As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New batman Thread *Big Spoiler

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I also have no problem with Bale's Batman voice.

neither do i

i'm pretty sure he's actually taking cues from conroy but he's just not as skilled at it

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Goatmon wrote: »
    You are arguing that he delivers two different performances correct? One in the costume and one out?

Yes, I am indirectly suggesting that Bale presents two different performances, which is a very basic concept in a bigger argument that you continue to ignore because you wish to emphasize a pedantic detail.

I am arguing about the difference in the dynamics of Bruce Wayne in a suit, and Bruce Wayne in a Batman costume. Whether or not it is two performances, or two parts of a larger performance is not the god damned point. Jesus Christ. This is why I avoid D&D like the plague.

Ok.

Goatmon I ask that you please calm the fuck down.

I am not trying to argue a pedantic detail. I am attempting to argue against what I feel is an argument that doesn't make sense. If I am not getting your argument I'm sorry about that.

But jeeze.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I'd argue that Bale actually does 3 different performances.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options

Are you counting his Rich guy persona?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »
    What they should've done

Instead of him trying to change his voice and someone maybe eventually figuring out who he is that way

He should've had an electronic device that turns his voice into that of another person's
    That voice is kevin conroy's

Ahaha.

No.

kevin conroy is basically the best batman voice possible though

I won't disagree there but you don't get away with voice modulation in a huge film like the ones in the Batman series.

Its a bad idea.

Maaan

I remember, when watching TAS, there was a scene where Batman is doing his thing when there's a phone call, and he just switches back to the natural voice while in the Batman costume.

It really impressed me back then, seeing the guy go from one to the other so naturally like it ain't no thing.

It's little things like that which always made me want to be a voice actor.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Are you counting his Rich guy persona?

Bruce Wayne to the public.

Bruce Wayne towards those he trusts (Alfred, Rachel, ect...)

Bruce Wayne as Batman.

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    the trailer suggests to me we won't see much of drunken playboy bruce : (

• Options
    FAQ wrote: »
    the trailer suggests to me we won't see much of drunken playboy bruce : (

What about the scene with the party and Catwoman?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    oh yeah,

well good

• Options
    Voice actors are really fucking talented.

And they need to be as they have a pretty competitive industry.

• Options
    It just occured to me that with an eight year time gap the amount of time Bruce
    Might spend under Banes care could be huge.

Years.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Voice actors are really fucking talented.

And they need to be as they have a pretty competitive industry.

Yeah, any dude who wants to make it in the business has to be extremely good.

Otherwise he'll lose his job to Steven Blum.

Goatmon on

• Options
    I don't know if I'd use Stephen Blum as the terror-benchmark in voice acting.

• Options
    Why not? He's in everything.

• Options
    edited May 2012

With the same voice.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    ok well i just got spoiled on this page without clicking a box

so i'm out

• Options

Psh....

He's no Billy West.

And he is an ant compared to Frank Welker.

• Options
    blume has done exactly one voice for forever

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

vs someone like billy west or frank welker or what's his dick that did half the voices for beast wars

• Options

so i'm out
    the 8 year thing? I guess it's not common knowledge but Chris Nolan spoke about it openly, and no ones more tight lipped than him.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

vs someone like billy west or frank welker or what's his dick that did half the voices for beast wars

Scott McNeil
    But Blum has other voices

Grunt, Amon, Jamie from Megas

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Proof that Kevin Conroy is the best Batman forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnY5Rp2uNYw

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Like, let me try again.

Everything that I could conceivably feel was lacking in Bale's portrayal of costumed Batman is ever present in non-Costume Batman. The suit is relegated to a smaller role in the film. Is that really a problem? Bruce solves mysteries and makes deductions(granted one of those is one of the worst scenes in the movie but it is there) and makes small talk with Alfred. Suited Batman is relegated to scenes in which ass is to be kicked or people are to be intimidated.

If no-suit Bruce takes up the slack and Batman still handles those things well is it really an issue?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Guys, don't mistake me. I hate hearing Blum's voice everywhere.

I was just mentioning him because he gets a shitload of work.

He doesn't get main characters often, but he does so many background characters it isn't even funny. (Seriously, it pisses me off.)

I do enjoy him as Grunt (ME) and Oghren, though, among other scattered roles

And yeah, Buttlord, that's Scott McNeil you're referring to. I'm a huge fan of his.

Dude was Rattrap, Silverbolt, Dinobot, AND Waspinator.

And none of them sound anything alike!

Pony even told a story about meeting him in person!

Goatmon on

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

Guilmon. It's just so flat out mega wrong that he has one voice, he just works so much, that the voices that sound like Spike, stand out.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    I'd argue that Bale's wayne isn't a particularly good detective

• Options

so i'm out
    the 8 year thing? I guess it's not common knowledge but Chris Nolan spoke about it openly, and no ones more tight lipped than him.

Yeah. That's basically the premise. Eight years later Batman fights Bane. Also Catwoman is involved.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DHS wrote: »

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

Guilmon. It's just so flat out mega wrong that he has one voice, he just works so much, that the voices that sound like Spike, stand out.

WHHAT

• Options
    edited May 2012

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

Yeah, that's the one voice everyone throws out, but that's a kind of voice anyone can do if they know how to work their vocal chords that way.

That is also how Scott McNeil does Waspinator. And how the VA of Garret from the thief series voiced Karras in Thief 2.

It doesn't change the fact that 99% of his roles are indistinguishably Stephen Blum. There is some variation between most of his roles, but the vast majority of them are not significantly different.

He's not a bad actor by any means, I think. I just don't notice much significant difference between the roles he typically gets called for, after having heard them all so much that they all just bleed together with very few exceptions.

Goatmon on

• Options
    I'd argue that Bale's wayne isn't a particularly good detective

I'd argue that the science is poorly done which makes Bruce come off as not a great detective.

Their are several times when Bruce show remarkably quick thinking. Like realizing that a Police Officer with a loved one in the hospital might be a danger. Not in itself an impressive deduction but that its basically "Joker makes Threat--->Alfred I need you to..." Its pretty impressive.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Also, before I forget, here's a story from Pony about McNeil.
    scott mcneil is a weird dude

i'm sort of an acquaintence of the man, a friend of mine is a good friend of his, so i've hung out with him at conventions and stuff

he's a strange man

the one time, we were sitting in the hotel bar and he was reading out loud some erotic fanfiction that was given to him earlier that day at his autograph booth by some stupid fangirl

it was beast wars erotic fanfiction, involving dinobot and rattrap (scott voiced both characters)

he was doing a dramatic reading in the proper character voices and stuff

then he decided to go off-script and it become crossover stuff with other characters he did and john wayne for some reason

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    man that watching that clip and having just re-read watchmen recent i'm reminded why i dont really like that movie at all.

• Options
    Batman tries to take down the mob.
    Batman gives comissioner gordon, irradiated bills and instructs him to get his officers to purchase drugs with them, this cash then winds it's way to the mobs banking front. They can now identify all mob run banks in the city.

A mob informant lets the bad guys know of the polices plan to seize all their assets. But Batman has already identified the orchestrator of it's removal, by setting up a fake merger with his organisation and investigating his books he's able to identify him as the mobs 'accountant'. so when he leaves with the money batman knows what happened already.

We also see him interrogating flass and the scarecrow in the first movie

He attempts to interrogate maroni and the joker but doesn't get anything out of them.

But that's kind of

the point.

It might not be holmes but it aint bad

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Batman tries to take down the mob.
    Batman gives comissioner gordon, irradiated bills and instructs him to get his officers to purchase drugs with them, this cash then winds it's way to the mobs banking front. They can now identify all mob run banks in the city.

A mob informant lets the bad guys know of the polices plan to seize all their assets. But Batman has already identified the orchestrator of it's removal, by setting up a fake merger with his organisation and investigating his books he's able to identify him as the mobs 'accountant'. so when he leaves with the money batman knows what happened already.

We also see him interrogating flass and the scarecrow in the first movie

He attempts to interrogate maroni and the joker but doesn't get anything out of them.

But that's kind of

the point.

It might not be holmes but it aint bad

I think all that gets overshadowed by one of the big points of the film is "The Joker is a Terrorist".

He uses simple means and methods and moves constantly and with a small crew and because he'll do infinity worse to you then the good guys his allies will never talk.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

Yeah, that's the one voice everyone throws out, but that's a kind of voice anyone can do if they know how to work their vocal chords that way.

That is also how Scott McNeil does Waspinator. And how the VA of Garret from the thief series voiced Karras in Thief 2.

It doesn't change the fact that 99% of his roles are indistinguishably Stephen Blum. There is some variation between most of his roles, but the vast majority of them are not significantly different.

He's not a bad actor by any means, I think. I just don't notice much significant difference between the roles he typically gets called for, after having heard them all so much that they all just bleed together with very few exceptions.

Or Yakky Doodle, but then again, yeah a lot of people can do a duck voice if know the trick. I don't think that's right, either because Orochimaru doesn't sound at all like Leeron or Roger Smith or Grunt, now they all sound like they are performances by the same actor, but calling it the same voice is not accurate either. They are fundamentally different performances, and spotting an actor doesn't invalidate it at all. Like Eeyore and Optimus Prime are pretty clearly the same dude but I don't think of those as being remotely the same voice.

I still would call it more overexposure than lack of ability.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    Ok so can anyone explain Huntress to me?

Specifically

126421_v1.jpg

Were time travel shenanigans involved or something?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    What the fuck is that

That is fucking creepy

• Options
    It really, really is.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    His voice tends to kill line delivery

that's what a bad voice does

you're a broken record

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular

he does it well

he's famous for it

but it's one voice

WHHAT

I'm pretty sure I've shown you this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3hsdevGgwU

• Options
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    His voice tends to kill line delivery

that's what a bad voice does

you're a broken record

Y tu tambien

This discussion has been closed.