As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

French Fry Eating Competition (Also, Esh eats two pounds of fries on Youtube)

Achilles Last StandAchilles Last Stand Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
This Saturday I am entering an eating contest sponsored by a local beer bar called Hopcat in Grand Rapids.

I need to eat two pounds of these
10476519-large.jpg
for a chance at $500 dollars. First to finish wins. Last year's winner did it in about six minutes.

Has anyone ever done an eating contest before? If so, any advice? I have only ever done one eating contest before and I ate three paczki's (Donuts on steroids) in less then two minutes.

steam_sig.png
Achilles Last Stand on

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I can only tell you that I talked to a guy who works in health/fitness and he's met a bunch of competitive eaters. They have strange strategies that temporarily expand their stomach- like drinking lots of water a certain amount of time before the event. There's a process. Wish I knew more than that, but it's more than just "don't eat breakfast."

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    some of what I said confirmed here: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=111506

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I know for hotdogs they dip the buns in water to make them easier to swallow. Dont know if that applies to french fries at all but you could try dunking them in the beer or whatever before hand and see if that helps.

• Options
    KatoKato Registered User regular
    I don't have much to offer, but I am curious as to how much time you have to eat 2 pounds of french fries? That seems like a fun eating contest :)

Signature??
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    It's not timed, but last year's winner finished in under 6 minutes. My goal (Who knows if it's possible) is 8oz every minute for a four minute completion. But who knows if that math would actually work.

And yeah, the contest is going to be fun. All the entry fees go to a local women/children's shelter, and the bar matches all the entry fees.

Edit: Also, thank you Sharp10r for that link - I did a google search and just wound up finding a bunch of records. Although it is interesting to know that the world record for cow brain eating is 17 pounds in 10 minutes.

Achilles Last Stand on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If you aren't on a time limit you don't need to worry about stuff like using water to avoid the need for chewing and so on. You can actually get some enjoyment from your fries.

The big thing is getting your stomach ready; people have the idea they should fast before they do something like this, but really that's a bad idea. It just makes your stomach shrink, making it tough to eat a bunch of food all at once.

Eat a solid meal 24 hours or so prior, then a light-ish breakfast/lunch on the day of. You should be appropriately hungry by the time french fry time rolls around.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    If you aren't on a time limit you don't need to worry about stuff like using water to avoid the need for chewing and so on. You can actually get some enjoyment from your fries.
    It sounds like there isn't a time limit, but it's still a competition between ALS and whoever else is entering, so he's going to want to eat them faster then the other contestants. Because if the bar was offering 500 bucks to anyone that could put down 2 pounds of their fries, they'd likely go broke fairly quickly.

I've never done an eating contest, so the only advice I can offer would be found hearsay on google, probably searching for "Preparing for an eating contest".

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine two pounds of fries being that difficult to eat. I'm 5'10 and 160lbs and I could do that no problem. I'm kinda thinking there's going to be a lot of people easily doing it and then they randomly pick a winner?

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    Whoever gets done first wins?

y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Demerdar wrote:

From the way the OP is discussing it, it doesn't sound timed.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Demerdar wrote:

From the way the OP is discussing it, it doesn't sound timed.

The don't have to time it, you just put a bowl with 2lbs of fries in front of each person, say GO! and whoever is done first wins.

I'd say maintaining a constant flow is key, like grab a handful of fries and start chomping them in and have another handful pushing those down.

Also don't choke (double entendre lol)

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Edit: Bah!

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I remember watching a documentary show on competitive eaters, and one of the guys who was trying to break into the 'sport' ate massive bowls of romaine to expand his stomach. I don't know if that helps you at all in this kind of time frame. Honestly its a lot of food, but its not a "How does that fit in your stomach?" amount of food. Its gonna be a pacing thing. Honestly I don't know if fullness would even register in a 5 min time frame.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular

The big thing is getting your stomach ready; people have the idea they should fast before they do something like this, but really that's a bad idea. It just makes your stomach shrink, making it tough to eat a bunch of food all at once.

Eat a solid meal 24 hours or so prior, then a light-ish breakfast/lunch on the day of. You should be appropriately hungry by the time french fry time rolls around.

Although he isn't on a "time limit", he still will want to eat them quickly.
    The "I'm full" signal from your stomach takes 15 minutes to reach your brain.
    People who are dieting are typically told to chew their food slowly which is part of helping them lose weight; it takes time to do that, which means they will end up eating less.

So if you are afraid of getting full quickly, you don't want to take your time, really.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Hopcat is a sweet bar.

That is all.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    It sounds like this is for charity and that by finishing the 2lb of fries, you enter into a raffle to win $500. If it's a truly random, then finishing is easy -- have a big dinner the day before, and the day of, drink water only to help with hunger and to expand your stomach. Since this is only saturday, you can't do any real long-term training for it, though.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    I can't imagine two pounds of fries being that difficult to eat. I'm 5'10 and 160lbs and I could do that no problem. I'm kinda thinking there's going to be a lot of people easily doing it and then they randomly pick a winner?

You think that but most people's stomachs only comfortably hold about 2.5 (you can sort of figure out the golden mean by adding up the portions of all things on the plate at restaurants you find very filling...it'll be about 24-36 ozs) so 2 pounds of fries with a beer is tricky... What you want to do here is have a gallon of water for breakfast, then something like salad at a salad bar - and eat salad, stay away from all the dressing and good shit that turns it back into food - for breakfast, then pound water until about 3 hours before the event. You should be both fucking ravenous and have expanded your stomach.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I'm assuming the fastest eater gets the $500. He says in his second post last year's winner finished in under 6 minutes, which is kind of irrelevant if all finishers get put into a raffle

so he's going have to eat fast, not just be hungry

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote:
    I'm assuming the fastest eater gets the $500. He says in his second post last year's winner finished in under 6 minutes, which is kind of irrelevant if all finishers get put into a raffle

6 minutes for 2lbs of fries? Sissies. I'm gonna test this out this week.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    y2jake215 wrote:

Please god point a camera at it I don't see any way it can not be full of win

• Options
    Esh wrote:
    y2jake215 wrote:

Please god point a camera at it I don't see any way it can not be full of win

I'll do it!

• Options
    Sorry for being a bit unclear, I cleaned the first post up a little bit.

Anyways, I am just drinking a nalgene bottle full of water a few times a day. Eating a head of cabbage/big thing of salad does not really sound like a good time. On friday I will have a normal lunch and then a normal dinner. Saturday, I will have a medium sized breakfast, then some herbal tea around noonish. The contest is at 3pm.

Also, I got a from them to sign a waiver. I know it's to cover them, but the fact it lists any "mental trauma due to the crack fries" makes me laugh.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Anyways, I am just drinking a nalgene bottle full of water a few times a day. Eating a head of cabbage/big thing of salad does not really sound like a good time. On friday I will have a normal lunch and then a normal dinner. Saturday, I will have a medium sized breakfast, then some herbal tea around noonish. The contest is at 3pm.

Also, I got a from them to sign a waiver. I know it's to cover them, but the fact it lists any "mental trauma due to the crack fries" makes me laugh.

Is there anything weird about the fries?

• Options
    Esh wrote:

Nah, just french fries with a house seasoning. I've had them a few times; Once with a Sloppy Joseph (sloppy joe with jalapenos) covered in a beer cheese sauce. They're very good and homemade. The guy who owns Hopcat doesn't do anything half-assed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Esh wrote:

Nah, just french fries with a house seasoning. I've had them a few times; Once with a Sloppy Joseph (sloppy joe with jalapenos) covered in a beer cheese sauce. They're very good and homemade. The guy who owns Hopcat doesn't do anything half-assed.

I was just checking to see if they were super-spicy or something for when I attempt the feat.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Esh are you seriously going to do this? Because yeah, video or it didn't happen.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ceres wrote:
    Esh are you seriously going to do this? Because yeah, video or it didn't happen.

My friend Amy is going to video it in the next coupla days hopefully. I'll post it in here.

The question is to whether buy a bag from the store or buy 6 large fries from McDonalds. Or, I could mix it up and toss some burgers in there...

Esh on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Two pounds of something like curly fries would be the closest to that picture, I think. And since you were talking specifically about how easy two pounds of fries would be to get down in 6 minutes, you should probably stick to fries.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ceres wrote:
    Two pounds of something like curly fries would be the closest to that picture, I think. And since you were talking specifically about how easy two pounds of fries would be to get down in 6 minutes, you should probably stick to fries.

Ok, fries at first. Maybe I'll do a series. You can sticky it at the top.

EDIT: Looks like a go for Friday. I'm going to make more than 2lbs just in case I can keep going. I'd like to see what I'm capable of.

Esh on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Bring one of these, pop the fries in (you'll probably need to do a couple batches at least, be sure to mash them in), add a bit of beer/water, down it in a few gulps.

OK, just kidding. But you would totally win.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    @Esh, it would be better if someone could videotape you trying to complete the Habanero Poppers challenge at Salvador Molly's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    DoctorArch wrote:
    @Esh, it would be better if someone could videotape you trying to complete the Habanero Poppers challenge at Salvador Molly's.

My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Only five of them? Can't be that bad can it?

EDIT: From a Yelp review...

Reactions at the table:
    Me- (1/2 fritter) turning pink in the face, tearing up and onset sweating
    bf- (1.5 fritters soaked in salsa) GBoF challenge is a no-go. Burned from the inside out all day yesterday and some today.
    friend 1:(1/4 fritter) eased the pain with guacamole
    friend 2: (1/2 fritter) looked like her bf just broke up with her, streaming tears no joke and water just spreads the pain. Expressed discomfort later in the day too, this time on the inside no less.

F. That.

Esh on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    <chuckle>

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d78a0f8bbf/man-v-food-super-spicy-fritters-in-portland

You can't blame me for trying to encourage you.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote:

Did he finish? It cuts off.

• Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Ohhh, two pounds in six minutes.

I was going to post about how unremarkable two pounds of fries seems, but in six minutes?

I mean, I'm 100% sure I could do it, but I definitely wouldn't want it on camera.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Oh wow, sorry Esh. Here's part two of the episode, and yes, he does finish the fritters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXExSZup-_I&amp;feature=related

Here's part one if you're interested, he goes to Stepping Stone Cafe for some Man-Cakes and (of course) gets VD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq5GRVmsBmI

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    By the way, I had my first Big Ass Sandwich last week. Damn that was good.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote:

Try Bunk for sandwiches. There's two in SE and one downtown.

• Options
    Esh wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:

Try Bunk for sandwiches. There's two in SE and one downtown.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll hit up Bunk the next time I'm in town.

• Options
    Esh wrote:
    ceres wrote:

Ok, fries at first. Maybe I'll do a series. You can sticky it at the top.

EDIT: Looks like a go for Friday. I'm going to make more than 2lbs just in case I can keep going. I'd like to see what I'm capable of.

You should also figure out if it's precooked or cooked weight (it's probably precooked in which case the fries are going to weigh probably 2.5 plus pounds cooked)

This discussion has been closed.