As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

web design?

tallywhackertallywhacker Registered User new member
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
so i like hundreds of others want to start a web comic yet I'm clueless with a lot of technological stuff. My question is can anyone recommend some web design software/tool for people with next to no knowledge about it. I'm obviously going to learn more about it but would like a nice start off point.

Thanks - T.

tallywhacker on

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Try Wordpress with the Comicpress plug-in.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Just a head's up, you'll have to rely entirely on the mercy of the internet, specifically youtube videos for support.

Tyler Martin, who developed Comicpress, no longer really supports it as he mostly does private web design now. There's a community forum @ comicpress.org but for the last two months it's been spam hacked and there's no expectation it will be fixed any time soon, so it's pretty much dead as of now.

Frumph (that's the guy's twitter handle) over at frumph.net took over support and dev of comicpress, and there's no forum on his site at this time either. He does respond on twitter but hasn't been online for a while so who knows.

There's another comic plugin for wordpress called webcomic + inkblot that seems to work well and still has community support.

Finally, there's a dude named brad who made a wordpress plugin called StripShow http://stripshow.monkeylaw.org/ that adds comic functionality to pretty much any theme, and I think he made a few base themes as well. He has a forum and checks it pretty regularly. I used to run stripshow on an older comic and he was very helpful. I kicked a few bucks his way through paypal and he basically redesigned my site for me in his spare time.

Good luck!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • tallywhackertallywhacker Registered User new member
    wow thanks this is really helpful, should be enough to get me started :D