As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ravnica Resurgence: Magic the Gathering

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    That's what I thought yesterday but I missed the word "total" today. Where is my mind?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    get 4 kodamas reach and run them, it's even more important than the troll

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    and then, you attack, untap it leaving it in combat and tap him giving him another +20/+20.

Put that up with the card that gives death touch and lure and you're made in the shade.

• Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    it can't tap to its own effect though

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:
    and then, you attack, untap it leaving it in combat and tap him giving him another +20/+20.

Put that up with the card that gives death touch and lure and you're made in the shade.

Man I don't even need that. I just need him the same time I have

121.jpg

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    i just started playing this game and reading this thread makes me feel like i ain't know shit about it.

it's fun though, my roommate is really good and is helpful when making decks.

i'm running a white human innistrad deck right now, looking forward to DA

• Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I hear EDH isn't very fun playing 1v1 true/not true

• Options
    it's pretty boring imo

i played EDH exclusively this summer and it was only fun when we had at least 3 people

• Options
    Melding wrote:

121.jpg

i don't think that would necessarily work, also, is a dick move in a multiplayer game.

• Options
    Why wouldn't it work?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    magic is entirely predicated on dick moves

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote:
    magic is entirely predicated on dick moves
    this is the best description of MTG i've ever heard.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    that's also my new progressive alt punk ska rock group's name

• Options
    drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

Mayael's Aria

i don't think that would necessarily work, also, is a dick move in a multiplayer game.

it works as long as you have a creature of at least five power to trigger the enchantment in the first place (the troll does this quite nicely)

once it triggers, you can respond by tapping a bunch of creatures to pump the troll +20/+20, and then when the enchantment's effect resolves it sees a 20 power creature, winning him the game

edit:...I think, but now you have me looking it over and re-reading it and I'm starting to doubt myself

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Could you tap in between the counters going on and it checking to see if you have a 20?

I assume you could but there are all sorts of finicky things in magic that don't exactly make sense.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote:
    I hear EDH isn't very fun playing 1v1 true/not true

depends
    if the other player is running blue 1v1 can be very not fun

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Airking850Airking850 Ottawa, ONRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure you could pump the troll in response to the enchantment trigger

also, Innistrad was looking like it might be my favourite block ever (previous was Tempest; missed Ravnica) but Dark Ascension looks so ...bleh

• Options
    this si why i said i don't think it would work. I can argue both, but as it seems since it triggers at the beginning of your turn that is reasonably when it checks as well, since there is no way to have it a 25/25 at the start of your turn you can't do that.

But then you start arguing "well what if i do it in response" and so on. In short, ask a judge,

• Options
    mayael's aria happens sequentially, so you can tap to pump troll after the +1/+1, but before the 20 power check

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    SLyM wrote:
    Could you tap in between the counters going on and it checking to see if you have a 20?

I assume you could but there are all sorts of finicky things in magic that don't exactly make sense.

no because that's in the middle of an ability resolving, and nothing can happen during that time

buuuut I believe it would still work because Wizards' ruling says "The three parts of the ability happen sequentially. For example, if you control a creature with 9 power when the ability starts to resolve, you'll put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control -- and now, since you control a creature with 10 power, you'll gain 10 life." meaning that while it would trigger when the troll only had 5 power, by the time it started doing stuff the troll would be at more than 20 so it would go through all three parts of the effect and win you the game

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    At the beginning of your upkeep, a trigger goes on the stack saying "pump then gain life maybe then win maybe". The trigger itself is atomic (nothing can happen between the three steps), but while the trigger is on the stack everyone has a chance to play abilities.

Airking850 on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I have never understood priority in magic.

I am aware that it exists, and that it determines who can play spells first at any particular time but I have no goddamn fucking idea how it works or who has it when.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    actually yeah nevermind, it's all one trigger resolving not 3

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    it's a deep rabbit hole.

That is why just doing stuff without giving people a chance to respond is a bad thing, and it results in you losing a tournament game because someone shocked your psyatog.

• Options
    So I can't do it?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    no you can it works

just have to specify that you're pumping the troll in response to the Aria's ability going off

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    you can tap in response to the mayael trigger if you have 10 power in creatures other than troll
    but you don't get the +1/+1 bonus to all your creatures from mayael's first effect

otherwise you'd only need a 5 power and a 3 power (bloodbraid elf...!)

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Alright.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    no but okay take out banefires, gift of the gargantuan

put in 4x bloodbraid elf, 4x kodama's reach, then some kind of CA like one more drumhunter or something

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Priority (In two-player Magic):

During each phase and whenever the stack changes, the person whose turn it is has the doing-things conch then they pass it to the other player. If neither of them choose to do anything then the game state advances.

• Options
    4x Cultivate might be slightly easier if you don't have Kodama's Reaches

but then I don't know how hard Kodama's Reach is to find, just that Cultivate does exactly the same thing and has been printed more recently

a1o1MZu.jpg
  • Options
    whoa they reprinted kodama's reach, i forgot about that

but yeah either of them are like 10 cents each so w/e

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    Oh my god you fuckers started a MTG thread and didn't call me I am so angry

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
    i was gonna say we needed bc
    but then i didn't

but we did

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Hm, I put Banefire in there for a specific reason but now I can't think why. I guess I'll toss it in the sidedeck until I remember why and can re-evaluate its worth.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Seriously guys, you can ask me anything MTG related and I will answer it.
    Hell, post or PM me decklists and I'll even try to give them a once over.

I'm kind of a huge competitive player but I've got like 5 Commander decks and a bunch of casual stuff to bust out and I am just completely in love with this game.

Oh, and to all the people who think Legacy is nothing but a coinflip: You are wrong. So very, very, incredibly wrong.

• Options
    nightmarenny I'm not sure what kind of decks you're playing against but some Mycoid Shepherds would make your deck a lot more resilient to aggressive strategies, which your deck might have trouble with because you don't build any board until turn 3 or 4 at the earliest.

• Options
    Yeah I just kinda bit my tongue on that legacy discussion.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    land, birds of paradise
    land, kodama's reach
    land, bloodbraid elf

mmmmm

also legacy is more coin flippy than like standard. and definitely more than a new set, which i was just like ? at

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    The last Star City Legacy open was won by Mono-Red burn for fuck's sake.

This discussion has been closed.