As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Joe Paterno, dead at 85

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited January 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/us/pennsylvania-obit-paterno/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Fired this past November for his role in a sexual abuse scandal alleged against a former assistant coach, Paterno was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He reentered the hospital a few weeks ago after suffering a broken pelvis related to cancer therapy, and died early this morning. A candlelight vigil was held on-campus for him last night.

He was voted National Coach of the Year 5 times, and became the winningest coach in NCAA football last year.

Atomika on

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Karma's a bitch.

The guy deserved worse and deserves no sympathy or pity.

Cade on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    A broken pelvis from cancer therapy? Was he a super adventure club member?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    A broken pelvis from cancer therapy? Was he a super adventure club member?

A lot of chemical therapies can decrease bone density, which is already pretty shit in older folks. Also, if cancers metastasize to bone tissue, they can erode them from within. There's a long history of people only finding out about their rampant bone cancer after suddenly breaking a bone, usually after only a slight trauma.

Cancer is basically a bitch, and the treatment even moreso. It's kind of like setting you on fire to treat your hypothermia.

• Options
    Yes I know. I was making a joke in poor taste.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Cade wrote:
    Karma's a bitch.

Fired for failing to respond adequately to ALLEGED sexual misconduct by a staffer, and then dead of cancer a few months later. Yea - guy totally got off easy.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Deserved worse than lung cancer? What a horrifying justice system you are proposing.

• Options
    ED! wrote:
    Cade wrote:
    Karma's a bitch.

Fired for failing to respond adequately to ALLEGED sexual misconduct by a staffer, and then dead of cancer a few months later. Yea - guy totally got off easy.

Well yeah except he himself admitted he should have done more but he didn't want to tarnish the weekends or some stupid bs like that also yes having only a few months to live the shame of allowing children to be violated when you could have done something is pretty easy especially now that penn state and co will redouble their efforts to saint him

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I don't think ALLEGED needs to be in caps. Maybe SEXUAL MISCONDUCT needs to be in caps. Or, LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE TESTIFYING OVER A LONG PERIOD OF TIME.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    also "sexual misconduct" is a pretty broad brush that covers a lot of misdeeds. An off-color joke in the workplace could be sexual misconduct.

Try "child rape".

• Options
    Kagera wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    Cade wrote:
    Karma's a bitch.

Well yeah except he himself admitted he should have done more but he didn't want to tarnish the weekends or some stupid bs like that also yes having only a few months to live the shame of allowing children to be violated when you could have done something is pretty easy especially now that penn state and co will redouble their efforts to saint him

All I've seen him admit to, is that at 80 or however old he was, he was scared to rock the boat over an allegation and instead passed the buck onto someone else, who in turn dropped the ball. So nope, still not seeing how dying of cancer after being directly linked in social circles outside of Penn to molestation, measures up as some appropriate punishment.

• Options
    It's not appropriate it is in fact pretty minor

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Christ, I wonder if those idiots will riot again. Obviously it wouldn't be as simple as taking to the streets just because their hero has died, but if they feel that Paterno's legacy isn't being appropriately honored in the aftermath of his death then the lingering anger from his firing might be reignited.

Also, in my mind the punishment wasn't death, but rather seeing his reputation in shambles and knowing that everything he'd accomplished wasn't enough to make up for his failure to do the right thing when it really mattered.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    He wasn't even fired he was retired

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Deserved worse than lung cancer? What a horrifying justice system you are proposing.

I feel bad for immediately snickering at a mental image of a judge sentencing someone to 60 Marlboro Reds a day.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I feel bad for immediately snickering at a mental image of a judge sentencing someone to 60 Marlboro Reds a day.

To the asbestos chamber!

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Christ, I wonder if those idiots will riot again. Obviously it wouldn't be as simple as taking to the streets just because their hero has died, but if they feel that Paterno's legacy isn't being appropriately honored in the aftermath of his death then the lingering anger from his firing might be reignited.

The kid who brought the fact that he was getting raped to light was bullied so hard he had to drop out of school because they blamed him for Paterno's firing.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    What is the point of this thread?

• Options
    Cabezone wrote:

Joe paterno. He croaked. Now we are discussing it

• Options
    Kagera wrote:
    It's not appropriate it is in fact pretty minor

Tooooootally.
    "Hey, didja hear - JoePa is dead - justice is served!"
    "Sweet, now for Sandusky!"
    "Who?"
    Cabezone wrote:

To swap high-fives over the death of a geriatric from cancer for failing to personally drag Jerry Sandusky by the ear in front of Penn State President, and instead passed the buck to Penns Athletic Director (who in turn dropped the ball).

• Options
    Or to downplay the fact that the most influential person in the middle of a child molestation scandal didn't want to rock the boat and selectively ignored the snake in his roost.

Either way we are all on our high horses here

• Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    Won't be mourned by anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together.

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    ED! wrote:
    Cade wrote:
    Karma's a bitch.

“I didn’t know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was, So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn’t work out that way.”
    “He told me what he saw, and I said, what? He said it, well, looked like inappropriate, or fondling, I’m not quite sure exactly how he put it. I said you did what you had to do. It’s my job now to figure out what we want to do. So I sat around. It was a Saturday. Waited till Sunday because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing. And then I called my superiors and I said: ‘Hey, we got a problem, I think. Would you guys look into it?’ Cause I didn’t know, you know. We never had, until that point, 58 years I think, I had never had to deal with something like that. And I didn’t feel adequate

But sure, lung cancer is totally getting off too easy for a man who did exactly what he was supposed to.

By the way, one of the guys he reported to? He's the guy that the police report to. Sandusky also had retired a few years earlier to this coming to Paterno's attention.

• Options
    The police reported to that guy the same way the police report to the press he had no real jurisdiction or administrative control

• Options
    EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

I don't have any particular desire to rush to Joe Paterno's defense, but the guy did have about six decades of positive influence on a huge number of people. If Jonas Salk cured polio, then immediately set a homeless man loose in a game preserve to be his quarry, I think the moral capital of that first thing probably deserves some acknowledgement.

We can agree that there's some space between mourning the loss of a saint and celebrating the death of a monster. People (and history) are generally more complicated than that.

Edd on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Edd wrote:

I don't have any particular desire to rush to Joe Paterno's defense, but the guy did have about six decades of positive influence on a huge number of people. If Jonas Salk cured polio, then immediately set a homeless man loose in a game preserve to be his quarry, I think the moral capital of that first thing probably deserves some acknowledgement.

We can agree that there's some space between mourning the loss of a saint and celebrating the death of a monster. People (and history) are generally more complicated than that.

Welp, I know what the next Atomic Robo plot should be.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Great coach. Bad human being. He'll get no sympathy from me.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

People who take college football too seriously.

• Options
    Kagera wrote:
    Or to downplay the fact that the most influential person in the middle of a child molestation scandal didn't want to rock the boat and selectively ignored the snake in his roost.

Selectively ignoring? The guy didn't work for Paterno, or for Penn State for that matter. Beyond reporting it to exactly the people whose job it was to investigate this stuff, what exactly should the man have done? Publicly drug the guys name through mud for an allegation made by a graduate student?

I'm fairly confident were not only on horses of a different caliber, but that mine is a low seater.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    “I didn’t know exactly how to handle it and I was afraid to do something that might jeopardize what the university procedure was, So I backed away and turned it over to some other people, people I thought would have a little more expertise than I did. It didn’t work out that way.”
    I feel like this is the sort of thing you might want to follow up on.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Henroid wrote:

People who take college football too seriously.

College football can lead to dramatically improved outcomes for lots of people, as I've been pointing out in all the Sandusky related threads for two months. And Penn State is the very best case for that.

Compare the school's status when he arrived (tiny agricultural land grant school) to now (major research institution). As depressing as this may be, football has a LOT to do with that. Football got them their Big Ten invite, which is ALSO a research alliance (12 Big Ten schools + University of Chicago, a former member) that controls something like 10% of all research money in this country. Resulted in something like doubling PSU's research funding.

This is the positive for Paterno.

The negatives all involve his stubborn protection of his empire, which range from stupid bureaucratic crap to things like his profound failure in the Sandusky case.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    ED! wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:

To swap high-fives over the death of a geriatric from cancer for failing to personally drag Jerry Sandusky by the ear in front of Penn State President, and instead passed the buck to Penns Athletic Director (who in turn dropped the ball).

Seriously. Can we just lock this thread now? It's just going to be people feeling good about themselves because they can feel better than someone who was knocked off his high horse, and is now dead. Everything interesting to say was said at the time of the scandal, and now all that's left is the gloating.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I like how when children are molested and it comes out that many people seem so eager to have everyone stop talking about as soon as possible for various reasons.

And the only reason football has any positive impact on penn state or people is because of the seriousness with which people take sports.

Kagera on
  • Options
    Like it isn't hey let's find out how to stop it or keep the story in the spotlight so the next person in paternos shoes acts more assertively but lets save face here because that'll help the victims of the next Sandusky.

• Options
    ED! wrote:
    Kagera wrote:

Selectively ignoring? The guy didn't work for Paterno, or for Penn State for that matter. Beyond reporting it to exactly the people whose job it was to investigate this stuff, what exactly should the man have done? Publicly drug the guys name through mud for an allegation made by a graduate student?

I'm fairly confident were not only on horses of a different caliber, but that mine is a low seater.

Paterno didn't report anything to the police. Only to the person responsible for funding the police on campus. Which did nothing. He should have talked to a detective at said police force and taken McQueary with him to do it. And also kicked Sandusky out of the campus altogether once he knew something shady was going on, whether when McQueary told him or by noticing the police investigation into Sandusky a decade earlier.

Paterno didn't even do the absolute minimum to protect the students on the campus. That's why he deserves the scorn send his way.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    I like how when children are molested and it comes out that many people seem so eager to have everyone stop talking about as soon as possible for various reasons.

I feel completely vindicated in my opinion, because this is completely stupid. This isn't a thread about the actual molesting, the actual criminal, or anything about the circumstances that would promote further incidents or not. It also isn't 'as soon as possible', it's months after the incident, during which the events were discussed intensely and thoroughly. This isn't a whitewashing or a coverup, this is me being tired of watching a morality circle jerk with nothing interesting to say.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ED! wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:

Seriously. Can we just lock this thread now? It's just going to be people feeling good about themselves because they can feel better than someone who was knocked off his high horse, and is now dead. Everything interesting to say was said at the time of the scandal, and now all that's left is the gloating.

Feeling better than an child molester enabler is fairly easy to do. Not that anyone in this thread is gloating. Why are you against people being on their "high horse"? The case is pretty clear. So what if he's dead? He was still scum for protecting Sandusky when he was alive.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Except that's not what you're doing. Through 30 pages of the whole Sandusky thread, maybe a page was actually dedicated to saying "Wow our system is fucked, how can we improve it." Because legally, he did nothing wrong. Morally, he probably fell short, but only because the people he trusted to manage the situation, because it was their jobs and legal responsibility to, failed. They would not be on trial if they were not culpable.

As for the in charge of police thing, the UP Police chief himself testified in court that he had weekly meetings with Schultz over police matters. Yeah, McQuerey should have gone right to the police. Joe probably should have turned his ass around and marched him there. He said he didn't know how to handle it, I believe that to a point.

In the late 90's my grandfather passed away at 79. The man was sharp, intelligent, and trend savvy. After he retired from his managerial job at Nickle's Bakery, he ran a little shuttle service in Ft. Lauderdale. He had a cell phone when they were still Zach Morris Bricks. He had a pimped out van with TV and VCR in like 1992. He had a home computer and internet access as long as I can remember. But up to the day he died, we got into arguments about evolution and such. He was not a dumb man, and he was not against changing his beliefs, but it was something he just could not grasp.

It seems like this was the same case. It wasn't malicious. It wasn't to protect Penn State, or Sandusky. It was just something that he didn't grasp the seriousness of, and failed to act with the vehemence required by today's culture. That alone, definitely made him unfit to keep coaching. Penn State fans often worried that he would fail to adapt in some way, and the end would be messy. We assumed it would have came on the football field in a vein similar to Bobby Bowden and just a failure to win. Instead it was a social failing where Joe trusted those around him and they failed in their duties, and he assumed their failing meant it wasn't a big deal. He was wrong, and it rightly cost him his job. If you cannot grasp the importance of those kinds of allegations in this day and age, then no, you should not be in the position where you have to deal with them.

But the amount of good he has done for the school is immeasurable. He has personally donated tens of millions of dollars, rough estimates put him directly or indirectly responsible for hundreds of millions to the University in funding. He consistently maintained some of the highest graduating averages in college, while actually winning consistently for 46 years. Say what you will about "Oh they don't get real degrees" but if it's so easy, why is it so hard for other colleges? Penn State was also one of only a handful of schools that graduated it's non-white players at an equal or greater rate than it's white players.

He helped build a powerhouse educational institution out of an agricultural school in a valley full of cow fields that now has a world campus and is considered by pretty much every major list to be a top 50 university world wide. To push all of that good he did aside, and revel in his death because of his one failing is as morally irresponsible as what he did. Take what he did both wrong and right, learn from it, and try to be a better person for it.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm sorry for his family, it's always unfortunate to lose a loved one

• Options
    He was still scum for protecting Sandusky when he was alive.

Reaches like this ridiculous line of reasoning is why I refrained from the actual thread this new one should be in.

• Options
    MorgensternMorgenstern ICH BIN DER PESTVOGEL DU KAMPFAFFE!Registered User regular
    Maybe you should avoid this one because you seem to think that actively going out of his way to pass the buck and being called a scum bag for doing it some how a ridiculous line of reasoning.

“Every time we walk along a beach some ancient urge disturbs us so that we find ourselves shedding shoes and garments or scavenging among seaweed and whitened timbers like the homesick refugees of a long war.” - Loren Eiseley