As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archer [Phalla] Game Over. Retaba (VI), Village Wins- Host Error! Host Has Egg on Face!

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    The best think about this phalla was the sex and how open about it everyone was. I think most if the PMs I sent/received would be hilarious out of context.

Cayrus on
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote:
    Thanks for the fun times, daniant! It's tough to balance Phalla, it's always a learning experience. <3

Also INANTP sorry for thinking you might be mafia after I told you Spoit's role and he died that day. :P

Yeah, I had that thought too until I talked to Vert and got it cleared up. I knew one of the ravens (corvidae or lucedes) was bad when I was talking to a still living spoit.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    vertrouevertroue I am Female Totes Not a SithRegistered User regular
    Oopsheheheheeheh I am so not an SK

Blood and Fire
    From the Desk of Darth Vertroue Diplomat to the USA.
  • Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    mafia boards should be unlocked.

http://friendzone.proboards.com/index.cgi

for context, the original mafia board was "herpes inc.proboard/yada yada yada"

for some reason, jdarksun felt it would be inappropriate to show up in his browser history at work. no idea why though.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Turkson wrote:
    facetious wrote:
    Thanks for the fun times, daniant! It's tough to balance Phalla, it's always a learning experience. <3

Also INANTP sorry for thinking you might be mafia after I told you Spoit's role and he died that day. :P

Yeah, I had that thought too until I talked to Vert and got it cleared up. I knew one of the ravens (corvidae or lucedes) was bad when I was talking to a still living spoit.
    You were saying lucedes when I was still alive, but yeah

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I had so much fun with the ways I'd proposition people.

The PM between Spoit and myself was particularly hilarious.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    I was trying to find the mafia the entire game, meh all I got was on of the goody goodies..booo

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    Oh, also, two things that made my day:

Stever was Pam and couldn't find someone to sex up for a day and a half. Kept getting rejected. So great in the context of the show (Pam is bi and spends most of her time trying to get laid).

And then this gem:
    (From Citizen): Quick note, I got no cash as my partner died and someone has been/is being mind controlled(my rabbit is freaking out).
    (From Akimbo): wh-what?

what does that rabbit thing mean

Keep in mind that Citizen is Trinette, the hooker. Wildly inappropriate.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Most of us didn't sleep around, given after the first night we figured out it told you who your character was and the fact condoms simply made you suspicious. Of course, not sleeping with anyone also made you look guilty, which put us in a bit of a pickle.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    facetious wrote:

>:(((((

Thanks for the game daniant! Really neat concept overall, wish I'd given it more time than I did.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    corvidae wrote:
    mafia boards should be unlocked.

http://friendzone.proboards.com/index.cgi

for context, the original mafia board was "herpes inc.proboard/yada yada yada"

for some reason, jdarksun felt it would be inappropriate to show up in his browser history at work. no idea why though.

And to think, the village proboards are called "justhookers".

• Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh, so it's over? I guess I'll post the link to the mafia proboards, then. EDIT: Uh, already posted by corvidae earlier. I am easily distracted.

Quite unfortunate about the blatant imbalance. I had expected there to be some sort of downside to the sex mechanic for villagers, but it appears the features that would have provided some balance to the mechanic were not implemented in time for the game. Judging from the list of excised mechanics and features, and drawing from my own experience from hosting Turnabout Phalla, it's an important lesson to take away that all planned features are implemented for a robust experience for its players.

However, despite the imbalances in gameplay, I am always appreciative of good hosting, and daniant, you continue to be one of the most dedicated and attentive hosts out there. I'll look forward to your next game!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote:
    Most of us didn't sleep around, given after the first night we figured out it told you who your character was and the fact condoms simply made you suspicious. Of course, not sleeping with anyone also made you look guilty, which put us in a bit of a pickle.

This.

I did not suspect jdarksun or Thetheroo at all. But I am pretty bad.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    whelp

after day three i was pretty convinced corvidae was mafia

but there really wasn't much else i could do about it after soft-networking for three days

other than, you know, trust in my exponentially expanding villager network

• Options
    Dam Blarney I was trying to give the mafia another kill..lolol

Blood and Fire
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Why did you bastards kill me...Now you'll never know what i was up to.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, reading the mafia boards I was reminded. Even before Cap died red, you were kinda overplaying the whole 'trying to switch wagons' thing sportzboy

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    Thanks for hosting Daniant.
    I cant believe I was kept alive for 2 days after i was revealed as Archer though - and i was totally going to hook up with Cyth (if you hadnt killed him!)

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Thank you for killing me everybody! <3 SeGaTai hehe, my natural suspicious nature helped me out this game. It was a quick amount of fun (even with no sexings, CORVIDAE)

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    vertroue wrote:
    Dam Blarney I was trying to give the mafia another kill..lolol

You were the one who blew me up right? Was it just random or what?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Was there a lot of networking early on? I felt pretty lost with how the bandwagons were going and got incredably lucky to sleep with archer on the second day which made my role a lot more meaningful.

It was pretty fun having a seconday mechanic that everyone could do though, balance or no.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Corv, I honestly wasn't freezing you out or even -suspicious- of you til you started freaking out at me lol. I even told Bedlam to get Archer to target someone other than you, they chose to do that on their own. Then it all started to come together. Then, of course, I died :P.

I had such a headache trying to coordinate all the people contacting me >.< I think I managed to get everyone together at least, so hooray for that? If I'd have suspected any of the items were gonna be a busdriver I wouldn't have revealed. Dunno if I will again tbh, so many PMs and lies to sort through lol.

Thanks for hosting dani! I had a blast, and am now downloading season 1. Mission accomplished!

Who was Archer anyway?

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    Shiny New ToysShiny New Toys where am i? its dark in hereRegistered User regular
    I'm Spartacus - or you know Archer

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    It was my fault we lost though, my stupid "in thread" buy gave taya a reason to suspect something when there wasn't a reason before.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    It was a really fun game so...

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    less you're fault than you think sporty! it was your first right?

• Options
    I've done 4-5 total. I remember when capt was like "yea, I'm telling them I'm cheryl tunt" and I had to google to make sure that WAS cheryl/carol. Then I was like D:

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    mascara305mascara305 Registered User regular
    I had a wonderful time playing. Thanks for hosting daniant!

Don't judge me by my failures, but only by my dreams
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Despite the imbalance, I actually thought the mechanic was clever and interesting. It was a fantastic way to get the village more interested in the game. Though, admittedly, that's probably precisely why it was too powerful, since you can't really make all the village have special powers.

Nonetheless, this was definitely one of the most fun I've played, and that even included games where I had lots of powers of my own or whatever. It's always fun when there is lots of stuff to look over and analyze to see who people might be. Way to go, Dani!

I also really like the power of some of those items. If there had been some mechanic like STDs or whatever that would've prevented the village from getting it on all day every day, I think this would've become incredibly interesting to analyze in the last 2-3 days.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I really liked my role, I was sad that I didn't get to use it :(

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cythraul wrote:
    Corv, I honestly wasn't freezing you out or even -suspicious- of you til you started freaking out at me lol. I even told Bedlam to get Archer to target someone other than you, they chose to do that on their own. Then it all started to come together. Then, of course, I died :P.

I had such a headache trying to coordinate all the people contacting me >.< I think I managed to get everyone together at least, so hooray for that? If I'd have suspected any of the items were gonna be a busdriver I wouldn't have revealed. Dunno if I will again tbh, so many PMs and lies to sort through lol.

Thanks for hosting dani! I had a blast, and am now downloading season 1. Mission accomplished!

Who was Archer anyway?
    Cayrus said "if I die corv is mafia" and I read it as "corv is defiently mafia" so I wouldnt have had her change it. Besides after you gave me the target choices shiny had already gone to bed I think and said somthing in main so I was trying to cover for that.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the sleeping around mechanic, but yes it was definitely imbalanced.

I have to say, I also didn't really like that we were not allowed to talk about items or who we slept with. I understand why that rule was in place, but I was always nervous that I was breaking a rule.

Good game. Congrats to Retaba for his easy day 1 victory.

• Options
    CaptainPlanet82CaptainPlanet82 Registered User regular
    Ya. I screwed up scrambling with the cover ID. Though I was the one to brought up the mistake before anything was said about it. Didn't get me enough points. Trouble was I slept with Citizen and they found out that I used a condom to not see my role and also found out I made $200/day. Tried to make them look like the suspicious one but it would have maybe bought me a day. I think either way, I was on the way down.

For my mafia friends, it was a good attempt. We bought the hell out of the items. I bought 4 condoms on the one day. lol. Though I would say when I sunk my own ship, just stick to helping vote me out. Any comments defending me were going to get you killed. Couldn't say too much because I was scrambling between work meetings, but ya.

I was having plenty of fun with the sex requests. Before I slept with citizen, I was demanding a nice dinner first, etc. Probably could have avoided a lot of pain by just saying I had someone to sleep with already. Oh well.

Daniant, glad you came up with the theme and mechanic either way. Never seen the show but after reading wikis, it does sound entertaining. And I had fun the whole way through. But I am still a little creeped out by all your voyeurism. Perv

Help my friend realize his excellent Cyber Punk savage setting! Check out the Ronin: Chrome and Shadows Kickstarter!
  • Options
    I think the theme and mechanics were fantastic. There was obviously some imbalance, but with some tweaking this could be a great "system" or whatever. Maybe even if sleeping together could fail... "so-and-so has been pounding Tom collins all day and couldn't perform..."

Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    I had a really great time, too. I know I'm just about the least qualified person to talk about game balance, but having some characters who you would assume are good based on the name but actually be ISIS moles or something might have helped.

• Options
    http://justhookers.proboards.com/index.cgi

Citizen or someone will have to unlock them.

Steam
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Unlocked

• Options
    Out of curiosity, what would have happened if any of these secondary VCs were achieved?

Steam
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Just for the record, I wasn't trying to be a sore loser. I was locked into a situation where no matter what happened I was outed. Steering the vote onto me was the only way to try and buy time for the other mafia.

corvidae on
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Was certainly a fun premise and you certainly worked a lot of the theme into the mechanics-balance is always hard to predict. Apologies to Kime for getting him killed day 1, saw 3 votes in a row for retaba in the final hour of the day, couldn't remember any grudges so went with the phalla standby that is Kime and apparently know one but mafia checks the thread with 15 minutes left in the day.

More amusing was the confusion if I was a guy or a girl (a guy, apparently I should say Bro more often or something) and then not being able to say anything to the thread.

PSN SeGaTai