As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need something to do

Hello_11Hello_11 new member
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Posted here a few years ago with great success so I guess I will give it another shot.

During the last weeks I lost almost all interest in school and it have left me with a gigantic void of boredom after school as I don't look up/research more about the stuff talked about in school.

I also lost all interest in gaming so now I got more or less nothing to do.

So what I would need is some advice on something to do during my spare time.

I don't like to spend time with my friends and I don`t want to make any new so most social activities are not an option.
I don't have any specific skills that I can think of... except that im very good at sleeping but that just make my friends and family worried about me.

So in summary I would like some tips on what to do on my spare time.

Hello_11 on

• gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Perhaps you could get a job. But why wouldn't u want to hang out with friends?

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sorry if I am wrong...but this really seems like an alt or something just like it.

If not, lets try to help shall we?

What are your interests? You don't always need skills to enjoy a hobby. I enjoy reading a good book, what skill does that take?

Eh, give me some more proof you're real, and I'll help more.

Omnicron9999 on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How much money are you willing to throw at this? Maybe some sport will do you good.

And finding a job, that keeps me busy! (D=)

Aldo on
  • CpgnitionCpgnition Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm sure someone will mention it -- those sound like signs of depression.

Read a book on something you enjoy or want to learn about. If you don't have anything you enjoy try:

Cosmology:
    "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking
    "A Brief History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson

Religion/Atheism/Philosophy:
    "The End of Faith" and "Letter to a Christian Nation" by Sam Harris
    "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

Evolutionary Biology: "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins

Entertainment:
    "The Zombie Survival Guide" by Max Brooks
    "The Alphabet of Manliness" by Maddox
    "1984" by George Orwell

Learn to play an instrument. I started playing guitar (partially because I had nothing better to do) a year ago and it has been very rewarding.

Get a Xbox 360.

Learn to program.

Subscribe to periodicals with topics that interest you.

Start running. Work out at the gym. This really makes the day feel worthwhile, even if I spend the rest of it bumming around.

Get into a "geeky" collectible hobby. Magic The Gathering, Warhammer 40k, etc.

I'd really suggest finding some interesting and engaging friends. Passing time in the company of others is usually preferable to wallowing in isolated boredom.

Contemplate how this is the only time you'll exist. "That it will never come again, is what makes life so sweet." -Emily Dickinson

Also, masturbate.

Cpgnition on
  • CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10IWU_XDPk

Practice until you can do this. Should keep you occupied.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Hello_11Hello_11 new member
    edited February 2007
    gneGne wrote: »
    Perhaps you could get a job. But why wouldn't u want to hang out with friends?

I go to school from 08:00 - 16:00 every day so a job is not really an option, I do work on weekends sometimes tho.

"What are your interests?"
    My biggest interest is data gathering and archiving, but the problem with that is that I have already archived all the data I could think of in my surrounding.

Got plenty of money so thats not really a problem, painting warhammer/PVC figures sounds like a good idea tho.

Hello_11 on
  • CpgnitionCpgnition Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hello_11 wrote: »
    Got plenty of money so thats not really a problem, painting warhammer/PVC figures sounds like a good idea tho.

If you're into the arts, maybe get a sketch pad or a few canvases and supplies? Turning on some music and transferring your mind to paper/canvas can be therapeutic. The same can be said for playing an instrument.

Another thing I just thought of, which isn't for everyone, heh. Sometimes I'll set obscure goals for myself with a predefined time duration. The last one I did was "eat less than 1500 calories a day, run every day, and practice guitar every day." I usually choose to make them something that will "better" myself, but it doesn't have to be. Just a test of will power, mostly. It adds some sort of goal to daily life, however useless, heh.

Edited for clarity.

Cpgnition on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

My biggest interest is data gathering and archiving, but the problem with that is that I have already archived all the data I could think of in my surrounding.

Just out of professional curiosity, what kind of hobby is that???

Librarian on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Librarian wrote: »

Just out of professional curiosity, what kind of hobby is that???

One that makes Freud happy in the pants.

Hello_11: going out of a limb here, but have you considered that the image you create of yourself here isn't really making us think of things that would be fun to do, but more of things that you need to do to get your life back on track?

I mean, how old are you anyway? =/

Aldo on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Depression is the first thing that came to my mind too when I read your post. You say you've lost interest in everything in your life and don't want to participate in any social activities? And your friends and family are worried about you? A new hobby is most likely not going to do anything - you should look into getting help.

P.S. ...Data archiving? Like what, for example?

Zek on
  • SpackleSpackle Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    what about music? Try out a musical instrument. Guitar, keyboard, piano, drums...I dunno.

Spackle on
    Taco Bell does win the franchise war according to the tome of knowledge that is Demolition Man. However, I've watched Demolition Man more then a few times and never once did I see WoW. In conclusion Taco Bell has more lasting power then WoW.
    D&D Metal Thread: HERE
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Publish your data.

Obs on
  • Omnicron9999Omnicron9999 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well it seems like you are for real, so I apologize for the ALT comment.

You mentioned the large amount of time spent at school. I am sure there is some kind of group, club, or sport you could get involved in. They are always a great way to meet people and have some fun (provided your school has something you like).

Omnicron9999 on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If I had a lot of disposable time, at the moment right now, I would look at things I wouldn't mind doing later in life, or maybe even doing for a living later in life, and try it out. Training to cook, paint or do art, act, code, or other skill intensive things are practical ways to waste time if you're in a depressing don't care about shit mood. Even if you don't get terribly much into it, maybe when you're older you'll look back and think, "I wish I knew how to..."

piL on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Drawing.

It was out of sheer boredom that I picked it up last year, and now i'm going to major in art (mainly digital).

Sucks up an assload of time, but if you practice it right you'll get rediculously good in no time at all.

Godfather on
  • locomotivemanlocomotiveman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Someone mentioned publishing your data and if it is something that others would find interesting that sounds like a good route. You could always get into something like photography either film or digital. In fact since you already have a huge amount of data stored there may be a good way to combine the data and the photography. I can understand wanting to have data, but when its something that interests me I try to get it out to others with a similar interest.

locomotiveman on
    aquabat wrote:
    I actually worked at work on Saturday. Also I went out on a date with a real life girl.

Can you like, permanently break the forums?
  • TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It does sound like it could be some depression, but a lot of people go through that.

For about a year in high school I felt that way...most of the things I'd do were boring and I felt like video games, etc. were just a waste of time.

Eventually I came to the conclusion that I need to be productive: it doesn't matter what I do, but I need to accomplish something every once in awhile. So, after that, I got into amateur film-making and photography, I picked up drawing again, I taught myself some web design, I started reading more, and I committed to finishing video games that I started.

I don't do all that shit every day, but it's nice to have a variety of options for my free-time.

It might be different for you, but I thought I'd contribute my experience because....I, too, appreciate the value of some organized and efficient data. :P

(I'm serious. I have almost 6,000 pictures from my digital camera labeled with who's in them, what they're doing, and when/where it was taken)

Taximes on
  • ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    There are Data Miners and then there are Data Processors.

Obs on