As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Theory of the Leisure [chat]

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Veblen today would be considered a sociologist, I think. And politely ignored in economics. You need to build the mechanism in terms of the neoclassics, for good or for ill, with stylized assertions on individual or aggregate behavior explicitly marked and any emergent phenomena explicitly derived.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Continuing a theme of door locks:

A thief broke into my parent's house a couple years back, when they were (thankfully) out. Part of a crime wave in the region, since suppressed. Somehow the thie(ves?) jumped a two-meter-high spiked fence, used some kind of blowtorch to dismantle the kitchen's metal window grilles, smashed the solid hardwood bedroom doors and pried out the push-knob door locks, and forced a lot of locked drawers for valuables. Apparently they forced open one of the drawers I had in my old bedroom. I hope they found my toys of yesteryear amusing.

Still, better than what happened a couple of doors down: some robbers armed with knives waited for a neighbor to open a gate to drive their car out, then blocked the car and tried to force the driver out by taking their kid hostage. A passing (unarmed!) neighborhood volunteer patrol managed to intimidate them into leaving. Since the patrol was unarmed, the patrol decided not to try and detain them... so the robbers came back a few hours later with friends, broke in, and beat the neighbor with sticks. They couldn't open the gate to take the car, so they beat up the car too.

Bleh.

this...this didn't happen in London did it?

//hires a bodyguard

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I gotta pee and this bus ride is taking FOREVER.

Also, in my human sexuality course, we took the Kinsey quiz that Americans failed in 1989. So far I am passing with flying colors. We finish getting the answers on Wednesday.

Mim is a sex genius. Er, when taking quizzes on it.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Kalkino wrote:
    ronya wrote:

A thief broke into my parent's house a couple years back, when they were (thankfully) out. Part of a crime wave in the region, since suppressed. Somehow the thie(ves?) jumped a two-meter-high spiked fence, used some kind of blowtorch to dismantle the kitchen's metal window grilles, smashed the solid hardwood bedroom doors and pried out the push-knob door locks, and forced a lot of locked drawers for valuables. Apparently they forced open one of the drawers I had in my old bedroom. I hope they found my toys of yesteryear amusing.

Still, better than what happened a couple of doors down: some robbers armed with knives waited for a neighbor to open a gate to drive their car out, then blocked the car and tried to force the driver out by taking their kid hostage. A passing (unarmed!) neighborhood volunteer patrol managed to intimidate them into leaving. Since the patrol was unarmed, the patrol decided not to try and detain them... so the robbers came back a few hours later with friends, broke in, and beat the neighbor with sticks. They couldn't open the gate to take the car, so they beat up the car too.

Bleh.

//hires a bodyguard

Hell no. The glorious third world.

e: and as part of a local-recession-induced crime wave that subsided in a matter of months.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ronya, if I remember correctly, it's a code violation for new construction to have push button locks on a knob that can't be removed quickly. It's a child safety thing. I believe there is an exception if the door has a key mechanism since there will be a higher grade lock involved.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:

Also, in my human sexuality course, we took the Kinsey quiz that Americans failed in 1989. So far I am passing with flying colors. We finish getting the answers on Wednesday.

I thought the Kinsey quiz was the way to put you on a scale of exclusively heterosexual to exclusively homosexual. how can you succeed or fail at it?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Generally if I'm dealing with a lock, there is an electric strike or maglock involved so I may be wrong. Locksmithing is it's own arcane art within security.

• Options
    ronya wrote:
    Kalkino wrote:
    ronya wrote:

Bleh.

//hires a bodyguard

Hell no. The glorious third world.

That is what I thought. Stick beatings are not so common here, for which I am thankful for

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Blah. Eating cornflakes with skimmed milk since that was all we had left.

I feel like I might as well have used water. This is sad milk.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:

I thought the Kinsey quiz was the way to put you on a scale of exclusively heterosexual to exclusively homosexual. how can you succeed or fail at it?

Different thing. When I get home in like 4 min I'll post what I'm talking about.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Coming back to beat up the owner of the car they didn't manage to get, and smashing the car because they still couldn't get it out, seems like the height of sour grapes.

(or, I guess, intimidating the owner from pursuing it as a police matter)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    I was just speaking to a really stupid customer.

I feel stupider for having had to listen to her.

:(

What did s/he say?

8->

We're phasing out our radio internet service and replacing it with whatever else is available in the customer's location (Satellite if cable or DSL is unavailable). This customer now has a cable 16Mbit connection and is complaining that it's so much slower than the radio service she had before.

The radio service was <1Mbit.

Bitch just doesn't like change.

• Options
    This place has a good beer menu. I think this trip home shall be nice, although I think I shall just drink NZ beers, for a change

http://littlebeerquarter.co.nz/Beer

• Options
    and I went to this place for lunch yesterday.

http://stali.co.uk/menus/cafe.pdf

Australian and NZ cafes are the best. Cheap, very good food and fantastic coffee.

A few Melbourne cafes or roasteries seem to be opening London branches, which is nice

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Nutrition buffs of chat, is it true that you shouldn't peel fruits like apples and pears because there's tons of vitamins in the skin?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nutrition buffs of chat, is it true that you shouldn't peel fruits like apples and pears because there's tons of vitamins in the skin?

Apparently.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/281470-nutritional-facts-on-apple-peels/

• Options
    you shouldn't peel fruits like apples or pears since if you're waving a knife around anyway you may as well just slice it into bite-sizes and then eat them. With the skin.

[/not answering the question]

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    linking to a pdf

worse than the borg

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Nova_C wrote:

Apparently.
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/281470-nutritional-facts-on-apple-peels/

I see...

Well, I'll just pretend i never read that. i don't like peels.

(Seriously though, that's interesting...)
    Ludious wrote:
    linking to a pdf

worse than the borg

Why's that so bad?

21stCentury on
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular

Leave the skin on everything except chicken.

And take it off obvious stuff like bananas and citruses.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I want to take @Mim's sex quiz.

( @mim )

(Man this notification feature is jank.)

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i am pretty much a sex god

unfortunately i can't prove it because no one will have sex with me

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i just discovered glenn goulds favourite composer was actually richard strauss and not bach as he publicly claimed

lol

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Nutrition is not about eating things you like.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

How about cook-and-serve butterscotch pudding?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    man, is there anything more fucking boss than cutting a chicken into its serviceable parts in less than five minutes?

i will get there...one day...

You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

absence of proof yadda yadda

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    elendil, you should give dark souls another shot :wink:

• Options
    spool32 wrote:
    Nutrition is not about eating things you like.

it's about what facts you have to ignore to eat the things you like

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

Yet another argument for the existence of god that fails to convince anyone.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

No one wants to sleep with the God of Embarrassing and Uncomfortable Sex.

• Options
    the God of This Can Hardly Be Called Sex. A Mistake, Sure, But Not Sex

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    Feral wrote:

the hell is that?

Is that one of those British things that's offal inside the animal's own stomach?

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

I made candied orange peels for christmas and they were fantastic. (Well, the second batch was, screwed up the first)

(And I guess they were clementines, not oranges, but whatever)

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    you cant let animals get uppity with their body parts

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Blegh, those pear skins aren't very tasty.

The things i'm willing to do for better nutrition... yuck.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Feral wrote:

the hell is that?

Is that one of those British things that's offal inside the animal's own stomach?

I think it's a dessert made from butter and scotch.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    i just discovered glenn goulds favourite composer was actually richard strauss and not bach as he publicly claimed

lol

Yes well, liking Strauss is not something you admit just like. Its an important life decision. I mean what if his mother didn't know?

• Options
    Dammit, Walt, zip up your fly!

166898_10150521057795852_553645851_9167302_1291027028_n.jpg

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i seriously want a newer phone

or for cm9 to come out already gawd

This discussion has been closed.