As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Share With Us Your Sordid and Recent Past

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    when confronted with this many thoroughly abhorrent specimens of humanity I could react no other way

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    so do you just like not get boners?

• Options
    I emit a kind of magnetic field that prevents boners from forming within thirty feet of me

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ackack Registered User regular
    so you deffo weren't cranking out loads in the oh seven

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm genuinely wondering

• Options
    my boner could get through your field, though

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    5 years ago I had just "delurked" and begun posting.
    I was 27, lived in Seattle, and was working at either the startup company or Big Fish and was preparing to return to school for game programming.

Now I live in SoCal, which has nicer weather, but I miss all my friends from Seattle.
    I am working at the job of my dreams, which I wouldn't have imagined possible if you had told me 5 years ago!

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Cornell002Cornell002 Registered User regular
    5 years ago, I was freshly 18, Freshman in College, and living at home.

Come a looooong way since then

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    my life has not changed at all
    ever

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Five years ago I was living in Tanzania, and by that point in the year I was beginning to actually enjoy it. Weirdest year ever. Oh, and I was 13 and kind of a dumbass but learning lessons on life

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I was 12 five years ago.

It was, uh, simpler times? I'unno.

I'm almost 18 now and really don't what to do with my life in the future.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    5 years ago I was in middle school.

Whoa.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Middle school was some weird shit, dude.

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    I was in new hampshire freezing my buns off, probably staring out the window wondering if I should wander into the woods and become a yeti

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    Five years ago I was married, living in Eugene, and working on my master's degree. I was pretty miserable for the most part. In hindsight, my divorce was one of the best things to happen to me.

My life isn't great now, but I don't live with an emotionally abusive crzay person.

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    I have made a lot of bad decisions is what I am trying to say

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    5 years ago I was 13 in 7th grade, mostly friendless and fatter. I'm at a lower weight now than I was in midfle school, haha. Life was pretty bad up until this last year really. Maybe ill go into detail when im not posting from phone.

• Options
    Shock G wrote:
    I have made a lot of bad decisions is what I am trying to say

you really should've become a yeti

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Huntera wrote:
    I was 12 five years ago.

It was, uh, simpler times? I'unno.

I'm almost 18 now and really don't what to do with my life in the future.
    what the fuck I thought you were 20 something

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i've always thought that huntera was older than me

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote:
    Middle school was some weird shit, dude.

definitely

it was a bizarre hybrid between Elementary and High, with the best and worst of both

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    me too

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    5 years ago (today actually), I was at the airport picking up the now wife at the airport after she spent 6 months teaching in China.

I proposed to her 3 days later :)

Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Middle school was Bad Times for me

• Options
    I am but a youngin'.

Drove a friend and I to school for the first time today.

• Options
    huntera is actually a child

five years ago he wasn't even a twinkle in some dude's eye

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    jeeez you're young

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I should totally do something nice for her on Thurs...

Thanks for the reminder @Vivixenne

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Huntera you

You should maybe not read my posts under you're an adult a lot of this content is deeply inappropriate for someone of your tender years

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    5 years ago...

I was 21 (22 in march), got kicked out of university, girlfriend broke up with me, moved to Alberta with some friends on a whim. After a couple shitty jobs I got an ok one at IBM, and that takes me to the end of that year. Alberta was good times.

Now: Almost done college, have a job interview lined up with a company where if I get hired, I will be set for life. Moved back in with my parents which sucks.... but I'll be into my own place before the end of this year.

So yeah, I had some fuck ups but now things are looking up!

Also holy shit, youngins

• Options
    LuvCherieLuvCherie Registered User regular
    In January of 2007, I was 25 years old and we had been living in the Seattle area for just over a year. I still wasn't able to work due to my Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue and was stuck at home most of the time, but my health was improving. By the time June rolled around, my health had improved to a point that I knew I could handle a part-time office job. Within a couple weeks I had my first "adult" job working for a structural engineer. This was a really big deal because I hadn't expected to ever be able to work a steady job. I ended up with the best boss ever, which was fully proven when I got very sick 1.5 years later and was once again stuck at home. I couldn't work at all for several months and my boss just kept telling me to focus on getting well. After a year of tests and doctors and very few answers I recovered enough to work from home. My boss set me up so I could telecommute and I worked when I was able over the next 6 months. Unfortunately, with the economy as it was, he had to lay off both of us employees. The timing really sucked because my hubby was between jobs, a friend who was in a tough spot was living with us, and we now had zero income coming in. I was honestly scared that we would end up homeless.

I pushed myself to find a full-time job, and ended up with two part-time jobs. One was working retail and the other was working from home doing web/marketing stuff, so it seemed as ideal as it could get. About a month after starting my new jobs my hubby got his current job. It was a good thing too because two months later I was laid off from the retail job for "economic reasons," again. At this point I saw I had a choice. Get another part-time job or finally go back to school. Since job #2 allowed me to work a flexible schedule, I saw it as my best chance to be able to go back to school and finish my degree in Web Development, so I took it. Two months into the quarter I realized how silly it was to be pursuing a degree in a field that I didn't intend to work in long term. It was what I had always done and I was good at it, but I wasn't passionate about the work. What I really wanted was to pursue my jewelry business and music and maybe open a store someday, so I changed degree programs to a double major of Entrepreneurship and Music. I kept working job #2, but it just wasn't going well. For whatever reason we had difficulty working together and I was miserable. After much discussion and internal debate, I quit my job in order to give my jewelry business a real chance to become something more than just a hobby. It was the scariest, hardest decision I've ever made, but it was also the best. I now go to school full-time and run my own business. I love what I do and I'm happier than I've ever been!

In the last 5 years I went from being stuck at home to running my own business while being a full-time student. I never in a million years would have thought I'd be doing what I do or as much as I do today. The last 5 years are proof that things can and will get better if you work hard to make it happen. Just keep pushing through and you will get there!

"I have many skills."
    Making: LuvCherie Jewelry
    Writing: Fibropreneur.com
    Shopping: Amazon Wishes
    Socializing: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
    Gaming: Xbox Live, Playstation, Steam
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    sigh

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Five years ago I was a senior in high school applying for college.

I was senior class vice president, drama club president and knowledge bowl vice president.

I was also a fiend a monster. Most of my most insidious acts were in 2006-2007.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    5 years ago, I was still fresh out of college and working a contract IT job for a locally based bank that had just been bought out by a national bank.

Just the month before, I had flown up to Nebraska to propose to Sier so I was starting to look for something more stable.

Now, I'm happily married and enjoying my life.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Let's see five years ago I was in high school unmotivated hanging out not deserving what I had.

Still the same actually just floating measly through college I should grow up.

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Lessee... five years ago I was 18 and had been living out here for about two months, was fully snared by WoW, and just starting at the community college. I fully withdrew from CSU Humboldt because I knew I was going to fail spectacularly and probably did not have it in me to stay off academic probation, and knew I would wind up in prison if I had to live with my brother again, so moving out to Maui and living with Mom was the best choice I had. I was in better shape back then, still needed the glasses, but about 20 pounds lighter and mostly muscle instead of fat. Socially dead, but I moved 3000 miles so that wasn't surprising...

Fast forward and I'm still at the comm college, but I've finally got what I need to transfer to the university on Oahu, including some notion of what I want to actually do with my life, I've reconnected with a lot of friends from high school, and I'm counting the days until I quit playing WoW. Have had a job for most of the last five years, one of them continuously since October 2007, and I'm almost done with that too. I'm better at troubleshooting computers, can do minor auto repair, haven't fallen into a depressed funk in a long time, and can talk to people more easily. Still bad when it comes to girls though.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    5 years ago I didn't tell people to show me their dongs

• Options
    hey, you're transferring to UH?

I go there I am in macroeconomics right now

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    5 years ago I was still eating gluten and thus, basically whatever the fuck I wanted

today: No gluten. I haven't had a single beer in over a year. Honest to god some days I just fucking crave it. I barely drink alcohol as it is, I'm nothing close to an alcoholic. I just want a fucking beer

that GF crap isn't a proper substitute for taste

I am horrified that one day I will actually forget what beer tastes like completely