shipping goods for the GAR. Mostly medical supplies, foodstuffs and non-vital comminucations (although the clones didn't get a whole lot of mail) to the troops in the field. Kern handled most of the day to day operations himself, piloting one of the frieghters himself and keeping tabs on two other franchisees. It was a challenge staying afloat, but one Kern enjoyed. At the the end of the war, and the subsequent rise of the Empire and its human-centric policies, Kern somehow found himself ousted from his own company! All assets seized (his ship!) and handed over to his human "partners" by the Empire, Kern was handed a pittance of credits for his company and sent on his way by the government he once served. Now spends his days drinking in starport cantinas waiting for another opportunity to ply the spacelanes. Soundrel class, excellent pilot/navigator, a head for business and losing respect for the law by the day.

Both of these concepts are well travelled. I'm open to any back stories interweaving with mine.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Zevoto: Mon Calamari Noble/Jedi

cilghal.jpg

As a child on Dac with her parents Zevoto was disocvered by a Master Kit Fisto who believed that she had great force potential. Despite their initital misgivings Master Fistro eventually convinced them to allow their daughter to venture out into the galaxy to see what she could discover. She was brought to the Jedi Temple on Coruscant where she underwent the training that would one day allow her to become a padawan and then a Jedi.

At age twelve Zevoto had still not been chosen by as a padawan and it was decided by the Reassignment Council that she should be placed in another area of service. She requested service with the Medical Corps in the hopes that she would be able to save lives with her hands rather than taking them with a lightsaber. For the next six years she lived and studied in the Halls of Healing learning all that she could about practical medicine and the healing powers of the force.

Her training was turly put into practice when the Clone Wars broke out of with the Battle of Genosis. With so many battles raging on so many worlds field surgeons were a vital need and Zevoto was one of the best. She volounteered to serve on the front and she remained in service throughout the war saving countless. The last thing she expected was to have her troopers open fire on her wile she was trying to save one of their compatriots.

It had been years since she'd used a lightsaber but Zevoto managed to keep herself from being ripped apart by blaster fire long enough to make her escape. She made her way to Dac and hid among her own people for several weeks plotting her next move. In the new order she knew her chance for surivival was limited and her opportunities to escape would be few. She signed on as a medical officer with the first freighter headed for the Outer Rim that she could find.

Mechanics: Zevoto will have one level of Jedi and the rest will be pumped into Noble. I'm planning to make her a great healer, she will be the one with the wisdom to know when it is time to run.

I could see Zevoto and Ben knowing each other since they were both living in the temple on Coruscant. It'd make sense for two followers of the Jedi tradition in hiding to want to stick together to watch out for one another.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    I like it Sak...agreed that they would know each other.

Steel I like your Duros concept. I could even see Ben knowing him since he hangs out with the....seedier...sorts now. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It'd make sense that a trader who carries supplies during the clone war would have some contact with a jedi and a medic who were on the front lines.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Yeah, that totally works out, I like it!

Kern could easily have met some Jedi taking delivery of his supplies, on contested planets. Medics especially. And after the war, Ben and Kern would totally have raised a pint together to drown thier sorrows. Kern is a supporter of the Jedi as well, and would have no problem keeping any secrets from the authorities. With all the wrong that was done to him, he doesn't beleive that the Jedi betrayed the Republic and got what they deserved. Maybe we're not drinking of Coruscant, though.

• Options
    Human Dara Sylton is a former Imperial agent, who was dumped by the intelligence service during a mission through the machinations of a rival operative. Once she found out, she vowed to get revenge—not just on the agent who destroyed her career, but the system that allowed it to happen, exiling her from everything she knew. Dara's thrown in with the Rebellion wholesale, and the skills she's picked up as a spy, both with field prowess and tactical knowledge, will serve them well.

• Options
    Thinking more on my first idea.

Human Male from the planet Myrkr named Vin Zhan

Vin grew up in the shadow of one of the great forests that occupied most of the landmass of Myrkr. His family was a large one, he has several older brothers and sisters. and his parents ran a small farm. They grew food and hunted in the forrest to supply one of the cantinas in Hyllyard City. For a child growing up in the shadow of a forest containing the Vornskr, Vin had a pretty normal childhood.

He went to school, helped on the farm, and learned how to survive in the forest. It wasn't until he was fifteen that things changed, the family farm was attacked. The attack came just after sun up as the family was just starting to wake. Vornskr came out of the trees in a rush, killing most of the livestock the family kept in the first minute of the attack. After that the Vornskr targeted the main house and the family. Both his older brothers and his parents were killed before help from Hyllyard city arrived.

The first reaction by the security team from Hyllyard city was confusion, it was morning, this area of the forest was usually safe because of the hunting that this and other farms in the area did, and even then Vornskr rarely attack human habitations in mass like this. Even the way the attack happened, quickly killing the animals, but then ignoring them and going for the fortified house and attacking the people inside.

Still working on this but yeah that's what I'm thinking

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Got a few interested folks, that's good.

But nobody to wear the captain's hat so far.

Who'll be my Captain Tightpants?
    (intentionally phrased for maximum awkwardness)

Does no one want to ply the space lanes, having adventures and thumbing noses at the Empire?

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought Kern would make for a pretty good browncoat wannabe :)

He's growing into his bitterness and getting desperate enough to run scams across the scars.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I do, but I wanted to be a pilot, and the other ideas were good so I though I would make one of them take the responsiblity and thus be free like a leaf on the wind :)

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    I thought Kern had the makings of a good captain.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    No! none of you are the captain. You're not worthy, You'd ruin the artfully crafted story I've painstakingly, uh ... crafted.

Obviously Kidding.
    Not enough :P on the internet.

I just wanted to make a post and make the Captain Tightpants joke.

Naturally, once I get a couple more submissions, I'll pick the roster and can decide who's got the most Captain in em.
    And no I don't mean Captain Morgan.

But seriously, it shouldn't matter too much on way or the other. I don't see the crew as being a paragon of military discipline or being properly respectful of the chain of command.
    Makes for better banter that way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    we're not worthy, we're not worthy

from your posts your the kind of GM I want to game with.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    I've got a noble concept I'm toying around with. Will hopefully get a post up tomorrow.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Heir has to play two characters.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    NNOOOOooooo....

If Heir plays two character I don't think I will get to be a leaf. I want to be a leaf.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    so we still waiting or something?

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    SilverBonesSilverBones The Ruined King North Bay AreaRegistered User regular
    Man, I would love to play a Saga Edition game, but I am slammed right now. Can you keep me listed as a reserve character for later on down the line?

[ B E A R ]
    I used to be a King;
    now I drag my Throne

GM of Gamma World - In the Shadow of Zeus - [INFO THREAD] - [OOC]
    Player of Gaan Ir'Molo in Star Wars: Out in the Black
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    And by later on down the line, he means when you kill off one of your players.

• Options
    Man, I would love to play a Saga Edition game, but I am slammed right now. Can you keep me listed as a reserve character for later on down the line?

Sure will. As long as I don't have so many players that I can't give enough focus to each, I'll always entertain letting more people join the game.

... "too many players." Would that I could have such a 'problem.'
    daniant wrote:
    And by later on down the line, he means when you kill off one of your players.

Are you volunteering?

Just waiting for any more people to express interest and think about ideas. The thread's only been up five days. Plus, I'm learning from past mistakes and spending more time up front planning out where I want to this campaign to go. Some of my games I've had a good opening scene, but been brought down by lack of forethought and focus not long after that. Determined to not have that happen again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sod it. I am going to propose a character for this game anyways. Dani has to join in with a Mon Calamari Fish-Demon though.

Okay... I am thinking a near-human scoundrel (human for all intents and purposes). He is not so much of a sneaky assassin type, but more of a lovable rogue. Bit of a dodgy sort with all sorts of computer skills and the like but fairly handy with a blaster too. He's the talky one who can make deals.

[ B E A R ]
    I used to be a King;
    now I drag my Throne

• Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    I'm already a Mon Calamari Fish Demon in Arc's game.

Chris, I would love to play and get violently murdered, but I just committed to Arc's and psolm's games. I think I'm out of ideas for characters, to be honest.

However, if you ever need a character to appear for a brief interlude, I'm open to that.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Well, all I can say to you, Dani, is this;

"GOOOODDDD LUUUUCCK!" (Internal Joke :P)

Edit: So I did a bit more of a filled out description for my guy too.

Gaan Ir’Molo

A near-human scoundrel with a taste for fine things, fast women and dangerous jobs. At least that is what most people are told. Truth is that Gaan is a survivalist. He is a lucky, somewhat underhanded survivalist, but his penchant for staying alive can not be denied. He does love his job, being that it is a good way to get rich, but he also has some roguish values on top of that. Besides his good looking grin and somewhat devilish personality, he is also a decent sort, prone to impulsive decisions based on moral upstanding, although he always questions why he would do such a thing.

Gaan is slightly blue in color, his hair is a fine, and well-groomed mane of dark blue and his eyes a piercing yellow. Other than that, he is not much different than your average human. His talents make him very skilled with smuggling (his main method of being less than legal) and he has a fair talent in the blaster as well. Quick to draw but hesitant to kill, Gaan always shoots first.

…Just usually for the legs, followed by an expedited retreat.

SilverBones on

[ B E A R ]
    I used to be a King;
    now I drag my Throne

• Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Ah! Ah! I didn't see this. Hammering out a concept really fast, but I need to be getting ready for work, but I really wanna play some Star Wars Firefly. I hope it's not too late!

Big. Just-freaking-big is the best way to describe Ulsk, the Quarren master-at-arms. He took the traditional career path for ham-fisted spacers; he spent a few years working freight, spent a couple of years in a planet's private military before parting ways there and getting back into the shipping lanes. He probably acts a little slower than he actually is, and he's often the first to speak up and the last to be agreed with. Greedy, but not sadistic, and hardworking because he knows that it's the best way to get paid. Ulsk Would probably be a combination of Scout and Soldier, and be kept around for the heavy lifting, tracking, surviving in the wilderness, and of course being the big and dumb kind of scary that keeps people in check.

Then we have Uomo Tehr, former noble of the Tempani sector. When the empire chose sides and several large houses were eliminated, Uomo's family fell with them: his father's holdings were seized and much of his family lost without the protection of the great houses. Charming, quick, and living in the moment, Uomo was young when his family fell, and in the mean time, he's been doing what he can to survive. Hopefully even prosper. With no home left, he finds himself in the stars, looking for whatever members of House Tehr he could still locate. He'd likely be a Noble/Scoundrel/Soldier combo, shooting for a character that could serve as captain

So there. I can definitely elaborate on either and try to tie some threads with other characters and what not, but I wanted to get in some basic concepts to show my interest!

piL on
  • Options
    I dig the idea of having a Quarren and a Mon Calamari in the same party.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    Especially since the Mon Cal civil war just happened a little while ago, right?

• Options
    Yeah I could see there being some fun tension there.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Would you be doing this on a point-buy basis, or rolling randoms?

[ B E A R ]
    I used to be a King;
    now I drag my Throne

• Options
    Oooh I like.

camo_sig2.png