As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Following the [Redline] to the Sun - Out in all regions!

Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punkhedge witchRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Social Entropy++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2H_FsmxWzc

The greatest work of Japanese animation in decades is now out on BluRay (EDIT: and DVD, but the HD is so worth watching that I almost forgot to mention it) in America, and most other regions either now or soon, seeing how Manga Entertainment is UK based.

A general story summary goes as such: JP, an underdog racer, ends up getting into the toughest race in the galaxy - the Redline. The Redline is held every five years, and this Redline is especially dangerous because it's on the fascist cyborg planet of Roboworld, whose government is not particularly approving. In fact, the Roboworld government decides to set their entire military's sights on stopping the race. Pedal hits metal, and things get crazy.

Stylistically, it's like a mash-up of Heavy Metal, The Cannonball Run, and Dead Leaves. See the above video. It's directed by Takeshi Koike (who is, in my opinion, the most talented animator currently active in Japan), previously known for his work on directing and key animation for the Animatrix's World Record. He put over six years of work into this film with the help of half the studios in the industry, and my god, it shows. Every frame was hand animated by Japan's finest, with Koike himself doing key animation on almost every single scene. It is something to behold. Also, the story is a good deal better than you'd expect and the soundtrack is especially strong. I recommend the Japanese audio track, but the dub isn't particularly bad at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnY_RgdTlZo

In short, this movie is a thing of absolute beauty. If you're an anime fan, it's mandatory viewing. If you're not an anime fan and you're wary of anything even vaguely Japanese after being traumatized by some awful anime recommendation? Don't worry, this is the kind of thing that was written just for you - seriously, it was, according to the writers and directors, written with Americans in mind! This film actually flopped in Japan because (alongside a minimal advertising budget) it was so unconventional that Japanese otaku, being the picky bastards they are, passed it up because there are no girl panties to ogle and no beta male high schoolers for the audience to instantly and comfortably imprint on. This film puts so much hair on the chest that I feel like Japanese nerds got scared because it'd break their razors. So yeah, watch it.

Mortal Sky on

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    This is an anime thread so it wont last long but!!! lemme just use this space to say 'get this movie'

'it is great'

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Anime threads are allowed if they go specifically into one series, and we keep them sane. And given how Redline deliberately eschews the tropes that got the anime thread here permalocked, this should be cool.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    this looks like watanabe and koike had a bukake baby with gainax and I need to see it

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I saw a good chunk of this but gave up because it was pretty bad

0BnD8l3.gif
    Dichotomy, how does it feel to not have a soul?

I fail to see how that is relevant

0BnD8l3.gif
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    This movie is pretty amazing.

Shit come to think of it there were supposed to be some theatrical showings in NYC sometime in january I gotta find out of I missed that shit.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    @Tommy2Hands

This is that movie that that gif we saw on tumblr with the smoking people and you were like "what is this movie" and I took it upon myself to google it and find out it was this

It's this Connor

lfYVHTd.png
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    Anime threads are allowed if they go specifically into one series, and we keep them sane. And given how Redline deliberately eschews the tropes that got the anime thread here permalocked, this should be cool.

The last single-series thread I saw was DBZ which got locked immediately but good luck anyway, I'm not a mod or anything uwu

When I saw this in Japanese theaters, it was the greatest thing ever. The visuals look so good on actual film. So. Good. And I even got a little film strip from the film (a few frames from the scene where the car spins out mid-jump) as a free bonus with my ticket. Plus the soundtrack is so pumping that only big speakers do it such perfect justice.

Mortal Sky wrote:

The last single-series thread I saw was DBZ which got locked immediately but good luck anyway, I'm not a mod or anything uwu
    I guess it also depends on the mod. I know DnD had a long-running One Piece thread.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    If you aren't dumb and people don't act dumb you can pretty much have a cool fun thread about anything, here.

Just like I said

Keep your shit reasonable and in check

We have good mods

lfYVHTd.png
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I smell anime in here.

Smells like pockey.

Tallahasseeriel on
    Anyone know the name of that earlier short the director did? I recall it had something to do with the ex-Roboworld racers, and I've been meaning to watch it at some point.

JayKaos wrote:
    Anyone know the name of that earlier short the director did? I recall it had something to do with the ex-Roboworld racers, and I've been meaning to watch it at some point.
    op wrote:
    Animatrix's World Record
    ?

JayKaos wrote:
    Trava: Fist Planet. It is sadly unfinished, but what exists is pretty cool if you're an experimental animation junkie like me.

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I like anime but I never watch it unless someone who I trust tells me to watch it

This seems like one of those times

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    JayKaos wrote:
    Trava: Fist Planet. It is sadly unfinished, but what exists is pretty cool if you're an experimental animation junkie like me.

I'll have to keep my eye out for that one, sounds pretty interesting.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    JayKaos wrote:

Sweet, I'll check it out later- thanks!

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    That ending, man.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    Anime?

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    Anime. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Besides, Koiike's style is almost as much French as Japanese in a few ways.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I just ordered this shit on Blu-Ray even though I already saw it once before. It's gonna look sick on the 47"HDTV!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    gonna watch this
    SO HARD

BahamutZERO.gif
    Rewatching my Japanese copy. So many great scenes in this movie.
    Lynchman and JohnnyBoy doing the Beavis and Butthead pose is one of the funniest things ever

• Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    this movie is goddamn amazing

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    wish it had an ending though

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    what are you talking about? the ending is perfect

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    does Spike die? they've done that to me before
    (don't tell me if Spike dies or not)

BahamutZERO.gif
    Skull Man wrote:

the ending was extremely predictable.
    I KNEW the two love interests were going to end up with each other and finish at the same time, thats a given. its a racing movie. but all those other characters they put all the time into showing you got no endings, you never find out what happens to them.

tf2sig.jpg
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    this looks rad

i'm the kind of person who loves the seminal anime classics like akira/cowboy bebop/ghost in the shell/80's gundamn/anything by studio ghibli

but i hate p much every other anime ever

so is this one of those outliers that transcends a shitty genre? i also hear berserk is really good

reposig.jpg
    if you like some anime, chances are its not all shit. thats like saying all people of one race are terrible people except this one really cool one you know. chances are you just haven't met the right ones

tf2sig.jpg
  • ScolbertScolbert Registered User regular
    Wren wrote:
    Skull Man wrote:

the ending was extremely predictable.
    I KNEW the two love interests were going to end up with each other and finish at the same time, thats a given. its a racing movie. but all those other characters they put all the time into showing you got no endings, you never find out what happens to them.

well if your so interested in them you can ship them yourself!

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I love this movie

so much

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    this is gonna be one of those things isn't it where I'm the only one who doesn't like it and everyone thinks I'm crazy and accuses me of doing it just to be contrarian

0BnD8l3.gif
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Dichotomy why you gotta do a thing

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Anjin-San wrote:
    Anime?

No

Aniyou

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    TLO ROLL CALL

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shit yes

I've only seen the subbed version though; didn't know there was a dub yet