As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Oscars Pool 2012 Champion is...Bogey! Again! Thrice in Four Years! Make him prizes!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    but in a kind of fascinating way

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Man, how did I get Documentary, Short Doco, Foreign Language, and Short Live Action? Throw in Animated and I'm 5 from 6 for non-best-picture feature films. Everything but short animated. Madness!

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    hey everyone want to read something gross and racist and weirdly homophobic or whatever? go read nikki finke's live post from the oscars (at deadline.com)

fuckin' gross

There is something seriously wrong with this woman.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    hey everyone want to read something gross

Nah.

Walked to the theater, the GM was in but he hadn't tallied the ballots for the work Oscars pool yet. Last time I got 16 and was in a four-way tie for first. This time 15 is probably a loser, but I wanted to check, because the prize there is gift certificates for restaurants and free food is a favourite.

• Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    Bogey, you are now the New England Patriots of Oscar picks. Now everyone can breathe a sigh of release knowing they have a shot as you won't win another one though you will come close in the next 8 years.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Pretty boring show this year, all told

I agreed with most of the choices, except for Octavia Spencer, I would have given it to Jessica Chastain

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close got nominated for anything at all

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Pretty boring show this year, all told

I agreed with most of the choices, except for Octavia Spencer, I would have given it to Jessica Chastain

I'm still trying to figure out how the hell Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close got nominated for anything at all

I think the general consensus earlier was nepotism.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    jim rash doing the angelina jolie leg pose was hands down the highlight of the night

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    And now we're up to another three-year streak where Best Sound Mixing is the same winner as Best Sound Editing. Last times we had those were 1997-1999 and 1981-1983.

• Options
    Guess I need to see Hugo

It and The Tree of Life are the only two Best Picture nominated films I didn't see

Well those and War Horse

But fuck War Horse

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    hottest bitches of the night

natalie portman

angelina jolie

cameron diaz

jennifer lopez

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    how dare you leave out Penelope Cruz and Emma Stone

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've always loved Angelina Jolie but she's looking like a skeleton these days, it's disgusting

Emma Stone was wonderful and vibrant tonight as always. Michelle Williams looked absolutely stunning.

EDIT: Wait, and Diaz and Lopez? Really?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Gwyneth Paltrow didn't look half bad, but I think I like her better as a redhead/brunette.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    how dare you leave out Penelope Cruz and Emma Stone

yeah them too

emma stone has looked waaay hotter before though

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    tumblr_m016l3dRhN1qdiavno1_500.jpg

I guess Tebowing is okay when it's RDJ doing it

NOBODY ELSE THOUGH

• Options
    on further review milla jovovich and rose byrne are added to the list

• Options
    I didn't even catch that's what he was doing

• Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Heisenberg wrote: »
    hottest bitches of the night

natalie portman

angelina jolie

cameron diaz

jennifer lopez

this post

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Milla Jovovich looked stunning

Wow, Gwyneth Paltrow looks pretty good, she usually wears rather unflattering or very bland gowns

Angelina Jolie should put that leg away

Jessica Chastain reminds me why I <3 Alexander McQueen

Octavia Spencer looks lovely

Michelle Williams's necklace is worth $1m, really?!

Natalie Portman looks cute and her waist is so tiny

George Clooney's girlfriend looks particularly Oscar appropriate, like a life-sized statuette (I mean that in a nice way!)

Glenn Close looks rather fabulous

• Options
    Best Picture should have gone to Drive

Just saying

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    Emma Stone's dress was retarded

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    only adjective I can think of to describe it right now

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    "Nothing can take the sting out of the world's economic problems like watching millionaires present each other with golden statues" was Billy's best line of the night.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Milla Jovovich looked stunning

Wow, Gwyneth Paltrow looks pretty good, she usually wears rather unflattering or very bland gowns

Angelina Jolie should put that leg away

Jessica Chastain reminds me why I <3 Alexander McQueen

Octavia Spencer looks lovely

Michelle Williams's necklace is worth $1m, really?!

Natalie Portman looks cute and her waist is so tiny

George Clooney's girlfriend looks particularly Oscar appropriate, like a life-sized statuette (I mean that in a nice way!)

Glenn Close looks rather fabulous
    I know she will prbably end up more famous for being Clooney's latest armcandy but you should google Stacy Keibler and discover one of the worst stage names ever in Miss Hancock.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Well, congratulations are in order for Bogey, you picked well.

This was fun, I'll definitely do it again next year.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    tumblr_m016l3dRhN1qdiavno1_500.jpg

I guess Tebowing is okay when it's RDJ doing it

NOBODY ELSE THOUGH

i just wanna nibble that man all over

• Options
    Kochi, you stay away from RDJ, he is mine, and I will fight you for him.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    For Bogey, I will make. . .

Nothing.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Wait why did RDJ Tebow

I didn't watch the show

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    He was pooping.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    my girlfriend and I thought he was doing some dumb iron man pose. we do not follow football

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Gwyneth Paltrow didn't look half bad, but I think I like her better as a redhead/brunette.

8->

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    crash winning over brokeback mountain
    ugghhh

both were not good movies
    good night and good luck, capote, and munich were the competition too
    I love Munich

so much

Munich is an absolutely ridiculously good movie. Why the hell isn't it out on blu ray?

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    The reason The Artist won best picture is because that is the film that people were the most passionate about this year. It was the most loved.

Maybe you don't love it as much as The Academy, but that's plain and simple the only reason it won. There's no agenda, just adoration. How can you argue with that?

It's the same for almost every year.

2011: The Tree of Life was a greater artistic accomplishment, A Separation is unmatched in emotional effect, Drive is a fan favourite destined to be a cult classic, and Take Shelter is the film that will gain respect in the future. But most love? That goes to The Artist.

2010: There really wasn't much competition that year. The King's Speech had audiences, critics, and clearly, The Academy's love. You could claim there were greater accomplishments that year, but The King's Speech obviously had the love.

2009: This year was a bit trickier. Avatar had the box office success (and yes, The Academy does like a film that wins at the box office), but other than on a technical level, the film was flat and people knew it. A Serious Man was the great artistic accomplishment of the year, but it's audience appeal was small. Up probably had the most love, but being an animated feature, it likely wasn't going to win. The rule is broken! The Hurt Locker was the obvious underdog, and really, all that was left that had a chance. Plus, hey, it was a good movie and the first time a female director has ever won. It makes a good story.

2008: Again, Benjamin Button was the artistic accomplishment, Milk was the great social commentary, Frost/Nixon had the great performances, The Reader fucking blew, and Slumdog Millionaire had the passion. It was the movie people talked about. It was pretty obviously going to win.

2007: That year was between No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood, but No Country was more popular and more talked about. That year was obvious.

Anyway, I could do this all day but I think I've already gone too far. The point is, don't look at what is actually the "Best" picture of the year, or your own personal favourite. Don't look at the movie's critics think are the most important, or most impressive, but look at where their hearts really are. It's usually pretty easy to tell.

The win in recent history where that wasn't true was Crash over Brokeback Mountain. Brokeback had it all, and nobody gave a shit about Crash. But then again, Brokeback had a couple of gays in it, so that might not have helped.

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    although I think Meryl Streep winning yet another Oscar was pretty ridiculous too

Man, she hasn't won an Oscar in like 30 years.

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    although I think Meryl Streep winning yet another Oscar was pretty ridiculous too

Man, she hasn't won an Oscar in like 30 years.

Yeah, she has a ton of nominations, but this is only her third win. She deserved it.

Too bad it's such a shit film.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    No Country was also a better film.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    How many did I get right? I'm guessing zero-ish.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai9NR4mYqf6ydFVMbThSMmpYbEJTQ1BFMXoxTGJmSVE

The 2nd sheet with all the colors is the one where the verified/correct scores are. You got 9, Geek